Started 5 months ago | Discussions
elliottnewcomb Forum Pro • Posts: 15,523
m6 1st photos, ocean grove

Handheld, Jpeg, Extra Fine, OOC, no PP, a few are cropped,

some house details

-- hide signature --

Elliott

elliottnewcomb's gear list:elliottnewcomb's gear list
Sony RX1R Olympus Stylus 1 Sony RX100 III Olympus Stylus 1s Sony RX100 VI +1 more
Canon EOS M6
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
OP elliottnewcomb Forum Pro • Posts: 15,523
Re: m6 1st photos, ocean grove

low light and 2 sunrises

-- hide signature --

Elliott

Sony RX1R Olympus Stylus 1 Sony RX100 III Olympus Stylus 1s Sony RX100 VI +1 more

some flowers, morning after rain, evening, dry

no pp except crop, cant tell what I got on this laptop screen, you know more than I at this point

-- hide signature --

Elliott

beach and kid stuff

-- hide signature --

Elliott

zoom,ooc, no cropping these

24, 70 (end of m3,4,5), 200mm

24, 100 (end of m1,2) 200mm

-- hide signature --

Elliott

I just shot a kids race on the beach, and lots of night shots, I will pick some in the am.

-- hide signature --

Elliott

Harvey Rawn
Harvey Rawn Senior Member • Posts: 2,632

Nice shots, Elliott, but they all look a little dark on my monitor. I see that you underexposed several of them, I wonder why.

-- hide signature --

Harvey
I stop for photo ops.

Harvey Rawn's gear list:Harvey Rawn's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-R1 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX10 Apple iPhone X

Hey Harvey,

Just hopping around trying things. I cannot tell on this laptop screen what I got, and using Sunny Weather on the LCD, on this new model, I am not sure yet if it shows what I am getting. I am anxious to get home to my monitor, and see what you see.

I often underexpose sunrise to capture more color, then I might lift them in PP, but truly don't know what I got. They might end up looking more like sunset, I don't care.

and, poor memory means I cannot remember what or why I tried something. Last night I shot a lot of night shots, a lot, these old homes have backlit stained glass windows, interesting old light fixtures, decoratice lighting highlighting the architecture, ...

I tried handheld, leaning on telephone poles or trees, resting on boardwalk benches, tops of cars, different speeds, ISO Auto and ISO MFNR.

Exif doesn't help you remember what you did.

-- hide signature --

Elliott

In the past, when the camera is not trying for a brighter image, I have gotten darker images with lower ISO, and lift the shadows of cleaner originals.

I didn't pay attention, you can see if under-exposed gives lower ISO by cutting expossure and half press, see answers on info line bottom of lcd.

I do something similar shooting kids sports. I look for 'just fast enough' for the action, hald press, see the ISO. then up the speed, half press, same ISO? use faster with no penalty, occassionally I have moved speed up quite a bit with no ISO change.

another thing I do, in bright light, is take a P shot, see what the camera would have used, and use that answer to help me make decisions.

Oh yeah, many of my shots were using P mode, default out of the box, to see what many people would get, changing to my default S mode when I know I need it.

It is going to be a tough decision whether to keep it, the night shots will be a big factor, Fully wide it is same as my Oly zoom, f2.8, but any zoom, the constant f2.8 lens of the Oly is a great advantage, and it has more reach. I am trying hard, but I saw grainy stuff in the lcd last night I have never seen before.

You know I avoid bigger cameras. I woke up wondering if I am going to return the m6 and go for the RX10m4. The primary reason I parted with the RX10m1 was because I couldn't get it inside NYC theaters like the Beacon, Town Hall, ... but the reach and super PDCD AF of the RX10m4 model, combined with terrific IS might be incentive to lug it about. After 7 years, 7 foot surgeries, they are doing better, so I am more likely to consider a planned shoot, birds, ... more reason to have it.

there is a lot on my mind about this little m6 as you can see. I tested the Pany ZS100 against my Oly, the Oly won, Pany: not many situations when it had an advantage and I did not like Pany OOC Jpeg colors.

No color concerns with the new Sony. I shot some blue/purple hydrangeas and this new m6 seems to get them more accurately than my rx100m1 and m3, more like the beloved R1.

simple question, simple answer, right!

-- hide signature --

Elliott

P mode clarification. Camera comes out of the box in P mode, but I immediately change Focus Area Size and Metering Area Size from Multi Area Size to Center,

so I have control of focus on my subject. I think I also turn face recognition off. I will be finally learning the advantages of face recognition, previously I have used spot and my skills keeping spot on the kid, and I have tried and been successful with Center lock-on AF (tracking).

Multi Area size leads to confusion, often primary subject not found by the camera, I highly recommend changing to center area size.

-- hide signature --

Elliott

Oh yeah,

I don't have a CPL on this camera, and this model, like my m1,m3 has a tough time with bright skies, so I often under expose without CPL and lift shadows in post. Probably a great many of my prior photos you have seen have already had shadows lifted.

-- hide signature --

Elliott

Bill Borne
Bill Borne Forum Pro • Posts: 36,240

Harvey Rawn wrote:

Nice shots, Elliott, but they all look a little dark on my monitor. I see that you underexposed several of them, I wonder why.

Deeper Colors, my friendĀ 

-- hide signature --

Bill
"Life's Too Short to Worry about the BS!"
So I Choose my Battles
Click for Wild Man's Photos
Using Rx10 IV at Present

Bill Borne's gear list:Bill Borne's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-R1 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-HX400V Sony Cyber-shot DSC-H5 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-F828 Sony RX100 III +4 more
Bill Borne

Nice shots all Elliott

-- hide signature --

Bill
So I Choose my Battles
Using Rx10 IV at Present

Sony Cyber-shot DSC-R1 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-HX400V Sony Cyber-shot DSC-H5 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-F828 Sony RX100 III +4 more

Thanks Bill,

I look forward to your post HDR's now that you are home. Any shot of mine, I know your process would be better, but, the lazy are easily satisfied.

I tried a bunch of in camera HDR's, level 4, will see when I get home, I posted a few somewhere here.

did you mean you get deeper colors under-exposing and lifting shadows later, or to try and get deeper colors?

-- hide signature --

Elliott

One thing I really like is the ability of the rx100m6 to bet some shallow focus depth, blurred backgrounds, better than m1,2,3,4,5 and my small sensor Oly, that's a big plus for me.

-- hide signature --

Elliott

tcirillo Regular Member • Posts: 183

nice, all! and i like, mostly, the exposure.  but wondered what mode, in general (i see specifically some have EV correction) you were using, and w center focus, whether you were using EV lock (in the nightime shots eg).

could you elaborate on the last post...m6 producing shallow DOF under certain circumstanes (especially compared to earlier gens),

thanks, tom

Bill Borne

elliottnewcomb wrote:

Thanks Bill,

I look forward to your post HDR's now that you are home. Any shot of mine, I know your process would be better, but, the lazy are easily satisfied.

I tried a bunch of in camera HDR's, level 4, will see when I get home, I posted a few somewhere here.

did you mean you get deeper colors under-exposing and lifting shadows later, or to try and get deeper colors?

I just meant that shooting at -ev gives deeper colors

-- hide signature --

Bill
So I Choose my Battles
Using Rx10 IV at Present

phingchian Forum Member • Posts: 96

elliottnewcomb wrote:

I just shot a kids race on the beach, and lots of night shots, I will pick some in the am.

Thanks for sharing, would love to see more night shots!

phingchian wrote:

elliottnewcomb wrote:

Thanks for sharing, would love to see more night shots!

tomorrow ....

Night

I should have had time to post some. I haven't seen them either

-- hide signature --

Elliott

DenImage Senior Member • Posts: 1,648

Thanks for sharing your photos Elliot,

I've recently been testing the DRO setting (Auto and Lvl5), and found that SOOC images are much improved with the 1" sensor RX series cameras. Auto is a modest improvement, but Lvl5 is a big improvement for outdoor shots. I would leave DRO disabled for lowlight shots though, because it can create noticeable unnecessary noise in dark areas.

Den

DenImage's gear list:DenImage's gear list
Sony a7R II Sigma 8mm F3.5 EX DG Circular Fisheye Sony FE 100mm F2.8 GM Sony RX10 IV Sony RX100 VI +2 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads