P900 and lens filter

Started 4 months ago | Discussions
CMCM Senior Member • Posts: 2,491
P900 and lens filter

When I bought my P900, I also bought a nice B+W UV filter as protection...a holdover from my film camera days when one always put a filter on the lens.  Recently, I took the filter off, and I swear the photos are a bit better and sharper without it.

Do any of you P900 owners use filters?  Have you noticed a different with/without them?

CMCM's gear list:CMCM's gear list
Fujifilm X30 Nikon Coolpix P900 Canon G7 X II Nikon D5600 Nikon D7500 +7 more
Nikon Coolpix P900
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
kimg1961 Forum Member • Posts: 73
Re: P900 and lens filter

I do, but only in my case to protect the lens from the actions of Mr clumsy.  I have been asked why a put a uv filter which is effectively a cheap piece of glass on an expensive glass lens.

kimg1961's gear list:kimg1961's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DC-ZS70 Nikon Coolpix P1000 Sony a6000 Sony DT 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 SAM Sony E 55-210mm F4.5-6.3 OSS +4 more
Augustin Man
Augustin Man Veteran Member • Posts: 8,451

I used a Hama UV filter and can't say I've remarked a significant image degradation. Trouble was that with the lens hood it gave vignetting, thus I abandoned it, keeping the lens hood (a screw on, not a snap on one).

AFAIK P1000 will have a genuine lens hood.

All the best,

Augustin

Augustin Man's gear list:Augustin Man's gear list
Canon PowerShot SX50 HS Nikon Coolpix P600 Nikon Coolpix P900 Nikon Coolpix P1000
jshen808
jshen808 Senior Member • Posts: 7,522

CMCM wrote:

When I bought my P900, I also bought a nice B+W UV filter as protection...a holdover from my film camera days when one always put a filter on the lens. Recently, I took the filter off, and I swear the photos are a bit better and sharper without it.

Do any of you P900 owners use filters? Have you noticed a different with/without them?

..it's good you have tested with both the lens filter on & off, and compared the results..

..for me, I was using the Hoya HD3 UV lens filter..

..have it off now, but maybe put it back again..

..mainly interested to protect the front lens of the P900 camera..

..still debating on this..

..Cheers..

-- hide signature --

Regards, John..
..down with naysayers!
[YI M1 camera, Olympus 17mm f/1.8 lens, firmware 3.0]

jshen808's gear list:jshen808's gear list
Nikon Coolpix P900 Nikon Coolpix B700 Nikon Coolpix P1000
sherman_levine
sherman_levine Forum Pro • Posts: 11,397

I keep this on the camera, and don't use a protective lens.  It's enough to keep my greasy fingers off the glass.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00C8Y51A0

I remove it on the rare occasion when I need full W/A.

-- hide signature --
 sherman_levine's gear list:sherman_levine's gear list
Panasonic FZ1000 Nikon Coolpix P900 Nikon Coolpix P1000
PaPeRo
PaPeRo Regular Member • Posts: 377

I just got a 77mm Nikon NC filter for my preordered P1000. I use Nikon's NC filters on all of my lenses. Nikon knows their own optics so I'm pretty sure it's safe to use Nikon branded filters on Nikon's lenses without any degradation.

PaPeRo's gear list:PaPeRo's gear list
Nikon Coolpix P1000 Nikon 1 J5 Fujifilm FinePix S2000HD Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.8G +7 more
Stan in NH Contributing Member • Posts: 927

Most less expensive filters will introduce at least some amount of optical distortion, usually becoming more noticeable at longer focal lengths.

I have not tried any filters on my P900, but had a set for a Sigma 100-400mm lens that I use often. The artifacts at anything over 200mm were so bad I just threw the whole bunch away.

If you feel the need to use a filter, make sure you buy one from a reputable manufacturer with return privileges.

Stan in NH's gear list:Stan in NH's gear list
Nikon Coolpix P900 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-HX90V Canon EOS 80D
OP CMCM Senior Member • Posts: 2,491

jshen808 wrote:

CMCM wrote:

When I bought my P900, I also bought a nice B+W UV filter as protection...a holdover from my film camera days when one always put a filter on the lens. Recently, I took the filter off, and I swear the photos are a bit better and sharper without it.

Do any of you P900 owners use filters? Have you noticed a different with/without them?

..it's good you have tested with both the lens filter on & off, and compared the results..

..Cheers..

I keep debating it.  I have tried two consecutive photos to test...one with it, one without, and at those times I did not see any difference.  Yet now I think I'm getting better/sharper photos on the P900, although I have to consider that when I had my flip screen replaced, Nikon also put in a new lens assembly, so what I'm shooting with now is different.  Maybe it's sharper than the other lens assembly...???

jshen808
jshen808 Senior Member • Posts: 7,522

CMCM wrote:

jshen808 wrote:

CMCM wrote:

..Cheers..

I keep debating it. I have tried two consecutive photos to test...one with it, one without, and at those times I did not see any difference. Yet now I think I'm getting better/sharper photos on the P900, although I have to consider that when I had my flip screen replaced, Nikon also put in a new lens assembly, so what I'm shooting with now is different. Maybe it's sharper than the other lens assembly...???

..it could well be..

..and being improved is a bonus..

..actually, I'm thinking of placing my lens filter back on, it just makes me 'feel' better..

..Cheers..

-- hide signature --

Regards, John..
..down with naysayers!
[YI M1 camera, Olympus 17mm f/1.8 lens, firmware 3.0]

jshen808's gear list:jshen808's gear list
Nikon Coolpix P900 Nikon Coolpix B700 Nikon Coolpix P1000
Microshooter
Microshooter Senior Member • Posts: 2,070

sherman_levine wrote:

I keep this on the camera, and don't use a protective lens. It's enough to keep my greasy fingers off the glass.

I agree with you Sherm. I use a tulip hood that works just fine at the widest. Used to always use a filter and hood but with the P900 ... just the hood.

-- hide signature --

Dan
My Flickr Photostream:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/56582921@N05/
--
Nikon D800, V1, V2, P900 & Lumix LX7, ZS40
"I never read, I just look at pictures"- Andy Warhol

Microshooter's gear list:Microshooter's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX7 Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS40 (TZ60) Nikon Coolpix P1000 Nikon 1 V1 Nikon D800 +16 more
OP CMCM Senior Member • Posts: 2,491

sherman_levine wrote:

I keep this on the camera, and don't use a protective lens. It's enough to keep my greasy fingers off the glass.

I got this lens hood, which is rubber and snaps easily into 3 positions, one of which is for the wide angle end. Great lens hood, I used them in the 1980s with my SLRs.

https://www.amazon.com/Collapsible-Premium-MagicFiber-Microfiber-Cleaning/dp/B007RN5WDI/ref=sr_1_3?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1532124667&sr=1-3&keywords=rubber+lens+hood+67mm&dpID=41rzoNrtY-L&preST=_SY300_QL70_&dpSrc=srch

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads