Still loving micro four thirds' size

Started 2 months ago | Discussions
larsbc Forum Pro • Posts: 15,020
Still loving micro four thirds' size

I just added the Panasonic 8-18 to my kit and am very happy that it will fit with my existing travel zooms into a compact waist pack.

• G85
  • 12-35/2.8
  • 35-100/2.8
  • 8-18/2.8-4

I love being able to carry my best zooms all day while traveling w/o ever having to decide if I should leave them in the hotel or not.  In the evening, I usually change the combo by swapping out the tele zoom for the 15/1.7.
I have no regrets moving to micro four thirds.  It's the best choice for my needs and preferences.

Panasonic G85
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
majicmoments Regular Member • Posts: 101
Re: Still loving micro four thirds' size

Nice little combo’.... when im heading up town its allways my micro4/3 gear i pop in the bag.    My favourite is GX7 plus 45 f1.8 - 20 f1.7 & 14 f2.5..... such a tiny setup that covers all my needs in the city.   Happy shooting Larsbc.

majicmoments's gear list:majicmoments's gear list
Nikon Df Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ300 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Olympus E-M1 Fujifilm X-T10 +1 more
alcelc
alcelc Veteran Member • Posts: 8,979
Yes

Like you I am a zoom guy and love the flexibility of a zoom lens can offer4. Because of the size and weight advantage of M43 (so I picked GX7, GX85 but not the G7 and G85, G9 or GH5 be 100% out of my acceptable level...), I can carry 3 lenses to cover majority of my general travelling needs. But they are smaller than yours: 7-14 f/4, 12-35 f/2.8 and 45-150, that my age body is still able to carry them around walking for hours everyday without slowing me down...

If I go for any other APSC or FF system, mirrorless or not, likely I shall leave at least one, or even 2 of the lenses back at home. Just a 24~70/75 f/2.8 might be?

-- hide signature --

Albert

windmillgolfer
windmillgolfer Forum Pro • Posts: 15,131

Quality glass Lars. When travelling, a room Safe is a very welcome feature. I can carry everything ( iPads, GM5/GF7 7-14/14-140 or 12-60, maybe Samyangs 7.5 FE / 12mm or Panasonic 25mm/42.5mm f1.7s) in a general purpose back pack but it is very convenient to leave some of them in the Safe. Well it wasn’t convenient when a Safe failed and had to be cut open with an angle grinder

windmillgolfer's gear list:windmillgolfer's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX7 Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS40 (TZ60) Panasonic FZ2500 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM5 +2 more
Lu1Wang
Lu1Wang Senior Member • Posts: 1,333

Brought the E-M1ii + 75-300 into a MLB game two weeks ago, the security just assumed it's a normal zoom

On the other hand my friend barely got in with his a7iii and 85mm Batis

Lu1Wang's gear list:Lu1Wang's gear list
Sony Alpha a7 II Olympus E-M5 II Olympus E-M1 II Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm F1.8 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 17mm 1:1.8 +9 more
Bangers and Mash
Bangers and Mash Senior Member • Posts: 2,760

How do you like your 8-18 so far? I had my eye on that lens, but it was just a little out of reach, budget wise. I opted for the Oly 9-18, as it had $100 instant rebate making it $599. It should be fine for real estate photography. Since all my shots will be on a tripod, the speed of the lens isn't quite that critical.

Wayne

-- hide signature --

Critique, NOT criticize.

Bangers and Mash's gear list:Bangers and Mash's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus TG-5 Olympus PEN-F Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm F4.0-5.6 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 14-42mm 1:3.5-5.6 II R +4 more
OP larsbc Forum Pro • Posts: 15,020
room safes

windmillgolfer wrote:

Quality glass Lars. When travelling, a room Safe is a very welcome feature. I can carry everything ( iPads, GM5/GF7 7-14/14-140 or 12-60, maybe Samyangs 7.5 FE / 12mm or Panasonic 25mm/42.5mm f1.7s) in a general purpose back pack but it is very convenient to leave some of them in the Safe.

Yes!  An under-appreciated benefit of micro four thirds is that I can fit all my gear into pretty much any hotel room safe.  I'll be getting the 100-400 next and I think even that, along with the rest of my travel kit, will fit into a safe.

Bangers and Mash wrote:

How do you like your 8-18 so far?

I've had it less than 24 hrs so I'm still in the very much biased honeymoon phase.

I had my eye on that lens, but it was just a little out of reach, budget wise. I opted for the Oly 9-18, as it had $100 instant rebate making it $599. It should be fine for real estate photography. Since all my shots will be on a tripod, the speed of the lens isn't quite that critical.

The 8-18 certainly wasn't an easy buy for me...saved up for a while. Actually, I saved up for a drone but decided that the places I could use it were too limited, and the chances of it getting damaged or lost too high. And I was never fully satisfied with my 9-18 because of its smeared edges, so I re-purposed the money towards filling out my lens kit.

I wish it was close in size and weight to my 9-18 but at least it fits into my existing bag. I'll hold on to my 9-18 until I am fully convinced that the additional weight isn't going to annoy me.

Good luck with your 9-18. I suspect mine was a bad copy but I still made some memorable photos with it and I really liked its collapsed size.

8-18 doesn't take too well to shooting directly into the sun but in this case, I like the flare.

FunGuy66 Junior Member • Posts: 49

I agree. I use a very small NatGeo bag (pretty sure it's the A2210) and it can hold the G85, 8-18, 45-200, at least one small prime, and the battery charger (in the front pocket). It's cramped to be sure, but it still fits and closes.

The gear has been getting bigger, and the 8-18 is part of that trend, but it's still a reasonably compact system.

Bangers and Mash
Bangers and Mash Senior Member • Posts: 2,760

larsbc wrote:

Bangers and Mash wrote:

How do you like your 8-18 so far?

I've had it less than 24 hrs so I'm still in the very much biased honeymoon phase.

I had my eye on that lens, but it was just a little out of reach, budget wise. I opted for the Oly 9-18, as it had $100 instant rebate making it $599. It should be fine for real estate photography. Since all my shots will be on a tripod, the speed of the lens isn't quite that critical.

The 8-18 certainly wasn't an easy buy for me...saved up for a while. Actually, I saved up for a drone but decided that the places I could use it were too limited, and the chances of it getting damaged or lost too high. And I was never fully satisfied with my 9-18 because of its smeared edges, so I re-purposed the money towards filling out my lens kit.

I'm hoping it will do well. I just received it, so I will be testing it out.

I wish it was close in size and weight to my 9-18 but at least it fits into my existing bag. I'll hold on to my 9-18 until I am fully convinced that the additional weight isn't going to annoy me.

Good luck with your 9-18. I suspect mine was a bad copy but I still made some memorable photos with it and I really liked its collapsed size.

I would hate to see that you got a bad copy. The reviews on the lens were favorable. Well, I will see if they are right or not soon enough.

8-18 doesn't take too well to shooting directly into the sun but in this case, I like the flare.

Sometimes flare can add to a photo, and I agree that it did on your pic. Looks like something out of a science fiction flic is coming down on the dog's head, and he's looking up at it. Nice!!

Wayne

-- hide signature --

Critique, NOT criticize.

Bangers and Mash's gear list:Bangers and Mash's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus TG-5 Olympus PEN-F Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm F4.0-5.6 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 14-42mm 1:3.5-5.6 II R +4 more

FunGuy66 wrote:

I agree. I use a very small NatGeo bag (pretty sure it's the A2210) and it can hold the G85, 8-18, 45-200, at least one small prime, and the battery charger (in the front pocket). It's cramped to be sure, but it still fits and closes.

The gear has been getting bigger, and the 8-18 is part of that trend, but it's still a reasonably compact system.

True.  I wish the 8-18 were smaller or that there was a high performing, compact, AF, superwide prime.

terp02andrew Junior Member • Posts: 38

What bag are you using?

I recently got the 5L Peak Design and was not impressed with it (too bulky, odd shape, capture clip location isn't ideal).

terp02andrew's gear list:terp02andrew's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M10 II Panasonic GX850 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 75mm F1.8 Panasonic 12-35mm F2.8 +3 more

terp02andrew wrote:

What bag are you using?

I recently got the 5L Peak Design and was not impressed with it (too bulky, odd shape, capture clip location isn't ideal).

Funny...I was just looking at one of those in a store the other day. I'm using a Pacsafe Camsafe V5 (https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1069131-REG/pac_safe_15140100_camsafe_v5_camera_bag_black.html).

I like it because I can use it with a regular day pack and also stuff it into a day pack when on a plane. That pack goes under the seat while my small roller suitcase goes into the overhead bin (unless, as is so often these days, the bins are full and it gets gate checked, instead).

In terms of working as a sling bag, the belt is kind of short.  It works as such, for me (42" shoulders I think) but combined with a bulky jacket, it's not ideal.  PacSafe does sell a belt extender for it.  One thing I like about it is that the belt clip is covered and requires two hands to open and it's located right beside the bag.  This makes it difficult for someone to quickly unclip it from me when I've got the bag swung around to the side or front.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads