Another making the Panny 200/2.8 seem ... not crazy

Started 4 months ago | Discussions
amtberg Veteran Member • Posts: 6,116
Another making the Panny 200/2.8 seem ... not crazy

The new Fujinon GF 250mm f/4 R LM OIS WR (roughly 200mm equivalent) costs $3,200 and doesn't come with the 1.4X TC, which is sold separately for $850(!).

Looks like a superb lens for their medium format GFX line, but as we're told that lens prices for this approximate FL should be comparable regardless of format ... it makes the PL 200/2.8 seem almost reasonable.

I'm sure that, like mFT, lenses for this mount are pricey due to low sales volume relative to FF and APS-C sales.

ntsan Contributing Member • Posts: 889
Re: Another making the Panny 200/2.8 seem ... not crazy

I think the problem with Panasonic 200mm 2.8 that it was released too soon lol, if it released after the Sony 400mm 2.8 people will find it bargain price!

That is no bloody way I can get a $12K lens in every possible way.

ntsan's gear list:ntsan's gear list
Nikon Coolpix 5400 Sony a6500 Canon EOS M50 Sony a7 III Sony FE 55mm F1.8 +6 more
MOD Tom Caldwell Forum Pro • Posts: 35,409
The theory of selling the exotic

amtberg wrote:

The new Fujinon GF 250mm f/4 R LM OIS WR (roughly 200mm equivalent) costs $3,200 and doesn't come with the 1.4X TC, which is sold separately for $850(!).

Looks like a superb lens for their medium format GFX line, but as we're told that lens prices for this approximate FL should be comparable regardless of format ... it makes the PL 200/2.8 seem almost reasonable.

I'm sure that, like mFT, lenses for this mount are pricey due to low sales volume relative to FF and APS-C sales.

It is a bit of a price spiral - once lenses go into low volume sales because they are expensive to make using high quality glass, complex assembly - presumably entirely hand built - they are bound to sell slowly.  Low sales mean that development costs are amortised over a smaller volume of sales this means higher prices to break even - higher prices mean that the dollar value margin is higher per unit for retailers based on usual margin percentages.  High price means greater risk of these lenses sitting unsold on a shelf and the retailers will demand a good margin to stock them anyway.  Every lens should be sold at a profit, no discounts.

This becomes the spiral - the slower they are likely to sell the higher the price per unit and the higher the price per unit the slower they will sell.

So pick a price that will make money in small batch sales and put them in your catalogue - a high entry RRP can possibly be reduced but a lower one rarely can be increased if the lens sells slowly.

This is the story of the exotic lens.  If you want one you have to be prepared to pay as no company is going to make them unless they can be made and sold at a good profit.

Perversely a rush to buy at a premium price is not necessarily going to bring the price down.  At least initially. Hanging back waiting for the price to fall just leaves these low volume batch production lenses sitting in a central warehouse - with only a few to sell the company can wait out the market reluctance as this sort of premium type lens will never go bad in a warehouse.

If you have 2,000 cheaper lenses unsold then you have to do something to move the stock - but if you have 20 of a batch of 50 high margin exotic lenses unsold you can easily wait out how long they take to sell before the next batch of 50 is commissioned.

If sales reach crazy levels then maybe larger batches will be made .... and then the price might just be reduced.

-- hide signature --

Tom Caldwell

Kubicide Regular Member • Posts: 454
Re: The theory of selling the exotic

Very true especially with optics where there's still a relatively high level of hand-craftsmanship still involved. Small batches cost a lot especially with coatings.

eques Veteran Member • Posts: 3,200
Don't forget the Fujinon 200/2 .

Crazy... Peter

eques's gear list:eques's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 R Samyang 7.5mm F3.5 UMC Fisheye MFT Olympus 12-40mm F2.8 +2 more
Astrotripper Veteran Member • Posts: 6,166
Panasonic might not have heard of it :-)

Well, what you wrote is reasonable. And I think Olympus 300 pretty much follows this path.

Panasonic 200? Not so much. The price of that one dropped like a rock soon after launch. It has been retailing for about €2600 for some time now (€400 off) and combined with Panasonic’s cashback, you could have bought it for about €2300. That’s almost 25% below launch price. And we’re still in its first year on the market.

Astrotripper's gear list:Astrotripper's gear list
Sigma DP2 Merrill Olympus PEN E-PL1 Olympus OM-D E-M10 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM5 Olympus E-M1 II +17 more
Astrotripper Veteran Member • Posts: 6,166
Re: Don't forget the Fujinon 200/2 .

one stop more, double the price, sounds about right 😀

Astrotripper's gear list:Astrotripper's gear list
Sigma DP2 Merrill Olympus PEN E-PL1 Olympus OM-D E-M10 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM5 Olympus E-M1 II +17 more
jwilliams Veteran Member • Posts: 3,393
Or ...

it could be the other way around!

If I tried to sell you a 1,000 sq ft house for $3,000 (lets say I throw in a hot tub also), or I told you I could sell you a 5,000 sq ft house for $3,200, which would you think is the better deal?

The GF lens covers a much, much large image area.  Really, it is a deal compared to the PL.

-- hide signature --

Jonathan

paul cool
paul cool Senior Member • Posts: 2,144
Re: Or ...

jwilliams wrote:

it could be the other way around!

If I tried to sell you a 1,000 sq ft house for $3,000 (lets say I throw in a hot tub also), or I told you I could sell you a 5,000 sq ft house for $3,200, which would you think is the better deal?

The GF lens covers a much, much large image area. Really, it is a deal compared to the PL.

Yes But with a bigger morgage and upkeep but holds its value better

paul cool's gear list:paul cool's gear list
Olympus E-M1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX8 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 75mm F1.8 Panasonic 12-35mm F2.8 Olympus 40-150mm F2.8 Pro +1 more
StevoPhilo Regular Member • Posts: 183
Re: Or ...

I would love to own this lens just cause it has a gorgeous rendering. I definitely don't think the price is fair for what they're asking, but perhaps I'm not the target customer.

If it was $2,000 USD I would've saved for it.  And I understand that cost and manufacturing all play a part. Unfortunately, it doesn't make me anymore inclined to buy it. I'll wait for a good second hand or price drop in it.

-- hide signature --

www.instagram.com/steven_portraits

StevoPhilo's gear list:StevoPhilo's gear list
Sony a99 II Sony a9 Panasonic Lumix DC-G9 Sony 135mm F1.8 ZA Carl Zeiss Sonnar T* Sony 70-400mm F4-5.6 G SSM II +11 more
MOD Tom Caldwell Forum Pro • Posts: 35,409
Re: Panasonic might not have heard of it :-)

Astrotripper wrote:

Well, what you wrote is reasonable. And I think Olympus 300 pretty much follows this path.

Panasonic 200? Not so much. The price of that one dropped like a rock soon after launch. It has been retailing for about €2600 for some time now (€400 off) and combined with Panasonic’s cashback, you could have bought it for about €2300. That’s almost 25% below launch price. And we’re still in its first year on the market.

Well we don’t know how big a first batch they made and what target sales they have set themselves.  As noted you can always bring a price down if you have decided to make a substantial quantity.  No need to do this is it is just a small batch.

So can we now guess that Panasonic intends to sell quite a few of these lenses?

-- hide signature --

Tom Caldwell

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads