rx100m6 Setup Suggestions

Started Jul 17, 2018 | Discussions
elliottnewcomb Forum Pro • Posts: 17,737
rx100m6 Setup Suggestions

I'm exhausted

rx100m6 setup suggestions

1. Charge your batteries, I'm not kidding, get an ebay kit, wall charger with 2 batteries
2. Initialize, Setup Tab, pg 7, full factory reset, to undo any changes you might have guessed at
3. Write your changes down, you may reset in the future, easy to get it back as 'yours'
4. top wheel in P mode (out of box default)

My Changes in the order they occur in the menu

CAMERA 1 TAB

page 1
a. Jpeg Quality, extra fine (26% less compression than fine)
b. Panorama Direction UP. (you must turn top wheel to Pano mode to activate Pano settings)
I don't use full wide panos often, so I use it for wider shots than 24mm like this:
UP, then, I turn camera vertically and sweep sideways, not full pano, but wider than 24mm
For full pano, change back to sideways, stnd or wide
page 3
a. Drive Mode, continuous, low speed (3 fps)(default is 24 fps, incredible, I will try 24fps later).
I use low speed to avoid shutter press shake, only hold shutter button a short time, say 3 shots, 1st may have blur, 2nd, third maybe not. especially slow shutter speeds hand held. you can take single shots in continuous, just press and release quickly
rocker down from single to continuous, right rocker, high, mid, LOW
b. Bracket Settings, self timer during bracketing, 2sec, again to avoid shutter press shake.
page 4
a. Focus MODE, AF-S. AF-A is new, single and continuous, camera in charge, I will try it later
b. Focus AREA, Center, you in control, to start, will use spot later
c. Set face priority in AF. OFF for now, don't want camera deciding that until familiar with cam
page 5
a. Phase Detect Area, ON. PDCD is a big part of it's super AF system, u see box where it works
page 6
a. Metering Mode (AREA SIZE), Center, use spot later
b. Spot Metering Point Center, Focus Point Link. Move focus spot, metering spot moves with it
page 7
a. AEL with Shutter, ON. only focus set at half press, exposure taken when shutter fires. I set focus distance at half press, and reframe often, After reframing, lighting is different, exposure not set earlier at a different location. Also, waiting for something, a cloud could move, a big truck could block prior light, a branch moves in a breeze, ..
page 8
a. Red Eye Reduction, ON. To get true eye colors. Pre-flash causes red eye, it instantly dissapates, second, real flash captures real eye colors. Simply tell subjects to hold position/smile a bit longer. Post software RER guesses.

Flash Notes: Leave Flash on Fill Flash. Normally not popped up, doesn't fire. Want flash, simply move the flash release, no need to find and turn it on. I put flash comp in Fn menu, and reduce/raise flash strength shot to shot. Full strength is why people don't like or use flash, proper level gives success when needed. This m6, with darker lens, f2.8 close, perhaps zoomed a bit, will need flash more often than m1,2,3,4,5. Always let flash fully charge, even using it cut back, so it is consistent shot to shot, and your adjustments will be based on prior accurate level. Flash will fire before full charge, but strength will be random, any adjustment from that will also be random.
page 9
a. DRO/Auto HDR, DRO OFF. My m3 trials, DRO works but I don't like what it does, changes textures, shadows, and effective color. You might like it. I like HDR, I shoot handheld, so I don't want auto, I turn it on when enough light to handhold decent shutter speed. You get original based on you settings, and a second HDR shot. I put DRO/HDR in Fn menu
b. Initial Focus Magnification, 5.3X

Magnification Note: When magnified, initially it is 5.3X. Press center button, it toggles to 10.7X, press again, toggles back to 5.3X You can move a box to change what area gets magnified.

page 11
a. Peaking Setting
1. Peaking Display ON
2. Peaking Level, Low
3. Peaking Color, Yellow

Peaking Notes: Peaking is used in Manual Focus, or DMF (direct Manual Focus) while magnified. Turn front ring,magnification occurs, peaking shows on edges of items in focus, in the color chosen, primarily vertical edges. Turn front ring to refine focus on your subject. You can stay magnified, wait for the birds perch, shoot, or, half press shutter, jumps back to framing view. Ignore peaking, simply confirm your framing, shoot when ready. Peaking Low shows less peaking at magnified and normal framing view. If you want, once focus distance is locked, you can hold the camera still front to back, move your head/eye alongside the camera, look at the subject directly, over or around the camera, fire when ready.

page 12
Self Portrait Timer, leave on, it is automatically engaged as you flip the LCD up almost 180 degrees. You will see the self timer icon, you press shutter button, you have 3 secs to pose.

CAMERA 2 Tab

pages 1-4 are about Movies, I know nothing about movies
page 5
a. Release without Card. Disable. Default Enable: if you don't notice 'no card' warning, (I have) you think you are taking photos, shutter fires, adjustments shown in lcd, seems to write to card.
page 6
a. Zoom Speed, FAST. Normal for movies, stopping at precise focal lengths, (can use steps)
page 7
a. DISP Button (rear up rocker). Up rocker toggles thru only the boxes you check.
you can check different boxes for LCD (monitor) and EVF (finder)
1. Monitor: uncheck for viewfinder; check monitor off (right rocker, enter to get those changes).
2. Finder: uncheck histogram (unless you use it); (right rocker, enter).
page 8
a. Auto Review, 2 sec, you can zoom in to confirm focus as soon as the Auto Review shows.
page 9 Custom Operation 1
a. C Button, Smart Telecon pg 14 of 20 (in-camera crop, no upscale) This is an instant toggle, Optical 200mm max; Smart Zoom 1.4x 280mm max; Smart Zoom 2.0x 400mm max, back to optical 200mm max. Icon shows on LCD. Smart Zoom used this way: no need to change Image Size to 10mp or 5 mp. Note: Default ISO is in my Fn menu.
C button also moves the spot focus box back to center when the box is in active (white).
b. Left Button (rocker), AEL Toggle pg 4 of 9 (default drive mode is in my Fn menu)

AEL Note: AEL is only available by custom assignment. When in use, an asterisk appears in the info line at the bottom of the lcd, at the right end. AEL rocker is adjacent to that asteris, intuitive for me.
c. Right Button (rocker), AF/MF Ctrl Toggle line 3 of 19. rx100's do not have focus levers or dials, so this is instant change from AF to MF, toggle back to AF. You can keep your eye on the subject, using LCD or EVF, keep finger on the shutter button, instantly change to MF, refine focus, shoot. Press right rocker again, back to AF
d, Fn Menu Set. your 12 items, in your adjacencies. Settings you might change shot to shot. Items here do not need to be found in the crazy huge menu. One Fn button press, 12 icons, rocker to one, change it. Chech when u turn the camera on, to verify how you left those settings.
My Fn button menu (all instant access to changes)
1. Drive Mode (frees up left rocker for AEL
2. Face Detect (in AF) (option if I want it, normally not)
3. Flash Comp (change flash strength shot to shot)
4. Focus Mode (method), AF-S my default, change to any choice instantly
5. Focus Area (size). change center to spot, zone, ... quick and easy.
6. Meter Area (size). often changed with Focus area size.
note adjacency od 4,5,6
7. Image Size (jpeg 20, 10, 5mp)(smart zoom automatically available at 10mp and 5mp)
more Clear Image Zoom is available at 10mp and even more at 5MP.
8. Aspect Ratio
9. DRO/HDR (dynamic range optimizer and or High Dynamic Range (stills)
10. ISO
11. WB White Balance. AWB is excellent outdoors, Indoors generally good, unless mixed light sources i.e. Daylight and Incandescent; Incandescent and energy saving Compact Fluorescent
many optional presets are available to try, and, you can select a specific color temperature (Kelvin), or, use a white card in the space to automatically acquire a WB. I used to be hesitant to change WB, but now, shooting clothes for Donna to sell on eBay, I learned, once learned, easier than you think.
12. Picture Effect. I like High Contrast Black and White and Watercolor. Stupidly, B&W is in Creative Style, not here with High Contrast B&W and Rich B&W. Let me at em'.
page 10
a. Movie Button, Movie Button ONLY. Prevents accidental movie start (I don't do movies)
b. Audio Signals, OFF. Silent in public spaces, does not effect playback volume.

NETWORK TAB

a. I only send single pics to a phone (using Fn Button's alternate when in play mode).
b, Airplane Mode, ON. That turns WiFi OFF, saves battery. On to send pics to phone, etc.

TOOLBOX/SETUP TAB

page 1
a. Monitor Brightness, Sunny Weather (see it in glare situations, dark situations)
Glare note: what you see is what is reflected, which is you and your clothes, so, a hat making shadow on your face, a dark blouse/shirt, no pattern, will help.
page 2
a. Delete Confirm, Delete First (don't ask me twice)
b. Display Quality, High. (uses more battery, just have spares).
c. Auto Monitor Off, 10 sec. Try to save battery, may put back to default Not Off
d. Power Save Start Time, 5 minutes. Don't want it turning while learning the menu, and, when strolling, looking for photo opportunities, don't want it turning off too often. May use less battery than turning on/off, extending/closing lens, ...
page 3
Touch Operation, OFF. After a while, I will turn it on, but too soon, too much to learn now.

My Menu, I will post separately

I picked 30 items, and entered them Alphabetically. No need to go into god awful crazy menu for the things I might change, now and again, (not shot to shot, they are in Fn button menu).

-- hide signature --

Elliott

elliottnewcomb's gear list:elliottnewcomb's gear list
Sony RX1R Olympus Stylus 1s Sony RX100 VI Sony RX100 III Sony Xperia XZ +1 more
Canon EOS M3 Canon EOS M6
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Karl Scharf
Karl Scharf Veteran Member • Posts: 4,363
Re: rx100m6 Setup Suggestions

Isn't this fun!!!

I am going through the same process right now, overwhelming at first, have to put it down frequently as to not loose my sanity!

I have made copies of the List of MENU items page 24, 25, 26 and 27 of the instruction manual supplied with the camera. These 4 small pages fit nicely onto an 8 1/2 x 11 paper stock.

Now I pencil in the location I picked to store each specific item such as: Fn Top 1, Fn Bot 3, My Menu Page 1.., etc.

This gives me a written record and hopefully keeps me somewhat sane!

-- hide signature --

...."Sony, your crap is so good"....love this quote!

Karl Scharf's gear list:Karl Scharf's gear list
Sony a7 III Tamron 17-28mm F2.8 Di III RXD Samyang 12mm F2.8 Fisheye Sigma 100-400mm F5-6.3 DG DN OS Tamron 28-200mm F2.8-5.6 +6 more
Clix Pix
Clix Pix Regular Member • Posts: 477

Thank you, Elliott!!! Much appreciated and you have certainly spent a lot of time and done a lot of work on this.....!!!

-- hide signature --

Through the years with Nikon Coolpixes, followed by D70, D200, D2Xs, D300 and D3
Lotsa good glass, with emphasis on macro lenses
PBase supporter, Zenfolio supporter

Clix Pix's gear list:Clix Pix's gear list
Sony RX10 IV Sony RX100 VII Sony a7R IV Sony a1 Sony FE 50mm F2.8 Macro +13 more
OP elliottnewcomb Forum Pro • Posts: 17,737

I always want everybody to get the best from these midget marvels.

-- hide signature --

Elliott

My 'My Menu' choices

1st make your Fn Menu choices, they are the ones you want near instant access to

My Fn button menu (one button press, 12 icons, rocker to icon, change it)
1. Drive Mode (frees up left rocker for AEL
2. Face Detect (in AF) (option if I want it, normally not)
3. Flash Comp (change flash strength shot to shot)
4. Focus Mode (method), AF-S my default, change to any choice instantly
5. Focus Area (size). change center to spot, zone, ... quick and easy.
6. Meter Area (size). often changed with Focus area size.
note adjacency of 4,5,6
7. Image Size (jpeg 20, 10, 5mp)(smart zoom automatically available at 10mp and 5mp)
more Clear Image Zoom is available at 10mp and even more at 5MP.
8. Aspect Ratio
9. DRO/HDR (dynamic range optimizer and or High Dynamic Range (stills)
10. ISO
11. WB White Balance. AWB is excellent outdoors, Indoors generally good, unless mixed light sources i.e. Daylight and Incandescent; Incandescent and energy saving Compact Fluorescent
many optional presets are available to try, and, you can select a specific color temperature (Kelvin), or, use a white card in the space to automatically acquire a WB. I used to be hesitant to change WB, but now, shooting clothes for Donna to sell on eBay, I learned, once learned, easier than you think.
12. Picture Effect. I like High Contrast Black and White and Watercolor. Stupidly, B&W is in Creative Style, not here with High Contrast B&W and Rich B&W. Let me at em'.

MY MENU

I made a list, sorted them A to Z. Items NOT in Fn Menu, but I want to find easily, perhaps repeatedly, only 5 pages of 6 items, in alphabetical order

AEL with Shutter
AF Illuminator
Airplane Mode
Auto Monitor Off
Auto Review
Bracket Settings

Center Lock On AF (tracking focus)
Custom Key
Creative Style
Disp Button
Face Priority in MULTI (Focus Area Size)
.........note: Face Recognition in AF (any focus area size) is in Fn button menu
Fn Menu set

Format
Initial Focus Magnification
Monitor Brightness
Panorama Direction
Peaking Settings
Phase Detect Area

Power Save Start Time
Red Eye Reduction
Set Face Priority in AF
Smile Shutter
Soft Skin Effect
Spot Metering Point Center

SteadyShot
Touch Operation
Touch Panel/Pad
Zebra
Zoom Speed
...........blank.......... (add a trial/temp item here, out of alphabetical order

Elliott

Karl Scharf
Karl Scharf Veteran Member • Posts: 4,363

Great way to sort "My Menu", thanks for sharing!

-- hide signature --

...."Sony, your crap is so good"....love this quote!

Karl Scharf's gear list:Karl Scharf's gear list
Sony a7 III Tamron 17-28mm F2.8 Di III RXD Samyang 12mm F2.8 Fisheye Sigma 100-400mm F5-6.3 DG DN OS Tamron 28-200mm F2.8-5.6 +6 more

It's down to photos now.

-- hide signature --

Elliott

minuteman26 Regular Member • Posts: 343

So you're going to keep the camera?

Drmarcus
Drmarcus Forum Member • Posts: 57

Thank you Elliot for all your marvelous and hard work, I have not purchased the RX100VI yet. However, I will apply your ideas towards my RX10IV. Keep up the good work.

Drmarcus's gear list:Drmarcus's gear list
Sony RX10 IV Sony RX100 VII Sony a6000 Sony FE 70-200 F4 Sony Vario-Tessar T* E 16-70mm F4 ZA OSS +4 more
Tim G
Tim G Regular Member • Posts: 483

Excellent work thank you Elliott

Tim G's gear list:Tim G's gear list
Canon PowerShot SD700 IS Sony RX100 VII Nikon Z6 II Nikon Z 24-70mm F4

minuteman26 wrote:

So you're going to keep the camera?

It's now down to photo results. Comparing with my small sensor brighter lens, more zoom Oly.

m6 does have a small size advantage, I will get some more golf shorts with bigger pants pockets, tighten my belt for the extra weight (over m1) and stroll without a case, that will be very nice.

However, it is a bar of soap with few buttons or dials, so you need to get into the menu more often, That is why the new 'My Menu' is so important, used my alphabetical list this am, so easy, Oly has one button press SCP super control panel, like Fn botton, except you get a full screen of 21 settings to both see/confirm and change them. It's a full touch screen and you can rocker over like you do with Sony. Sony should realize, when using the Fn menu, there is no need to see the image, so increase the number of icons in Fn menu. Fn button could be a toggle, like the display button, so you could have 3 screens of icons, no need for a separate My Menu. Using my menu this am, first I had to rocker up to the top tab bar, then over to My Menu tab, then rocker down to first line of first page, then rocker sideways, watching the alphabet, looking for Monitor Off setting to change it, Huh? Back thru more slowly, found Auto Monitor off. Need to remember Sony's names of things, I will get that soon enough.

Took some night shots last night.

Using railings for stability, ...

Don't have my m3 with me, somehow I am not liking this evf, like m3 evf very much, I will need to figure that out.

I got up early, shot sunrise, tried various techniques, shot some flowers on the way back. Shot some outdoor real zoom photos to give others a visual sense of it's range, took some Smart Zoom, CIZ, 20,10,5 mp shots, .... and finally some aspirin, my knees, hips, back are beat.

All continuous, to help with shutter shake,

-- hide signature --

Elliott

Drmarcus wrote:

Thank you Elliot for all your marvelous and hard work, I have not purchased the RX100VI yet. However, I will apply your ideas towards my RX10IV. Keep up the good work.

You need extra batteries just to go all the way thru the menu initially, so order them when you order the camera, don't wait. That was true with m3, more so with m6. It won't be easy until you get your Fn button and My Menu set up.

I/you will change your initial menu items after learning what you want frequent access to. Just take a guess, get started.

I used Scene modes for the first time last night and this am, never used them with brighter m1,3 models. m6, zoomed, darker lens, shooting a big flag in a breeze, faster shutter speed, the scenes with multi shot and/or in-camera processing might help get success with this baby.

I just noticed you said RX10m4. Happily that lens starts a bit brighter f2.4 and goes to 600mm at f4.4 and, it is easier to hold a heavier camera steady. If you havent yet, check out that models 'zoom assist'. I wrote a separate thread about it.

-- hide signature --

Elliott

Drmarcus
Drmarcus Forum Member • Posts: 57

Thanks Elliot, just checked out your comments on the Sony RX10 IV “zoom assist feature”.  I have used it frequently, it’s certainly a helpful feature.  By the way the RX10 IV zoom lens reaches f4.0 at 600mm.

Drmarcus's gear list:Drmarcus's gear list
Sony RX10 IV Sony RX100 VII Sony a6000 Sony FE 70-200 F4 Sony Vario-Tessar T* E 16-70mm F4 ZA OSS +4 more
tcirillo Regular Member • Posts: 190

elliott, i can't say enough good things about you having taken the time to do this. enourmously helpful; i ended up changing a half dozen items thanks to this:

a couple of stupid semi related q's:

. using your approach to panorama's, is there a way to direct the cam to move left to right? i don't see it

. using low continuous, after three shots i get a stacked pic in playback. how 'play' each of these individually? I tried control wheel, rockers...nada. can' t seem to go from one to another

everything else is v well explained; thanks again, tom

thanks for the thanks,

I am actively shooting now, learning, and I have found My Menu is a life saver changing any of those 30 items.

Any time I have to find something not in Fn or MyMenu, it's very frustrating, especially outdoors with some glare on the LCD. Takes a long time, and you sometimes miss it, and have to back thru all the pages, find it, change it.

I can't shut up about it, but repeated search in the main menu while shooting, while learning, batteries, batteries.

I have been going thru stages of blur avoidance, trying slower shutter speeds, to help this lens keep low ISO.

continuous shooting, slow 3fps speed,

self timer 2 sec

hdr, which is 3 shots, then power for in-camera processing, then recording 2 images

all these use more power than normal also.

DRO involves processing, HDR and MFNR involve multi-shots and processing, the way I frequently hold half press focus and wait for something, all are terriific capabilities, using more power than simpler use.

-- hide signature --

Elliott

tcirillo wrote:

elliott, i can't say enough good things about you having taken the time to do this. enourmously helpful; i ended up changing a half dozen items thanks to this:

a couple of stupid semi related q's:

. using your approach to panorama's, is there a way to direct the cam to move left to right? i don't see it

yes.

I put Panorama direction in My Menu. You cannot make Pano changes unless the top wheel is in Pano shooting mode.

I am left handed, I may hold the camera differently than you. also, when you turn the camera vertically, your hand moves, especially if big hands like mine. It needs to be the best position for you to hold steady while sweeping.

I put a small round adhesive felt button on the shutter button so I can find the shutter holding the camera in any position.

I set direction up, turn camera vertically, and sweep left to right. You can just as easily set direction down, turn camera vertically and sweep right to left.

Pano sets the focus distance and exposure at the beginning of the sweep. Consider where to begin the sweep, and which end to start to get initial exposure best for the shot. Landscape? don't start the sweep at a bright or dark section.

I sometimes use AEL auto exposure lock before the actual sweep. just hold the camera, do a pretend sweep, see when the exposure gets best, lock it with your custom AEL button, (left rocker for me), see asterisk in info line. Now do the actual sweep.

just sitting here, real backlit exposure problem, I did just that, quickie example

much easier to lift shadows than cut highlights,

a quickie windows 10 1 button enhance

here is normal 24mm shot, left edge same start, whole right side missing. the up/sideways sweep is much wider, this is how I use it.

crossing a bridge, landscape, river, ducks flying across, smoke from a train on the tracks along the river, now I want a wide pano. In My Menu, change Pano direction to sideways, pick which end best to start focus distance, set left or right, sweep. see what I got, learn from it, do another. exposure problematic, do a pretend sweep, pick and lock exposure with AEL, sweep.

btw, you can use manual focus in Pano, so it there is a primary subject somewhere in the sweep, use manual focus to get that focus distance, then do your sweep.

. using low continuous, after three shots i get a stacked pic in playback. how 'play' each of these individually? I tried control wheel, rockers...nada. can' t seem to go from one to another

hell if i know. I don't review much, just to confirm framing, focus and lack of blur, you can at least see from the 1st shot what framing and exposure you got and adjust, shoot again.

everything else is v well explained; thanks again, tom

-- hide signature --

Elliott

Kent_SF Forum Member • Posts: 82

Regarding page 7 and 8 items:

AEL with shutter - if you do not want a half press on the shutter to lock focus and exposure both, this setting should be off.  Then, the half press only locks focus.

I set my flash to rear sync rather than fill flash.  The subjects eyes should not close when the flash is at the end of the exposure so I prefer rear sync. I never use red-eye reduction as that problem is easier to fix in post.  Closed eyes or subject movement after the initial flash (using red-eye settings) are far worse problems to fix than red-eye.

This camera will be more likely to cause red-eye though due to the location of the flash (centered and right above the lens).

I only have the flash up when I intend to use flash.  I use negative flash exposure compensation regularly though (simulates fill flash, depending on the setting). A little flash can help with color saturation and decrease noise somewhat.  Also helps fill in harsh shadows for subjects in sunlight.

My other recently acquired camera is a Nikon D3X (10+ year-old technology) which has much better dynamic range than the RX100 series.  The files are much easier to manipulate in Lightroom (especially with the RAW 14-bit option for the D3X).

My goal is to find color settings for the RX100 mVI that are close to the Nikon D3X.  This will not be easy.

Other pages:

Histogram - are you reviewing this after the shot?  This is an extremely useful tool in setting exposure compensation and flash compensation shot by shot.

if using the flash, I agree that reviewing the histogram before shutter release may not be very useful.

I use the C button for exposure compensation and the right rocker button for flash compensation.  This provides immediate access to these two critical settings that can change shot to shot.

I only place items in My Menu that I expect to change on a regular basis with one exception.  I always want the silent operation option.  If it somehow changed, I want to be able to go to My Menu to immediately turn off the Audio Signals option.

Currently, I am only using 20 of the 30 My Menu options in combination with the 12 function buttons and the 7 Memory Bank options (for advanced users - beyond the scope of this thread).

Thank you for all your hard work on camera set-up matters!

Kent

Kent_SF's gear list:Kent_SF's gear list
Sony RX100 VI Nikon D3X

Kent_SF wrote:

Kent,

thanks for your input, I was about to write and ask people why they haven't chimed in with their preferences, things they are trying.

Regarding page 7 and 8 items:

AEL with shutter - if you do not want a half press on the shutter to lock focus and exposure both, this setting should be off. Then, the half press only locks focus.

Holy crap, you are right,

and I thought I just figured out what Sony meant, I thought AEL with Shutter ON was asking it to wait to take the exposure metering when the shutter fired, after I previously locked focus distance at half press and after I re-composed. IOW, not lock exposure at half press. I just did a test, you are correct, AEL with shutter OFF inexplicity takes exposure after focus, when shutter is finally activated. Can you put it in words that make sense?

I knew from this week that I was going to re-visit that setting, thanks for this.

I set my flash to rear sync rather than fill flash. The subjects eyes should not close when the flash is at the end of the exposure so I prefer rear sync.

I never tried anything except flash compensation, I will have to try rear sync, my granddaughter is a perfect red eyed devil to test.

And probably come back to you for more flash help.

I never use red-eye reduction as that problem is easier to fix in post.

I agree, I just wanted to make the point about true eye color. PP RER is not good at that.

There are a lot of people who hate flash, but I think, like my R1, this camera will want you to have some flash skills. I hope to give some good flash examples soon, I am sure you can do that. Especially if it leads to enough success to keep rather than return it. Of course, anything close, I have my f1.8 m3, however, shallow depth of focus can get involved.

Closed eyes or subject movement after the initial flash (using red-eye settings) are far worse problems to fix than red-eye.

This camera will be more likely to cause red-eye though due to the location of the flash (centered and right above the lens).

True, and, if you want to bounce the flash, more than likely you will need to lower the EVF, it's in the way of using a left hand finger to flex the flash back.

I am not liking this EVf, and, as mentioned elsewhere, the diopter shifts a bit from my setting when I lower and raise it. re-adjusting it at the beginning of a photo stroll, leaving it up is one thing, but on/off, back on later, off, having to re-adjust diopter is a pain, and nearly impossible to do at night.

I only have the flash up when I intend to use flash. I use negative flash exposure compensation regularly though (simulates fill flash, depending on the setting). A little flash can help with color saturation and decrease noise somewhat. Also helps fill in harsh shadows for subjects in sunlight.

Exactly as I use it, except I never tried rear flash. My Oly, the flash strength automatically follows the ev compensation, I like that a lot. Now, spot metering can automatically follow the movable focus spot which is very nice, my Oly does not do that.

My other recently acquired camera is a Nikon D3X (10+ year-old technology) which has much better dynamic range than the RX100 series. The files are much easier to manipulate in Lightroom (especially with the RAW 14-bit option for the D3X).

My goal is to find color settings for the RX100 mVI that are close to the Nikon D3X. This will not be easy.

Well, people like Fuji colors, Canon colors, I like Sony colors, starting with S85, R1 (renowned for it's Jpeg colors), and find the rx100's, RX10 and RX1r very consistent to the R1 colors. the rx100 m1 and m3 give slightly different blue/purple, nice, but not reallity perfect like the R1. Based on blue/purple hydrangeas in Ocean Grove, I suspect the rx100m6 blues/purples are better than the m1,3 I need more time with it.

Other pages:

Histogram - are you reviewing this after the shot? This is an extremely useful tool in setting exposure compensation and flash compensation shot by shot.

if using the flash, I agree that reviewing the histogram before shutter release may not be very useful.

I don't use Histogram or Zebra, seems to clinical to me, I prefer to learn how to get what I want my way. My way is often dark shadows, and darker than others prefer, they probably think I would do better with the Histogram, but actually Histogram would take me brighter than I prefer.

I use the C button for exposure compensation and the right rocker button for flash compensation. This provides immediate access to these two critical settings that can change shot to shot.

Bottom rocker is exposure compensation by default, and you cannot reassign it, I don't know why you would not use it and use C button for something else.

I only place items in My Menu that I expect to change on a regular basis

aren't they already in your Fn menu 12 items?
All my active settings are there

with one exception. I always want the silent operation option. If it somehow changed, I want to be able to go to My Menu to immediately turn off the Audio Signals option.

I always use silent, never a noise, since m1 in 2012. Setting has never somehow changed in 6 years for me

Currently, I am only using 20 of the 30 My Menu options in combination with the 12 function buttons and the 7 Memory Bank options (for advanced users - beyond the scope of this thread).

My My Menu surprisingly got to 29 (I left a blank to add one if needed right away). Things I might look for, in the future, to try/learn, so much quicker to find here rather than the crazy huge main menu. After a while I will eliminate some to get it shorter, thus faster to find something, alphabetical is proving very helpful.

Thank you for all your hard work on camera set-up matters!

I bought an Oly XZ-1 early 2012. Very happy with the stills, but the video sucked, focus hunting was terrible. I tried a Canon S100, read about problems, Canon very hesitant, but finally took responsibility, returned it. Funny thing is, I don't use the rx100's for video, the mics are too omni-directional and frequency/volume limited for live sound, especially music. So, I was lucky I returned the XZ-1, even though use of video turned out to be zero.

Presto, Sony announced the rx100m1. I pre-ordered 2, one for Sue. She was not successful with it, and moved back to FL, so I put together setup instructions in writing, for me and her so I could help her long distance. It is such a magnificent camera, I wanted everybody to get the best from it. People got their m1's just before late summer vacations, no manual existed, and it's IS sucked, and it defaulted to 1/30th even in bright light. People came back from expensive vacations with blurred stills, what a shame. So, I wrote my 'Get Thee out of Auto' Manifesto!

These damn things are HARD, but terrific, or, terrific but HARD.

Kent

-- hide signature --

Elliott

Karl Scharf wrote:

Great way to sort "My Menu", thanks for sharing!

damn good thing I put them here, I didn't write them down when I wiped the returned unit clean.

Whew

-- hide signature --

Elliott

New camera just delivered!

-- hide signature --

Elliott