rx100m6 MY MENU

Started 5 months ago | Discussions
elliottnewcomb Forum Pro • Posts: 15,544
rx100m6 MY MENU

rx100m6 MY MENU

Try menus, get started, change them as you figure it out, which items, what order, what adjacencies, wil become clear.

My Menu, pg 263 Help Guide

Main Menu is 6 categories, 34 primary pages, hard to remember where something is.
Initially used to learn and setup the camera, best avoided after that.

My Menu is an alternate Menu you create: 6 items per page, 5 pages, maximum 30 items. Much easier and faster to find the items you put there.

Supplements the Fn button menu, but different

1. Fn menu is for fast changes while shooting, shot to shot, as needed.
put settings you actively change while shooting there.
single button press, all 12 items shown on 1 page, rocker to 1 of 12, change it.

2. My Menu, starts empty, it's setup page is page 1 to begin.
'Add Item' one at a time, (my menu has 31 pages of single item choices, no sub-menus).
max 6 items per page. no need to fill each page, you can group things for your logic

it 'builds' to 2 pages, 3, .. as you add items, becomes full at 30 items. setup page moves to the last page, eventually pg 6 if you use 5 pages of items.
put settings you may use, or are learning. Only search 5 pages to find any item you put there.

After a while you may change the items, adjacencies, which page you put stuff on.

3. Using My Menu

several more steps than Fn button menu, many less steps than main menu

a. press menu buttom
b. rocker up till in top 6 category bar
c. rocker over to the My Menu (STAR) icon
d. rocker down to 1st item on page 1.
e. find your item, rocker up or down or right to next page.
note: at last My Menu page, if you rocker right, it will jump to Camera 1 category.

-- hide signature --

Elliott

elliottnewcomb's gear list:elliottnewcomb's gear list
Sony RX1R Olympus Stylus 1 Sony RX100 III Olympus Stylus 1s Sony RX100 VI +1 more
Clix Pix
Clix Pix Regular Member • Posts: 350
Re: rx100m6 MY MENU

Yesterday I decided to tackle setting up the "My Menu" thingy and so far have added just three items;  I think this could really be quite useful!  No more menu digging when I just need to format the memory card....it's at the top of the newly established "My Menu" list!

-- hide signature --

Through the years with Nikon Coolpixes, followed by D70, D200, D2Xs, D300 and D3
Lotsa good glass, with emphasis on macro lenses
PBase supporter, Zenfolio supporter

Clix Pix's gear list:Clix Pix's gear list
Sony RX100 V Sony RX10 IV Sony RX100 VI Sony Alpha NEX-7
Digital Shutterbug Veteran Member • Posts: 3,767

elliottnewcomb wrote:

3. Using My Menu

a. press menu buttom
note: at last My Menu page, if you rocker right, it will jump to Camera 1 category.

I rarely go outside the My Menu. Most everything I need to access is in the Fn menu or My Menu.

In the RX10 IV, and I assume the RX100 VI, there is an option to allow the camera to default to the last page used anytime you press the menu button. Because I'm always in My Menu when I exit, the next time I press the menu button, I'm right back in My Menu. That eliminates steps b, c and d in your instructions.

If you don't have the option active to default to the last used page, I suggest you try it. It can save much time and button pushing.

-- hide signature --

Steve

OP elliottnewcomb Forum Pro • Posts: 15,544

yes, you are correct. that assumes people use the menu as you do. I will do that after I set mine up, good idea

with the rx100m1,2 they only have 7 items in their Fn menu. I was in the habit of leaving the main menu on something else I might want. then that iten need not be in Fn menu, thus something else a bit more active could go there.

rx100m3,4,5 and 6 all return to wherever you were last in the main menu by default (previous)., so people just need to know that and pick a page when exiting the menu.

Just discovered, if you are 'in a page', rather the top bar, to get to the top bar you can rocker up of course, you can also rocker down, it jumps UP after the bottom line.

m1,2 the menu defaults to 'top' which is top left item. somewhere in the menu you get a choice for 'previous'. that should be the 1st thing to do when trying to learn the menu.

-- hide signature --

Elliott

Sony RX1R Olympus Stylus 1 Sony RX100 III Olympus Stylus 1s Sony RX100 VI +1 more
gteague
gteague Senior Member • Posts: 2,424

btw, i did an extensive menu and manual hunt and was unable to find the option to go to the top of the menu (1st item) or the last item accessed. i'm sure it was in my previous sony rx100s.

if i just missed it, i'd sure appreciate someone telling me where it is. but it sounds like you're saying some models just default to the 'last used' mode.

tks, /guy

-- hide signature --

"Before you take that shot, ask yourself: What Would HCB do?" ~/s

gteague's gear list:gteague's gear list
Sony RX100 VI Panasonic GH5 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH Panasonic Leica DG Macro-Elmarit 45mm F2.8 ASPH OIS Panasonic Leica D Summilux Asph 25mm F1.4 +9 more

correct, after m1,2 no choice, previous it is, happily I think

-- hide signature --

Elliott

gteague wrote:

btw, i did an extensive menu and manual hunt and was unable to find the option to go to the top of the menu (1st item) or the last item accessed. i'm sure it was in my previous sony rx100s.

if i just missed it, i'd sure appreciate someone telling me where it is. but it sounds like you're saying some models just default to the 'last used' mode.

tks, /guy

I also stated in this thread that the RX10 IV had this feature. I've looked it over (multiple times) and that feature does not exist. Likewise, my RX100 V has no option like that. I have no idea where I got that information. I apologize for posting misinformation.

-- hide signature --

Steve

gteague

Digital Shutterbug wrote:

gteague wrote:

tks, /guy

I also stated in this thread that the RX10 IV had this feature. I've looked it over (multiple times) and that feature does not exist. Likewise, my RX100 V has no option like that. I have no idea where I got that information. I apologize for posting misinformation.

np mate. i too just sold an rx10iii and i've had previous rx100 models and i'm sure the option was there somewhere. and eliot says the m1 and m2 had it, which makes sense--i think i had the m1, then jumped to the m5.

/guy

-- hide signature --

Sony RX100 VI Panasonic GH5 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH Panasonic Leica DG Macro-Elmarit 45mm F2.8 ASPH OIS Panasonic Leica D Summilux Asph 25mm F1.4 +9 more

Just knowing My Menu exists has calmed me down. No rush, but it will simplify the beast.

I am making a paper list of items I will be searching for, both to learn and as alternates. I will get them in some numbered order on paper first, then add them in that order, not perfectly, but ordered by my logic, that will be a treat.

you can move them later, but that seems techy boring to me.

no hurry, but I will have shortened the monster menu to 5 pages for the majority of my needs.

thank you Sony

-- hide signature --

Elliott

elliottnewcomb wrote:

Just knowing My Menu exists has calmed me down. No rush, but it will simplify the beast.

I am making a paper list of items I will be searching for, both to learn and as alternates. I will get them in some numbered order on paper first, then add them in that order, not perfectly, but ordered by my logic, that will be a treat.

you can move them later, but that seems techy boring to me.

no hurry, but I will have shortened the monster menu to 5 pages for the majority of my needs.

thank you Sony

You may know already, but when you store each item in My Menu, you choose which page and line you want it stored on. Making a paper list is a good idea. It can save some time later on trying to move things around. But, you don't need to worry about entering them in the order you have selected. Just place them as you store them.

This isn't immediately obvious as the camera shows you where it's going to place the item by default (indicated by a red line). Just use the arrow keys to move that line to your preferred page and line. Hit the center button and bingo, it's inserted exactly where you want it.

You can't move down to a specific line, leaving blank lines above it. Don't worry about that. Insert it on the next available line on your preferred page. i.e. if you want a given item on line 5, it's okay to place it on line 2 if that's the next available line. As you store additional items, insert them (the red line designation) above the previous item(s). Everything below that gets pushed down. It's easier to do than explain.

-- hide signature --

Steve

thanks, I just want to find some logic on paper before I begin, at 70 that is not easy on any given day.

-- hide signature --

Elliott

Karl Scharf
Karl Scharf Veteran Member • Posts: 3,976

elliottnewcomb wrote:

rx100m6 MY MENU

Try menus, get started, change them as you figure it out, which items, what order, what adjacencies, wil become clear.

My Menu, pg 263 Help Guide

Main Menu is 6 categories, 34 primary pages, hard to remember where something is.
Initially used to learn and setup the camera, best avoided after that.

My Menu is an alternate Menu you create: 6 items per page, 5 pages, maximum 30 items. Much easier and faster to find the items you put there.

Supplements the Fn button menu, but different

1. Fn menu is for fast changes while shooting, shot to shot, as needed.
put settings you actively change while shooting there.
single button press, all 12 items shown on 1 page, rocker to 1 of 12, change it.

2. My Menu, starts empty, it's setup page is page 1 to begin.
'Add Item' one at a time, (my menu has 31 pages of single item choices, no sub-menus).
max 6 items per page. no need to fill each page, you can group things for your logic

it 'builds' to 2 pages, 3, .. as you add items, becomes full at 30 items. setup page moves to the last page, eventually pg 6 if you use 5 pages of items.
put settings you may use, or are learning. Only search 5 pages to find any item you put there.

After a while you may change the items, adjacencies, which page you put stuff on.

3. Using My Menu

a. press menu buttom

Don't forget, besides the function button (Fn) and the My Menu page, you also have the Quick Navi screen that lets you easily control the camera. This is a fixed, non customizable set of functions that you can always fall back on if you get overwhelmed!

Well done Sony!

-- hide signature --

...."Sony, your crap is so good"....love this quote!

Karl Scharf's gear list:Karl Scharf's gear list
Sony RX100 VI Sony a77 II Sigma 18-250mm F3.5-6.3 DC OS HSM Sigma 10-20mm F4-5.6 EX DC HSM Sigma 50-500mm F4.5-6.3 DG OS HSM +8 more

elliottnewcomb wrote:

thanks, I just want to find some logic on paper before I begin, at 70 that is not easy on any given day.

I'm just a bit behind you in age. Sadly, I still understand exactly what you mean.

-- hide signature --

Steve

tbcass
tbcass Forum Pro • Posts: 38,761

elliottnewcomb wrote:

a. press menu buttom

Once you set it up if you open something in My menu the next time when you push the main menu button it goes directly to my menu. As long as you don't go to something outside My Menu it will always default to My Menu. When used that way it's the same # of steps as the Fn button. Used together they give you 42 options, more than I need. Since setting up my menu I haven't gone to the main menu even once.

-- hide signature --

Tom
Look at the picture, not the pixels

tbcass's gear list:tbcass's gear list
Sony RX100 Sony RX10 IV Sony a99 II Tamron SP AF 90mm F/2.8 Di Macro Sony DT 35mm F1.8 SAM +9 more
tbcass
tbcass Forum Pro • Posts: 38,761

Digital Shutterbug wrote:

In the RX10 IV, and I assume the RX100 VI, there is an option to allow the camera to default to the last page used anytime you press the menu button. Because I'm always in My Menu when I exit, the next time I press the menu button, I'm right back in My Menu. That eliminates steps b, c and d in your instructions.

If you don't have the option active to default to the last used page, I suggest you try it. It can save much time and button pushing.

That is correct!

-- hide signature --

Tom
Look at the picture, not the pixels

tbcass's gear list:tbcass's gear list
Sony RX100 Sony RX10 IV Sony a99 II Tamron SP AF 90mm F/2.8 Di Macro Sony DT 35mm F1.8 SAM +9 more
gteague

ok, you guys have convinced me. on my gh5 i only use the mymenu for seldom used menu items such as /format/ and /version/, but i'm going to try populating the sony mymenu with the 30 or 31 items i know i might want to change at some point or other. the decisions i'll have to make are  whether to duplicate /fn/ or /custom/ menu items or whether to try to group the mymenu by the same categories in the main menu or sort them by priority instead of trying to 'page' them.

here goes at least two batteries!

/guy

-- hide signature --

gteague

completely drained one of the wasabi batteries in the 20-25 minutes it took me to redo the mymenu module. a few of these are duplicated from the /fn/ and /custom/ menus.

anyway, here's my new mymenu fwiw to anyone:

*** my menu ***

11 airplane mode

12 monitor brightness

13 focus mode

14 focus area

15 panorama size

16 panorama direction

-- hide signature --

21 iso

22 exp comp

23 white balance

24 dro/auto hdr

25 creative style

26 picture profile

---

31 gamma disp boost

32 zebras

33 peaking

34 mic level

35 movie rec settings

36 movie proxy record

---

41 shutter type

42 bracket settings

43 zoom speed

44 af drive speed

44 af track sens

45 ___

46 ___

---

51 function menu set

52 stills custom key set

53 ___

54 mr store

55 format

56 version

========================================

--

Karl Scharf
Karl Scharf Veteran Member • Posts: 3,976

gteague wrote:

ok, you guys have convinced me. on my gh5 i only use the mymenu for seldom used menu items such as /format/ and /version/, but i'm going to try populating the sony mymenu with the 30 or 31 items i know i might want to change at some point or other. the decisions i'll have to make are whether to duplicate /fn/ or /custom/ menu items or whether to try to group the mymenu by the same categories in the main menu or sort them by priority instead of trying to 'page' them.

here goes at least two batteries!

/guy

Just got my RX100VI, what a great new toy!

Not as intimidating as I thought it would be, lots of similarities with my original RX100.

Reprogrammed some of the buttons and filled the function menu (Fn) with 12 items that I have used frequently in the past. Tomorrow I will work on 'My Menu'. I try not to repeat any of the controls to keep it simple. The quick-navi screen is a great feature!

The movie and network settings are of low priority for me.

Hoping Gary Friedman will come out with an e-book soon!

One thing I did notice so far, the buttons and wheel are very small and sensitive, will take some time and practice to get used to. But, that's the small price you pay for miniaturization!

The Sony grip and Gariz half case helps in handling the camera and the Mag Filter ring fits perfectly on the front of the lens.

Perfect case for the new toy!

-- hide signature --

...."Sony, your crap is so good"....love this quote!

Karl Scharf's gear list:Karl Scharf's gear list
Sony RX100 VI Sony a77 II Sigma 18-250mm F3.5-6.3 DC OS HSM Sigma 10-20mm F4-5.6 EX DC HSM Sigma 50-500mm F4.5-6.3 DG OS HSM +8 more
PhotoPoet
PhotoPoet Forum Member • Posts: 85

Thank you! Super helpful!

PhotoPoet's gear list:PhotoPoet's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS50 Sony RX100 VI Nikon D7200 Fujifilm X-T2 Apple iPhone X
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads