Elliott's rx100m6 NOTES, part one

Started 8 months ago | Discussions
elliottnewcomb Forum Pro • Posts: 16,130
Elliott's rx100m6 NOTES, part one

I gotta learn/beat this midget marvel, keep or return it. Leaving tomorrow for a week Down the Shore, to get the best out of it.

Reading the Help Guide, 584 pages, making handwritten notes

https://docs.sony.com/release//HELP_4737296111.pdf

Part One, up to pg 263 is a 14 page PDF (skipped pages about movies)

Anybody want it, send me a private message with your email, I will forward it to you.

Hope you have good eyes and the wisdom of Carnac to read my notes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZFQFf_Vb0Hw

-- hide signature --

Elliott

elliottnewcomb's gear list:elliottnewcomb's gear list
Sony RX1R Olympus Stylus 1 Sony RX100 III Olympus Stylus 1s Sony RX100 VI +1 more
tcirillo Regular Member • Posts: 185
Re: Elliott's rx100m6 NOTES, part one

thanks to elliott, i've found the 'manual'.  yes, 580pgs, ugh.  wish me luck

OP elliottnewcomb Forum Pro • Posts: 16,130

OK, I finished all 584 pages, much is blank paper, every item starts on its own page, blank paper to the next item.

much is repeated.

pages 356 to 569: EVERY MENU ITEM IS EXPLAINED

In the order of the menu, line by line, every option

just make a list of the menu items you want to clarify, in order, note which menu pages they are on, then find it's explanation page, same order in those pages.

Not saying Sony's explanations are clear, but you might get a hint, then figure it out yourself, or ask for help.

It is a magnificent machine, don't let a menu keep you from knowing that.

-- hide signature --

Elliott

Sony RX1R Olympus Stylus 1 Sony RX100 III Olympus Stylus 1s Sony RX100 VI +1 more
chris_mg New Member • Posts: 2

Hi Elliott

I've just acquired an rx100m6, as a complement to my (also quite new) a7rm3. Like you, I find advancing age makes extravagant spending on top-notch technology justifiable.

It is an astonishing camera, and I can see mine is going to get a lot of use once I have it tamed. I'll take the a7rm3 plus two beefy zooms in a backpack when I'm on a mission, but for most purposes the results I'm getting with the rx will do nicely.

I am driven crazy by the 'help guides' for both cameras, and as soon as the moderators approve my DPR account I'll PM you to take up your offer of a copy of your digested version of the rx document.

Your various posts on this splendid device are hugely helpful. Thanks very much for sharing what you have worked out.

best

Chris

chris_mg's gear list:chris_mg's gear list
Sony RX100 VI Sony a7R III

chris_mg wrote:

Hi Elliott

I've just acquired an rx100m6, as a complement to my (also quite new) a7rm3. Like you, I find advancing age makes extravagant spending on top-notch technology justifiable.

It is an astonishing camera, and I can see mine is going to get a lot of use once I have it tamed. I'll take the a7rm3 plus two beefy zooms in a backpack when I'm on a mission, but for most purposes the results I'm getting with the rx will do nicely.

I am driven crazy by the 'help guides' for both cameras, and as soon as the moderators approve my DPR account I'll PM you to take up your offer of a copy of your digested version of the rx document.

That document is specifically for the rx100m1. perhaps still useful for new rx100m1, m2 owners, however:

since then, I have posted specific setup suggestions for newer models, including your m6.

Those are included in this recap of my threads

https://www.dpreview.com/forums/thread/4305938?page=2#forum-post-62281900

Your various posts on this splendid device are hugely helpful. Thanks very much for sharing what you have worked out.

I have learned a great deal here Chris, my motivation to give back.

Also, don't forget, Gary Friedman and Alex White both have books about the many models.

best

Chris

-- hide signature --

Elliott

chris_mg New Member • Posts: 2

elliottnewcomb wrote:

chris_mg wrote:

That document is specifically for the rx100m1. perhaps still useful for new rx100m1, m2 owners, however:

since then, I have posted specific setup suggestions for newer models, including your m6.

Elliott:

You have me thoroughly confused. This thread refers to the m6 repeatedly (in the title, in particular). But the notes relate to the m1?

Oh well ...

Your more recent setup suggestions are very helpful.

cheers

Chris

chris_mg's gear list:chris_mg's gear list
Sony RX100 VI Sony a7R III
Guy Parsons
Guy Parsons Forum Pro • Posts: 31,221
Chris....

Some say a recommended book is this https://whiteknightpress.com/photographers-guide-to-the-sony-dsc-rx100-vi/ and there's also a more expensive one with much the same in it from Gary Friedman.

Some free help at https://www.wimarys.com/rx100vi-setup-guide-with-tips-and-tricks/

I'm also on the early learning curve, Sony has a way of its own with some things compared to my usual Olympus gear.

Regards...... Guy

Guy Parsons's gear list:Guy Parsons's gear list
Olympus PEN E-P5 Sony RX100 VI Olympus PEN E-PL1 Olympus PEN E-P3 Olympus PEN E-PL5 +2 more

chris_mg wrote:

elliottnewcomb wrote:

chris_mg wrote:

Elliott:

You have me thoroughly confused. This thread refers to the m6 repeatedly (in the title, in particular). But the notes relate to the m1?

I am sorry, I made an assumption you were asking for something else.

Long ago, late 2012, I wrote a 14 page super-condensed manual and learning guide for the rx100m1. I thought you were referring to that. I forgot all about these early m6 notes.

The m6 notes was an interim idea because people were just getting the cameras, and we were trying to figure them out asap, and I was heading out on vacation.

The many rx100m6 threads and m6 setup suggestions came later which incorporate my earlier notes.

Oh well ...

Your more recent setup suggestions are very helpful.

cheers

Chris

Sony ain't easy, but they are worth the work to learn them.

You were sane, I got it wrong! I'm starting to think like Sony! You have to take responsibility for reviving a 7 month old thread to a 70 year old mind.

And, how could both be 14 pages? That must be all I've got in me.

-- hide signature --

Elliott

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads