Comparison of ZS200 and FZ1000

Started 10 months ago | Discussions
Tom K.
Tom K. Senior Member • Posts: 1,699
Comparison of ZS200 and FZ1000

Here are some careless, artless shots taken in my back yard, of the kind that I would normally take when in a park or arboretum or such. Both cameras in P mode which is what I generally use, with autoISO turned on. The ZS200 shot is first, the FZ1000 second.

ZS200

FZ1000

ZS200

FZ1000

ZS200

FZ1000

ZS200

FZ1000

ZS200

FZ1000

ZS200

FZ1000

ZS200 (The image was rotated in ACDSee, don't know why it's sideways here.)

FZ1000 (The image was rotated in ACDSee, don't know why it's sideways here.)

Tom K.'s gear list:Tom K.'s gear list
Panasonic FZ1000 Panasonic ZS200
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Tom K.
OP Tom K. Senior Member • Posts: 1,699
Re: Comparison of ZS200 and FZ1000

And some more from the same session. For what it's worth I bought the ZS200 used from B&H for $600. I had to return the first ZS200 they sent me as it was defective - it put zebra stripes in the picture in overexposed areas.

ZS200

FZ1000

ZS200

FZ1000

ZS200

FZ1000

ZS200

FZ1000

ZS200

FZ1000

ZS200

FZ1000

Lepewhi Senior Member • Posts: 1,205

To my eye, it appears that both cameras overexposed.  I take it that these are both jpeg straight out of the camera? Or maybe just the wrong time of day?

-- hide signature --

Slippery when wet.

Lepewhi's gear list:Lepewhi's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ200 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G6 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX85
Auster Pilot Senior Member • Posts: 1,198

My very brief observations:

Noise seems to be handled well on the ZS200 even at ISO1250

Clearly some FZ1000 are sharper because it was able to select a faster shutter speed at times.

I note that -1/3EV adjustment had been dialled in on the FZ1000 which again gives it some additional edge in terms of shutter speed.

In my opinion the ZS200 did quite well, but there was quite a bit of light around to play with. It would be interesting to see a similar exercise on a late evening or dull day.

-- hide signature --

Neil....
The Sky is a Beautiful Place

Auster Pilot's gear list:Auster Pilot's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ200 Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS40 (TZ60) Panasonic Lumix DC-ZS70 Pentax K-01 Pentax K-30 +2 more
kh1234567890
kh1234567890 Regular Member • Posts: 493

Tom K. wrote:

I had to return the first ZS200 they sent me as it was defective - it put zebra stripes in the picture in overexposed areas.

In the actual images ?

kh1234567890's gear list:kh1234567890's gear list
Panasonic ZS100 Pentax K-7 Pentax K-5 II Pentax smc DA 15mm F4 ED AL Limited Pentax smc DA 16-45mm F4 ED AL +15 more
gloaming Veteran Member • Posts: 3,859

They are quite close to my eye, with the exception of depth of field.  The 200 has more depth across zoomed comparisons depicted,  I "think" there might be a smidgen more contrast in the 1000.

Tom K.

kh1234567890 wrote:

Tom K. wrote:

I had to return the first ZS200 they sent me as it was defective - it put zebra stripes in the picture in overexposed areas.

In the actual images ?

Yes, in the actual images. Make the picture full size and look at the cloud at the upper right.

As I said, this was from the first used ZS200 that B&H sent me, which I returned as defective. The replacement seems to work fine.

Tom K.

Lepewhi wrote:

To my eye, it appears that both cameras overexposed. I take it that these are both jpeg straight out of the camera? Or maybe just the wrong time of day?

Shrug. The exposure looks okay to me. I have a -.33 exposure compensation dialed in all the time on my FZ1000 as neutral seems a little overexposed. Might be my monitor, might be yours. I have seen pics posted by other people that look substantially underexposed to me, so YMMV.

Tom K.

gloaming wrote:

They are quite close to my eye, with the exception of depth of field. The 200 has more depth across zoomed comparisons depicted, I "think" there might be a smidgen more contrast in the 1000.

I agree that depth of field seems to be the biggest differentiator, primarily when zoomed in. I assume that's because the FZ1000 lens is a bit faster and able to operate at larger apertures. Shows up well in the pic of the red faucet handle. It's not a big deal to me, I'm not an artiste´.

I don't know about more contrast with the FZ1000, I'd say more dynamic range.

My previous pocket zoom was a Panasonic ZS50. I'm really liking the much better EVF on the ZS200 (although still not as good as the FZ1000's) and the increased usable ISO range. The zoom range on the ZS50 was much greater going out to 720mm, but that turns out to be more than I generally want to use. The 360-400mm max zoom on the ZS200 and FZ1000 seems to be about the sweet spot for me. The EVF and zoom range are two reasons I did not go for the ZS100.

I'd say the ZS200 is a keeper.

bill hansen Veteran Member • Posts: 9,731

This is the best comparison between these two cameras I've seen. It should lay to rest most of the criticisms of the ZS200 which the DPR review mentioned.

IMO these comparison pics are amazing. In most of the images, even at Original size and magnified, images are "identical". Even though I have the two images, both on my 24 inch monitor, side by side, I can hardly see any difference. At times there's a slight difference in sharpness, but it doesn't always favor the FZ1000. There are the slight differences in DOF, others have mentioned, and occasional slight differences in color rendition, perhaps due to lighting variations, and not at all surprising, - not a problem either.

To me, you've proved that your copy of the ZS200 is the equal of your copy of the FZ1000, both of them excellent cameras.

You went to a lot of work, and it shows. Thanks for this excellent set of comparisons. When it comes time to replace my RX100 ii, I think you've moved me "up" from the ZS100 to the ZS200.

-- hide signature --

Bill Hansen
Ithaca NY, USA

Lepewhi Senior Member • Posts: 1,205

I looked again on another monitor. Mea culpa.

-- hide signature --

Slippery when wet.

Lepewhi's gear list:Lepewhi's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ200 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G6 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX85
Tom K.

bill hansen wrote:

This is the best comparison between these two cameras I've seen. It should lay to rest most of the criticisms of the ZS200 which the DPR review mentioned.

IMO these comparison pics are amazing. In most of the images, even at Original size and magnified, images are "identical". Even though I have the two images, both on my 24 inch monitor, side by side, I can hardly see any difference. At times there's a slight difference in sharpness, but it doesn't always favor the FZ1000. There are the slight differences in DOF, others have mentioned, and occasional slight differences in color rendition, perhaps due to lighting variations, and not at all surprising, - not a problem either.

To me, you've proved that your copy of the ZS200 is the equal of your copy of the FZ1000, both of them excellent cameras.

You went to a lot of work, and it shows. Thanks for this excellent set of comparisons. When it comes time to replace my RX100 ii, I think you've moved me "up" from the ZS100 to the ZS200.

Actually I did very little, work-wise. I just walked around my back yard taking lazy pictures, first with one camera then the next. I just wanted to see for myself how the two cameras compared when used in the way that I use a camera, that is to say without much care. And it looks to me like the ZS200 is a viable sub for the FZ1000 when I don't want to carry the greater bulk.

telefunk
telefunk Senior Member • Posts: 2,252

Tom K. wrote:

Here are some careless, artless shots taken in my back yard, of the kind that I would normally take when in a park or arboretum or such. Both cameras in P mode which is what I generally use, with autoISO turned on. The ZS200 shot is first, the FZ1000 second.

Thanks for that, very interesting! Wish more people would do that exercise. The TZ200 does very well.

The times I've done comparisons (I do it all the time), for example LX5 vs A6000 low light, people have crucified me...

telefunk's gear list:telefunk's gear list
Casio Exilim EX-ZR800 Casio EX-ZR5000 Fujifilm XF10 +5 more
saudidave Senior Member • Posts: 1,946

Tom K. wrote:

Lepewhi wrote:

To my eye, it appears that both cameras overexposed. I take it that these are both jpeg straight out of the camera? Or maybe just the wrong time of day?

Shrug. The exposure looks okay to me. I have a -.33 exposure compensation dialed in all the time on my FZ1000 as neutral seems a little overexposed. Might be my monitor, might be yours. I have seen pics posted by other people that look substantially underexposed to me, so YMMV.

Agreed, they are OK

Dave

saudidave's gear list:saudidave's gear list
Panasonic ZS200 Panasonic G85 +1 more
saudidave Senior Member • Posts: 1,946

telefunk wrote:

Tom K. wrote:

Thanks for that, very interesting! Wish more people would do that exercise. The TZ200 does very well.

The times I've done comparisons (I do it all the time), for example LX5 vs A6000 low light, people have crucified me...

As may have been noted, several regulars to these pages have been highly critical (and on occasions have made some rather unpleasant personal comments)  about my defence of the ZS200. These comparisons IMHO appear to justify my stance. There doesn't  appear to be any notable real world difference between the output of the much lauded FZ1000 and the highly criticised and condemned ZS200.

Dave

saudidave's gear list:saudidave's gear list
Panasonic ZS200 Panasonic G85 +1 more
telefunk
telefunk Senior Member • Posts: 2,252

saudidave wrote:

telefunk wrote:

Tom K. wrote:

As may have been noted, several regulars to these pages have been highly critical (and on occasions have made some rather unpleasant personal comments) about my defence of the ZS200. These comparisons IMHO appear to justify my stance. There doesn't appear to be any notable real world difference between the output of the much lauded FZ1000 and the highly criticised and condemned ZS200.

Dave

Indeed. Don't shoot the Messenger etc...?

telefunk's gear list:telefunk's gear list
Casio Exilim EX-ZR800 Casio EX-ZR5000 Fujifilm XF10 +5 more
MikeF15
MikeF15 Regular Member • Posts: 179

Agreed

I brought my new ZS200 on vacation. It made it through dim museum lighting, bright sunny days and normal household lighting just fine. Nothing scientific or technical about my shots, just family and fun. I loved the handling and the ease of use this "little" camera provides.

Admittedly I kept it on iA most of the time in order to enjoy the moment(s) with family and friends and was extremely happy with the choices that the camera made,.. Would I have done/chosen a different setting,.. maybe but I will never know and frankly don't care.

This camera is an amazing photographic tool,.. use it and enjoy it. No questions needed!!

Cheers

Mike F

PS:

Of course it can be used to a higher degree (Manual mode etc),.. if you want to

MikeF15's gear list:MikeF15's gear list
Fujifilm X70 Fujifilm X100F Panasonic ZS200 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM5 +6 more
Tom K.

Auster Pilot wrote:

In my opinion the ZS200 did quite well, but there was quite a bit of light around to play with. It would be interesting to see a similar exercise on a late evening or dull day.

https://www.dpreview.com/forums/thread/4303271

I've posted some lower-light shots from the ZS200 in this thread. No FZ1000 shots for comparison, though. The auto ISO did not go above 1600 on its own, I had to set ISO higher manually to get that to happen.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads