Which is best top Video Editing Software ? "I Know this is common question and subjective 4 person "

Started Jul 6, 2018 | Questions
MackMack Regular Member • Posts: 283
Which is best top Video Editing Software ? "I Know this is common question and subjective 4 person "

I already opened this question at 'retouching' forum but was not getting better replies so someone told me to post it here, so I am just transferring that post here.

-- hide signature --

+---------------------------------------------------

Before starting this 'Common question' I want to clear few things so that you will understand my exact intention behind this question.

I am looking Windows-based Video Editing Tool, for example :

Davinci Resolve (627 MB for 64-bit Windows) (Free one / Non-studio)
Shortcut (184 MB for 64-bit Windows)
HitFilm (275 MB for 64-bit Windows)

others are :

Adobe Premiere Pro
Avid Media Composer
ACDSee [I know it is paid not free]
Open Shot
Lightworks
Blender (I know it is for 3d graphics design but it can also be used for video edition)

------------------------------------+-----------------------

I observe on some site Final Cut is available for Windows but it is only for Mac don't know if they are pirated one.

I am posting this question to just know different people experience and there views who had already installed and used some of, or other tools. That according to them why they fell so and so tool is better than the other.

This will give me and others, a general review regard comparison wise between free Video Tools.

Parameter what we can consider are :

1. Best for low configured laptop example 7th gen i5, 8GB RAM, Windows 10, 2 GB Radeon graphic. (less resource hungry) [IMO Shortcut]

2. Best for 'user-friendly' / easy to understand and use. [IMO Davinci]

3. Best for basic tasks, example Improving existing video by removing Noise, Color Correction, Sharpness, Contrast, Shadows etc. [don't know ?]

The purpose of this question is just to get others views that why they like so and so compared to so and so

example : In which area (where) shortcut beat HitFilm and Davinci resolve and vice versa.

In case if any other Free better Video Edition software also then please include in comparison list (comparison review list/ pros and cons of each)

also, we can compare Vegas pro 14 vs adobe premiere vs above three (free one)

Also adding one more parameter that is if I want to shoot RAW Photo in burst mode for example 10 RAW in one second and from these RAW I want to create new frames between every 10 RAW images/frame using interpolation technique so that for example I am getting total 30 frames for one second and like this making 8K video then out of these three (shortcut, hitfilm, davinci) which can do interpolation job or none of them is capable to do interpolation job for a RAW frame. (I saw a video of after effect in that it is possible)

Note : I have included Paid and Free in above list so I am not concern about that but still prefer to go free if any of them is best. Because some time fee ones are better than paid one so there is no rule that Paid is always best than the free one.

--------------------------------------------------------------+----------------------------------------------

Boomanbb wrote:

You are correct in saying this is very subjective. Why don’t you just install all three and give it a go?

Yes, you are right but, for that, first I have to learn each and every software 'how to use their basic feature'.

It will take lots of time.

and the other ways, if I have a list of 10 free software name and someone has already used at least 4 of them then I can utilize their experience (I know their lick and dislike may differ from me but still it will be helpful for me) and then, first I learn that software only which are liked by most of the people.

and it would be relevant if these people are also giving a reason that why they prefer so and so on top of another. Which will actually also allow me to identify that their like and dislike are common to my lick and dislike?

I gave some parameter also in my post example system configuration, how fast it renders the video, how user-friendly interface is, how good it is in reducing noise from video, color correction, lens distortion, contrast, sharpness etc..

ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
eFilm Senior Member • Posts: 1,741
Don't outsource your decision making to the crowd.

MackMack wrote:

I am looking Free Windows-based Video Editing Tool, for example :

I don't know Shortcut (Shotcut?) but those other two are both feasible and usable tools, but aimed at somewhat different workflow, audiences and goals.

HitFilm's 'thing' is the compositing features and SFX, whilst Resolve is aimed as a day to day power tool to accompany their camera line. Even though it's free doesn't mean it's ideal for every user, every project and for every camera out there.

It's up to your needs, your personal preferences, your skill level and your internal wiring. It depends on what exactly are you trying to accomplish, what kind of work you do, for what or to whom, with what kind of gear, what kind of workflow you prefer, etc.
All of which is subjective. None of which you've disclosed.

The bottom line is, pick whichever option feels best in your own proverbial hands, and feels easy and intuitive enough to learn. The pros and cons of each app are subjective, and depend on you and your skill level, your camera skills, and what your end goal is. Horses for courses.

Since they all have free versions, it ought to be easy enough to give each of them a try. Then just pick the one that seems to fit you the best, commit to it and start working.

Boomanbb wrote:

You are correct in saying this is very subjective. Why don’t you just install all three and give it a go?

Yes, you are right but, for that, first I have to learn each and every software 'how to use their basic feature'.

Ah, now we're getting to the core of the matter, aren't we.

Well, the thing is, everything worth learning will take some time and effort.

and the other ways, if I have a list of 10 free software name and someone has already used at least 4 of them then I can utilize their experience (I know their lick and dislike may differ from me but still it will be helpful for me) and then, first I learn that software only which are liked by most of the people.

I'm afraid it's a path to frustration and disappointments. Different people have different goals, needs, personal preferences and so on.

Even if people rave about the features of, say, HitFilm on the online forum of that software, chances are that after a short while of dabbling with the software you will end up not using it, after all, because it doesn't feel 'just right' to you, and it frustrates you. It happens.

On the other hand, Resolve may be an overkill or just not the right tool for you when you're just getting started with editing. Even though many people swear by it.

Even some experienced editors still keep raving, ranting and even bickering about the features of their beloved software, even though all of the apps do deliver results. Whatever works for each of them is a matter of taste, personal preferences, the work at hand and preferred workflow.

In short, just do the work. It doesn't matter what other people are saying. Be clear about what is it that you want to do. Then find out what works for you in real life.

I gave some parameter also in my post example system configuration, how fast it renders the video, how user-friendly interface is, how good it is in reducing noise from video, color correction, lens distortion, contrast, sharpness etc..

That sort of trivia is pretty meaningless without relevant context. It all depends.

Just pick one, maybe Hitfilm, for example, take some time to go through the numerous tutorials and start practising. Ignore the parts you don't need right now, like compositing.

If you choose it now doesn't mean you couldn't move to something else later, when you gain some experience in video editing. Then you'll start figuring out what is it that you really want and need.

Whichever option you go for, don't outsource the decision making to the crowd.

CanonUserG40
CanonUserG40 Regular Member • Posts: 118
Re: Don't outsource your decision making to the crowd.

I use DaVinci Resolve. Excellent programme with industry leading colour grading. Currently in version 15 beta. Do be aware that it is demanding hardware wise. I have 24gb RAM, and though my Nvidia GPU has 2gb Vram, which is fine for HD, 4k really needs 4gb Vram or more. Also, your Radeon GPU does not use CUDA processing unlike Nvidia cards, so may be slower. This is an excellent professional NLE. Best way is to download and try it to see if it suits your system and what you want to do.

Glen Barrington
Glen Barrington Forum Pro • Posts: 20,534
FWIW, ACDsee VideoStudio 3

I am in the process of reviewing ACDSee Video Studio 3 and sort of comparing it to Techsmith's Camtasia V9 (V10 out, But I own V9!). I think this is a fair comparison since ACDSee itself, compares it to Camtasia.

This article will be on both a readable blog, and a YouTube video. I intend to produce the video Review with ACDSee Video Studio 3.

Video Studio 2 impressions

A major improvement over Visual Studio 1, which was buggy and quirky. It is a very good basic Video editor. Easy to use, and not overburdened with features to cause confusion. Ideal for casual use, and people who want to make basic slide shows of still photos in a video format. Not sure you can still find it since V3 is out. If you do, don't pay full price.

Video Studio 3 impressions

A preliminary assessment.

New features:

1. Can Create a layered hierarchy of Audio, video, and image tracks
  2. Better support for still images (You could use photos in VS2, but this has a  thumbnail browser,  this makes things MUCH easier to deal with!)
  3. Add filters to images & Videos
  4. Tracks independent of media type
  5. Preview in a dynamic & resizable area.
  6. 4K support (I don't have 4k, so I can't test)

Full price is LESS than Camtasia upgrade.

It uses essentially the same user interface as V2 and V1, so it is still easy to understand. Yet the added features don't add significant complexity or obtuseness to the UI.

People it would be useful to:

1. YouTube producers with limited need for special effects. (most people, I think). This is a major upgrade to VS3, VS2 really wasn't quite 'there' yet.
    1. the basic effects both audio and visual are there, but no royalty free audio or video files available. You have to find them yourself on the internet. BUT it does cost MUCH less!
    2. You can incorporate almost anything you find, on the Web, it's open that way.
    3. The overall style of YouTube production doesn't really rely on excessive production values. The effects available are going to be adequate for most people, I think.
  2. Slide Show producers who want to display slide show across Operating system platforms and who want more than standard slideshow transitions.
  3. Hobbyists.

It is NOT an editor for professional videographers, but it should find a home with many people who want to step up their game a bit without spending a lot of money. I like it very much.

Glen Barrington's gear list:Glen Barrington's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M10 Olympus OM-D E-M10 II Olympus E-M5 III Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm 1:4.0-5.6 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH +13 more
Andrew S10 Senior Member • Posts: 1,014
Re: Which is best top Video Editing Software ?

MackMack wrote:

You can add Edius and PowerDirector to the list.

I observe on some site Final Cut is available for Windows but it is only for Mac don't know if they are pirated one.

It is a complete scam. FCPX only works on mac OS.

Also adding one more parameter that is if I want to shoot RAW Photo in burst mode for example 10 RAW in one second and from these RAW I want to create new frames between every 10 RAW images/frame using interpolation technique so that for example I am getting total 30 frames for one second and like this making 8K video then out of these three (shortcut, hitfilm, davinci) which can do interpolation job or none of them is capable to do interpolation job for a RAW frame. (I saw a video of after effect in that it is possible)

If you know it's possible with After Effects, you should look at equivalent software like Fusion or Nuke. I'm not optimistic about you having a good experience interpolating 8K footage on a low powered computer.

DMKAlex
DMKAlex Veteran Member • Posts: 5,133
Re:

If you're a pro, you should know, or you should know someone who knows.

If you're an amateur, you don't need all those sophistications. You can try them out and draw your own conclusion. What works for other may not work for you.

Most of us just spend the time and learn. There is always a learning curve and some obstacles. Some of the obstacles are deal breakers.

Davinci Resolve looks very good with their interface and a lot of people rave about it. For me, it's a no go because I use laptops that do not have the high power GPU it demands.

Not too many of us are in the business of testing one software against the other. We tried something. Got thru the initial hurdles and learned. We became comfortable and developed a workflow around it. And that's about it.

DMKAlex's gear list:DMKAlex's gear list
Nikon D800 Nikon AF Nikkor 20mm f/2.8D Nikon AF-S Nikkor 80-400mm f/4.5-5.6G ED VR Sigma 150-600mm F5-6.3 DG OS HSM | S Panasonic Lumix G Vario 45-150mm F4-5.6 ASPH Mega OIS +3 more
OP MackMack Regular Member • Posts: 283

eFilm wrote:

MackMack wrote:

I am looking Free Windows-based Video Editing Tool, for example :

I don't know Shortcut (Shotcut?) but those other two are both feasible and usable tools, but aimed at somewhat different workflow, audiences and goals.

HitFilm's 'thing' is the compositing features and SFX, whilst Resolve is aimed as a day to day power tool to accompany their camera line. Even though it's free doesn't mean it's ideal for every user, every project and for every camera out there.

It's up to your needs, your personal preferences, your skill level and your internal wiring. It depends on what exactly are you trying to accomplish, what kind of work you do, for what or to whom, with what kind of gear, what kind of workflow you prefer, etc.
All of which is subjective. None of which you've disclosed.

The bottom line is, pick whichever option feels best in your own proverbial hands, and feels easy and intuitive enough to learn. The pros and cons of each app are subjective, and depend on you and your skill level, your camera skills, and what your end goal is. Horses for courses.

Since they all have free versions, it ought to be easy enough to give each of them a try. Then just pick the one that seems to fit you the best, commit to it and start working.

Boomanbb wrote:

Ah, now we're getting to the core of the matter, aren't we.

Well, the thing is, everything worth learning will take some time and effort.

I'm afraid it's a path to frustration and disappointments. Different people have different goals, needs, personal preferences and so on.

Even if people rave about the features of, say, HitFilm on the online forum of that software, chances are that after a short while of dabbling with the software you will end up not using it, after all, because it doesn't feel 'just right' to you, and it frustrates you. It happens.

On the other hand, Resolve may be an overkill or just not the right tool for you when you're just getting started with editing. Even though many people swear by it.

Even some experienced editors still keep raving, ranting and even bickering about the features of their beloved software, even though all of the apps do deliver results. Whatever works for each of them is a matter of taste, personal preferences, the work at hand and preferred workflow.

In short, just do the work. It doesn't matter what other people are saying. Be clear about what is it that you want to do. Then find out what works for you in real life.

That sort of trivia is pretty meaningless without relevant context. It all depends.

Just pick one, maybe Hitfilm, for example, take some time to go through the numerous tutorials and start practising. Ignore the parts you don't need right now, like compositing.

If you choose it now doesn't mean you couldn't move to something else later, when you gain some experience in video editing. Then you'll start figuring out what is it that you really want and need.

Whichever option you go for, don't outsource the decision making to the crowd.

Sorry I forget to mention, what will be my purpose : Capturing Videos and then increasing it's quality by 'Noise reduction', color grading + color correction, changing sharpness, contrast, shadows, Lenses distortion correction, creating new frames in-between original frames using interpolation technique to increase FPS (this is when I have RAW photos shot in burst mode) to create a video from RAW photos (example 4K or 8 K)

this doesn't include VFX or SFX, my online need is shooting a video and then upgrading its quality by above parameters. or Shooting RAW Photos and then from that making new frame to get enough frame to run them as video.

and Yes you are right that even if take the time it is better to try as may be my choice will be different from others but still, just I am curious to know others views what they experience about different video editing software. anyways aftward I will be trying each one at the end.

-- hide signature --

+---

Added more lines :

I have started seeing some video tutorial of few of the software and by that only, I am getting an idea regarding interface, feature, for example, Nuke and fusion are not relevant for my need so out from the list.

I am seeing other also and sorting my list so surely I will come on a conclusion within few days.

But I am not understanding one thing in video editing software while creating new project to edit a video if we are selecting Full HD and then import a video in that project which is HD then how it will be upscaled to Full HD while we import and the same way while we are exporting edited video which is in HD and at the time of export we choose an option Full HD then how this all is happening. Do the software is using interpolation to generate these extra pixels to make it Full HD. In HitFilm 3 Express I saw this at here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CyZt6ktpizA

and In other software also I observer this thing.

Re:

DMKAlex wrote:

If you're an amateur, you don't need all those sophistications. You can try them out and draw your own conclusion. What works for other may not work for you.

Most of us just spend the time and learn. There is always a learning curve and some obstacles. Some of the obstacles are deal breakers.

Davinci Resolve looks very good with their interface and a lot of people rave about it. For me, it's a no go because I use laptops that do not have the high power GPU it demands.

Not too many of us are in the business of testing one software against the other. We tried something. Got thru the initial hurdles and learned. We became comfortable and developed a workflow around it. And that's about it.

You are right, I agree with you.

I have started seeing some video tutorial of few of the software and by that only, I am getting an idea regarding interface, feature, for example, Nuke and fusion are not relevant for my need so out from the list.

I am seeing other also and sorting my list so surely I will cone on conclusion within few days.

But I am not understanding one thing in video editing software while creating new project to edit a video if we are selecting Full HD and then import a video in that project which is HD then how it will be upscaled to Full HD while we import and the same way while we are exporting edited video which is in HD and at the time of export we choose an option Full HD then how this all is happening. Do the software is using interpolation to generate these extra pixels to make it Full HD. In HitFilm 3 Express I saw this at here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CyZt6ktpizA

Re: Which is best top Video Editing Software ?

Andrew S10 wrote:

MackMack wrote:

You can add Edius and PowerDirector to the list.

It is a complete scam. FCPX only works on mac OS.

If you know it's possible with After Effects, you should look at equivalent software like Fusion or Nuke. I'm not optimistic about you having a good experience interpolating 8K footage on a low powered computer.

To convert the sequence of RAW photos into a video by using QuickLeaps technique explained :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yh9QNODKAOs

and

https://petapixel.com/2015/03/10/quicklapse-capturing-8k-video-with-a-nikon-d800-using-burst-mode-and-interpolation/

In the video, it is shown that using After Effects 'interpolation' option you can achieve to convert a sequence of RAW Photos to 8K video.

what will be my purpose : Capturing Videos and then increasing it's quality by 'Noise reduction', color grading + color correction, changing sharpness, contrast, shadows, Lenses distortion correction, creating new frames in-between original frames using interpolation technique to increase FPS (this is when I have RAW photos shot in burst mode) to create a video from RAW photos (example 4K or 8 K)

this doesn't include VFX or SFX, my online need is shooting a video and then upgrading its quality by above parameters. or Shooting RAW Photos and then from that making new frame to get enough frame to run them as video.

Re: FWIW, ACDsee VideoStudio 3

Glen Barrington wrote:

I am in the process of reviewing ACDSee Video Studio 3 and sort of comparing it to Techsmith's Camtasia V9 (V10 out, But I own V9!). I think this is a fair comparison since ACDSee itself, compares it to Camtasia.

This article will be on both a readable blog, and a YouTube video. I intend to produce the video Review with ACDSee Video Studio 3.

Video Studio 2 impressions

A major improvement over Visual Studio 1, which was buggy and quirky. It is a very good basic Video editor. Easy to use, and not overburdened with features to cause confusion. Ideal for casual use, and people who want to make basic slide shows of still photos in a video format. Not sure you can still find it since V3 is out. If you do, don't pay full price.

Video Studio 3 impressions

A preliminary assessment.

New features:

1. Can Create a layered hierarchy of Audio, video, and image tracks
  2. Better support for still images (You could use photos in VS2, but this has a thumbnail browser, this makes things MUCH easier to deal with!)
  3. Add filters to images & Videos
  4. Tracks independent of media type
  5. Preview in a dynamic & resizable area.
  6. 4K support (I don't have 4k, so I can't test)

Full price is LESS than Camtasia upgrade.

It uses essentially the same user interface as V2 and V1, so it is still easy to understand. Yet the added features don't add significant complexity or obtuseness to the UI.

People it would be useful to:

1. YouTube producers with limited need for special effects. (most people, I think). This is a major upgrade to VS3, VS2 really wasn't quite 'there' yet.
    1. the basic effects both audio and visual are there, but no royalty free audio or video files available. You have to find them yourself on the internet. BUT it does cost MUCH less!
    2. You can incorporate almost anything you find, on the Web, it's open that way.
    3. The overall style of YouTube production doesn't really rely on excessive production values. The effects available are going to be adequate for most people, I think.
  2. Slide Show producers who want to display slide show across Operating system platforms and who want more than standard slideshow transitions.
  3. Hobbyists.

It is NOT an editor for professional videographers, but it should find a home with many people who want to step up their game a bit without spending a lot of money. I like it very much.

Thanks Glen, for your valuable answer, at least I got an idea about ACDSee Video Studio 3.

-- hide signature --

+---

Added more lines :

I am seeing other also and sorting my list so surely I will come on a conclusion within few days.

DMKAlex
DMKAlex Veteran Member • Posts: 5,133
Re:

MackMack wrote:

DMKAlex wrote:

I am seeing other also and sorting my list so surely I will cone on conclusion within few days.

You think too much. The software takes care of it and all you need to see is if the output look good for your need.

But the short answer is, why would you shoot anything in HD if you want to have FHD output. People are talking about "future proof" by shooting 4K or 6K. The only reason I would shoot 1080p today is because I needed slow mo effect. I don't have any camera that can do 4K in 120 fps.

DMKAlex's gear list:DMKAlex's gear list
Nikon D800 Nikon AF Nikkor 20mm f/2.8D Nikon AF-S Nikkor 80-400mm f/4.5-5.6G ED VR Sigma 150-600mm F5-6.3 DG OS HSM | S Panasonic Lumix G Vario 45-150mm F4-5.6 ASPH Mega OIS +3 more
eFilm Senior Member • Posts: 1,741

MackMack wrote:

Sorry I forget to mention, what will be my purpose : Capturing Videos and then increasing it's quality by 'Noise reduction', color grading + color correction, changing sharpness, contrast, shadows, Lenses distortion correction, creating new frames in-between original frames using interpolation technique to increase FPS (this is when I have RAW photos shot in burst mode) to create a video from RAW photos (example 4K or 8 K)

That's not what I was referring to by purpose and goals, that's merely a list of features, but nevermind, doesn't matter now. I think I sort of get a picture.

From those three options you mentioned, I'd recommend giving the HitFilm Express a try. The free version is a modular one, meaning you can upgrade it module by module, if/when you need more, and ignore all the modules you don't need. There are also other plugins for it, both free and paid. For example, some Red Giant suites and even Mocha plugins are compatible. There's also a HitFilm Pro Version.
HitFilm looks and behaves like a 'proper' NLE, and it's fairly easy to use, with robust enough features to serve you even after the beginner phase. There are also quite a lot of video tutorials, sample videos and an online forum, all of which are likely to make the entry and learning phase easier.

I don't think Resolve would be a particularly good fit in your case, even though it may seem easy enough to approach. Again, horses for courses.

But I am not understanding one thing in video editing software while creating new project to edit a video if we are selecting Full HD and then import a video in that project which is HD

If by HD you're referring to 720p clips on a 1080 timeline, I wouldn't recommend that, unless it's absolutely necessary. How exactly does each NLE upscale lower resolution clips, that I don't know. Sometimes it may look passable, but depending on the format/codec and compression level of the clips, which I assume is considerable in this case, the end result may not be worth it. At least it won't look good.

then how it will be upscaled to Full HD while we import and the same way while we are exporting edited video which is in HD and at the time of export we choose an option Full HD then how this all is happening.

Your question is not entirely clear, but by 'short' answer to that would be it doesn't matter, as you shouldn't even be doing such a thing in the first place.

Choose your projects based on the resolution of the source files, then edit and publish it in that same resolution. If you have multiple resolutions, use the lowest common nominator for the timeline and end result, so that you downscale the source files rather than upscale them, if/when necessary. If/when you're uploading stuff to social media sites like FB, HD will most likely still work just fine. Until quite recently, all FB videos were 720 or smaller.

Do the software is using interpolation to generate these extra pixels to make it Full HD. In HitFilm 3 Express I saw this at here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CyZt6ktpizA

I didn't watch the video, and I have no comment on the interpolation issues, (although I don't think extra pixels are being generated), but as far as HitFilm is concerned in general, I'd recommend watching their own video tutorials and reading their own FAQs & forums.

CanonUserG40

You talk about improving a video with noise reduction and colour correction etc. In many cases if you are not using video in either ProRes or DNxHD  or output from a Red or Arri Alexa, you will find that footage in MP4 or h264 will start to fall apart pretty quickly. The more you want to tweak, the more resolution you need in the first place. If you want to work with 8k you will need some serious hardware and a proper grading monitor. You would also need the paid Studio version of Resolve as the free one will only go up to UHD and does not include tools like noise reduction.

As to up-scaling, I go from  35Mbps 1920x1080 50p to 60Mbps 3840x2160 50p in Resolve. The advantage being that when uploaded to YouTube less compression is used and the likely artifacts tend to not be present.

Brisn5757 Veteran Member • Posts: 4,319
Re: Which is best top Video Editing Software

Generally the best are usually the most expensive.

Take a look at this site

http://www.toptenreviews.com/software/multimedia/best-video-editing-software/

Brian

Brisn5757's gear list:Brisn5757's gear list
Olympus SP-570 UZ Sony Cyber-shot DSC-WX70 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-HX200V Sony RX100 IV Canon EOS 300D +8 more
Re:

DMKAlex wrote:

MackMack wrote:

DMKAlex wrote:

You think too much. The software takes care of it and all you need to see is if the output look good for your need.

But the short answer is, why would you shoot anything in HD if you want to have FHD output. People are talking about "future proof" by shooting 4K or 6K. The only reason I would shoot 1080p today is because I needed slow mo effect. I don't have any camera that can do 4K in 120 fps.

I just use an example for my question "HD and FHD" to explain my question. I was asking that how a video editing software at the time of Import or Export provide higher resolution option, for example, I shoot a video in Full HD then while Import or Export these software allows us to choose a higher resolution option (example 4K) than the native one, So my question was "do these software use interpolation internally while Import or Export" as they are allowing a user to choose higher resolution than the native resolution of original video ? for example HitFilm 3 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CyZt6ktpizA

CanonUserG40
Re:

Don't confuse up-scaling with an increase in resolution. For example, going from HD to UHD gives you 4X the pixel count, but it merely means that each pixel from HD is now represented by 4. It does not increase the resolution quality of the original. Conversely, if you render a UHD video to HD you will get an improvement in perceived quality as four pixels are interpolated into one.

Upper is original footage, lower is graded and up-scaled.

Glen Barrington
Glen Barrington Forum Pro • Posts: 20,534
Thank you for that!

This clears up some confusion for me!

Glen Barrington's gear list:Glen Barrington's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M10 Olympus OM-D E-M10 II Olympus E-M5 III Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm 1:4.0-5.6 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH +13 more
Re:

CanonUserG40 wrote:

Don't confuse up-scaling with an increase in resolution. For example, going from HD to UHD gives you 4X the pixel count, but it merely means that each pixel from HD is now represented by 4. It does not increase the resolution quality of the original. Conversely, if you render a UHD video to HD you will get an improvement in perceived quality as four pixels are interpolated into one.

Upper is original footage, lower is graded and up-scaled.

Ha ha ha, That thought didn't come to my mind. 😆

but I was thinking what is the benefit of exporting in high resolution because even if we will play an HD video on a UHD display/TV (assuming the display don't do interpolation for upscaling) then anyway it will be using 4 pixels to represent one pixel of HD. So what it the benefit?.

And rather it is a disadvantage. Suppose if our TV have capability of upscaling HD to UHD by using interpolation and if we already exported that video from HD to UHD where quality is not increased as 4 pixels are representing one pixel so our TV will not do interpolation to upscaling as it is getting UHD level 'number pixels' and that cause low quality (Blurry) final output on UHD TV/Display.

"but an exception to this is IN case if both display size (HD, UHD) is the same example 15 inch then there will be no quality difference but if the one which is UHD is bigger display example 24 inch then the blurry effect will occur on the UHD one."

Anyways I understood that 'export option' doesn't increase quality by adding new information to new pixels using interpolation but rather represent the same information to new extra pixels. For example HD to UHD --> HD 1 pixel in 4 of UHD.

Thanks for your valuable answer

CanonUserG40
Re:

One of the main benefits of up-scaling is counteracting the re-compression that YouTube applies to uploaded videos. Upload a high bit-rate UHD video and the re-compression used is much less so in picture artifacts such as blocking tend not to appear.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads