* This month with your Nikon 1 - July 2018 *

Started Jul 2, 2018 | Discussions
holgerlinke Regular Member • Posts: 432
* This month with your Nikon 1 - July 2018 *

Welcome to another monthly thread! Feel free to share your work either here or through individual threads on the forum, whatever you are more comfortable with.

The rules are simple:

• Add your contribution by responding to this first message in this topic.
  • Change the subject of your message, then embed your image into the reply with whatever you’d like to say about it.
  • If you want criticism/critique (C&C) or technique feedback, say so. It’s generally assumed that you want general feedback, but direct requests make it clearer.

The title of the thread shouldn't discourage you from posting older pictures. Feel free to post anything that you found again in your archives or that you are currently working on.

Link to previous threads:

2018: June - May - April - March - Feb - Jan

2017: Dec - Nov - Oct - Sep - Aug - July - June - May- April - March - Feb

Cheers,
Holger

holgerlinke's gear list:holgerlinke's gear list
Fujifilm X100F Nikon 1 V3 Nikon 1 J5 Sony a7R II Nikon Z7 +19 more
bazzk New Member • Posts: 17
Re: * This month with your Nikon 1 - July 2018 *

Some picts from  my last week trip to Komodo Island and Nusa Penida. All taken with Nikon J5 with kit lens in raw mode, converted via Lightroom. Critiques are welcome

bazzk's gear list:bazzk's gear list
Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm F1.8G Nikon Coolpix A Ricoh GR Fujifilm X70 Nikon D600 +10 more
Stefan BW Senior Member • Posts: 1,462
Too hot...

... to post a July photo

Stefan BW's gear list:Stefan BW's gear list
Nikon 1 V2 Nikon 1 Nikkor VR 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6
Crashton
Crashton Senior Member • Posts: 1,960
Re: Too hot...

Thanks for the refreshing picture. 

Crashton's gear list:Crashton's gear list
Fujifilm X-M1 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 27mm F2.8 Fujifilm XF 18-135mm F3.5-5.6 R LM OIS WR +3 more
greggyh Regular Member • Posts: 157
Nokhu Crags from Thunder Pass

One of my favorite photo locations at the turnaround of an 11 mile trail run.  The J5 / 11-27.5 is as much as I'm willing to carry.

greggyh's gear list:greggyh's gear list
Nikon Coolpix P7000 Nikon Coolpix P330 Nikon 1 V3 Nikon D7200 Nikon 1 J5 +10 more
Stefan BW Senior Member • Posts: 1,462
Just a swift shot

Common swift

... out of my window. Thirty of them are often racing around the block.

Stefan BW's gear list:Stefan BW's gear list
Nikon 1 V2 Nikon 1 Nikkor VR 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6
SiFu
SiFu Veteran Member • Posts: 6,245
Scale Valley

Hello!

... well, almost, scales of a moth that visited our house today:

Three handheld frames combined in post; full frame, no cropping.

Best,

Alex

-- hide signature --

carpe diem, quam minimum credula postero

Wu Jiaqiu
Wu Jiaqiu Forum Pro • Posts: 27,176
quick shot from today

Wu Jiaqiu's gear list:Wu Jiaqiu's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix X100 Nikon D2Xs Nikon 1 V1 Nikon 1 J3 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 300mm f/4D ED-IF +3 more
Sangster Contributing Member • Posts: 989

boys at a popular tourist spot

Romeo & Juliet

birds of different feathers

888 pandas

-- hide signature --

"No matter how elegant the subject, an image requires something more than a literal recording of that scene. It needs a moment a gesture or light or color to add that third dimension and make it memorable." - Annie Griffiths

Sangster's gear list:Sangster's gear list
Nikon 1 V1 Nikon 1 Nikkor VR 30-110mm f/3.8-5.6 Nikon 1 Nikkor 10mm f/2.8 Nikon 1 Nikkor 18.5mm f/1.8 +1 more
OP holgerlinke Regular Member • Posts: 432

Sangster wrote:

birds of different feathers

This is a great capture, very cool!!!

Thanks holgerlinke, it could have been better. three planes flew by while it was perched there but my failing 30-110 was experiencing problems with focusing and exposure. I think the aperture is starting to stick. There is also some spots in the frame you may have noticed. I am not sure from what. I boxed it up this week and sent it back to Nikon. Hoping to get it back before the summer is over.

-- hide signature --

"No matter how elegant the subject, an image requires something more than a literal recording of that scene. It needs a moment a gesture or light or color to add that third dimension and make it memorable." - Annie Griffiths

Nikon 1 V1 Nikon 1 Nikkor VR 30-110mm f/3.8-5.6 Nikon 1 Nikkor 10mm f/2.8 Nikon 1 Nikkor 18.5mm f/1.8 +1 more

Sangster wrote:

Thanks holgerlinke, it could have been better. three planes flew by while it was perched there but my failing 30-110 was experiencing problems with focusing and exposure. I think the aperture is starting to stick. There is also some spots in the frame you may have noticed. I am not sure from what. I boxed it up this week and sent it back to Nikon. Hoping to get it back before the summer is over.

I think that it was a good decision by your lens to wait for a jet that matches the bird's colours, with the yellow and grey

The spots look like dirt on the sensor... something I have never seen on N1 before. I'm using a V3 and a J5 in parallel to a Sony A7RII - the Sony is messed up like this every few days, whereas the N1's never needed any cleaning ever for me.

Good luck with your lens repair, wishing you that it comes back healthy soon!

Cheers, Holger.

holgerlinke wrote:

Sangster wrote:

I think that it was a good decision by your lens to wait for a jet that matches the bird's colours, with the yellow and grey

It was purely by luck. My preference would have been the red/white jet with yellow highlight like the heron's beak. Its feathers on its head was blowing backwards in the wind like you sometimes see with Donald Trump.

the one that got away

The spots look like dirt on the sensor... something I have never seen on N1 before. I'm using a V3 and a J5 in parallel to a Sony A7RII - the Sony is messed up like this every few days, whereas the N1's never needed any cleaning ever for me.

Testing against a white wall with 18.5 and 10-30 PD showed that the spots were indeed from the 30-110 lens. How do you like the Sony?

Cheers, Holger.

-- hide signature --

rrybicki
rrybicki Junior Member • Posts: 30
Some bugs and a bird

Hi All,

First post to these forums, but I have been lurking for a while.  Thanks for all the good advices.  Thrilled with the V1 system, especially for birding.

Here's three shots I took today at the Botanical Gardens here in Guangzhou.  None of them are art, just some shots of various critters from a warm and sunny day in the park with a very nice little camera. It was a good day.

All shot with V2/70-300CX.

Of course, Now that the N1 is obsolete, none of this counts 

Cheers,

Russ

a bug

a nother bug

a bird (Japanese tit)

-- hide signature --

Lower your expectations.

rrybicki's gear list:rrybicki's gear list
Nikon 1 J1 Nikon D5500 Nikon D500 Nikon 1 Nikkor VR 10-30mm f/3.5-5.6 Sigma 17-70mm F2.8-4 DC Macro OS HSM | C +4 more

Sangster wrote:

holgerlinke wrote:

Sangster wrote:

It was purely by luck. My preference would have been the red/white jet with yellow highlight like the heron's beak. Its feathers on its head was blowing backwards in the wind like you sometimes see with Donald Trump.

the one that got away

Testing against a white wall with 18.5 and 10-30 PD showed that the spots were indeed from the 30-110 lens. How do you like the Sony?

Cheers, Holger.

I like the Donald bird... and those spots look really bad - makes the lens almost unusable.

Regarding the Sony, I'm quite happy with it. I originally got it for my manual-focus Nikon lenses and use it in a complementary way with the N1s, e.g. the 50/1.2 on the Sony for narrow DOF and low light and the 10-100 on the J5 for versatility; or 35mm on Sony with 70-300 on V3 for landscape and wildlife. I'll test the J5/70-300 directly against the Sony/70-200/4 (Nikon) on the upcoming lunar eclipse.

harry Veteran Member • Posts: 3,406

-- hide signature --

HLL7575

harry's gear list:harry's gear list
Nikon Coolpix AW110 Casio Exilim EX-ZR800 Nikon Coolpix A1000 Nikon D50 Nikon 1 V1 +12 more
cosmicnode Veteran Member • Posts: 5,940
Cleveland hill's

The cleveland hills entrance to the North Yorkshire national park and home of the eastern dales

-- hide signature --

Mike.
"I say we take off and nuke the entire site from orbit, it's the only way to be sure."

cosmicnode's gear list:cosmicnode's gear list
Nikon D1 Nikon D1X Nikon D1H Nikon D2H Nikon D2X +16 more
virtualkyr
virtualkyr Contributing Member • Posts: 863
FL State Park Deer Shot, J5 w/ CX 70-300

I took this as I was driving through St Andrews near Panama City Beach and I spotted them about 100' away. I stopped my car and got my camera out of my bag in the trunk. Got back in and idled up to where they were and kept on idling past (kind of busy road in the park so I didn't want to just keep stopping in the middle of the road)

This guy is probably about 20' away from me.

Nikon 1 J5
CX 70-300 @ 240mm
F5.6
1/80
ISO 400

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Also note, this photo is in the 2018 FL State Parks Photo Contest, and I would be greatly appreciative if you enjoy this image if you would go here and register a view on the official contest page.

http://www.flstateparksphotos.com/entry/33175002-Here%27s-Lookin%27-at-You%21?offset=8&sort=hits%20DESC,%20id%20ASC&channel=29304

Thanks!

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

-- hide signature --

Just a guy with a camera, learning as I go.
DSLRs - D750, D7200, D90
Compacts - Coolpix A, Nikon V1, Nikon J5
Video - Sony NX5, CX900, X70, Canon XA20, HV40, Vixia Mini

virtualkyr's gear list:virtualkyr's gear list
Nikon D90 Nikon 1 V1 Nikon D750 Nikon D7200 Nikon 1 J5 +22 more
Ross
Ross Veteran Member • Posts: 5,070
Just HOT with my Nikon 1 - July 2018 *

It was 106.4°F in the shade at my house and a friend came by, braving the cat, to cool her parts....

Just too hot here in San Antonio!

-- hide signature --

Bob

Ross's gear list:Ross's gear list
Leica M8 Olympus E-1 Olympus E-5 Nikon 1 V2 Olympus E-M5 II +1 more
rrybicki
rrybicki Junior Member • Posts: 30
Butterflies are hard!

Hi All,

July is almost over so I am going to pig this thread with a second post. Here is a photo of a couple cooperative butterflies I chased around this morning at the south China Botanical Gardens in Guangzhou.

I am kind of new at this. So today's lesson is that butterflies in flight are extremely difficult!! This is the best I was able to do.

V2 + CX 70-300.

Cheers,

Russ

-- hide signature --

Lower your expectations.

rrybicki's gear list:rrybicki's gear list
Nikon 1 J1 Nikon D5500 Nikon D500 Nikon 1 Nikkor VR 10-30mm f/3.5-5.6 Sigma 17-70mm F2.8-4 DC Macro OS HSM | C +4 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads