FZ82 - Comparing Jpegs converted from Raw and Jpegs (Fine)

Started Jun 29, 2018 | Discussions
Avian2016 Veteran Member • Posts: 6,641
FZ82 - Comparing Jpegs converted from Raw and Jpegs (Fine)

Did a little test comparing Jpegs converted from Raw and standard (Fine) Jpegs made by my FZ82. The weather was overcast, more cloudy than sunny but nevertheless. Hence ISO 800. Recorded handheld at almost full optical zoom.

Curling tendril - Jpeg Fine PPed by Lr

Curling tendril - Jpeg Converted from Raw and PPed by Lr

Have a nice weekend.

Panasonic FZ80/FZ82
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Rodger1943
Rodger1943 Forum Pro • Posts: 16,866
Re: FZ82 - Comparing Jpegs converted from Raw and Jpegs (Fine)

Except for the fact that the converted image is slightly larger than the jpeg, I can't see any difference in quality.

-- hide signature --

Panasonic FZ1000 FZ200

Rodger1943's gear list:Rodger1943's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ200 Panasonic FZ1000 Sony RX10 IV +2 more
BillJolly Forum Member • Posts: 67

Good idea Avian, but it looks like you have the images reversed.  The second image has that ugly pattern in the background that is usually caused by in-camera sharpening.  I have not seen it caused by post-processing.  If you are going to use jpegs from the camera, like others on this forum I suggest you turn the in-camera sharpening down to -5.  ( Also keep the in-camera noise reduction off. )  Try the comparison again as I've suggested.  You can make good jpegs ooc, but you can also get more out of raws.  I like my FZ80 in spite of its limitations.

OP Avian2016 Veteran Member • Posts: 6,641

Still testing the cam. Looks like the in-camera sharpening is even more aggressive than I thought. So we shall put both NR and sharpening to the max minus.

Isola Verde
Isola Verde Forum Pro • Posts: 10,224

Avian2016 wrote:

Still testing the cam. Looks like the in-camera sharpening is even more aggressive than I thought. So we shall put both NR and sharpening to the max minus.

I may be doing something wrong, only - when I downloaded them - one of those two pictures reported a pixel count of 4896 * 3264, while the other was only 1920 * 1440...

And I suspect that the smaller one may actually be the embedded thumbnail from out of a RAW file, rather than the camera's JPG as that's otherwise a fairly odd coincidence of sizes?

But not only that, the small image's file measures less than 1MB - whilst the other is almost 6MB...

If these aren't the files you had intended to post, perhaps it would better to start afresh in a new thread, and ask the Forum moderator to lock this one!

Peter

Isola Verde's gear list:Isola Verde's gear list
Olympus PEN E-P7

The explanation lies in the fact that I processed that RAW pic via online converter https://www.iloveimg.com/convert-to-jpg/raw-to-jpg. As we can see this wasn't the right choice.

Namely, I first tried to convert my Pana Raw via Adobe DNG 10.4. and the program did not recognized it. So I provisionally tried one of the online options.

Maybe I shall try the in-camera processing.

Isola Verde

Avian2016 wrote:

The explanation lies in the fact that I processed that RAW pic via online converter https://www.iloveimg.com/convert-to-jpg/raw-to-jpg. As we can see this wasn't the right choice.

Namely, I first tried to convert my Pana Raw via Adobe DNG 10.4. and the program did not recognized it. So I provisionally tried one of the online options.

Maybe I shall try the in-camera processing.

Was the Silkypix converter not included with your camera?

Not the friendliest software available, but perhaps better if presenting a true comparison!

Peter

Olympus PEN E-P7

Nope. It was kinda "open box" purchase. And thus even cheaper.

Isola Verde

Avian2016 wrote:

Luckily, it's a download, rather than being supplied on disk etc!

Perhaps someone can confirm it but I think that this is the correct link for a version that will support your camera...

https://www.isl.co.jp/SILKYPIX/english/p/

Some love it, others don't - but the price is good!

Peter

Olympus PEN E-P7

Isola Verde wrote:

Avian2016 wrote:

Luckily, it's a download, rather than being supplied on disk etc!

SILKYPIX was supplied on disk for some countries.

Perhaps someone can confirm it but I think that this is the correct link for a version that will support your camera...

https://www.isl.co.jp/SILKYPIX/english/p/

Some love it, others don't - but the price is good!

Thank you for your help. Will try to get it or find something else suitable.

In essence I am a Jpeg shooter, from my ex-Fuji HS50EXR on and also with my present main cam FZ1000.

Here is one of my FZ1000 Jpeg outputs:

Common wall lizard (Podarcis muralis)

Peter

Retry: FZ82 - Comparing Jpegs converted from Raw and Jpegs (Fine)

Hello,

Well, I did some playing this afternoon this time with RawTherapee 5.4. Now Jpeg from Raw is much bigger and also different. I didn't play too much with the enhancements in RawTherapee, just put it thru to see the difference. So here is my retried comparison:

Jpeg slightly enhanced via Lr

Jpeg from Raw via RawTherapee and Lr

Thanks again to Isola Verde.

Jon_T
Jon_T Veteran Member • Posts: 5,827

Avian2016 wrote:

... Namely, I first tried to convert my Pana Raw via Adobe DNG 10.4. and the program did not recognized it. So I provisionally tried one of the online options. ...

Interesting. With Windows 10 64-Bit PC, used Adobe DNG Converter v. 9.9.0.718 to convert FX82/ FX80 .RW2 files to .dng files with compatibility Camera Raw 7.1 and later to PP with PSE 14. (prior to my updating to DxO PhotoLab that supports the FZ82/ FZ80)

.... Well, I did some playing this afternoon this time with RawTherapee 5.4. Now Jpeg from Raw is much bigger and also different. I didn't play too much with the enhancements in RawTherapee, just put it thru to see the difference. So here is my retried comparison:

Jpeg slightly enhanced via Lr

Jpeg from Raw via RawTherapee and Lr

IMHO not really a good image to do a JPG vs. RAW comparison.

Have not had the time to do much shooting with my FZ80 (as yourself got a good deal on a Open Box FZ80 from B&H), below are a couple JPG/ RAW images I downloaded from PhotographyBlog and Imaging Resource that I PP the sample .RW2 to see if I wanted to buy the FZ80:

PhotographyBlog JPG & PP RW2 image

PhotographyBlog JPG

PhotographyBlog .RW2 image converted to .DNG & PP with PSE14

Imaging Resource JPG & .RW2

Imaging Resource JPG

Imaging Resource .RW2 PP with DxO PhotoLab

... Maybe I shall try the in-camera processing.

Would hope the in-camera .RW2 PP would do a better job at removing the color noise than the result "RawTherapee and Lr".

FWIW I PP your "Jpeg slightly enhanced via Lr" to reduce Luminance noise (PSE 2018 & Neat Image Plugin); highlights too overexposed to recover any color/ details.

Cheers,
Jon

Jon_T's gear list:Jon_T's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ200 Canon PowerShot G15 Canon PowerShot SX50 HS Canon PowerShot S110 Leica C +15 more

Thank you for taking your time to comment on my images. Much obliged.

Rodger1943
Rodger1943 Forum Pro • Posts: 16,866

That's a great looking image of the lizard Sreco. The FZ1000 delivers the goods.

-- hide signature --

Panasonic FZ1000 FZ200

Rodger1943's gear list:Rodger1943's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ200 Panasonic FZ1000 Sony RX10 IV +2 more

Thank you Rodger. FZ1000 is a classic.

Jon_T
Jon_T Veteran Member • Posts: 5,827

Avian2016 wrote:

Thank you for taking your time to comment on my images. Much obliged.

You're welcome.

In regards to your "... I first tried to convert my Pana Raw via Adobe DNG 10.4. and the program did not recognized it. ...", wondering if you're using an older version of LR?

The message could be that when you converted the FZ80 RAW to the .DNG was converted to a newer version of a Camera Raw/ DNG file not supported by your LR version.

In the Adobe DNG settings you can use the Adobe DNG settings to covert a camera's RAW image to be converted to older version of a Camera Raw/ DNG file supported by your LR, PS, PSE, etc.

Done this for years whenever I had bought a newer camera that it's RAW file was not supported by the PSE version I had at the time.

FYI:
"Camera Raw-compatible Adobe applications" HERE to see the Camera RAW version support by the Adobe app your using.
"Cameras supported by Camera Raw" HERE to see the version of Camera RAW/ LR needed for a camera.

Cheers,
Jon

Jon_T's gear list:Jon_T's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ200 Canon PowerShot G15 Canon PowerShot SX50 HS Canon PowerShot S110 Leica C +15 more

Your guess was right as I'm using the Lr 3.6.

Thanks again for links you provided.

Cheers!

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads