DA 11-16 delayed until 2019

Started Jun 29, 2018 | Discussions
tassosDA Regular Member • Posts: 366
DA 11-16 delayed until 2019

According to Ricoh they won't release the lens this summer as planned. Pity,it would be nice to have two new lenses released simultaneously by Pentax.  It has been ages since the last time we had such an event. ..

tassosDA's gear list:tassosDA's gear list
Pentax K10D Pentax K-5 II Pentax smc DA 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 AL Sigma 50mm F1.4 EX DG HSM Sigma 70-200mm F2.8 EX DG Macro HSM II +4 more
The Squirrel Mafia
The Squirrel Mafia Regular Member • Posts: 486
Re: DA 11-16 delayed until 2019

They probably ran into some design/engineering issues. Chances are that it might end up being released simultaneously with the K-3II replacement .

The Squirrel Mafia's gear list:The Squirrel Mafia's gear list
Pentax K-50 Sigma 10-20mm F4-5.6 EX DC HSM Pentax smc DA 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 AL WR Pentax smc DA 50-200mm F4-5.6 ED WR Pentax smc DA 35mm F2.4 AL +1 more
Smitty1 Senior Member • Posts: 1,927

The Squirrel Mafia wrote:

They probably ran into some design/engineering issues. Chances are that it might end up being released simultaneously with the K-3II replacement .

Maybe.   Maybe they have very limited resources to launch multiple lenses.   Maybe they just held it back to indeed release it simultaneously with the K-3II replacement.

We don't know.

But at least we have a rough date that seems honest...  it isn't like they are just saying 'Soon(tm)'

That said, Pentax looks like an interesting brand on the horizon..  I'm not sure, if I was looking for a camera system, I'd buy Pentax today.  in 2019 or 2020 though it could be really interesting.. imo.

James O'Neill Veteran Member • Posts: 4,788

tassosDA wrote:

According to Ricoh they won't release the lens this summer as planned. Pity,it would be nice to have two new lenses released simultaneously by Pentax. It has been ages since the last time we had such an event. ..

Do you have a source ?

No doubt someone is saddling up his horse to ride up to Ricoh's defence and say they never promised it would ship this summer , and that is alright, good even, that the lens is delayed. Any suggestion that this might indicate a terminal lack of investment in Pentax would enrage him.

James O'Neill's gear list:James O'Neill's gear list
Pentax K-5 IIs Pentax K-1 Pentax smc FA 50mm F1.4 Pentax smc DA 18-250mm F3.5-6.3 Pentax smc FA 43mm F1.9 Limited +2 more
Alex Sarbu Forum Pro • Posts: 10,296

James O'Neill wrote:

tassosDA wrote:

According to Ricoh they won't release the lens this summer as planned. Pity,it would be nice to have two new lenses released simultaneously by Pentax. It has been ages since the last time we had such an event. ..

Do you have a source ?

Yes, Ricoh Imaging.

http://news.ricoh-imaging.co.jp/rim_info2/2018/20180629_025706.html?_ga=2.56877866.1461232963.1530256302-584303880.1417457275

No doubt someone is saddling up his horse to ride up to Ricoh's defence and say they never promised it would ship this summer , and that is alright, good even, that the lens is delayed.

Lol. Are you accusing this fine community of being dishonest, based on something that would only happen in your imagination?

Any suggestion that this might indicate a terminal lack of investment in Pentax would enrage him.

I will call that FUD, seeing how the D FA* 50mm f/1.4 was just announced.

Alex

Alex Sarbu's gear list:Alex Sarbu's gear list
Ricoh GR III Pentax K-5 IIs Pentax K-1 II Pentax smc DA 21mm F3.2 AL Limited Pentax smc DA 70mm F2.4 AL Limited +8 more
zakaria
zakaria Veteran Member • Posts: 4,798

tassosDA wrote:

If they're not ready for making this lens why they're bothering us.

This lens is more important than the 50mm.

-- hide signature --

pentaxian .

zakaria's gear list:zakaria's gear list
Nikon D750 Fujifilm X-H1 Pentax K-1 II Pentax smc FA 31mm F1.8 AL Limited HD Pentax DA 21mm F3.2 AL Limited +7 more

zakaria wrote:

Says who?

Alex

Ricoh GR III Pentax K-5 IIs Pentax K-1 II Pentax smc DA 21mm F3.2 AL Limited Pentax smc DA 70mm F2.4 AL Limited +8 more

Alex Sarbu wrote:

James O'Neill wrote:

tassosDA wrote:

Do you have a source ?

Yes, Ricoh Imaging.

http://news.ricoh-imaging.co.jp/rim_info2/2018/20180629_025706.html?_ga=2.56877866.1461232963.1530256302-584303880.1417457275

No doubt someone is saddling up his horse to ride up to Ricoh's defence and say they never promised it would ship this summer , and that is alright, good even, that the lens is delayed.

Lol. Are you accusing this fine community of being dishonest, based on something that would only happen in your imagination?

Any suggestion that this might indicate a terminal lack of investment in Pentax would enrage him.

Alex

Lol. The 50 has been announced more than 2 years since the last lens announcement. Over that time they have released the KP and the update to the K1. It might be another year before we see the next new lens. I've given up hope of seeing the new 85 ever ship.

Away from the K mount the 645Z is more than 4 years old and showing its age.

You use the word FUD (incorrectly but we'll let that pass) in response to anyone who says there could be a long term problem with Ricoh not putting enough into Pentax .

Pentax K-5 IIs Pentax K-1 Pentax smc FA 50mm F1.4 Pentax smc DA 18-250mm F3.5-6.3 Pentax smc FA 43mm F1.9 Limited +2 more

James O'Neill wrote:

Alex Sarbu wrote:

James O'Neill wrote:

tassosDA wrote:

Do you have a source ?

Yes, Ricoh Imaging.

Alex

Lol. The 50 has been announced more than 2 years since the last lens announcement. Over that time they have released the KP and the update to the K1. It might be another year before we see the next new lens. I've given up hope of seeing the new 85 ever ship.

And some people publicly gave up hope of seeing the D FA* 50mm.

You use the word FUD (incorrectly but we'll let that pass) in response to anyone who says there could be a long term problem with Ricoh not putting enough into Pentax .

No, I'm not. 'Terminal' sounds more serious than "a long term problem".

Alex

Gary Martin
Gary Martin Veteran Member • Posts: 4,542

zakaria wrote:

tassosDA wrote:

If they're not ready for making this lens why they're bothering us.

My K-1 disagrees.

-- hide signature --

www.gwmartinimages.com

Gary Martin's gear list:Gary Martin's gear list
Ricoh GR III Olympus PEN-F Pentax K-1 Pentax KP Pentax smc DA 15mm F4 ED AL Limited +10 more
zakaria
zakaria Veteran Member • Posts: 4,798

Alex Sarbu wrote:

zakaria wrote:

Says who?

Alex

I think I am the one who said that LOL

Pentax has many 50mm alternatives but hasn't good wide angle lenses.

-- hide signature --

pentaxian .

zakaria's gear list:zakaria's gear list
Nikon D750 Fujifilm X-H1 Pentax K-1 II Pentax smc FA 31mm F1.8 AL Limited HD Pentax DA 21mm F3.2 AL Limited +7 more
Oiche Senior Member • Posts: 1,642
Not the Pentax of yesteryear!

James O'Neill wrote:

Alex Sarbu wrote:

James O'Neill wrote:

tassosDA wrote:

Do you have a source ?

Yes, Ricoh Imaging.

Alex

I've spouted about this before, when Pentax were Asahi Pentax/Pentax they made everything, the best spotfinder, SMC filters, macro rails, refconverters, helicoid extension tubes, a whole series of viewfindes, 1 meter lenses, lots of lenses all available at one time and for the 35mm, 645 and 67 system. I was looking at the catalogues from the 70's and 80's last night, little collectors items they are.

They were a real camera company driven by passionate photography executive directors. Since the selling of the business to a generic umbrella company what do you expect? I think Canon anf Nikon are the same since their advent and not sold off.

Ricoh couldn't give a damn about Pentaxians so I wouldn't be expecting them to love me and I couldn't care less about Ricoh.

Oiche's gear list:Oiche's gear list
Pentax K-70 Pentax smc DA* 60-250mm F4.0 ED (IF) SDM Pentax smc DA 40mm F2.8 Limited Samyang 14mm F2.8 ED AS IF UMC HD Pentax DA 15mm F4 ED AL Limited +1 more
Oiche Senior Member • Posts: 1,642
Re: Not the Pentax of yesteryear!

Oiche wrote:

James O'Neill wrote:

Alex Sarbu wrote:

James O'Neill wrote:

tassosDA wrote:

Do you have a source ?

Yes, Ricoh Imaging.

Alex

I've spouted about this before, when Pentax were Asahi Pentax/Pentax they made everything, the best spotfinder, SMC filters, macro rails, refconverters, helicoid extension tubes, a whole series of viewfindes, 1 meter lenses, lots of lenses all available at one time and for the 35mm, 645 and 67 system. I was looking at the catalogues from the 70's and 80's last night, little collectors items they are.

They were a real camera company driven by passionate photography executive directors. Since the selling of the business to a generic umbrella company what do you expect? I think Canon anf Nikon are the same since their advent and not sold off.

Ricoh couldn't give a damn about Pentaxians so I wouldn't be expecting them to love me and I couldn't care less about Ricoh.

Saying all that they did replace my K30 out of warranty. I think they perhaps have more QC issues when they moved production out of Japan.

Oiche's gear list:Oiche's gear list
Pentax K-70 Pentax smc DA* 60-250mm F4.0 ED (IF) SDM Pentax smc DA 40mm F2.8 Limited Samyang 14mm F2.8 ED AS IF UMC HD Pentax DA 15mm F4 ED AL Limited +1 more
xmeda
xmeda Senior Member • Posts: 1,331

tassosDA wrote:

As expected.

3Q 2019 might happen.

Now let's bet when the 85/1.4 is coming..  1Q 2019?

-- hide signature --
 xmeda's gear list:xmeda's gear list
Casio QV-R40 Casio Exilim EX-Z110 Olympus XZ-1 Olympus Stylus 1s Pentax K20D +29 more

xmeda wrote:

tassosDA wrote:

As expected.

3Q 2019 might happen.

Now let's bet when the 85/1.4 is coming.. 1Q 2019?

The last new lens was the DA 55-300 in June 2016. Nothing shipped in 2017

At CP+ In February 17 the D-FA * 50 and D-FA * 85 were announced with a ship date of "2017 or later".

The Feb 18 road map said

D-FA * 50 - Spring 18 <moved to summer 18, expect this month, 25 months after the last lens>

DA * 11-18 Summer 18 <Moved to 2019>

D-FA 70-210 f/4 Spring 19

D-FA * 85 2019

4 others, as yet un-named 2019 or later (the same 4 were on the 2017 road map marked "2017 or later")

On the one hand the dates for the 70-210 and 85 are on the road map and Ricoh haven't said they are delayed so, for now their plan-of-record is they ship next year. On the other hand when you've shipped one lens in a 3 year period, shipping 3 in the same year seems a bit of a stretch.

Joseph Tainter Forum Pro • Posts: 10,995

Oiche wrote:

Saying all that they did replace my K30 out of warranty. I think they perhaps have more QC issues when they moved production out of Japan.

At least as far as lenses are concerned, there is no doubt about that. But much of that is a corporate decision: The money they save by lowering QC is greater than the money they lose through warranty repairs, returned gear, and disaffected customers.

Whether this is financially wise on the part of Pentax/Hoya/Ricoh, I cannot say. The beancounters are in control.

Joe

Ishpuini Veteran Member • Posts: 6,237
Indeed, they misplaced 2mm

Indeed, they misplaced 2mm at the long end and they are now looking for them... ;-D

Wim

-- hide signature --

Antwerp, Belgium, GMT+1

Ishpuini's gear list:Ishpuini's gear list
Ricoh Theta S Ricoh GR III Pentax Q Pentax Q-S1 Pentax K-3 II +21 more
Sir Autofocus Regular Member • Posts: 225

tassosDA wrote:

I'm sorry to hear that. I am interested in this lens but IMO more important for sales would be a fast focusing standard zoom which I hope would be what comes after the 11-16 for APS-C. My guess is that Pentax is losing lot of sales of camera systems bacause of slow autofocus.

Rob J Mitchell Forum Member • Posts: 88

Sir Autofocus wrote:

tassosDA wrote:

I'm sorry to hear that. I am interested in this lens but IMO more important for sales would be a fast focusing standard zoom which I hope would be what comes after the 11-16 for APS-C. My guess is that Pentax is losing lot of sales of camera systems bacause of slow autofocus.

Rumour is they are releasing a 16-50 and 50-135 with DC motors. There is a new patent for the 16-50 so it will have better optics. I’m guessing they will try and schedule it close to the APS-C flagship release, which is suspected to be next year.

Rob J Mitchell's gear list:Rob J Mitchell's gear list
Pentax K-3 Pentax smc DA* 16-50mm F2.8 ED AL (IF) SDM Pentax smc DA* 50-135mm F2.8 ED (IF) SDM Pentax smc DA 14mm F2.8 ED (IF) Pentax smc FA 43mm F1.9 Limited +2 more
Anders_Nilsson Contributing Member • Posts: 570

Joseph Tainter wrote:

Oiche wrote:

At least as far as lenses are concerned, there is no doubt about that. But much of that is a corporate decision: The money they save by lowering QC is greater than the money they lose through warranty repairs, returned gear, and disaffected customers.

Whether this is financially wise on the part of Pentax/Hoya/Ricoh, I cannot say. The beancounters are in control.

Joe

I work in automotive, and I can tell You that beyond the tipping point it's disastrous. Look at what happened to Opel. In the 1970's they were a respected brand for the working class making a lot of fun out of nothing, Manta and Commodore being prime examples. And of course the crazy Admiral/Diplomat V8 using a Chevy smallblock in a mid size European body. Then they decided to focus on low cost crap and the results are known.

Controlling costs are absolutely necessary but having satisfied customers and being perceived to give value is do or die today unless You belong to a select few elite brands. Even Mercedes has to give value today.

Anders_Nilsson's gear list:Anders_Nilsson's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-TS4 Casio Exilim EX-10 Casio Exilim EX-100 Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sony Alpha a99 +16 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads