X100F - A newcomer's first impression, dust issues and some samples

Started Jun 26, 2018 | Discussions
sfft
sfft Regular Member • Posts: 104
X100F - A newcomer's first impression, dust issues and some samples

Hi all dear Fuji users,

For the last year I have been shooting with Olympus bodies mostly EM1 Mark II and sometimes EM10 Mark II. I was satisfied but not impressed by EM10 Mark II and 17 F1.8. I was also not comfortable with shiny silver color. My search for daily street camera ended up with buying a couple of months old black X100F. Now comes the issues part:

1 - The camera had dust trapped inside lens! Wasn't happy with the overall condition as well. Visible after F/10. Sold it.

2 - Bought a brand new X100F. Took hundred shots, checked carefully and it had dust trapped inside lens! Visible after F/10.

3 - Went back to Fuji retailer. The great Fuji retailer here replaced the camera with a brand new one. Went back home. Took 5 - 10 shots. Checked carefully. IT HAD DUST INSIDE LENS! I was tired, I liked the camera and wanted to shoot with it, the dust was small enough that it did not show up on images. I put a filter on it and kept it.

From my online investigation and experience with three different cameras now I can comfortably say that X100F has a certain issue of dust being trapped inside the lens glass. I find this disappointing. Fourth iteration of a model must not have this problem at all. This is not a QC issue for sure. This certainly is a design problem. The moving lens design is extremely prone to letting the dust in. And that happens as soon as you take off the lens cap for the first time, not after a couple of months or years.

I guess the only solution for this is putting the clear filter right after you buy the camera. If you ever use it without the filter on that means you have dust inside it.

Apart from that, after a few hundred shots,I found the camera lovely. The feel is great, it is not heavy and not too tiny. It is discrete enough. Auto focus is better than expected. Liked the android application, it is stable. Q button is a nice idea but useless: I could not find a way to assign a preset shoot raw and another shoot jpeg.

Loving the classic chrome JPEGs.

Here are some warm up shots.

Extremely cropped but still usable for online purposes.

-- hide signature --
 sfft's gear list:sfft's gear list
Fujifilm X100F Olympus OM-D E-M10 II Olympus E-M1 II Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 60mm F2.8 Macro Olympus M.Zuiko ED 75-300mm 1:4.8-6.7 II +4 more
Fujifilm X100F Olympus E-M1 Olympus OM-D E-M10
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ikaika777 Senior Member • Posts: 1,917
Re: X100F - A newcomer's first impression, dust issues and some samples

Do you have any shots showing the dust on the lens in the photos?

ikaika777's gear list:ikaika777's gear list
Fujifilm X-T2 Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 10-24mm F4 R OIS Fujifilm XF 35mm F2 R WR Sony RX100 V +11 more
sfft
OP sfft Regular Member • Posts: 104

ikaika777 wrote:

Nope, I have formatted the SD Card which had jpegs with dust spots on two previous cameras.

-- hide signature --
Fujifilm X100F Olympus OM-D E-M10 II Olympus E-M1 II Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 60mm F2.8 Macro Olympus M.Zuiko ED 75-300mm 1:4.8-6.7 II +4 more
dmaclau Senior Member • Posts: 2,841

I wonder if after 3 successful iterations of this camera Fuji has offloaded some assembly to another company or country.  I never found any dust with my X100.  I used it hard and now my grand daughter is doing the same

I have had several fixed lens cameras over the years and found dust in one but it’s replacement was ok.  3 cameras in a row though, it could be an assembly problem

-- hide signature --

absolute power corrupts...absolutely

dmaclau's gear list:dmaclau's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix X100 Sony RX100 III Fujifilm X-Pro2 Fujifilm XF 18mm F2 R Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R +4 more
BurpeesAreHard Contributing Member • Posts: 834

The lens on the X100 series produces an optical illusion. If you have a point source of light above your head or behind your head as you peer into the lens, an image of that light source will appear in the lens but it will be really really tiny. The sun, for example, looks like a tiny spec.

If this happens in a room with overhead lights, rotate the camera as you look in the lens. If the dust doesn't rotate along with it, then it isn't dust.

sfft

Yes, I know that, but not in this case. Cameras had more than one dust spot.

BurpeesAreHard wrote:

The lens on the X100 series produces an optical illusion.

-- hide signature --
LensElf
LensElf Forum Member • Posts: 71

Thanks for the info.

Could you please give the easiest way to explore to see these dust spots on my X100F (if any)?

LensElf's gear list:LensElf's gear list
Fujifilm X-T1 Canon PowerShot G1 X Canon G1 X II Fujifilm X-T2 Fujifilm X-E3 +8 more

sfft wrote:

ikaika777 wrote:

Nope, I have formatted the SD Card which had jpegs with dust spots on two previous cameras.

So you never transferred the photos to your computer and looked at them in say Lightroom, enlarged?

Fujifilm X-T2 Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 10-24mm F4 R OIS Fujifilm XF 35mm F2 R WR Sony RX100 V +11 more
sfft

F/16, manual missed focus, low iso, clear sky. If the dust is visible there is problem.

Could you please give the easiest way to explore to see these dust spots on my X100F (if any)?

-- hide signature --
sfft

No, I never transferred the photos to my computer and looked them in Lightroom since the spots were perfectly visible on the LCD screen of the camera. You can zoom in and check enlarged. You don't need to transfer your dust seeking images to Lightroom if the dust is perfectly visible on the camera and on the image.

So you never transferred the photos to your computer and looked at them in say Lightroom, enlarged?

-- hide signature --

sfft wrote:

No, I never transferred the photos to my computer and looked them in Lightroom since the spots were perfectly visible on the LCD screen of the camera. You can zoom in and check enlarged. You don't need to transfer your dust seeking images to Lightroom if the dust is perfectly visible on the camera and on the image.

Every lens has dust inside.

https://photographylife.com/what-to-do-with-dust-inside-lens

sfft

Of course, but a brand new fixed lens camera - fourth version of its kind - isn't supposed to accumulate visible dust inside its lens with this pace. My main motivation was to warn buyers of X100F to put a filter on the lens as soon as they open the box. Additionally Fuji should warn their customers on this issue. This is an issue specific to a camera model.

-- hide signature --
LensElf
LensElf Forum Member • Posts: 71

Thanks. I'll check mine for the issue. Fingers crossed it's not there.

LensElf's gear list:LensElf's gear list
Fujifilm X-T1 Canon PowerShot G1 X Canon G1 X II Fujifilm X-T2 Fujifilm X-E3 +8 more

sfft wrote:

Of course, but a brand new fixed lens camera - fourth version of its kind - isn't supposed to accumulate visible dust inside its lens with this pace. My main motivation was to warn buyers of X100F to put a filter on the lens as soon as they open the box. Additionally Fuji should warn their customers on this issue. This is an issue specific to a camera model.

Well, brand new in the box lenses that leave the factory have dust inside. But, was the “dust” on your photos in the same spot every time?

sfft

Yup, exactly, was clearly visible at F/16.

Well, brand new in the box lenses that leave the factory have dust inside. But, was the “dust” on your photos in the same spot every time?

-- hide signature --
sfft

If I have encountered it after a year of use I wouldn't be so picky. But that bothers me a lot if the camera is new.

Thanks. I'll check mine for the issue. Fingers crossed it's not there.

-- hide signature --
Flingz
Flingz Regular Member • Posts: 106

I had an X100 for like 6 or 7 years and now I have an X100F. Up until the end I never had any dust issues that caused problems in my photos. And my F has no issues so far.

Flingz's gear list:Flingz's gear list
Fujifilm X100F
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads