G1x Mark iii aperture with zoom and evf lag

Started 4 months ago | Discussions
Chairmanlmao Regular Member • Posts: 132
G1x Mark iii aperture with zoom and evf lag

hi,

Just wondering if anyone has an idea of the G1x iii fastest aperture at key zoom lengths (equivalent), and how bad the evf lag is at, say, 4fps.

I currently have an EM1ii with the 12-40 2.8 and 12-100 f4 but the G1x appeals as a (jacket pocket) cam when biking / stuff with kids because A) even the EM1ii can seem ‘imposing’ for others - family members just prefer using something like the G1x iii B) some events won’t let in the EM1now (as it is interchangeable lens) C) small lenses that reduce the size (such as 25mm 1.8) are not weather resistant on the Oly D) the G1x iii would fit in my jacket pocket...

So I was just wondering if what the f stop is at 20mm and 30mm, and how bad the evf lag is at lower FPS (say 4fps).

If not the G1x iii I might go for a Sony 6300/6500 with the pancake zoom...

Cheers

Canon G1 X II Olympus E-M1
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
KeepCalm Senior Member • Posts: 1,898
Re: G1x Mark iii aperture with zoom and evf lag

Chairmanlmao wrote:

hi,

Just wondering if anyone has an idea of the G1x iii fastest aperture at key zoom lengths (equivalent), and how bad the evf lag is at, say, 4fps.

I currently have an EM1ii with the 12-40 2.8 and 12-100 f4 but the G1x appeals as a (jacket pocket) cam when biking / stuff with kids because A) even the EM1ii can seem ‘imposing’ for others - family members just prefer using something like the G1x iii B) some events won’t let in the EM1now (as it is interchangeable lens) C) small lenses that reduce the size (such as 25mm 1.8) are not weather resistant on the Oly D) the G1x iii would fit in my jacket pocket...

So I was just wondering if what the f stop is at 20mm and 30mm, and how bad the evf lag is at lower FPS (say 4fps).

If not the G1x iii I might go for a Sony 6300/6500 with the pancake zoom...

Cheers

Difficult to know why you do not get an m43 compact body and small zoom as it will be a better fit in your jacket and mount your existing lenses rather than this Sony lens with an entirely new lens system unless you have a stash of alpha lenses.

I once had a Nex6 with the 16-50 and never really imagined for a minute putting it in a pocket.

 KeepCalm's gear list:KeepCalm's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-HX90V Canon G3 X Canon G9 X Fujifilm X-A3 Fujifilm X-T100 +4 more
OP Chairmanlmao Regular Member • Posts: 132
Re: G1x Mark iii aperture with zoom and evf lag

KeepCalm wrote:

Difficult to know why you do not get an m43 compact body and small zoom

Non of the small m/43 with pancake zooms have as good af (and face detect), and iq as the 6300/500 or G1x iii

mouzhik Regular Member • Posts: 252
Re: G1x Mark iii aperture with zoom and evf lag

20mm -> f/3,5

30mm -> f/5,0

I can't say much about the viewfinder: I hardly use it.

 mouzhik's gear list:mouzhik's gear list
Canon G1 X III Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS Rebel SL1 Canon EOS M6 Canon EF 16-35mm F2.8L II USM +11 more
OP Chairmanlmao Regular Member • Posts: 132
Re: G1x Mark iii aperture with zoom and evf lag

mouzhik wrote:

20mm -> f/3,5

30mm -> f/5,0

I can't say much about the viewfinder: I hardly use it.

Thanks, 20mm f3,5 isn't bad, seems it slows down quickly after that, but 20mm 3.5 is basically the same as the Em1ii 12-40 at 35mm equivalent.

What's the lag like using the rear LCD in higher FPS, say 4fps?

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads