Why Our Studio Switched To Sony

Started 2 months ago | Discussions
XeroJay
XeroJay Senior Member • Posts: 1,643
Why Our Studio Switched To Sony

XeroJay's gear list:XeroJay's gear list
Canon EOS M6 Sony a7 III Canon EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro IS USM Canon EF-M 22mm f/2 STM Canon EF 35mm F1.4L II USM +4 more
texdpl Regular Member • Posts: 359
Re: Why Our Studio Switched To Sony

Thanks for posting.  I love my A7 III.  It is amazing.

-- hide signature --

Don L.

texdpl's gear list:texdpl's gear list
Sony RX10 IV Sony a7 III Sony FE 28mm F2 Sony FE 50mm F1.8 Sony FE 85mm F1.8
XeroJay
OP XeroJay Senior Member • Posts: 1,643

texdpl wrote:

Thanks for posting. I love my A7 III. It is amazing.

Glad you liked it. We're not big on being in front of the camera instead of behind the camera, but we wanted to share our enthusiasm with what Sony has achieved in the A7III.

Canon EOS M6 Sony a7 III Canon EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro IS USM Canon EF-M 22mm f/2 STM Canon EF 35mm F1.4L II USM +4 more
DVT80111 Veteran Member • Posts: 3,148

XeroJay wrote:

texdpl wrote:

Glad you liked it. We're not big on being in front of the camera instead of behind the camera, but we wanted to share our enthusiasm with what Sony has achieved in the A7III.

No. III is an odd number, I can't have it. Have to wait another 18 months for the IV. 

DVT80111's gear list:DVT80111's gear list
Sony RX100 Fujifilm X-E1 Canon EOS 70D Canon EOS 6D Sony Alpha a7R II
XeroJay

DVT80111 wrote:

XeroJay wrote:

texdpl wrote:

No. III is an odd number, I can't have it. Have to wait another 18 months for the IV.

A7, 9, 5D, 1D...All odd numbers. I wouldn't let that get in the way of owning a great camera.

mfenske
mfenske Regular Member • Posts: 203

XeroJay wrote:

Awesome video guys! I'm sure you could keep the Canon and tell your clients how good the menus are and how it doesn't feel like a "toy" in your hands because that's what clients care about.

mfenske's gear list:mfenske's gear list
Sony Alpha a7R II Sony FE 28mm F2 Sony FE 85mm F1.8
XeroJay

mfenske wrote:

XeroJay wrote:

Awesome video guys! I'm sure you could keep the Canon and tell your clients how good the menus are and how it doesn't feel like a "toy" in your hands because that's what clients care about.

Haha it's kind of funny, but when we first picked up the Sony, it did feel a bit...alien, for lack of a better term. Picking up a big DSLR after getting used to the Sony though, and it feels like a bit of a waste of space. Like there's no real reason for a 1DX or D4/5 to be the size it is other than just being bog for the sake of being big.

Nowadays, I'll take the bigger performance in the smaller package, thank you.

Yake Contributing Member • Posts: 819

You really like to shoot at f/1.4 and this camera gives you great AF results.  I understand that ... it's very convincing.

But why make what looks & sounds like a highly-produced 14-minute commercial for Sony?  There's b+w, slo-mo, music, a cooperative couple, Lightroom comparisons, etc.  That's a heck of a lot of effort!  You have just a handful of subscribers on YouTube, so I don't understand who this is for.  Is it just just enthusiasm that motivates you to put in all of this effort for no payment ... a public service for strangers that you'll never meet?  Or is there some business justification to create such a video, some expected reward?

Sorry if that sounds harsh, but I get very antsy about being "sold" on hype when I see something so designed to deliver one message.

Dan_168 Veteran Member • Posts: 7,945

mfenske wrote:

XeroJay wrote:

Well, customer doesn't care but I , as a user, I do care A LOT.

DenImage Senior Member • Posts: 1,116

"Awesome video guys! I'm sure you could keep the Canon and tell your clients how good the menus are and how it doesn't feel like a "toy" in your hands because that's what clients care about"

:

Hahaha,

Do you still record on VHS or Betamax, or do you use a PVR?

Stick with your dinosaur, whilst the rest of us move with the times.

Den

DenImage's gear list:DenImage's gear list
Sony Alpha a7R II Sigma 8mm F3.5 EX DG Circular Fisheye Sony FE 100mm F2.8 GM Sony RX10 IV Sony RX100 VI +2 more
Pixel Pooper Senior Member • Posts: 2,551

You might have missed the sarcasm there

Pixel Pooper's gear list:Pixel Pooper's gear list
Sony a6500 Tamron SP AF 60mm F/2 Di II LD IF Macro Sony E 35mm F1.8 OSS Samyang 12mm F2 NCS CS Sony E 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 OSS +2 more
DenImage Senior Member • Posts: 1,116

Pixel Pooper wrote:

You might have missed the sarcasm there

Lol,

I think you're right. I just re-read it.

Den

DenImage's gear list:DenImage's gear list
Sony Alpha a7R II Sigma 8mm F3.5 EX DG Circular Fisheye Sony FE 100mm F2.8 GM Sony RX10 IV Sony RX100 VI +2 more
caterpillar Veteran Member • Posts: 7,397
Thanks

Thanks for sharing your impressions. It sounds like a Sony commercial and I am sure others will hit you on this. But I do get you. I have the a7-3 myself, and coming also from Canon for over a decade in dslr (nikon in film days), I know the difference and the advantages. It's really night and day in many areas with what the A7-3 can do.

I've find it odd how your tests can miss focus with the Canon. I am not familiar with Nikon, so I won't comment on those. But Canon not hitting the eyes with 5-stars is a surprise to me.

The only thing switchers or those who are curious to test the Sony must do is not just to use it for a day. You must use it for at least 2 weeks at lesat. It takes time to get used to their system. It's easy to dismiss the menu or other things simply because we are all used to the previous system. There's too much muscle memory that must be re-trained. Same with the way our mental mapping of how things work. But once you get to set up your custom menu and learn the buttons, and configure them, it's really quite intuitive. Or rather, it really just flows. In fact, it is way easier. The only 3 things I want changed in the future are:

1 - fully functional touch screen which includes the ability to use them in menus and pics

2 - the pic zoom in button be not too far from the pic button. Better to re-assign that or just use the pic preview button to go to zoom mode. Press once to go into pic review, press again to go into zoom view and use the dial to zoom in or out. But if there is a fully functional touch screen, then one can pinch out or in and that is the zoom!

3- Have a way to Eye-AF to be always active and seeking in AF-S.  Having to press a button to activate it and keep it on is a bit tiring in the long run.

I've also said in other fora how others miss the point about pros. Naysayers always cite the pros in sports and PJs still using Canon or Nikon. But the bigger number of pros are in the wedding/events scene! They number in the millions all over the world. How many pro PJs/sports are there vs the wedding/events shooters in the world? Sony understood this, and made sure that these are the pros that will get the cameras.  Win those  and you have a bigger market than PJs/sports. Besides, who can afford a U$6,500 camera or those expensive lenses? Wedding/events shooters  will go for the mid range and will buy 2-3 bodies out of their own pocket. And it won't be a company camera. Not that Sony will not make a play for the no 1 spot and Canikon's flagship sports cameras. The A9-2 will do that in about a year's time. But the numbers is really with events/weddings. And you can mix that with other types because the A7-3 is so versatile. But it is not just a mediocre jack-of-all-trades. It does all types very, very well! In fact, it can do lots of things excellently !

-- hide signature --

- Caterpillar
'Always in the process of changing, growing, and transforming.'

caterpillar's gear list:caterpillar's gear list
Panasonic FZ1000 Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS USM Canon EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 USM Canon EF-S 18-135mm F3.5-5.6 IS STM Panasonic Lumix DMC-TS4 +22 more
noggin2k1
noggin2k1 Senior Member • Posts: 1,907

Great beards & hair in your studio!!

I just hope the Nikon & Canon forums don't see this; a real world, money making, professional studio switching to Sony for valid reasons - they'll go apoplectic...

noggin2k1's gear list:noggin2k1's gear list
Sony a9 Sony a6500 Sony FE 24-70mm F2.8 GM Sony FE 70-200mm F2.8 GM OSS Sony FE 55mm F1.8 +6 more
Magnar W
Magnar W Senior Member • Posts: 2,859

Yake wrote:

But why make what looks & sounds like a highly-produced 14-minute commercial for Sony?

Does it? I did not even think about this when watching this well done video.

There's b+w, slo-mo, music, a cooperative couple, Lightroom comparisons, etc. That's a heck of a lot of effort! You have just a handful of subscribers on YouTube, so I don't understand who this is for. Is it just just enthusiasm that motivates you to put in all of this effort for no payment ... a public service for strangers that you'll never meet? Or is there some business justification to create such a video, some expected reward?

I think they made their point pretty clear: Smaller cameras, way better focus, less post processing … they are excited by the A7rIII. Why does there have to be more?

I am sure this video is NOT meant for their customers, or for promoting their studio.

Sorry if that sounds harsh, but I get very antsy about being "sold" on hype when I see something so designed to deliver one message.

Du you have a link to your video?

Magnar W's gear list:Magnar W's gear list
Sony Alpha a7R III Sony Alpha a7 Zeiss Loxia 21mm F2.8 Zeiss Loxia 35 Zeiss Loxia 85mm F2.4 +2 more
splashy
splashy Senior Member • Posts: 2,402

I stopped viewing at 3/4 of the movie, not sure why it's bothering me, why did you make this movie and for who?

Also in the first shot session I see CLEARLY moving hands while pressing the shutter button, this might not give a blurry picture, but missed the focus point.

Anyway enjoy your new camera's.

splashy's gear list:splashy's gear list
Sony Alpha a7R III Sony FE 50mm F1.8 Sony FE 85mm F1.8 Sony FE 24-240mm F3.5-6.3 OSS Sony FE 28mm F2 +1 more
XeroJay

Yake wrote:

You really like to shoot at f/1.4 and this camera gives you great AF results. I understand that ... it's very convincing.

But why make what looks & sounds like a highly-produced 14-minute commercial for Sony? There's b+w, slo-mo, music, a cooperative couple, Lightroom comparisons, etc. That's a heck of a lot of effort! You have just a handful of subscribers on YouTube, so I don't understand who this is for. Is it just just enthusiasm that motivates you to put in all of this effort for no payment ... a public service for strangers that you'll never meet? Or is there some business justification to create such a video, some expected reward?

To be honest, most of the video was made as a fun sub project while we were capturing photos and video for the real project, which is a short story about the couple. Their wedding is coming up this summer and we were getting footage for the doc.

Also, we wanted to create something that shows a bit of the personalities behind our studio. The original idea was just to show some footage of us talking about who we are, but we figured this is more interesting to a broader audience.

In the end, it's just something that we wanted to do.

mfenske
mfenske Regular Member • Posts: 203

Dan_168 wrote:

mfenske wrote:

XeroJay wrote:

As do I and it seems like those are the only things Canon can hold on to these days

mfenske's gear list:mfenske's gear list
Sony Alpha a7R II Sony FE 28mm F2 Sony FE 85mm F1.8
DVT80111 Veteran Member • Posts: 3,148

mfenske wrote:

Dan_168 wrote:

mfenske wrote:

XeroJay wrote:

As do I and it seems like those are the only things Canon can hold on to these days

God gave me a pinky, and damn Sony does not know what to do with it.

DVT80111's gear list:DVT80111's gear list
Sony RX100 Fujifilm X-E1 Canon EOS 70D Canon EOS 6D Sony Alpha a7R II
texdpl Regular Member • Posts: 359

Xerojay

I knew you would get hammered for this one.  In today's world, the truth does not matter. We must not offend anyone.

Thanks again for producing and posting your video.  I wish you guys the best.

-- hide signature --

Don L.

texdpl's gear list:texdpl's gear list
Sony RX10 IV Sony a7 III Sony FE 28mm F2 Sony FE 50mm F1.8 Sony FE 85mm F1.8
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads