why are Sony FE lens so expensive ?

Started 6 months ago | Discussions
TRIODEROB Senior Member • Posts: 2,453
why are Sony FE lens so expensive ?

is there a legitimate reason that Sony FE lens are so much more expensive than Canon ?

Luis Gabriel Photography
Luis Gabriel Photography Senior Member • Posts: 1,801
Re: why are Sony FE lens so expensive ?

TRIODEROB wrote:

is there a legitimate reason that Sony FE lens are so much more expensive than Canon ?

I think you are generalizing too much. For example compare the 11-24 to the 12-24. Also, Canon has a MUCH bigger base and many of the lenses have been in the market for many years.
Too many factors to consider.

Luis Gabriel Photography's gear list:Luis Gabriel Photography's gear list
Sony FE 85mm F1.4 GM Sigma 135mm F1.8 Art Sony FE 12-24mm F4 Rokinon AF 35mm F1.4 FE Sony RX100 V +9 more
OP TRIODEROB Senior Member • Posts: 2,453

lets reverse this - is there ANY Sony FE lens where you are not paying a 30-40 % premium ?

( don't quote me on the % as I am just estimating - I know I could be off)

DXWCanon New Member • Posts: 16

100% speculation but I'd guess at the fact that they don't have the same sales volume as Canon. Lower qty mfg = higher cost to produce. Keeping a standard margin, could explain why they cost more.

Could be a number of other reasons that would be more speculation. e.g. they want to charge more to make it seem like their lenses are "premiums and high quality".

DXWCanon's gear list:DXWCanon's gear list
Canon EOS M Canon EOS 70D Sony a7R II Canon EF-M 22mm f/2 STM Tamron SP 70-200mm F/2.8 Di VC USD +3 more
golfhov Senior Member • Posts: 8,028
Because they can

TRIODEROB wrote:

It is a partially true. I think the combination of volume and age. Part of it too is Sony hasn't put a lot of effort into "value" lenses. Luckily third part manufacturers are joining in the fun

If you pay attention all the new releases by Canon put them closer. 35 1.4, 70-200s, 11-24, etc. The price differences here aren't as bad as the older versions.

Also pick your lenses. A few like the 28 f2, 11-24, 16-35 4, and 50 macro are similarly priced

Is what it is. Don't buy in if Sony is too rich for your blood

golfhov's gear list:golfhov's gear list
Panasonic LX10 Sony a7R II Sony a7 III Samyang 14mm F2.8 IF ED MC Aspherical Tamron SP 70-200mm F/2.8 Di VC USD +11 more
blessingx
blessingx Contributing Member • Posts: 583

TRIODEROB wrote:

lets reverse this - is there ANY Sony FE lens where you are not paying a 30-40 % premium ?

Also a different view - compare to non-Canon lines. I’m my case - native lenses for my Fuji system or native lenses for my Sigma system, Sony is inline with prices or sometimes significantly cheaper.

blessingx's gear list:blessingx's gear list
Sigma dp2 Quattro Sigma dp0 Quattro Fujifilm X-Pro2 Sigma sd Quattro H Sony a7 III +13 more
MikeTakesPix
MikeTakesPix Regular Member • Posts: 454

Actually for what you get I think Fuji X mount is some of the most costly glass out there. Not including luxury brands like Leica and Hassel.

MikeTakesPix's gear list:MikeTakesPix's gear list
Sony a7 III Rokinon 14mm F2.8 IF ED MC Sony FE 70-200 F4 Rokinon AF 35mm F2.8 FE Tamron 28-75mm F2.8 III
Tuloom Senior Member • Posts: 2,802

They're big meanies.

DiffractionLtd
DiffractionLtd Senior Member • Posts: 1,737

When Sony sees someone buying an A7(whatever) they don't think about the camera body sale, they think lenses and GOTCHA!

Risix Regular Member • Posts: 107

Why are Canon cameras so expensive is the real question.  Compare A7iii to 6Dii / 5DIV lol

Risix's gear list:Risix's gear list
Sony a7R II Sony a7 III Sony FE 85mm F1.4 GM Sony FE 12-24mm F4 Tamron 28-75mm F2.8 III
Dan_168 Veteran Member • Posts: 8,484

TRIODEROB wrote:

here is few come to my mind: ( B & H price):

Canon 16-35 F2.8 III $2199, Sony 16-35GM $2198

Canon 24-70 F2.8 II1899, Sony 24-70GM $2198

Canon 85 1.4 1599, Sony 85 1.4 $1798

Canon 35L F1.4 1799, Sony 35 F1.4 $1598

MILC man Senior Member • Posts: 1,885

TRIODEROB wrote:

how many canon lenses have you ever seen that were factory-rated as being 15-20fps capable? because most of the sony ff lenses will do that on an a9:

http://support.d-imaging.sony.co.jp/www/support/ilc/products/ilce9/continuousshooting/en/index.html?id=spt

making lenses that deliver high performance costs more, you are trying to compare apples to oranges.

much of the canon lens lineup is old designs, that have been bettered by 3rd-party lenses... so of course the old designs cost less, they are weaker.

look at the dxo sharpest lens list:

8 canon bodies

2 canon-brand lenses

Big Stick Regular Member • Posts: 411

Feckless Canikon and their floundering mirrorless forays have emboldened Sony to do what Sony does best--over-charge.

Sony thinks this "Sony tax" is well-deserved because of its brand equity, but they are cruising for a bruising! They felt the same way in the TV arena, but were soundly drubbed by Samsung and now, LG.

One would have imagined that that would have left them suitably chastened, but no, apparently their hubris needs more tempering..

-- hide signature --

Speak loudly and carry a big stick

caplanner Contributing Member • Posts: 881

TRIODEROB wrote:

Canon EF 35mm f/1.4L II USM Lens $1,649 (after $150 discount)

Sony Distagon T* FE 35mm f/1.4 ZA Lens  $1,598

<mic drop>

caplanner's gear list:caplanner's gear list
Sony a7R III Sony FE 70-200 F4 Sony FE 35mm F1.4 Zeiss Batis 85mm F1.8 Zeiss Loxia 21mm F2.8 +15 more
DenImage Senior Member • Posts: 1,679

TRIODEROB wrote:

Generally I agree with the premise of your question. Most Sony FE lenses are more expensive.

I presume because they are newer designs, factories need to re-tool for the new designs.

Sony needs to recover R&D and manufacturing costs from early adopters of these lenses, then prices naturally decline as unit sales increase, and as competitors release competing models.

Den

DenImage's gear list:DenImage's gear list
Sony a7R II Sigma 8mm F3.5 EX DG Circular Fisheye Sony FE 100mm F2.8 GM Sony RX10 IV Sony RX100 VI +2 more
DiffractionLtd
DiffractionLtd Senior Member • Posts: 1,737

Risix wrote:

Why are Canon cameras so expensive is the real question. Compare A7iii to 6Dii / 5DIV lol

Camera body is like a printer, it's cheap compared to how much the ink will be in the long run.

Paul Barnard Senior Member • Posts: 2,307

DiffractionLtd wrote:

Risix wrote:

Why are Canon cameras so expensive is the real question. Compare A7iii to 6Dii / 5DIV lol

Camera body is like a printer, it's cheap compared to how much the ink will be in the long run.

Isn't the body the ink?

Paul Barnard's gear list:Paul Barnard's gear list
Sony a7R III Sony FE 55mm F1.8 Zeiss Batis 25mm F2 Sony 1.4x Teleconverter (2016) Sony 2x Teleconverter (2016) +2 more
DenImage Senior Member • Posts: 1,679

DiffractionLtd wrote:

Risix wrote:

Lol,

Except in this case the "printer" is bloody expensive as well.

The a7iii is more expensive now than my a7rii was two years ago.

Den

DenImage's gear list:DenImage's gear list
Sony a7R II Sigma 8mm F3.5 EX DG Circular Fisheye Sony FE 100mm F2.8 GM Sony RX10 IV Sony RX100 VI +2 more
jmbillings Contributing Member • Posts: 569

I don't think it's any more complex than they know what they can get away with charging.

I used to be the only person I knew with a Sony, but I'm seeing more and more people. A lot of pros are staying with Canikon, and a lot of "mum wanting a better camera for the kids" still just buy a low end Canon DSLR. Sony seems to be the preserve of the well-heeled* enthusiast with deep pockets so they can charge what they charge.

*I'm not that well heeled which is why I don't have any GM lenses

jmbillings's gear list:jmbillings's gear list
Sony a7 Sony a7R II Voigtlander 15mm F4.5 Super Wide Heliar Samyang 85mm F1.4 Aspherical IF Sony FE 70-200 F4 +4 more
biza43 Veteran Member • Posts: 8,578

The answer is 42.

-- hide signature --

www.paulobizarro.com
http://blog.paulobizarro.com/

biza43's gear list:biza43's gear list
Fujifilm X-Pro2 Fujifilm X-H1 Fujifilm XF 56mm F1.2 R Fujifilm XF 23mm F2 R WR +1 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads