Fujifilm 50mm f2 R WR XF Lens

Started 2 months ago | Discussions
Old Timer63
Old Timer63 Veteran Member • Posts: 4,215
Fujifilm 50mm f2 R WR XF Lens

Any body had any experience with the lens? is it up on par with something like the 35 1.4 ? I want something just a bit longer than the 35 for the xH1 but must be as good as the 35,23,14 optically

Thanks

Dave

-- hide signature --

I feel so much better now that I've given up Hope
http://www.pbase.com/davechilvers/latest_images

Old Timer63's gear list:Old Timer63's gear list
Fujifilm X-T10 Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 14mm F2.8 R Fujifilm XF 23mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R +10 more
Bob Tullis
Bob Tullis Forum Pro • Posts: 35,271
Re: Fujifilm 50mm f2 R WR XF Lens

Dave Chilvers wrote:

Any body had any experience with the lens? is it up on par with something like the 35 1.4 ? I want something just a bit longer than the 35 for the xH1 but must be as good as the 35,23,14 optically

Lots of reviews to be had for this lens.

Bob Tullis's gear list:Bob Tullis's gear list
Fujifilm X-Pro2 Fujifilm X-H1 Fujifilm X100F Fujifilm X-T2
deednets Veteran Member • Posts: 8,105

Dave Chilvers wrote:

Thanks

Dave

I have used this lens now for more than a year and like it, well made, excellent close up capabilities. Contrast is also great. Here are a few taken with that lens with some emphasis on the out of focus rendering of that lens:

https://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/61045743

Plenty of reviews around though as Bob Tullis has already mentioned.

Deed

deednets's gear list:deednets's gear list
Fujifilm X-T20 Fujifilm X-Pro2 Fujifilm XF 16mm F1.4 R WR Fujifilm 50mm F2 R WR XF 90mm +3 more
MoonUnit Forum Member • Posts: 76

Dave Chilvers wrote:

The 50 f/2 is my favorite Fuji lens. I have a good copy of the 35 f/2, but the 50 seems a little sharper still, especially as you get to the corners. Definitely sharper than the 23 f/2 wide open. IMHO it's also among the fastest autofocusing lenses in Fuji's lineup. There is a little bokeh swirl towards the corners but nothing even close to objectionable.

If you haven't seen the recent Imaging Resource review of this lens, you should check it out. Lenstip has a good review of it too.

LarsRost Regular Member • Posts: 163

Dave Chilvers wrote:

Thanks

Dave

Sharpness: excellent in center at F2, tack sharp from F2.8. Very good border sharpness at F2, tack sharp at F4-F5.6.

Nice bokeh, excellent contrast and colors. I sold my 35/1.4 to buy it and I don't regret it at all.

.lars

Old Timer63
OP Old Timer63 Veteran Member • Posts: 4,215

Bob Tullis wrote:

Dave Chilvers wrote:

Lots of reviews to be had for this lens.

Thanks Bob, lots of reading there

Fujifilm X-T10 Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 14mm F2.8 R Fujifilm XF 23mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R +10 more
Old Timer63

Thanks lads, lots to read but so far looks good. I have the 55-200 but don`t want to carry that around and of course the shallow DOF is what I`m after

Dave

-- hide signature --

technotic Regular Member • Posts: 233

Dave Chilvers wrote:

Thanks

Dave

It's an excellent lens and I find myself using it surprisingly often. It is small, very nicely built and has very good image quality. I would highly recommend it in addition to the 35 1.4 which I also have.

lou Capeloto Contributing Member • Posts: 869

My favorite lens unbelievable results best lens ever owned and I have shot with Leitz lenses film

-- hide signature --
esmufotografija
esmufotografija Regular Member • Posts: 159

LarsRost wrote:

Dave Chilvers wrote:

Thanks

Dave

Sharpness: excellent in center at F2, tack sharp from F2.8. Very good border sharpness at F2, tack sharp at F4-F5.6.

Nice bokeh, excellent contrast and colors. I sold my 35/1.4 to buy it and I don't regret it at all.

.lars

I sold  my 50mm to buy a 35 mm f1.4 it is a lot more versatile and there is no need to step back

Truman Prevatt
Truman Prevatt Veteran Member • Posts: 7,638

I hate to be the contrarian, but someone has to do it ;-). I got this lens. It is small light weight lens in a very short tele format. However, try as I may to like it -  it does nothing for me.  Where I thought I could carry it sometimes instead the 56, I bite the bullet and carry the 56.

So the 50 sits in the closet. Don’t get me wrong it is technically a fine lens but when I look at the images taken with it I just don’t see the same wow I get out of the 56 and 35 f1.4.  Eventually it will hit EBay.

-- hide signature --

Truman
www.pbase.com/tprevatt

Truman Prevatt's gear list:Truman Prevatt's gear list
Fujifilm X-Pro2 Fujifilm X-H1 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 56mm F1.2 R XF 90mm +8 more
Rod McD Veteran Member • Posts: 6,215

Hi,

I've only owned one for a few days - principally bought for my son to use - so it's early days for me.  It's very well made - the focus and aperture rings are better damped than my 35/1.4 or 60mm lenses.  The subject separation and (nice smooth) bokeh are similar to the 60mm, which is obviously longer but a whisker slower.  The AF is faster and quieter than either.  As I said, it's early days, but I like the few images from the lens that I've taken around the house.  You may see some minor CAs if you pixel peep harsh contrast like skylight through trees, but it's not a significant issue with normal levels of contrast.

It won't give you the shallow DOF of the 56mm, but that comes down to your uses, tastes and preferences.

Cheers, Rod

Rod McD's gear list:Rod McD's gear list
Canon PowerShot G1 X Olympus Tough TG-4 Fujifilm X-T1 Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 60mm F2.4 R Macro +10 more
Old Timer63

I know it will never compare but I purchased the 18-55 when I first started with Fuji as a kit lens. I`ve only just purchased the XH1 so not very flush at present. when I have used the 18-55 I have never been over the moon but I will do a careful test and of course I won`t get the 5stops of IBIS with the zoom.

I have the 35 1.4 which is superb so I`m gonna do a test today using the 18-55 on a tripod to really see what it can do at 55. I want the 50 f2 as a walk around lens but obviously shallow DOF would be nice if I purchased the 50 f2. Also, I don`t print much now and wonder whether cropping images from the 35 would be acceptable rather than the 50.

I also got the 18 f2 when I started and was going to trade it in for the 50 f2 to help with costs.

I have read all the reviews that you guys posted and the 50 does seem like a great lens

Thanks all for your help

Dave

-- hide signature --

pepsijunior
pepsijunior Regular Member • Posts: 422

I just got it. Seems amazing and on the H1 it’s so small and light. Fits in the camera bag well. I was looking for a small f2 prime since my other ones are a 2.8 and I’ve heard plenty of Great things about it. From what I’m reading here from the other users, it looks like I made a great 450$ investment.

pepsijunior's gear list:pepsijunior's gear list
Fujifilm X100F Fujifilm X-H1 Sony Alpha a7R III Fujifilm XF 50-140mm F2.8 Fujifilm XF 80mm F2.8 Macro +6 more
Old Timer63

Tested the 18-55 around the garden around the long end on a tripod, to be honest for a zoom it isn`t bad at all. Having said that I did notice it wasn`t totally consistent shooting the same subject a few times but certainly not on par with my 35 1.4 but it is a keeper for those times when you might be at a function and then one lens more or less does it all.

I traded my mint used twice 18 f2 that was part of the deal when I purchased the Xpro1 when they first came out.

Anyway, I picked up the 50 f2, what a cracking lens for size and smooth operation with Auto focus swift and more or less on the ball although I`m loving the MF with this lens. It might (might) have the edge on my 35 1.4 for IQ but time will tell on that but certainly that extra reach is very nice to have.

It reminds me a lot of my long gone Canon 85 1.8 which was a stellar copy and as I remember my Leica 90mm f2 Apo.(that will start a few minds boggling

Thanks for all your help.

Dave

-- hide signature --

Old Timer63
Re: Fujifilm 50mm f2 R WR XF Lens First Day

Well, I love this lens, what I have noticed is that as sharp as it is the images still look natural. Focussing on close ups needs patience for sure but practise makes perfect. On my way home I stopped at a church to shoot some narrow DOF shots and as I walked back to my ageing car I shot a quick one before putting the camera in the boot. I haven`t uploaded it because my internet out in the country while we wait for fibre is at a snails pace but it is on my pbase site. No sure how you will see it because I haven`t calibrated my monitor for some time but if you could see it at full res you might get the same real life feeling from the image. Acros +red.

http://www.pbase.com/image/167699199

Dave

-- hide signature --

jseffel Junior Member • Posts: 35

Fujifilm 50/2 @ f/2

I've used the 50/2 for a while now. It is sharp, focuses fast and accurate. AF-C also works very well. The number of keepers with the 50/2 is way better than the 23/1.4 which I also own. I use it mainly to photograph my kids. You have to get pretty close in order to blur the backrground. I like the size and weight a lot.

Ulrik Christiansen Regular Member • Posts: 148

Dave Chilvers wrote:

Thanks

Dave

I just bought the 50mm some weeks ago and I really like it. I don't about the 35/1.4, but cCompared to the 18-55 kit it is a fair amount sharper if that is important. I like doing portraits with it. For the price, I am very happy with it.

Ulrik Christiansen's gear list:Ulrik Christiansen's gear list
Canon PowerShot G7 X Nikon D7200 Fujifilm X-T20 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-140mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS +2 more
eric333 Contributing Member • Posts: 921

Oh my, lens discussion aside, I’m quite smitten with that lovely girl.

Old Timer63

eric333 wrote:

Oh my, lens discussion aside, I’m quite smitten with that lovely girl.

You are talking about my 18 year old car Eric 

It always helps if the subject is beautiful, who cares about the corners (if anyone bothers to look at them)  lovely shot of a lovely young lady.

Dave

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads