so the new Oppo cell phone won't have an optical zoom

Started 6 months ago | Discussions
tko Forum Pro • Posts: 12,640
so the new Oppo cell phone won't have an optical zoom

I guess the cell phone that one guy thought would be the start of the end of consumer stand alone camera market won't have its hyped zoom. Maybe it never worked? Instead it has a motorized pop up camera. And it uses it to scan your face, so it has to pop up every single time you turn it on.

Not mention you can't put it in a case because it will block the pop up camera. I hope they made it tough enough to withstand drops.

But hey, for the first time an Oppo model will be available outside Asian countries. You think they'll sell many at $1000 a pop?

Personally, I think cell phone are so jammed packed full of stuff they've reached the limits of optical performance.

The Oppo Find X, the first smartphone from the Chinese electronics company to be sold in Europe and North America, will cost £999 (about $1,150 at current USD conversation rates). The pricing was announced at the tail end of Oppo’s lavish reveal event that was held at the Louvre in Paris today. That price appears to be only for the 256GB configuration, and we don’t know whether the phone will be available for less money. The device is slated to ship in August, though we don’t know yet whether that time frame is for Europe, North America, or both regions.

Prior to the Find X, Oppo phones were restricted to China, India, Philippines, and a few other Asian countries. This new model, which features an edge-to-edge display, is Oppo’s attempt to compete with top-tier handset makers like Apple and Samsung. Its most notable feature is a pop-up camera in place of a front-facing module fitted inside a display notch, as is the case on the iPhone X and a number of Android copycat devices.

The most interesting aspect of the Find X’s design is its camera system, which is completely hidden when the phone is off or the camera app is closed. When you turn the Find X on and open the camera app, the entire top section of the phone motorizes up and reveals a 25-megapixel front-facing camera, 3D facial scanning system, and 16-megapixel + 20-megapixel dual rear camera. Close the camera app and the whole assembly motors back into the phone’s chassis. Oppo says the camera can open in just 0.5 seconds, and based on my experience, that seems fairly accurate.

-- hide signature --

no, I won't return to read your witty reply!
professional cynic and contrarian: don't take it personally
http://500px.com/omearak

digitallollygag Contributing Member • Posts: 991
Re: so the new Oppo cell phone won't have an optical zoom

The Oppo might be a tough sell at that price point. I’d spring money for a thicker-body smartphone that incorporated a built-in zoom lens. The lack of a 3x optical zoom in smartphones is what has kept me in compact cameras up to this point.

digitallollygag's gear list:digitallollygag's gear list
Canon PowerShot SX50 HS Canon G9 X II Sony SLT-A65 Sony DT 35mm F1.8 SAM Sony DT 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 SAM II +2 more
Glen Barrington
Glen Barrington Forum Pro • Posts: 19,844
In the USA, at least, it won't matter much what it has.

if Verizon or AT&T won't pick it up, it is unlikely to be available anyway.  At least, the consumer will be forced to take 'heroic' actions to acquire one.  Far more trouble than the average consumer will be willing to take for a mere smartphone.

"Big Blue" and "Big Red" are the gatekeepers to the US market.

Glen Barrington's gear list:Glen Barrington's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M10 Olympus OM-D E-M10 II Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm 1:4.0-5.6 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4.0-5.6 Olympus Zuiko Digital 14-54mm 1:2.8-3.5 +12 more

I should correct myself: one of the Asus ZenFone models offers an optical 3x zoom.

Canon PowerShot SX50 HS Canon G9 X II Sony SLT-A65 Sony DT 35mm F1.8 SAM Sony DT 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 SAM II +2 more
Re: In the USA, at least, it won't matter much what it has.

Glen Barrington wrote:

if Verizon or AT&T won't pick it up, it is unlikely to be available anyway. At least, the consumer will be forced to take 'heroic' actions to acquire one. Far more trouble than the average consumer will be willing to take for a m weere smartphone.

"Big Blue" and "Big Red" are the gatekeepers to the US market.

I agree, those two are the gatekeepers here in the States. It amazes me how many people don't think about their unlocked smartphone options with Amazon, B&H, Newegg, eBay, etc. I can order one of those beautiful copper-trimmed Nokia 7 Plus smartphones on Amazon. I'll bet the AT&T employee at the local AT&T store has never heard of the name "Nokia". They sure had no idea what OnePlus was a couple of years ago. The average US consumer has the same mindset: they overwhelmingly pick Apple or Samsung at the phone store as they walk past the token heavily-discounted LG G6. Like I said, this new Oppo might be a great device, but with the average consumer mindset and that price it may be a tough sell.

onlyfreeman
onlyfreeman Contributing Member • Posts: 869

tko wrote:

I guess the cell phone that one guy thought would be the start of the end of consumer stand alone camera market won't have its hyped zoom. Maybe it never worked?

Are you talking about that periscope-style zoom?

There was a prototype so I think it did work, why it hasn't been released yet might be another interesting question.

onlyfreeman's gear list:onlyfreeman's gear list
FastStone Photo Resizer Paint.net
teemodk Contributing Member • Posts: 670

It looks great, but that pop up is asking for trouble. The good news is that you will instantly know if your cam is hacked  

teemodk's gear list:teemodk's gear list
Ricoh GR II Canon EOS 400D Canon EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS STM
OP tko Forum Pro • Posts: 12,640

onlyfreeman wrote:

tko wrote:

I guess the cell phone that one guy thought would be the start of the end of consumer stand alone camera market won't have its hyped zoom. Maybe it never worked?

Are you talking about that periscope-style zoom?

There was a prototype so I think it did work, why it hasn't been released yet might be another interesting question.

Yes, but how well did it work? We only have the company's word. Evidently it didn't work good enough to make it into their flagship camera, implying something was off about it.

-- hide signature --

no, I won't return to read your witty reply!
professional cynic and contrarian: don't take it personally
http://500px.com/omearak

onlyfreeman
onlyfreeman Contributing Member • Posts: 869

tko wrote:

Yes, but how well did it work? We only have the company's word. Evidently it didn't work good enough to make it into their flagship camera, implying something was off about it.

It's a possibility, however it might have been problematic to manufacture on a large scale?

It certainly would be interesting to see for real.

onlyfreeman's gear list:onlyfreeman's gear list
FastStone Photo Resizer Paint.net
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads