DSLR CAMERA

Started 6 months ago | Questions
FMayra New Member • Posts: 3
DSLR CAMERA

Hi everyone,

I like photographing but clearly I’m not an expert, I’m actually just starting.

Decide to spend some money and buy a decent camera for a beginner. My first and only dslr I worked it so far it’s a Sony a200, old but really like her.

Trying to decide in between 3 diferente brands more or less same prices as qualities. Any suggestions?

Sony a68K

Nikon D3400

Canon 2000D

ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
Canon EOS Rebel T7 (EOS 2000D) Nikon D3 Nikon D3400 Pentax Optio A20 Sony Alpha DSLR-A200 Sony SLT-A68
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
bobn2
bobn2 Forum Pro • Posts: 58,608
Re: DSLR CAMERA

FMayra wrote:

Hi everyone,

Decide to spend some money and buy a decent camera for a beginner. My first and only dslr I worked it so far it’s a Sony a200, old but really like her.

Trying to decide in between 3 diferente brands more or less same prices as qualities. Any suggestions?

Sony a68K

Nikon D3400

Canon 2000D

Try them all. Buy which you like most. The A68 isn't actually a DSLR. It has an electronic viewfinder and an AF system that works through a pellicle mirror, which eats about 1/3 the light, giving it a noise disadvantage with respect to the other two. Might not be important to you, but possibly worth knowing. Also it might be worth noting that the A mount system to which it belongs doesn't have as extensive a lens range as the Canon or Nikon, and will not get any larger, since it's effectively been supplanted by Sony's E mount system.

-- hide signature --

Tinkety tonk old fruit, & down with the Nazis!
Bob

KCook
KCook Forum Pro • Posts: 14,319

My first DSLR was also the a200.  I had no use for the software Sony provided, but otherwise was able to soldier along with it.  Eventually got fed up with the dull JPGs and switched to Canon.

The a68 (and all other recent Sonys) has lots of cool JPG features (super different from the a200 in that regard).  But seems like an orphan that this point.

Canon vs Nikon has been a feud from day one.  Each has strident fans.  The models you listed are entry level.  An argument could be made that neither is as advanced as the a68.

Links for various views -

Sony Alpha user, upgrade to A68 or swap brand?

A68 vs Canon SL2 & Nikon d5300 (or other low-end C or N)

Kelly Cook

KCook's gear list:KCook's gear list
Canon EOS 50D Olympus PEN E-PL2 Olympus OM-D E-M5
garykohs
garykohs Veteran Member • Posts: 4,678

Two questions:

1. What is it about the A200 that leaves you wanting a different camera? 
  2. What A mount lenses do you currently own?

I'm a Sony (A mount and E mount) and Canon shooter. So I'll second the comments you already received about the A mount probably being phased out. It's at least not Sony's priority these days. So you might want to consider an E mount (a6000 or a6300 instead) if you're not heavily invested in quality Sony A mount lenses.

garykohs's gear list:garykohs's gear list
Konica Minolta Maxxum 7D Canon EOS-1D X Sony a99 II Sony a9 Canon EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS USM +16 more
hazelp New Member • Posts: 7

Hi,

My first camera is Nikon cool pix with optical zoom..Its still  working pretty well. 

dlevitt Contributing Member • Posts: 515

FMayra wrote:

Hi everyone,

Sony a68K

Nikon D3400

Canon 2000D

It's difficult to make a bad choice of camera hardware - the camera and lens is not likely to be a limiting factor. As was suggested in other replies, the camera / lens / viewfinder needs to feel nice [clear viewfinder, well balanced].

If you had an extensive set of lenses and other accessories, then staying compatible with the existing lenses would be a consideration - apparently the Sony A mount is almost a dead end, with the E mount as their future.

It is possible that a fixed lens camera [Sony or Panasonic] might be a good candidate to add to the list.

I did some hardware comparisons a couple of years back, and decided on the Micro 4/3 mirrorless system - mostly of the advantages of the electronic viewfinder vs the  viewfinders found on typical entry level DSLR cameras.

So, depending on what is available in local stores to play with, I would add to your list:

• Canon M series
  • Fuji XT or XE series
  • Olympus OM10.2 & Panasonic G7
  • Sony E Mount
-- hide signature --

Save the Earth! Collect the entire set!

dlevitt's gear list:dlevitt's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ50 Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX7 Olympus OM-D E-M10 II Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 R Apple Aperture +3 more
Wellington100 Forum Pro • Posts: 11,745

FMayra wrote:

Hi everyone,

Sony a68K

Nikon D3400

Canon 2000D

The Nikon has a cracking sensor but somewhat less lens choice than Canon especially when it comes to crop sensor lenses.

-- hide signature --

MOGA ( Make Olympus Great Again)

Wellington100's gear list:Wellington100's gear list
Ricoh GR Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX85 Fujifilm FinePix S5 Pro Fujifilm X-T1 +15 more
beagle1 Veteran Member • Posts: 9,160

FMayra wrote:

Hi everyone,

Sony a68K

Nikon D3400

Canon 2000D

also consider mirrorless cameras - smaller and lighter and can easily use DSLR lens

www.flickr.com/photos/mmirrorless

OP FMayra New Member • Posts: 3

garykohs wrote:

Two questions:

I'm a Sony (A mount and E mount) and Canon shooter. So I'll second the comments you already received about the A mount probably being phased out. It's at least not Sony's priority these days. So you might want to consider an E mount (a6000 or a6300 instead) if you're not heavily invested in quality Sony A mount lenses.

Hi Gary,

At the moment I’ve got a200 and lenses 18-70,

I love taking photos as I said but not really a photographer, but the machine ou very like to be me, not reaching What I want, portraits...and when I zoom lose quality and can see all the pixels on the print...

Do you have any susgestion?

OP FMayra New Member • Posts: 3

beagle1 wrote:

FMayra wrote:

Hi everyone,

Sony a68K

Nikon D3400

Canon 2000D

also consider mirrorless cameras - smaller and lighter and can easily use DSLR lens

www.flickr.com/photos/mmirrorless

Consider, this weekend I’ve tried a5100 and was very surprised feels so light but does very good shoots and macro.

May consider.

KCook
KCook Forum Pro • Posts: 14,319

Link for an article that lists the competitors for the a5100 -

https://www.dpreview.com/reviews/buying-guide-best-cameras-under-500

Kelly

KCook's gear list:KCook's gear list
Canon EOS 50D Olympus PEN E-PL2 Olympus OM-D E-M5
photosen Veteran Member • Posts: 6,105

FMayra wrote:

Hi everyone,

Sony a68K

Nikon D3400

Canon 2000D

It's easier to start with the lenses, and establish what the a200 doesn't do for you; I still use an even older Canon 30D besides my more recent model, still a great camera if it's possible to shoot under ISO 800, I really appreciate the higher ISO, better AF and LCD display, besides the other mod cons.

-- hide signature --

The best bokeh goes unnoticed, grasshopper.

photosen's gear list:photosen's gear list
Canon EOS 30D Canon EOS 70D Canon EF 70-200mm F4L USM Canon EF-S 10-22mm F3.5-4.5 USM Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM +3 more
baloo_buc Veteran Member • Posts: 9,872

You are a photographer.

You have a very bad lens with your Sony that was not a very good dSLR either.

Any newer camera will outperform it.

I would advise for Nikon D5300 with 18-105 mm VR. It may cost you a little more but the lens will give you flexibility also for portraits. Sony had so many U-turns in the latest years I would not get involved with it.

Canon 200D is a fine camera too but it has an awful grip. Sony SLT will block 30% of the light and hamper your low light capability. I replaced D3400 with D5300 since the latter has a better AF system and it has not so many handicaps as the former.

https://www.dxomark.com/Cameras/Compare/Side-by-side/Canon-EOS-200D-versus-Sony-SLT-Alpha-68-versus-Nikon-D5300___1171_1055_919

-- hide signature --

Victor
Bucuresti, Romania

baloo_buc's gear list:baloo_buc's gear list
Olympus PEN E-PL5 Nikon D7200 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 16-85mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR Tokina AT-X Pro 12-24mm f/4 DX II Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-140mm F3.5-5.6G ED VR +14 more
Bob Contributing Member • Posts: 690

bobn2 wrote:

FMayra wrote:

Hi everyone,

Sony a68K

Nikon D3400

Canon 2000D

Try them all. Buy which you like most. The A68 isn't actually a DSLR. It has an electronic viewfinder and an AF system that works through a pellicle mirror, which eats about 1/3 the light, giving it a noise disadvantage with respect to the other two. Might not be important to you, but possibly worth knowing. Also it might be worth noting that the A mount system to which it belongs doesn't have as extensive a lens range as the Canon or Nikon, and will not get any larger, since it's effectively been supplanted by Sony's E mount system.

I agree w Bob.  It will boil down to which one feels best in your hands.  The quality of your photos will ultimately depend on your skill, not your choice of these cameras.

Bob's gear list:Bob's gear list
Nikon D810 Hasselblad XCD 120mm F3.5 Macro
kcdogger Senior Member • Posts: 2,118

Do you have some Sony/Minolta A mount lenses? If so, get the A68 and fill in your lenses with now economical Minolta A mount lenses. I'm personally not particularly a fan of Sony, but the Sony/Minolta A mounts do take very nice pictures.  I do have an A77 and a couple of A57s, and a bunch of Minolta and Sony lenses. A nice Sony kit is the Sony 16-50 f2.8, the Sony 55-300, and the Sony 50 f1.8 (or Sony 35 f1.8). Or the Minolta 35-70 f4 (or Minolta 24-50 f4), Minolta 70-210 f4 (Beer can) and a Minolta 50 f1.7. Or mix and match - many older Minolta lenses to choose from, and most are quite inexpensive.  The Minolta 28-105 is nice and the Minolta 35-105 is stellar, for example.

I also have a Nikon D3300, which I imagine is quite similar to the D3400 on your list. With that camera I use the Nikon lenses - 18-55, 55-200, 55-300, and 35 f1.8. Makes a nice kit also and picture quality is nice.

I also have a Canon 60D, but that's pretty big and heavy (like the Sony A77), but I know nothing about the Canon D2000.

So, it is whichever is economically feasible - most bang for the buck, etc. Of course you'll want to upgrade when you go pro.

Peace. ....and Best Wishes.

John

kcdogger's gear list:kcdogger's gear list
Olympus Tough TG-4 Nikon Coolpix P610 Olympus OM-D E-M10 Olympus E-M1 Sony SLT-A57 +5 more
garykohs
garykohs Veteran Member • Posts: 4,678

FMayra wrote:

garykohs wrote:

Two questions:

Hi Gary,

At the moment I’ve got a200 and lenses 18-70,

I love taking photos as I said but not really a photographer, but the machine ou very like to be me, not reaching What I want, portraits...and when I zoom lose quality and can see all the pixels on the print...

Do you have any susgestion?

If you are primarily interested in portrait shooting any modern DSLR (or mirrorless ILC) will be a big improvement. Of the three choices you mentioned I would choose the Nikon D3400. It - and the Sony - have a better image sensor than the Canon and it has a faster burst rate in case you want to shoot some sports or wildlife in the future. [And I'm assuming the Sony A mount is a dead end, although I and my A99ii hope not!]

I assume that when you say "when I zoom lose quality and can see all the pixels on the print" you mean you are cropping the image in post processing. (Zooming with the lens cannot produce this effect.) The problem is that you are cropping a 10 MP file. Any of your three choices has a 24 MP sensor, so you can crop more without the pixilation you're currently experiencing.

However, you want to be able to avoid severe cropping in post processing by using more focal zoom. In other words, you want to zoom with the lens rather than cropping the picture after the fact. So you don't want the 18-55 kit lens. Instead I would start with a good, used longer zoom, like the Nikon 18-200 VR. (I owned this lens once and took some good portraits with it on a Nikon D200.)

You do have to be careful buying older used lenses for the D3400 because it does not have a screw drive, meaning it cannot autofocus with older screw drive lenses. So you need a lens with an electronic focus motor in the lens. You also do not have image stabilization in camera - no "steady shot inside" - with any Nikon or Canon, so you need to buy stabilized lenses - Nikon VR, Sigma OS or Tamron VC.

Those are my thoughts. Good luck with your choice!

garykohs's gear list:garykohs's gear list
Konica Minolta Maxxum 7D Canon EOS-1D X Sony a99 II Sony a9 Canon EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS USM +16 more
baloo_buc Veteran Member • Posts: 9,872

You are the marketing department dream. It seems you missed Pentax and Fujifilm but their marketing departments hope that is just an oversight and soon you will correct that flaw.

-- hide signature --

Victor
Bucuresti, Romania

baloo_buc's gear list:baloo_buc's gear list
Olympus PEN E-PL5 Nikon D7200 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 16-85mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR Tokina AT-X Pro 12-24mm f/4 DX II Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-140mm F3.5-5.6G ED VR +14 more
kcdogger Senior Member • Posts: 2,118

No.  I don't have those brands,  Since I don't know anything about them, I didn't recommend them.  I have Canon (60D, Nikon (D3300), Sony A77 and A57) and micro 4/3(OMD EM1 v1 and a bunch of others).

Since the OP has been shooting Sony, and probably has some Sony/Minolta lenses, seemed like a logical and economical way to go since he/she is not planning to "go pro," and just wants to shoot good pictures.    Pentax and Fuji, by all reports, and excellent, even superior camera brands.

Sony/Minolta mount cameras have been put on the back burner by Sony as they concentrate on their E Mount full frame line, but the existing Sony/Minolta A mount cameras still take good pictures, have lots of features, and the A68 should serve the OP well until he/she decides what features he/she needs or wants for the type of shooting he/she does. No slight intended.

Peace.

John

kcdogger's gear list:kcdogger's gear list
Olympus Tough TG-4 Nikon Coolpix P610 Olympus OM-D E-M10 Olympus E-M1 Sony SLT-A57 +5 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads