Common mistakes for Sony/mirrorless newbies?

Started 4 months ago | Questions
Peech New Member • Posts: 13
Common mistakes for Sony/mirrorless newbies?

Hi, a few months ago I bought my A9 and switched to mirrorless after shooting SLR/DSLRs for more than 20 years. Still getting used to how this works.
I just realized that the reason I've been having trouble with AF in low-light (I shoot a lot in restaurants at dinner time) was that I chose to have the setting effect ON in LiveView. As I tend to shoot food at f/5.6 even with f/2.8 lenses, this meant that I was losing a lot of light while focusing as the lens is stopped down - something that doesn't happen in DSLRs. I've now corrected that issue.
So it got me thinking: are there other common mistakes people make when first switching to mirrorless, which aren't issues when shooting DSLRs?
Many thanks in advance for your help and advice.

Peech's gear list:Peech's gear list
Canon EOS 6D Canon EOS 7D Sony a9 Sony FE 90mm F2.8 macro Sony FE 24-70mm F2.8 GM +8 more
ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
Sony a9
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Zefah Regular Member • Posts: 241
Re: Common mistakes for Sony/mirrorless newbies?

Not really a mistake, but it's good to know how the Sony autofocus system works and what its limitations are. Here's a nice video on the subject.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cqfj6bao5XQ

Zefah's gear list:Zefah's gear list
Fujifilm X100F Sony RX100 V Sony a9 Sony FE 35mm F1.4 Sony FE 35mm F2.8 +8 more
Beatsy
Beatsy Regular Member • Posts: 418

Thinking Sony mirrorless will only backup your DSLR - not become your primary camera. A mistake that very quickly self-corrects 

Beatsy's gear list:Beatsy's gear list
Sony a9 Sony Alpha a7R II Sony FE 70-200mm F2.8 GM OSS Sony FE 24-70mm F2.8 GM Sony Carl Zeiss Planar T* 50mm F1.4 ZA SSM +13 more
EcoR1 Regular Member • Posts: 120

It seems to be a very common misconception , that adapted lenses behave as good or almost as good as native lenses in all AF situations. They do not. When investing to mirrorless system you should understand that in the end native lenses are what you want. MF-lenses are a different story though.

Rol Lei Nut Veteran Member • Posts: 3,708

EcoR1 wrote:

It seems to be a very common misconception , that adapted lenses behave as good or almost as good as native lenses in all AF situations. They do not. When investing to mirrorless system you should understand that in the end native lenses are what you want. MF-lenses are a different story though.

It seems to be a very common misconception , that native lenses are the only way to go...

vpilot
vpilot Regular Member • Posts: 381

Not reading the manual (well, that might be an issue when shooting DSLR too).

vpilot

vpilot's gear list:vpilot's gear list
Sony RX100 II Sony a6300 Sony Alpha a7R II Sony a7 III Sony E PZ 18-105mm F4 G OSS +9 more
noggin2k1
noggin2k1 Senior Member • Posts: 1,936

The biggest mistake I see Sony users making is baiting Canon & Nikon users on these forums.

noggin2k1's gear list:noggin2k1's gear list
Sony a9 Sony a6500 Sony FE 24-70mm F2.8 GM Sony FE 70-200mm F2.8 GM OSS Sony FE 35mm F1.4 +3 more
tommiejeep Veteran Member • Posts: 6,069

All depends on what you shoot.  My DSLR has another DSLR  for second camera and my Sony a7rii has a a7iii as second camera.  Different uses

-- hide signature --

Anticipate the Light and wing it when you get it wrong but always have fun
Tom
http://images.nikonians.org/galleries/showgallery.php/cat/500/ppuser/165169

Dennis from Florida
Dennis from Florida Regular Member • Posts: 182

noggin2k1 wrote:

The biggest mistake I see Sony users making is baiting Canon & Nikon users on these forums.

....into thinking that some day in the near future, Canon and Nikon will also have a similar or better technology.

Dennis from Florida's gear list:Dennis from Florida's gear list
Sony Alpha a7R III Sony 70-300mm F4.5-5.6 G SSM Sony FE 12-24mm F4 Sony FE 85mm F1.8 Sony FE 24-105mm F4 +3 more
KwhyChang Veteran Member • Posts: 5,852
Finding the Perfect Lens By Trying Multiple Copies

People trying out 5 copies of lenses to find the perfect copy think this will somehow improve their photography.

-- hide signature --

Dave

noggin2k1
noggin2k1 Senior Member • Posts: 1,936

Dennis from Florida wrote:

noggin2k1 wrote:

....into thinking that some day in the near future, Canon and Nikon will also have a similar or better technology.

I'm hoping that comment is meant as a joke, because that sort of attitude is the problem with these forums.

All manufacturers create kit capable of taking world class pictures, it just so happens that for us Sony users, Sony make the stuff that best meets our individual needs. It's cringeworthy when I see the "there's no point even taking a picture if you're not using Sony" sort of comments.

noggin2k1's gear list:noggin2k1's gear list
Sony a9 Sony a6500 Sony FE 24-70mm F2.8 GM Sony FE 70-200mm F2.8 GM OSS Sony FE 35mm F1.4 +3 more
MisterHairy Senior Member • Posts: 2,255

Thinking that Sony now has a comprehensive lens selection.

Thinking that Sony will improve features through firmware updates.

Thinking that Sony has a competent software engineering team for their cameras.

-- hide signature --

Really beautiful photograph!

MisterHairy's gear list:MisterHairy's gear list
Fujifilm X100F Sony Alpha a7R III Sony a7 III Sony FE 55mm F1.8 Sony FE 85mm F1.8 +7 more
Lightshow
Lightshow Veteran Member • Posts: 6,519

Peech wrote:

Hi, a few months ago I bought my A9 and switched to mirrorless after shooting SLR/DSLRs for more than 20 years. Still getting used to how this works.
I just realized that the reason I've been having trouble with AF in low-light (I shoot a lot in restaurants at dinner time) was that I chose to have the setting effect ON in LiveView. As I tend to shoot food at f/5.6 even with f/2.8 lenses, this meant that I was losing a lot of light while focusing as the lens is stopped down - something that doesn't happen in DSLRs. I've now corrected that issue.
So it got me thinking: are there other common mistakes people make when first switching to mirrorless, which aren't issues when shooting DSLRs?
Many thanks in advance for your help and advice.

If you're shooting in controlled light, then Setting Effect On isn't really needed once you set and lock your exposure, whereas if the lighting is changing or you are varying the exposure it is far more useful to judge exposure with it on, though you could substitute it with the histogram if you don't have enough light for AF.

-- hide signature --

A Manual Focus Junky...
One photographers junk lens is an artists favorite tool.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/lightshow-photography/
[My Lens list](http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/viewprofile.php?Action=viewprofile&username=LightShow)
####Where's my FF NEX-7 ?????
Firmware request:
-A button map for toggling the EVF & LCD
-Still waiting for the minimum shutter speed with auto ISO for my NEX-7 and A7r. I know it will never happen.
-Customize the display screen layout, I'd love to have both Histogram and level at the same time.
-More peaking options, being able to set peaking sensitivity and a threshold level.
-An RGB overlay on the histogram https://c1.staticflickr.com/1/602/20236258313_c604dd9522_n.jpg
-An option to return the focus assist zoom to one button press
-An option to return to how the NEX-7 handled playback, ie. center button to zoom, then you could use the control dial to zoom in and out, then center button to exit the zoom mode.

Lightshow's gear list:Lightshow's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-7 Sony Alpha a7R Voigtlander 15mm F4.5 Super Wide Heliar Leica APO-Summicron-M 90mm f/2 ASPH Leica Elmarit-M 24mm f/2.8 ASPH +20 more
Hank Radt Contributing Member • Posts: 595

vpilot wrote:

Not reading the manual (well, that might be an issue when shooting DSLR too).

vpilot

Agree. But would add that worth getting a good guide (I've used Friedman for my a6300 and a7R2, others like Busch) to really take advantage of all the capabilities.

Hank Radt's gear list:Hank Radt's gear list
Sony a6300 Sony Alpha a7R II Sony E 10-18mm F4 OSS Zeiss Batis 85mm F1.8 Sony Vario-Tessar T* E 16-70mm F4 ZA OSS +7 more
Hank Radt Contributing Member • Posts: 595

MisterHairy wrote:

What lenses are you missing: http://briansmith.com/sony-a7-a7r-a7s-lens-guide/ ?

Hank Radt's gear list:Hank Radt's gear list
Sony a6300 Sony Alpha a7R II Sony E 10-18mm F4 OSS Zeiss Batis 85mm F1.8 Sony Vario-Tessar T* E 16-70mm F4 ZA OSS +7 more

Hank Radt wrote:

MisterHairy wrote:

What lenses are you missing: http://briansmith.com/sony-a7-a7r-a7s-lens-guide/ ?

Good quality tilt/swing and shift lenses for professional landscape and product photography.

Sony is now great for many things but these are branches of paid work which are accustomed to having those movements available and the benefits are very real.

Third Party lens makers are doing an amazing job of propping up the Sony brand but I guess that they don’t see Sony as having enough of a foothold in those markets to warrant the development of a range of movements lenses. A pity because the cameras are eminently well suited to product and fine landscape photography.

[yes, yes, I do realise that these have traditionally been the realms of medium format (and larger) but there is enough of a 35mm segment to support CaNikon maintaining T/S product lines.]

-- hide signature --

Fujifilm X100F Sony Alpha a7R III Sony a7 III Sony FE 55mm F1.8 Sony FE 85mm F1.8 +7 more

MisterHairy wrote:

Hank Radt wrote:

MisterHairy wrote:

Good quality tilt/swing and shift lenses for professional landscape and product photography.

Sony is now great for many things but these are branches of paid work which are accustomed to having those movements available and the benefits are very real.

Third Party lens makers are doing an amazing job of propping up the Sony brand but I guess that they don’t see Sony as having enough of a foothold in those markets to warrant the development of a range of movements lenses. A pity because the cameras are eminently well suited to product and fine landscape photography.

[yes, yes, I do realise that these have traditionally been the realms of medium format (and larger) but there is enough of a 35mm segment to support CaNikon maintaining T/S product lines.]

By the way, I did actually say “Thinking that Sony now has a comprehensive lens selection” and the vast majority of the lenses on the very cool link are third party. You will find that off-brand lens ownership in professional use is low.

Now, I do realise and accept that I am the only one who is mentioning professional use and the OP’s question did not imply this in the slightest so I do agree that I am subverting the question slightly. Only slightly though.

-- hide signature --

vpilot
vpilot Regular Member • Posts: 381

Friedman is a genius.

vpilot

vpilot's gear list:vpilot's gear list
Sony RX100 II Sony a6300 Sony Alpha a7R II Sony a7 III Sony E PZ 18-105mm F4 G OSS +9 more
WalterJ1959 Regular Member • Posts: 407

I need to shoot video in Slog2 or Slog3 but I have no idea why or how and I have not read anything on Picture Profiles. Gamma Curves or Color Space. Please Help!

Profiles http://helpguide.sony.net/di/pp/v1/en/contents/TP0000909109.html

General help

http://www.xdcam-user.com/camera-setup/a7-a7s-a7r-and-other-a7-series-cameras/

How can I uncompress Log to rec 709?

https://www.sonycreativesoftware.com/download/catalystbrowse

WalterJ1959's gear list:WalterJ1959's gear list
Sony Alpha a7R III Sony E 50mm F1.8 OSS Sony FE 90mm F2.8 macro Canon EF 70-200mm F2.8L IS II USM Canon EF 135mm F2L USM +4 more
Arizona Sunset
Arizona Sunset Senior Member • Posts: 3,785

Mistakes that I made alone the way:

• Tricking the camera to autofocus effectively on horizontal contrast points. Hint: they all like vertical, contrasty lines.
  • Not customizing the Fn menu and C buttons to your needs.
  • Not using the custom shooting mode presets.
  • Recording in SLOG when I am searching for minutes of spare time each day.  Color grading takes time.
  • Waiting five years for a native 35mm f2 AF.
 Arizona Sunset's gear list:Arizona Sunset's gear list
Canon G7 X II Sony RX100 VI Sony RX1R II
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads