Do you have to be an extrovert to be a photographer?

Started 2 months ago | Discussions
Lepewhi Contributing Member • Posts: 871
Do you have to be an extrovert to be a photographer?

Please, hear me out.

I play in a community orchestra.  We are trying to update our internal player's site, pictures of concerts, trips, candides... We need someone to do it.  I am an introvert.  The people that suggested doing it use phones and such, ok good pictures.  But, thinking of trying to outgrow my natural comfort zone.  I know that there are preferences for photographers.  But, I feel embarrassed that I'm the only one that actually practices photography and is a member of 3 groups and feel weird leaving it to Iphones.  Are there any introverts out there, and how do you deal with taking pictures of people/groups, or do you just not bother?  Thanks

-- hide signature --

Slippery when wet.

Lepewhi's gear list:Lepewhi's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ200 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G6 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX85
KirillQPR Regular Member • Posts: 108
Re: Do you have to be an extrovert to be a photographer?

I am an introvert and I prefer landscapes, urban decay, basically anything that does not contain people. I would hazard a guess that extroverts are better at street photography, portraits and such. Horses for courses and there is plenty room in photography for both introverts and extroverts.

KirillQPR's gear list:KirillQPR's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM1 Olympus OM-D E-M10 II Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 R Samyang 7.5mm F3.5 UMC Fisheye MFT +3 more
Ranlee Senior Member • Posts: 1,648

Lepewhi wrote:

Please, hear me out.

I play in a community orchestra. We are trying to update our internal player's site, pictures of concerts, trips, candides... We need someone to do it. I am an introvert. The people that suggested doing it use phones and such, ok good pictures. But, thinking of trying to outgrow my natural comfort zone. I know that there are preferences for photographers. But, I feel embarrassed that I'm the only one that actually practices photography and is a member of 3 groups and feel weird leaving it to Iphones. Are there any introverts out there, and how do you deal with taking pictures of people/groups, or do you just not bother? Thanks

I figure life is full of uncomfortable situations I have no control over and I deal with them as I have to but life is too short to push myself into even more of them so I don't.

Ranlee's gear list:Ranlee's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX8 Olympus PEN-F Panasonic Lumix DC-G9 Panasonic Lumix G X Vario 35-100mm F2.8 OIS Panasonic Leica 100-400mm F4.0-6.3 ASPH +4 more
DominicVII Regular Member • Posts: 426

Yes, if you photograph people you need to be an extrovert; if getting a 'no' is humiliating or embarrassing to you, you have a severe handicap. I like shooting portraits, but I never ever shot a stranger. I once had a rather awkward situation where a stranger, upon seeing me carrying a camera, told me, 'I don't want my pictures taken.' I felt like telling that stranger, 'with that face of yours, I wouldn't take pictures of you even if you begged me to.'

DominicVII's gear list:DominicVII's gear list
Pentax K-7 Pentax K-5 Olympus OM-D E-M10 II Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 17mm 1:2.8 Pancake Pentax smc DA 40mm F2.8 Limited +4 more
kaphinga
kaphinga Senior Member • Posts: 1,923

Lepewhi wrote:

Please, hear me out.

I play in a community orchestra. We are trying to update our internal player's site, pictures of concerts, trips, candides... We need someone to do it. I am an introvert. The people that suggested doing it use phones and such, ok good pictures. But, thinking of trying to outgrow my natural comfort zone. I know that there are preferences for photographers. But, I feel embarrassed that I'm the only one that actually practices photography and is a member of 3 groups and feel weird leaving it to Iphones. Are there any introverts out there, and how do you deal with taking pictures of people/groups, or do you just not bother? Thanks

I am an introvert, and I like to take pictures of people.  A few thoughts:

*  You will be taking pictures of friends, most of whom are amenable to having their pictures taken. Nobody is going to get angry with you.

* Start with the folks you know best, which will give you  more latitude for practicing poses.

* Stay positive and give your subjects plenty of encouragement.  Tell them they look great, etc.

* I usually try to be straightforward about why I am interested in taking someone's picture. This doesn't apply in your case.  They all know why you want to take their picture.

I may think of more things later, but that's a start.

kaphinga's gear list:kaphinga's gear list
Olympus E-M1 Nikon D750 Olympus E-M5 II Apple iPhone 7 Plus Olympus OM-D E-M10 +16 more
kravemir Regular Member • Posts: 135
Confidence and positive attitude

As a photographer, you're not going to be a center of audience... You're there to do your job, to capture event and people. Nobody expect from a photographer to do talks or to uncover his personal life and ideas to others

You just need confidence, when you need to order people to arrange somehow, or to get them together. And, keep positive attitude to not spoil the mood. Others leaders will help you organizing people, it there are lots of them.

As photographer, other people value you based on photographies you make,.. So, do your job, be silent, keep positive attitude, talk (order others) when needed. Others don't care about who you are.

-- hide signature --

Use devices as tools to create a value,.. Otherwise, turn device off and enjoy beautiful moments of an analog life!

kravemir's gear list:kravemir's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX85 Panasonic Lumix G Vario HD 12-32mm F3.5-5.6 Mega OIS Panasonic Lumix G 42.5mm F1.7
Giiba
Giiba Regular Member • Posts: 372

Of course you don't need to be an extrovert. There is a difference between personability and extrovertism, in fact a lot of extroverts are just a##hats.

What you need is the ability to interact effectively with the people you are photographing, and that involves giving effective directions to obtain the needed pictures in an efficient manner. You know these people so you don't need to work around comfort issues, just agree and have fun.

Giiba's gear list:Giiba's gear list
Olympus E-M1 Olympus 40-150mm F2.8 Pro Panasonic Leica DG Summilux 15mm F1.7 ASPH Olympus 8mm F1.8 Fisheye Pro Panasonic 8-18mm F2.8-4 +1 more
Stereodesign
Stereodesign Regular Member • Posts: 108

Whether introvert or extrovert its something you can learn to do.

At the end of the day we are all human so there is nothing alien at all in talking to another human.

Be polite, be yourself and you will be surprised how nice people are.

Stereodesign's gear list:Stereodesign's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Canon EOS 5D Mark IV Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM Canon EF 16-35mm F2.8L II USM Canon EF 24-70mm f/2.8L USM +5 more
baxters Veteran Member • Posts: 5,156

No. This is a great opportunity to do something new for you. Do it well and let your work speak for you.

baxters's gear list:baxters's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM1 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 70-300mm 1:4.0-5.6
Malachicat7
Malachicat7 Forum Member • Posts: 67

No.

Introversion is a bit different than being shy. I think introversion means valuing your interior experience more than exterior experience but not devaluing exterior, including social, experience. Self confidence can allow you to herd cats (group photos), take street pictures or whatever and keep your introversion intact.

Street Photo taken by an introvert regardless of subjects happiness.

Ted

Malachicat7's gear list:Malachicat7's gear list
Sigma dp3 Quattro Fujifilm X100F Olympus E-M5 II Sony Alpha a7R II Sigma sd Quattro +2 more
RED i Contributing Member • Posts: 898
Nope

I'm an introvert but love shooting at nightclubs and raves.

RED i's gear list:RED i's gear list
Olympus E-M1 Olympus 7-14mm F2.8 Pro Olympus 8mm F1.8 Fisheye Pro
JaKing Senior Member • Posts: 3,675

I'm very much an extrovert, but feel extremely uncomfortable taking photos of strangers.

As others have said, these are people whom you know and (presumably) like. Conversely, they know and (presumably) like you.

You will be OK.

-- hide signature --

br, john, from you know where
My gear list and sordid past are here: https://www.dpreview.com/members/1558378718/overview
Gallery: https://www.canopuscomputing.com.au/zen2/page/gallery/

JaKing's gear list:JaKing's gear list
Olympus E-M1 Olympus E-M1 II Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 14-42mm F3.5-5.6 EZ Olympus 12-100mm F4.0 Olympus E-1 +21 more
Andy M
Andy M Regular Member • Posts: 344

Worth a watch https://youtu.be/x_5aoPUSudI

-- hide signature --

Andy

Andy M's gear list:Andy M's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX8 Olympus E-M1 II Panasonic GH5 Sony Alpha a7R III
Humansvillian
Humansvillian Senior Member • Posts: 1,597

If you are a member of the group, you'll get along as well with the group taking their pictures as you do watching somebody else snap a group picture of you with a smartphone.

Besides, you have a tripod, not a selfie stick, and can get in the group photograph yourself.

And your group will just love your photographs.

My best solution for your problem, is to find an extrovert in your group that's a whiz on social media, and supply them with lots of great photos.

-- hide signature --

Humansville is a town in the Missouri Ozarks

Humansvillian's gear list:Humansvillian's gear list
Olympus PEN E-PL1 Olympus PEN E-PM1 Olympus PEN E-PM2 Olympus OM-D E-M10 Olympus E-M5 II +31 more
richiebee
richiebee Veteran Member • Posts: 3,349

I'm a shy introvert and I love photographing people; individually and in groups.  I'm not so keen on shooting candids at events like receptions...  feels kind of like street shooting.  But I'm getting better with practice. I do love posed shoots though.  And concerts, but that's a whole other genre.

richiebee's gear list:richiebee's gear list
Nikon D3S Nikon D610 Nikon D500 Nikon D850 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED +17 more
glassoholic
glassoholic Senior Member • Posts: 2,639

I am an introvert yet I enjoy and am very practised at shooting weddings. But I am not comfortable doing street photography (strangers) even though all the people at a wedding are strangers. Probably the contract I have at a wedding gives me the confidence to do my thing. I enjoy a solitary landscape or BIF shoot more than a wedding though. So I think there are no rules for personality types... so long as you are enjoying the shoot.

-- hide signature --

M43 equivalence: "Twice the fun with half the weight"
"You are a long time dead" -
Credit to whoever said that first and my wife for saying it to me. Make the best you can of every day!

OP Lepewhi Contributing Member • Posts: 871

Thanks, I loved it. Lots to think about. I guess I have to be myself.

-- hide signature --

Slippery when wet.

JaKing Senior Member • Posts: 3,675

Lepewhi wrote:

Thanks, I loved it. Lots to think about. I guess I have to be myself.

Yes.

"This above all, to thine own self be true

Then it follows as the night the day ... "

Pretty wise man, Bill Shakespeare ...

JaKing's gear list:JaKing's gear list
Olympus E-M1 Olympus E-M1 II Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 14-42mm F3.5-5.6 EZ Olympus 12-100mm F4.0 Olympus E-1 +21 more
Velocity of Sound Regular Member • Posts: 473
My own experience...

I'm both shy and an introvert. I love the idea of doing one on one portraits with all sorts of people, but haven't moved beyond doing portraits of family.

Group photography is a different story, particularly when it's a group that you belong to. I've done photography for work-related functions, both more formal and more candid. While it feels weird to take a photo of a stranger on the street - or like you've gotten away with something if you pull it off unnoticed - taking photos of a group on a social outing is more or less expected.

Then there's the confidence aspect. I have confidence in my ability to maneuver the camera that I can get photos that will blow away those from my smartphone-toting colleagues (and I have the artistic sense to avoid sharing those photos that are unflattering), so I feel that people will ultimately want me to share my photos, and even if they feel bashful at first, they'll appreciate the candids that I take.  (And indeed, that's the reception I've received in the past, and it helps me to keep doing it in the future.)

There's also the confidence that comes with seeing how people respond to the "authority" vested by holding a camera.  For a more formal group photo, the idea of barking orders at people to look at you or reposition a certain way can seem intimidating... until you realize that people will do it with only mild grumbling, at worst.  In general, people are happy to have these photos as valuable keepsakes of time spent together with colleagues and friends.

Basically, you do it a few times, and the positive reception you're likely to meet will propel you forward to keep doing it.

Some other things that help are flexible lenses.  I love using my 17mm f/1.2 and 25mm f/1.2 with family, but it'd require me to get far too close for those work event photos.  I like the 12-100mm f/4 for those, and I find that for photos of only one or two people I tend to shoot in the 40-100mm range, which may help to give you a sense of the distance between me and the photo subject.  Personal space has a lot of influence in terms of how "confrontational" it can feel to take photos of someone else; if I ever buy the 40-150mm f/2.8, that would possibly become my preferred event lens.

Lastly, silent shooting is superb for candid shots.  If your camera body supports it, switching to the electronic shutter and disabling the autofocus confirmation beep allows you to fire off a shot in near-total silence (using a modern µ4/3 lens, as well; autofocus and aperture are also almost entirely silent).  That, too, may help your confidence in rounding off a bunch of photos.

Enjoy, and when in doubt, just remember: the people you're photographing will likely be thankful for the memories, and cherish them!

Velocity of Sound's gear list:Velocity of Sound's gear list
Olympus E-M1 II Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 50mm 1:2.0 Macro Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 35-100mm 1:2.0 Sigma 150mm F2.8 EX DG Macro HSM Olympus 40-150mm F2.8 Pro +6 more
OP Lepewhi Contributing Member • Posts: 871
Re: My own experience...

Good points. Thanks

-- hide signature --

Slippery when wet.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads