Shutter release button off (Live View Only).

Started Jun 7, 2018 | Questions
Georgios
Georgios Regular Member • Posts: 115
Shutter release button off (Live View Only).

I have a K-5 and I would like any advise / suggestion how to use this feature beneficially. The feature "Shutter release button off (Live View Only)" is described in the official K-5 manual page 286 at the bottom.

Georgios's gear list:Georgios's gear list
Nikon D90 Sony Alpha DSLR-A700 Nikon D5000 Sony Alpha DSLR-A550 Sony Alpha DSLR-A580 +29 more
ANSWER:
Pentax K-5
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
soheil Veteran Member • Posts: 3,025
Re: Shutter release button off (Live View Only).

I'm not sure I'm getting you right but it's meant to be used whenever you don't want pressing the shutter button in LV changes the focus from what you want to what camera likes and makes the camera just take the shot without refocusing.

-- hide signature --

Regards,
Soheil
------------------------------
It's the singer not the song.

soheil's gear list:soheil's gear list
Pentax Optio 330GS Pentax MX-1 Pentax K-7 Pentax K-5 Pentax K-5 IIs +19 more
SungiBr
SungiBr Regular Member • Posts: 178

Georgios wrote:

I have a K-5 and I would like any advise / suggestion how to use this feature beneficially. The feature "Shutter release button off (Live View Only)" is described in the official K-5 manual page 286 at the bottom.

I guess you want tips on the way this works and when use it.

Well, I used it extensively with mine K5II, and have this to say:

The feature does the way it is described. When in live view, the shutter half-press is disabled, hence shutter button will just release the shutter. Af in live view, with this option will only be made by the AF button on the back.

So, as live view is somewhat slow and clumsy with K5 series, you could take live view pictures faster, if the subject is already in focus, either manually or previously focused, as the camera won't attempt to refocus as soon as you hit the shutter to take the picture.

I do photojournalism and detaching AF from shutter button in live view make things a lot faster, specially with camera overhead, when I have to use live view to frame and need to be fast to capture what I need.

I recently bought a K3 and to my disbelief, it doesn't have that feature. I don't know why ricoh did removed that feature on k-3 series. It's a real led down to me.

-- hide signature --

"I love deadlines. I love the whooshing noise they make as they pass by"
www.instagram.com/roberto_sungi/
500px.com/roberto_sungi

SungiBr's gear list:SungiBr's gear list
Pentax K10D Pentax K-5 II Pentax K-3 Sigma 70-200mm F2.8 EX DG Macro HSM II Pentax smc DA* 16-50mm F2.8 ED AL (IF) SDM +4 more
Georgios
OP Georgios Regular Member • Posts: 115

The feature does the way it is described. When in live view, the shutter half-press is disabled, hence shutter button will just release the shutter. Af in live view, with this option will only be made by the AF button on the back.

So, as live view is somewhat slow and clumsy with K5 series, you could take live view pictures faster, if the subject is already in focus, either manually or previously focused, as the camera won't attempt to refocus as soon as you hit the shutter to take the picture.

I do photojournalism and detaching AF from shutter button in live view make things a lot faster, specially with camera overhead, when I have to use live view to frame and need to be fast to capture what I need.

Thank you for the reply SungiBr, I appreciate your opinion as you have used the feature extensively.

So when you are doing photojournalism, which I like to do too once in a while, you have already prefocused from the viewfinder half pressing the shutter release button and then you switch to Live View put the camera overhead and snap the picture? Or you autofocus overhead with the back AF button? If yes then in the viewfinder mode you will have simultaneously two AF buttons active. Just having the back focus button enabled and the shutter release button completely disabled  would do the same job and make this feature unnecessary. If when you put the camera overhead you are in manual focus then AF from shutter release button would be already disabled and there would be no need to have this feature enabled.

Can you describe a little more your technique to me please?

Nikon D90 Sony Alpha DSLR-A700 Nikon D5000 Sony Alpha DSLR-A550 Sony Alpha DSLR-A580 +29 more
SungiBr
SungiBr Regular Member • Posts: 178

Georgios wrote:

So when you are doing photojournalism, which I like to do too once in a while, you have already prefocused from the viewfinder half pressing the shutter release button and then you switch to Live View put the camera overhead and snap the picture?

Yes. Pretty much this way. For me, I found it the better aproach. Also, if you was already shooting a scene with VF, then switching to LV will allow for a faster shooting

Or you autofocus overhead with the back AF button? If yes then in the viewfinder mode you will have simultaneously two AF buttons active.

Yes, but also depends on situation. If already in focus or not. And yes, two ways to AF with VF.

Just having the back focus button enabled and the shutter release button completely disabled would do the same job and make this feature unnecessary.

Depends on you. I prefer VF shotting, so shutter button for me works better. Others like to use back button in VF. But LV is very useful, so I disable shutter AF only in LV. So I only use back button for AF, in LV. with focus preset before LV, and if the subjet distance doesn't change, you just enter LV and snap the pic.

If when you put the camera overhead you are in manual focus then AF from shutter release button would be already disabled and there would be no need to have this feature enabled.

Only if you prefer manual focus. When in MF, either option will be disabled anyway, so that comes down to how you like to shoot.

Botton line here is the flexibility of choose the way you like to set up the AF behavior. It may be silly to others, but as I said, they removed the feature form K3, wch I think is a bad move from Richo engineers.

-- hide signature --

"I love deadlines. I love the whooshing noise they make as they pass by"
www.instagram.com/roberto_sungi/
500px.com/roberto_sungi

SungiBr's gear list:SungiBr's gear list
Pentax K10D Pentax K-5 II Pentax K-3 Sigma 70-200mm F2.8 EX DG Macro HSM II Pentax smc DA* 16-50mm F2.8 ED AL (IF) SDM +4 more
selected answer This post was selected as the answer by the original poster.
Georgios
OP Georgios Regular Member • Posts: 115
Flexibility of AF modes.

Thank you a lot SuniBr, your answer was analytical and most useful. I will try your methods.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads