Does the Oly MC-14 fit onto a Metabones Canon EF-MFT converter

Started Jun 6, 2018 | Questions
Ken Croft Senior Member • Posts: 1,695
Does the Oly MC-14 fit onto a Metabones Canon EF-MFT converter

Sorry but this is a question to be answered by those who actually know the answer, not the arm-chair theorists with second hand information.

I have a Metabones Canon EF to MFT convertor, the one with no glass,  that goes between my Canon 400mm 5.6L and my Oly M1/i. I can use my Canon 1.4 extender with this combination but I have never been totally happy with the performace of the Canon extender even on a Canon body. I think that I have read somewhere that the Olympus MC-14 does a better job so I guess that it should fit the Metabones.

Can anyone confirm that the Metabones will plug into the Oly convertor MC-14. I see no reason why it should not, but I would like to know from someone who has done it.

Many thanks.

Ken C

ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
Horst Kretzschmar Regular Member • Posts: 461
Re: Does the Oly MC-14 fit onto a Metabones Canon EF-MFT converter

Without mechanical changes on the Metabones it cannot fit, because the Oly 1.4 has a special form to transmit additonal informations from the 4/300 for ex. to the body on its side to the lens. So you would have to mill off (with a Dremel ) a part of the Metabones to use it in that way. Than the combination works, but it is only a bit better than with a Canon 1.4 converter in combination with the 5.6/400 L.

-- hide signature --

H. Kretzschmar, Germany

Horst Kretzschmar's gear list:Horst Kretzschmar's gear list
Olympus E-M1 Olympus E-M5 II
OP Ken Croft Senior Member • Posts: 1,695

Horst Kretzschmar wrote:

Without mechanical changes on the Metabones it cannot fit, because the Oly 1.4 has a special form to transmit additonal informations from the 4/300 for ex. to the body on its side to the lens. So you would have to mill off (with a Dremel ) a part of the Metabones to use it in that way. Than the combination works, but it is only a bit better than with a Canon 1.4 converter in combination with the 5.6/400 L.

I see a projection and an extra couple of contacts inside the MC-14. Is that the part you mean?

-- hide signature --

Ken C

Horst Kretzschmar Regular Member • Posts: 461

Ken Croft wrote:

Horst Kretzschmar wrote:

I see a projection and an extra couple of contacts inside the MC-14. Is that the part you mean?

Yes ! Therefore it is unusable.

-- hide signature --

H. Kretzschmar, Germany

Horst Kretzschmar's gear list:Horst Kretzschmar's gear list
Olympus E-M1 Olympus E-M5 II
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads