* This month with your Nikon 1 - June 2018 *

Started Jun 1, 2018 | Discussions
holgerlinke Regular Member • Posts: 432
* This month with your Nikon 1 - June 2018 *

Welcome to another monthly thread! Feel free to share your work either here or through individual threads on the forum, whatever you are more comfortable with.

The rules are simple:

• Add your contribution by responding to this first message in this topic.
  • Change the subject of your message, then embed your image into the reply with whatever you’d like to say about it.
  • If you want criticism/critique (C&C) or technique feedback, say so. It’s generally assumed that you want general feedback, but direct requests make it clearer.

The title of the thread shouldn't discourage you from posting older pictures. Feel free to post anything that you found again in your archives or that you are currently working on.

Link to previous threads:

2018: May - April - March - Feb - Jan

2017: Dec - Nov - Oct - Sep - Aug - July - June - May- April - March - Feb

Cheers,
Holger

holgerlinke's gear list:holgerlinke's gear list
Fujifilm X100F Nikon 1 V3 Nikon 1 J5 Sony a7R II Nikon Z7 +19 more
Bruc Forum Member • Posts: 98
Butterflies

Bruc's gear list:Bruc's gear list
Nikon D200 Nikon 1 V1 Nikon D7500 Nikon AF-S DX Micro-Nikkor 85mm f/3.5G ED VR Sigma 50-150mm F2.8 EX DC APO OS HSM +6 more
OP holgerlinke Regular Member • Posts: 432
Yes it makes sense to get a J5 in 2018

Back in April, I was able to get a used "naked" J5 from ebay very cheaply (no lens, no charger, no cables etc. were included). The plan was to keep the 70-300 CX on the V3 with the viewfinder, and to use the J5 with the other lenses. It turned out though that the V3 is sitting unused, while the 70-300 stays on the J5 for chasing the  garden wildlife. The J5 sensor is really significantly better than the older one in the V3, especially in low-light environments.

Just as an example, this picture was taken earlier today in full daylight:

ISO 800 - Uncropped, processed in Capture One 11

Whereas the following is from yesterday evening close to  sunset:

ISO 6400 - Uncropped, processed in Capture One 11

On the V3, the evening image would have been completely useless: either b/o keeping the noise down at ISO 3200 and introducing more motion blur, or drowning everything in noise when going to the higher ISO.

The two images came out of a test series for a viewfinder add-on; will post about that in a separate thread later.

Cheers,
Holger

Adzor Regular Member • Posts: 499
A wee wren stopped by for a few seconds

Quite a chirper

Adzor's gear list:Adzor's gear list
Nikon 1 Nikkor 32mm f/1.2 Nikon 1 V1 Nikon 1 V2 Nikon 1 V3 Nikon 1 J5 +8 more
PTMcH
PTMcH Regular Member • Posts: 305
View from her eye

One of these days, I will get this shot right….Any C&C?

PTMcH's gear list:PTMcH's gear list
Nikon 1 V1 Nikon D7100 Nikon 1 J5 Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D Sigma 10mm F2.8 EX DC HSM Diagonal Fisheye +13 more
OP holgerlinke Regular Member • Posts: 432
Re: Yes it makes sense to get a J5 in 2018

... though it has its limitations. Namely the buffer size is rather limited compared to the V3.

I have tried my luck with the moon recently, handheld, shooting a few bursts to increase the chances for sharp images:

Full moon just above the horizon

The buffer was still clearing when a plane passed in front of the moon - a shot I had been aiming for for years. Only got the contrails once the J5 was ready again:

Wishing for a V3 with the sensor of the J5... sigh.

Cheers,
Holger

Justin9999 Contributing Member • Posts: 725
Re: View from her eye

PTMcH wrote:

Shallow depth of field can be nice, but this is too shallow.

Increase your distance from the subject &/or stop down on aperture.

Get the DOF deep enough so that the nose & eyebrows are both in focus.

-- hide signature --

Assume you know a lot more than me and teach me at will.

Justin9999's gear list:Justin9999's gear list
Fujifilm X-E2S Fujifilm X-H1 Fujifilm XF 14mm F2.8 R Fujifilm XF 27mm F2.8 Fujifilm 16-55mm F2.8R LM WR +3 more
PTMcH
PTMcH Regular Member • Posts: 305

Justin9999 wrote:

PTMcH wrote:

Thank you for the comment. My intent was to draw attention toward the eye and make viewer think about what she is looking at….didn’t achieve that in this shot.

PTMcH's gear list:PTMcH's gear list
Nikon 1 V1 Nikon D7100 Nikon 1 J5 Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D Sigma 10mm F2.8 EX DC HSM Diagonal Fisheye +13 more
Justin9999 Contributing Member • Posts: 725

PTMcH wrote:

Justin9999 wrote:

PTMcH wrote:

Thank you for the comment. My intent was to draw attention toward the eye and make viewer think about what she is looking at….didn’t achieve that in this shot.

You nailed the focus on the eyes.

What don’t you like about this picture?  Did you get multiple variants for comparison?

-- hide signature --

Assume you know a lot more than me and teach me at will.

Justin9999's gear list:Justin9999's gear list
Fujifilm X-E2S Fujifilm X-H1 Fujifilm XF 14mm F2.8 R Fujifilm XF 27mm F2.8 Fujifilm 16-55mm F2.8R LM WR +3 more
yatakk Regular Member • Posts: 102
Garden macro

Macro photography in the garden. Nikon 1 J5 + 30-110mm with extension tube.

Cross spider

Bleeding hearts

bertjefred
bertjefred Forum Member • Posts: 93
Leftovers of a wedding

A famous soccer player had his wedding in the church opposite of my house. The next day all the floral arrangements were stuffed in a dumpster. So off course I tried to save a few of those little fellows.

bertjefred's gear list:bertjefred's gear list
Nikon Coolpix A Nikon 1 V1 Nikon 1 Nikkor 10mm f/2.8
Sangster Contributing Member • Posts: 986
Sacrifice

While exploring the layers at the massive Hindu temple in Srirangam I stumbled upon these young students on recess and started conversing with them. The temple sits on 156 acres and is comprised of seven prakaras or rectangular enclosures centered around a sacred sanctum. The school is located just outside the inner ring, so its status is fairly high.

Kids in a veranda at a Vedic school

I ask them to join me outside for photos but school rules prevented them from going outside the gate. So I ended up shooting a couple frames through the openings in the gate. Fortunately, the V1 is nice and small.

Brahmin students at a Vedic school in Srirangam, Tamil Nadu, India

The training is strict requiring a ten year commitment in which time students are only allowed to go home twice a year. Some are nearing the end of their training while others are just starting but when asked they all said they miss their families back home.

Tilaka is the ash markings they wear on their foreheads. It indicates whether they follow Vishnu (left) or Shiva (center).

-- hide signature --

"No matter how elegant the subject, an image requires something more than a literal recording of that scene. It needs a moment a gesture or light or color to add that third dimension and make it memorable." - Annie Griffiths

Sangster's gear list:Sangster's gear list
Nikon 1 V1 Nikon 1 Nikkor VR 30-110mm f/3.8-5.6 Nikon 1 Nikkor 10mm f/2.8 Nikon 1 Nikkor 18.5mm f/1.8 +1 more
Stefan BW Senior Member • Posts: 1,462
Early days with the V3

So much is clear: a tilting screen can be useful.

Diving Coot

Stefan BW's gear list:Stefan BW's gear list
Nikon 1 V2 Nikon 1 Nikkor VR 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6
Early Days with the V3

It can handle swifts, if necessary.

Common swift

AugustFalcon Forum Member • Posts: 60

I'd like to see a bit of a catch-light in both eyes. So, maybe either a flash of some sort or some sort of light modifier. Perhaps even just more light on you to reflect back into the dog's eyes. Those eyes are going to be tough though since they are quite large and convex.

Paul Pasco
Paul Pasco Veteran Member • Posts: 8,524
Tiny bee

Now that things are starting to grow I need to get out and sharpen my macro skills. I spotted this little guy gathering pollen but wish I had a stronger diopter on the 30-110. I gotta practice my hold too as it's getting tougher as I age!

V1 30-110 w/Nikon CLOSE-UP NO. 3T

-- hide signature --

Regards, Paul
Lili's Dad

Paul Pasco's gear list:Paul Pasco's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ28 Nikon D50 Nikon D3 Nikon D300 Nikon 1 V1 +25 more
Re: Tiny bee

Very nice, and at 100% there are "enough details" of the tiny insect, for my taste.

Lately I tried the Raynox 250 on the CX 30-110, minimum focus distance around 10cm. More details of a small fly, but the result was definitely not so pleasant. Altogether I still prefer to add extension tubes for insect macros: a more useful minimum focus distance.

Wu Jiaqiu
Wu Jiaqiu Forum Pro • Posts: 27,166
Heron

bit of a crop on this as the bugger likes a bit of distance and perches as far away as it can

Wu Jiaqiu's gear list:Wu Jiaqiu's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix X100 Nikon D2Xs Nikon 1 V1 Nikon 1 J3 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 300mm f/4D ED-IF +3 more
Paul Pasco
Re: Tiny bee

Stefan BW wrote:

Very nice, and at 100% there are "enough details" of the tiny insect, for my taste.

Lately I tried the Raynox 250 on the CX 30-110, minimum focus distance around 10cm. More details of a small fly, but the result was definitely not so pleasant. Altogether I still prefer to add extension tubes for insect macros: a more useful minimum focus distance.

I would have used my 4T for this and gotten a closer shot of the little bee but I left it in the house. When you say more useful minimum focus distance do you mean more or less distance? I tried a set of extension tubes once but they were defective and I had to send them back and I didn’t ask for an exchange because I didn’t like the results I got. It’s a good thing we have choices, eh?

-- hide signature --

Regards, Paul
Lili's Dad

Paul Pasco
Re: Heron

Wu Jiaqiu wrote:

bit of a crop on this as the bugger likes a bit of distance and perches as far away as it can

Nice shot as usual. Your 300 sure works well with the V1.

-- hide signature --

Regards, Paul
Lili's Dad

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads