Rokinon 12mm f2 or Fuji 10-24 f/4...?

Started 6 months ago | Discussions
happy guardian Regular Member • Posts: 176
Re: Rokinon 12mm f2 or Fuji 10-24 f/4...?

The Rokinon is worth every penny if you don't mind MF.

sirhawkeye64 wrote:

I'm looking to get a wide angle, and wanted to get some input/advice.

These are the two lensees I'm considering (Fuji 10-24 and Rokinon 12mm f/2 manual focus).

The manual focus doesn't bother me as much because I have my XT2 set for focus assist in MF mode (enlarges the center of the frame) plus I have focus peaking on.

The 10-24 is nice because it has AF, OIS and is a zoom, giving a little more flexibility (versus the Rokinon wich is basically a prime lens).

I would mainly be using this lens for interiors, so the f/2 on the Rokinon is a definite plus, but it might be more difficult to pull of quick shots since it's a manual focus lens.

Tough decision I guess. What are most people going with?

The Rokinon is obviously about 1/3 of the price of the Fuji,, and probably weighs less, but then there's the MF and no OIS.

I can technically afford the Fuji, but wanted to see what other people thought about the Rokinon over the Fuji in terms of optical performance, despite Rokinon being a MF lens and lacking a few other features...

happy guardian's gear list:happy guardian's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-HX30V Fujifilm X-T10 Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS Fujifilm 50-230mm
OP sirhawkeye64 Senior Member • Posts: 1,901

dgumshu wrote:

sirhawkeye64 wrote:

I'm looking to get a wide angle, and wanted to get some input/advice.

These are the two lensees I'm considering (Fuji 10-24 and Rokinon 12mm f/2 manual focus).

The manual focus doesn't bother me as much because I have my XT2 set for focus assist in MF mode (enlarges the center of the frame) plus I have focus peaking on.

The 10-24 is nice because it has AF, OIS and is a zoom, giving a little more flexibility (versus the Rokinon wich is basically a prime lens).

I would mainly be using this lens for interiors, so the f/2 on the Rokinon is a definite plus, but it might be more difficult to pull of quick shots since it's a manual focus lens.

Tough decision I guess. What are most people going with?

The Rokinon is obviously about 1/3 of the price of the Fuji,, and probably weighs less, but then there's the MF and no OIS.

I can technically afford the Fuji, but wanted to see what other people thought about the Rokinon over the Fuji in terms of optical performance, despite Rokinon being a MF lens and lacking a few other features...

I was in the same boat. Just picked up the Rokinon 12mm and it's very nice. I do like the IQ and it works fine. However, for the versatility, I may just get the 10-24 also. I like the zoom and electronic communication with the body. The 12mm is a fun lens, though.

Yeah I went through the same.  I ended up with the Fuji because of its flexibility (I don't really need a fast lens for most of what I do with the Fuji anyway) and the OIS helps.  I'd say if you can afford it, go for it.  For me it was more about flexibility and not having to constantly change lenses while going in and out of buildings, etc.

sirhawkeye64's gear list:sirhawkeye64's gear list
Nikon D750 Fujifilm X-T2 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS +10 more
PTgraphics New Member • Posts: 15

I took the Rokinon 12mm to the Outer Banks for a week. It was my first time using it for anything but a few quick photos to make sure that it worked. I have not looked at all the photos yet but what I did check was sharp and clear. A very sharp lens for sure. Manual focus was not a issue with Focus Peaking. I shot a few of the light houses, Wright Brothers National Memorial and some of the marsh areas and inlet's with the lens. I did find that my photos tended to be darker with the 12mm than my 35 or 55-200. Probably operator error on my part. I am not sure I am keeping it though. Besides the base cap not staying on the lens I might need the 10-24 if I start shooting interior rooms for someone who is just getting into selling houses. I think the 12mm would be too restricting. I also forgot to tell my T2 that I had the 12mm attached so all my exif data shot with it says it's a 50mm f/1. I never shot the 12mm at f/2 either. I was going for large areas of sharpness and the Rokinon delivered. Overall though the Rokinon 12mm is a very good small lens.

ikaika777 Contributing Member • Posts: 947

I don’t have the Rokinon but I love my Fuji 10-24mm f4.

ikaika777's gear list:ikaika777's gear list
Fujifilm X-T2 Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 10-24mm F4 R OIS Fujifilm XF 35mm F2 R WR Sony RX100 V +9 more
ikaika777 Contributing Member • Posts: 947

And Fuji is supposed to come out with a new lens in 2018, the FX 8-18mm f2.8 R LM WR.

ikaika777's gear list:ikaika777's gear list
Fujifilm X-T2 Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 10-24mm F4 R OIS Fujifilm XF 35mm F2 R WR Sony RX100 V +9 more
dgumshu
dgumshu Senior Member • Posts: 3,595

PTgraphics wrote:

I took the Rokinon 12mm to the Outer Banks for a week. It was my first time using it for anything but a few quick photos to make sure that it worked. I have not looked at all the photos yet but what I did check was sharp and clear. A very sharp lens for sure. Manual focus was not a issue with Focus Peaking. I shot a few of the light houses, Wright Brothers National Memorial and some of the marsh areas and inlet's with the lens. I did find that my photos tended to be darker with the 12mm than my 35 or 55-200. Probably operator error on my part. I am not sure I am keeping it though. Besides the base cap not staying on the lens I might need the 10-24 if I start shooting interior rooms for someone who is just getting into selling houses. I think the 12mm would be too restricting. I also forgot to tell my T2 that I had the 12mm attached so all my exif data shot with it says it's a 50mm f/1. I never shot the 12mm at f/2 either. I was going for large areas of sharpness and the Rokinon delivered. Overall though the Rokinon 12mm is a very good small lens.

I just arranged to return the Rokinon.  It’s a good lens, but with my eyes, it’s difficult to focus even with focus peaking.  Now to decide on the next one... a 10-24, 16, 14 or combination of two of these.  I’ll probably go for the 10-24 for versatility and 16mm for the 1.4.

dgumshu's gear list:dgumshu's gear list
Canon EOS-1D X Canon EOS 5DS R Canon EOS 5D Mark IV Fujifilm X-T20 Canon EF 400mm f/5.6L USM +46 more
georgehudetz Veteran Member • Posts: 3,912

dgumshu wrote:

10-24, 16, 14 or combination of two of these. I’ll probably go for the 10-24 for versatility and 16mm for the 1.4.

I'd say that's a good plan.

georgehudetz's gear list:georgehudetz's gear list
Fujifilm X-T1 Fujifilm X-T2 Fujifilm XF 18mm F2 R Fujifilm XF 60mm F2.4 R Macro Fujifilm XF 14mm F2.8 R +8 more
LTTan New Member • Posts: 18

Since we are on the topic of Rokinon 12mm f2 or Fuji 10-24 f/4, I thought I will post my question here instead of starting a new thread.

I am planning a trip to Iceland this coming December and one of the main purpose is to take pictures of the Northern Light. Currently I have the 16mm f1.4 lens and after doing much research, it seems a wider lens is preferred for the Northern Light. So now I am wondering should I buy the Rokinon 12mm f2 or the Fuji 10-24 f4. The main concern is getting the best result with the right lens. Hope to hear from you guys real soon....might be off picking up a used Rokinon 12mm f2 lens tomorrow. Thanks.

LTTan wrote:

Since we are on the topic of Rokinon 12mm f2 or Fuji 10-24 f/4, I thought I will post my question here instead of starting a new thread.

I am planning a trip to Iceland this coming December and one of the main purpose is to take pictures of the Northern Light. Currently I have the 16mm f1.4 lens and after doing much research, it seems a wider lens is preferred for the Northern Light. So now I am wondering should I buy the Rokinon 12mm f2 or the Fuji 10-24 f4. The main concern is getting the best result with the right lens. Hope to hear from you guys real soon....might be off picking up a used Rokinon 12mm f2 lens tomorrow. Thanks.

I'd say for the northern lights, you might want the faster aperture.  However, I think the same could be done with the 10-24 as well (might have the increase your ISO to keep the shutter speed within acceptable range).  I know many astro photographers would probably opt for the faster lens since you can't AF anyway.  But if you plan on using the wide angle for more than just astro, I'd say get the 10-24 and maybe a used Rokinon for when you're doing astro and get the best of both worlds.  Combined they'd probably cost you about $1100 in the end (if you get a new 10-24 and a used 12mm Rokinon).  If you're on a budget, just get the Rokinon.

Nikon D750 Fujifilm X-T2 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS +10 more

sirhawkeye64 wrote:

LTTan wrote:

I'd say for the northern lights, you might want the faster aperture. However, I think the same could be done with the 10-24 as well (might have the increase your ISO to keep the shutter speed within acceptable range). I know many astro photographers would probably opt for the faster lens since you can't AF anyway. But if you plan on using the wide angle for more than just astro, I'd say get the 10-24 and maybe a used Rokinon for when you're doing astro and get the best of both worlds.

This is what I do. 10-24 for almost everything except astro (and it would seem that NL is basically just another form of astro in that you want to avoid star trails) and then the Rok 12 for astro.

But, given that the OP is going all the way to Iceland to shoot the lights, I'd suggest he/she gets the Rok first. Make sure & get that shot. Plus, in my experience, Iceland is more of a mid-to-telephoto kind of country. I love using my 10-24, but rarely used it there. So the Rok with a standard and tele zoom would be a great combination for that particular trip.

Fujifilm X-T1 Fujifilm X-T2 Fujifilm XF 18mm F2 R Fujifilm XF 60mm F2.4 R Macro Fujifilm XF 14mm F2.8 R +8 more

georgehudetz wrote:

sirhawkeye64 wrote:

LTTan wrote:

I'd say for the northern lights, you might want the faster aperture. However, I think the same could be done with the 10-24 as well (might have the increase your ISO to keep the shutter speed within acceptable range). I know many astro photographers would probably opt for the faster lens since you can't AF anyway. But if you plan on using the wide angle for more than just astro, I'd say get the 10-24 and maybe a used Rokinon for when you're doing astro and get the best of both worlds.

This is what I do. 10-24 for almost everything except astro (and it would seem that NL is basically just another form of astro in that you want to avoid star trails) and then the Rok 12 for astro.

But, given that the OP is going all the way to Iceland to shoot the lights, I'd suggest he/she gets the Rok first. Make sure & get that shot. Plus, in my experience, Iceland is more of a mid-to-telephoto kind of country. I love using my 10-24, but rarely used it there. So the Rok with a standard and tele zoom would be a great combination for that particular trip.

I agree.  If the OP is not sure about manual focusing, definitely practice ahead of time (usually wouldn't matter with either lens as you'll have to MF anyways for most astro/NL stuff).

I guess the other question for the OP is flexibility at the wider end.  If some flexibility (ie. zoom) is desired, then also get the 10-24.  Combined together new, they are about the same price as a FF ultra wide (14-24 / 15-30) so it's not overly expense.  Or he could rent the 10-24 and buy the Rokinon for the trip.

georgehudetz wrote:

Thanks for all the advice. Hi George, when you mentioned "the Rok with a standard and tele zoom", which standard lens and tele zoom would you recommand? For the tele zoom I am looking at the 55-200.

Oh btw, I just got my Rok today. Pretty sharp even taken at f2. Here's a simple test shot I took inside a mall. JPGE straight out from camera, no editing done.

LTTan wrote:

georgehudetz wrote:

Thanks for all the advice. Hi George, when you mentioned "the Rok with a standard and tele zoom", which standard lens and tele zoom would you recommand? For the tele zoom I am looking at the 55-200.

Oh btw, I just got my Rok today. Pretty sharp even taken at f2. Here's a simple test shot I took inside a mall. JPGE straight out from camera, no editing done.

The 55-200 is a great travel zoom. It's light, small (reasonably, compared to the more expensive and heavier 50-140) and is sharp.  I would get the 55-200 as your travel lens, then if you want a fixed 2.8, get the 50-140, but it's much heavier, and more expensive (but also probably a tad sharper too, but the 55-200 is no slouch in terms of sharpness).

sirhawkeye64 wrote:

LTTan wrote:

georgehudetz wrote:

The 55-200 is a great travel zoom. It's light, small (reasonably, compared to the more expensive and heavier 50-140) and is sharp. I would get the 55-200 as your travel lens, then if you want a fixed 2.8, get the 50-140, but it's much heavier, and more expensive (but also probably a tad sharper too, but the 55-200 is no slouch in terms of sharpness).

The truth is, all of Fuji's lenses are at least good, and the differences in sharpness only matter if you want to print quite large.  And I don't even know how large that is.  . It's really more a question of aperture, focusing speed, weather resistance, the presence of an aperture ring, wether or not that aperture ring is marked, the ability to use a TC, etc.  For landscape where you are shooting F8 the differences are not that great.  When I went to Iceland I had the 16-55 & 50-140.  I love them but they are probably overkill.  You can take a great landscape picture with any of Fuji's lenses.  Just buy the lenses that you can afford - so that you have full coverage - and go out and shoot.

georgehudetz wrote:

sirhawkeye64 wrote:

LTTan wrote:

georgehudetz wrote:

The 55-200 is a great travel zoom. It's light, small (reasonably, compared to the more expensive and heavier 50-140) and is sharp. I would get the 55-200 as your travel lens, then if you want a fixed 2.8, get the 50-140, but it's much heavier, and more expensive (but also probably a tad sharper too, but the 55-200 is no slouch in terms of sharpness).

The truth is, all of Fuji's lenses are at least good, and the differences in sharpness only matter if you want to print quite large. And I don't even know how large that is. . It's really more a question of aperture, focusing speed, weather resistance, the presence of an aperture ring, wether or not that aperture ring is marked, the ability to use a TC, etc. For landscape where you are shooting F8 the differences are not that great. When I went to Iceland I had the 16-55 & 50-140. I love them but they are probably overkill. You can take a great landscape picture with any of Fuji's lenses. Just buy the lenses that you can afford - so that you have full coverage - and go out and shoot.

I agree.  That's what I did. I now have the 10-24, 18-55 (although I might trade that one for the 18-135 or possibly the 16-55) and the 55-200, so that pretty much gets me from 10mm to 200mm (or about 15-300mm in 35mm terms), which I think is a good range for the average photographer.  I don't do wildlife so rarely need anything beyond 200mm.

Most Fuji lenses (even their 16-50mm) are of decent quality and sharpness.  Some are sharper than others, but overall, I think if you look at the "kit lens" line-up, they tend to be a bit better than the competition (kit lenses).

Thanks for all the great information and tips. After digesting all these information, my current plan will be Rokinon 12mm, Fuji 16-55mm and the 55-200mm (actually still deciding between 55-200mm or the 50-230mm) :-).

dgumshu
dgumshu Senior Member • Posts: 3,595

LTTan wrote:

Thanks for all the great information and tips. After digesting all these information, my current plan will be Rokinon 12mm, Fuji 16-55mm and the 55-200mm (actually still deciding between 55-200mm or the 50-230mm) :-).

The 16-55 is said to be amazing.  I was/am seriously considering one.  However, the drawback for me is the size.  It’s a little larger than some of my Canon lenses and the size just defeats the pourpose of having the xt20.  Im trying to keep things small, even though I just ordered the 55-200.  However, the other Fuji  lenses I’m interested in are also somewhat large... 16mm and 10-24.  It is what it is.

dgumshu's gear list:dgumshu's gear list
Canon EOS-1D X Canon EOS 5DS R Canon EOS 5D Mark IV Fujifilm X-T20 Canon EF 400mm f/5.6L USM +46 more

LTTan wrote:

Optically the 55-200 is a tad sharper and faster, but you probably can't tell the difference (very much) when compared side by side in terms of a photo comparison.  Unless you start pixel peeping.

I tried the 50-230, but returned it because of how slow it was (if you're doing indoors, then the 55-200 has the advantage as it's about a stop faster on the short end, and almost 1.5 stops faster on the long end).  You do give up the extra 30mm and there is a higher price tag, but IMO it's a better lens (better quality) plus you have the aperture ring and OIS switches right on the side, versus on the 50-230 you have to do everything using dials and menus.

Astrophotographer 10 Forum Pro • Posts: 11,503

That's an easy one. No competition, the 10-24 is way better unless you want to do astro and the F2 of the 12mm is an advantage.

Fuji makes way better lenses than Rok/Samyang. They actually have a quality control. Buying a Rok/Samyang is rolling a dice.

Greg.

Astrophotographer 10's gear list:Astrophotographer 10's gear list
Sony a7R II Sony a7R III Sony FE 55mm F1.8 Zeiss Batis 85mm F1.8 Zeiss Loxia 21mm F2.8 +1 more

dgumshu wrote:

The 16-55 is said to be amazing. I was/am seriously considering one. However, the drawback for me is the size. It’s a little larger than some of my Canon lenses and the size just defeats the pourpose of having the xt20. Im trying to keep things small, even though I just ordered the 55-200. However, the other Fuji lenses I’m interested in are also somewhat large... 16mm and 10-24. It is what it is.

The main reason for the 16-55 is for the weather sealing. I have seen mix quitw a few comments, some saying it is alright to shoot without WR lens in Iceland winter and some said it is a MUST. I foresee most of the shots should be done within the 16-55 range, so having a WR lens will be less worrying.

Thought of the 10-24 too, but since I am doing Northern Light, the Rok 12mm seems to be the more appropriate choice.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads