Teleconverters Any Good?

Started May 30, 2018 | Discussions
jimlau Regular Member • Posts: 269
Teleconverters Any Good?

I will have the Lumix GX85 and Panasonic Lumix G X Vario PZ 45-175mm. If I want a longer reach, would a teleconverter work, such as the Panasonic 1.4x converter? How much would the image quality suffer?

Thanks.

jimlau's gear list:jimlau's gear list
Nikon D5500 Tamron SP 35mm F1.8 Di VC USD Tokina 14-20mm F2 Pro Nikon AF-P 70-300mm F4.5-6.3G VR
Leica X Vario Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX85
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Mark9473 Veteran Member • Posts: 6,279
Re: Teleconverters Any Good?

The Panasonic DMW-TC14 1.4x teleconverter only fits the new 200/2.8 lens.

-- hide signature --

Mark

Mark9473's gear list:Mark9473's gear list
Canon G1 X II Panasonic Lumix DMC-G6 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX85 Panasonic G85 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 50-200mm 1:2.8-3.5 SWD +21 more
Gerry Winterbourne Forum Pro • Posts: 19,063

jimlau wrote:

I will have the Lumix GX85 and Panasonic Lumix G X Vario PZ 45-175mm. If I want a longer reach, would a teleconverter work, such as the Panasonic 1.4x converter? How much would the image quality suffer?

I don't know these specific items but the general situation is that TCs are only worth using if the bare lens is very high quality. The extra glass in a TC always has a detrimental effect; if the starting image is good enough that won't matter.

This link demonstrates the difference using Canon lenses but the effect is universal http://www.bobatkins.com/photography/tutorials/tc3.html

-- hide signature --

Gerry

Chris R-UK Forum Pro • Posts: 22,193

Apart from the quality loss you lose one stop of light with a 1.4x TC so f/5.6 becomes f/8, for example.

Get a Panasonic 100-300mm MkII.

-- hide signature --

Chris R

Chris R-UK's gear list:Chris R-UK's gear list
Olympus E-M1 Olympus E-M1 II Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm F4.0-5.6 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm F1.8 +4 more
EXX
EXX Senior Member • Posts: 1,189

IMHO, teleconverters are not worth their money with current cameras that have 24 or more megapixel sensors. I have a Keiko x2 TC, coupled it with a very high grade telelens (Minolta AF 80-200 F2.8 APO HS G), but the result was hardly any better than just cropping the image. As an experiment I also combined it with a Minolta AF 500mm F8 Reflex, just to see the result: it was marginally better than just cropping the image.

To me, teleconverters are a relic from the film era, where enlarging afterwards was more cumbersome than today.

My advice would be: get a decent telelens.

EXX's gear list:EXX's gear list
Konica Minolta DiMAGE A2 Sony SLT-A55 Sony a77 II Sony DT 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 SAM Sony DT 16-80mm F3.5-4.5 ZA Carl Zeiss Vario-Sonnar T* +18 more
beagle1 Forum Pro • Posts: 11,561

jimlau wrote:

Thanks.

don't know about lumix but Canon teleconverters / extenders are good

www.flickr.com/photos/mmirrorless

lilBuddha Veteran Member • Posts: 6,258

jimlau wrote:

Thanks.

How much is lens specific, here is always quality and light loss. However, that doesn't mean the shots will be terrible and TCs are certainly a more affordable option than a separate tele.

I've got great shots with my Canon 70-200 2.8 and a 2x Canon TC. Yes, a dedicated 400MM would have been sharper, bit also at least 1K for a lens I'd hardly use.

FrancoD Forum Pro • Posts: 17,360

As Mark pointed out,(and ignored by all ...) that 1.4 conv does not work with your lens but only the 200mm (and possibly another one or two)

The reason is very simple :

the glass sticking out would hit the rear elements of your lens.

Not that I expect anyone to take note of this either...

Anyway, as a tip, ignore all the comments about how a certain converter works with a particular lens unless that is the exact converter and lens combo you want to use.

OP jimlau Regular Member • Posts: 269

lilBuddha wrote:

jimlau wrote:

Thanks.

How much is lens specific, here is always quality and light loss. However, that doesn't mean the shots will be terrible and TCs are certainly a more affordable option than a separate tele.

I've got great shots with my Canon 70-200 2.8 and a 2x Canon TC. Yes, a dedicated 400MM would have been sharper, bit also at least 1K for a lens I'd hardly use.

How can you determine if a TC works (fits) on a lens? Is there a universal measurement for M43 lenses? Would only Panasonic TCs work on Panasonic lenses?

Nikon D5500 Tamron SP 35mm F1.8 Di VC USD Tokina 14-20mm F2 Pro Nikon AF-P 70-300mm F4.5-6.3G VR
drj3 Forum Pro • Posts: 12,372

jimlau wrote:

lilBuddha wrote:

jimlau wrote:

Thanks.

How can you determine if a TC works (fits) on a lens? Is there a universal measurement for M43 lenses? Would only Panasonic TCs work on Panasonic lenses?

You would read the manufacturers statement about the TC.  The Panasonic 1.4 and new 2.0 TCs will work only on Panasonics 200mm f2.8 and the soon to be available 50-200 f.28-4 and not on any Olympus lens.  The Olympus MC14 works only on the 40-150 f2.8 and the 300mm f4 and not on any Panasonic lens.  Both companies TCs have a protruding front element which will not fit into any other lenses.

-- hide signature --

drj3

drj3's gear list:drj3's gear list
Olympus E-510 Olympus E-5 Olympus E-M1 Olympus OM-D E-M10 Olympus E-M1 II +13 more
khunpapa
khunpapa Senior Member • Posts: 2,664

jimlau wrote:

I own 45-175 too. Great lens. But if you want extra reach, only front-attached TC would work.

I use Canon TC-58D, Olympus TCon-17 and couple more.

Well. Well. Well.

The internal 2x digital teleconverter is better.

But can't say this to those exotic TC from Fuji and Ricoh.

Last word.

The second hand 100-300 is cheaper than those exotic TC.

-- hide signature --

If one think something someone says is not right, why don't explain the right one directly to the OP with right knowledge instead of flaming the other? Don't use "OP knows nothing, can not separate right or wrong" as the launching pad for attacking people. Rotten sub-ego should be kept to one own mind.
--
Flashes of my Memory.

khunpapa's gear list:khunpapa's gear list
Sigma DP2 Sigma DP3 Merrill Olympus E-M1 Panasonic Lumix G X Vario 35-100mm F2.8 OIS Sigma DP1 +10 more
OP jimlau Regular Member • Posts: 269

khunpapa wrote:

jimlau wrote:

I own 45-175 too. Great lens. But if you want extra reach, only front-attached TC would work.

Well. Well. Well.

Last word.

No adapter needed for those 2 TCs?

khunpapa

jimlau wrote:

khunpapa wrote:

jimlau wrote:

Well. Well. Well.

Last word.

No adapter needed for those 2 TCs?

The front-attached TC likes the filter. You just screw it to your lens's filter thread.

The 45-175 thread is 52mm. The tc-58d has 58mm. You need the $5 to bind them together.

-- hide signature --

If one think something someone says is not right, why don't explain the right one directly to the OP with right knowledge instead of flaming the other? Don't use "OP knows nothing, can not separate right or wrong" as the launching pad for attacking people. Rotten sub-ego should be kept to one own mind.
--
Flashes of my Memory.

Sigma DP2 Sigma DP3 Merrill Olympus E-M1 Panasonic Lumix G X Vario 35-100mm F2.8 OIS Sigma DP1 +10 more
D Cox Forum Pro • Posts: 31,258

jimlau wrote:

lilBuddha wrote:

jimlau wrote:

Thanks.

You will get the best results from a TC that is specifically designed for use with a particular lens. So, look on the maker's web site.

Even then, you will lose a stop or more of light just when you need it most.

D Cox's gear list:D Cox's gear list
Sigma fp
lilBuddha Veteran Member • Posts: 6,258

D Cox wrote:

Even then, you will lose a stop or more of light just when you need it most.

You will lose that stop of light always. I don't know m43 lens prices, but with Canon, one pays an awful lot of money to get that light back when buying a long telephoto. the 1K figure I gave previously was matching the light loss of a TC. If one wants to match the lens' natural aperture as well, it would be 10 times that.

There are several factors in deciding to use a TC instead of buying a longer lens.

Clarity, cost, need and convenience are the main factors. Those will vary by person and manufacturer.

petrochemist Veteran Member • Posts: 3,372

khunpapa wrote:

The front-attached TC likes the filter. You just screw it to your lens's filter thread.

The 45-175 thread is 52mm. The tc-58d has 58mm. You need the $5 to bind them together.

I've tried several of these front mounted tele-adapters I don't think one of them was good enough for modern video use. Certainly they're not good enough for stills.

This may change with Ultra expensive models, but I have no plans to try.

petrochemist's gear list:petrochemist's gear list
Pentax K100D Sigma SD14 Pentax K-7 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF2 Pentax Q +19 more
khunpapa

petrochemist wrote:

khunpapa wrote:

I've tried several of these front mounted tele-adapters I don't think one of them was good enough for modern video use. Certainly they're not good enough for stills.

You should try Fuji TCL-X100.

-- hide signature --

Flashes of my Memory.

Jonsi
Jonsi Veteran Member • Posts: 6,125

FrancoD wrote:

As Mark pointed out,(and ignored by all ...)

Not that I expect anyone to take note of this either...

Anyway, as a tip, ignore all the comments about how a certain converter works with a particular lens unless that is the exact converter and lens combo you want to use.

What your condescending attitude is intentionally overlooking is that the title of the thread was a question, and people are politely answering.

The specific combination problem was already answered.

If the rest of the helpful replies offend you maybe just go to the next question.

Glen Barrington
Glen Barrington Forum Pro • Posts: 22,432
Ehh! They 'work' . . .

But I don't like their image quality now, for digital, as much as I did for film. I suspect that the sensors (and possibly, lenses) of today's cameras have so much better resolving power than film, that the imperfections that the teleconverters introduce are more noticeable.  And the ones I've seen seem kind of pricey to me.

I think I would look for a good manual legacy tele film SLR lens and an m43s converter. with m43s, you would only be using the sharpest center portion of the SLR lens image anyway, and a fairly decent 200 or 300 mm lens (equiv of 400 to 600 in m43s) should be and an under $15 adapter should be relatively inexpensive and likely to cost less than the cost of a 'good' TC.

Glen Barrington's gear list:Glen Barrington's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M10 II Olympus E-M5 III Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm 1:4.0-5.6 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4.0-5.6 +11 more
petrochemist Veteran Member • Posts: 3,372

khunpapa wrote:

petrochemist wrote:

khunpapa wrote:

You should try Fuji TCL-X100.

On what lens & body? Both of these have a big effect on how acceptable a TC is...

It may be that there are much better versions around than I've tried. I wouldn't be surprised, but the results I can get with budget telephoto lenses have made me loose all interest in something that increases the minimum focus distance and resolution of my lens drastically.

petrochemist's gear list:petrochemist's gear list
Pentax K100D Sigma SD14 Pentax K-7 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF2 Pentax Q +19 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads