Save the box?

Started 6 months ago | Questions
JimAustin Regular Member • Posts: 148
Save the box?

I recently got a Canon PRO-1000. I got it from B&H, an I live in NYC where they have free next-day delivery. I think they must just drop it off, since it wasn't in a shipping box--just the regular packaging. Printer was fine, but the box isn't the best--it got a little damp on the outside an ripped a bit near the handles.

Final point: There's a rebate on, which means I'll nee to cut out the bar code and send it in.

My point: Not much of a shipping box. Plus, it's big. I'm in a NYC apartment. Nowhere to put it really.

So, I'd like to toss it, but then what will I ship it in if service required? (I bought the B&H warranty, which is suppose to cover shipping, but that doesn't mean they provide a box.

Thoughts? Suggestions? Thanks.

ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
Turbguy1
Turbguy1 Senior Member • Posts: 1,128
Re: Save the box?

Dry  out the box, fold it up, stash it under a bed (or in the back of a closet) until the warranty is up?

-- hide signature --
 Turbguy1's gear list:Turbguy1's gear list
Minolta DiMAGE 7 Konica Minolta DiMAGE Z5 Konica Minolta DiMAGE A2 Fujifilm FinePix Real 3D W3 Nikon D300 +3 more
OP JimAustin Regular Member • Posts: 148

Turbguy1 wrote:

Dry out the box, fold it up, stash it under a bed (or in the back of a closet) until the warranty is up?

Thanks--but the box isn't helpful without the styrofoam inside.

vsc42 New Member • Posts: 9

I purchased a PRO-1000 from B&H as well. There was no over box, where Fed-X was used for delivery.

That said right out of the box there were issues where I engaged with Canon for resolution. They decided to replace the printer. Point in fact they ship a new printer in an over box. If your only concern is warrantee return, Canon expects you will use the new printer's box for the return shipment, thus holding on to the original packing material is not required.

On the other hand if you plan to move the printer in the future (e.g. moving van, shipping, etc), then holding onto the packing material might be a good idea. At the moment I haven't discarded the packing material but I have room for the rather large box.

I'm not sure what the B&H warrantee is. I have considered getting the extended warrantee from Canon, where I assume they would handle the matter in a similar manner as year one issues.

flbrit Veteran Member • Posts: 4,256

check the rebate form. don't know about Canon but when i reread the epson form i discovered a copy of the code was good enough so photographed it sent it without destroying the box.

-- hide signature --

Brian

flbrit's gear list:flbrit's gear list
Sony a7R II Olympus PEN-F Olympus E-M1 II Canon TS-E 17mm f/4L Zeiss Loxia 21mm F2.8 +14 more

vsc42 wrote:

I purchased a PRO-1000 from B&H as well. There was no over box, where Fed-X was used for delivery.

That said right out of the box there were issues where I engaged with Canon for resolution. They decided to replace the printer. Point in fact they ship a new printer in an over box. If your only concern is warrantee return, Canon expects you will use the new printer's box for the return shipment, thus holding on to the original packing material is not required.

Thanks for this--very helpful. I think the key remaining question is whether they ever want a printer returned for repairs, as opposed to replacement. In that case I'd be the first one to ship, hence no box. But your answer gets us most of the way there. I can imagine them replacing the print head, or the whole printer, and once it's returned, they'll surely either repair it as a "reconditioned" unit (to replace other defective units) or mine it for parts. But most of the time, I'm thinking, they'll just be sending out a new printer or a new head and asking me to send back the old one. Tilts the odds enough in my favor that I think I'll mine the code and toss the box. If I end up needing one, we'll deal with that when the time comes.

Thanks.

Brian, good thinking. I haven't yet formally checked their requirements.

just Tony
just Tony Senior Member • Posts: 2,241

JimAustin wrote:

Brian, good thinking. I haven't yet formally checked their requirements.

And even if they do require you to send in that patch you can do it without making a hole all the way through. Lay down some clear packing tape and burnish it down for a good 100% contact. Make shallow incisions with a razor blade, and then slowly lift the patch up. That section will be a bit less robust but you can just cover it with some more of the packing tape.

-- hide signature --

Render unto Digital, that which is Digital's,
and unto Analog, that which is Analog's

Actually the rebate instructions are very specific, you must cut out through the box all of the way otherwise they are not obligated to honor the rebate. In fact this is exactly what I did and returned that box with the first problem printer.

For reference Canon processed the rebate very quickly. I had the Amex credit card in a matter of weeks.

It's my understanding that Canon provides new printers. What they do with the returns are anyones guess. Cleary they can't be sold as new.

jphii New Member • Posts: 3

Quick question about the rebate:  Do you just send in the UPC or do you need to send the whole panel with the serial number?

jphii's gear list:jphii's gear list
Nikon D7500 Nikon 35mm F1.8G ED Nikon AF-P 70-300mm F4.5-6.3G VR Nikon AF-S 70-200mm F2.8E FL ED VR Nikon 10-20mm F4.5-5.6 VR +1 more

I sent the whole panel, but rereading the instructions and a copy I made of the panel, only the bar code is required for the rebate.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads