Edit capture time?

Started 11 months ago | Discussions
c h u n k
c h u n k Senior Member • Posts: 1,473
Edit capture time?

I dont know if this ia correct forum. I will repost if directed.

I used 2 cameras to shoot a wedding yesterday. Time on cameras apparently not synced well and going through the stream is, well, frustrating. Is there any way to fix the capture time in post (without doing it in every individual photo)?

-- hide signature --

Some of my photos here: https://flic.kr/ps/2i6XL3
“You're off to Great Places! Today is your day! Your mountain is waiting, So... get on your way!” --Dr. Seuss

c h u n k's gear list:c h u n k's gear list
Canon EOS 70D Canon 6D Mark II Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 USM Canon EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro USM Tamron AF 28-75mm F/2.8 XR Di LD Aspherical (IF) +7 more
Mike CH Veteran Member • Posts: 9,631
Re: Edit capture time?

c h u n k wrote:

I used 2 cameras to shoot a wedding yesterday. Time on cameras apparently not synced well and going through the stream is, well, frustrating. Is there any way to fix the capture time in post (without doing it in every individual photo)?

There is - somewhere - an advanced EXIF editor, which I seem to remember can also do batch edits. But the name? Maybe ask in the Retouching forum if nobody here knows...

Regards, Mike

-- hide signature --

Wait and see...
I hardly ever speak for anybody but myself. In the cases where I do mean to speak generally the statements are likely to be marked as such.

Mike CH's gear list:Mike CH's gear list
Canon G7 X II Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EOS 5D Mark IV Canon EF 16-35mm F2.8L II USM Canon EF 100mm F2.8L Macro IS USM +14 more
Doug J Forum Pro • Posts: 10,017

c h u n k wrote:

Faststone Image Viewer can do batch date/time adjustments. Another program that can do this is Exiftool, a command line editor that also has a Windows GUI available from a different programer. I suggest you take a look at Faststone first.

Cheers,
Doug

Guy Parsons
Guy Parsons Forum Pro • Posts: 31,348

c h u n k wrote:

As mentioned, FastStone Viewer, or another versatile tool for jpegs is JPGTime from http://www.muralpix.com/jpgtime/ it will work where FastStone sometimes stumbles. OK that's in the Windows world, no idea about Mac world.

Of course the different cameras need to be separated to make selection easier, in my case with Olympus M4/3 I have edited the file names in the cameras so it's always distinct which is which. My first E-P5 delivers EP5Axxxx files and the second one delivers EP5Bxxxx files, so easy to sift and sort when faced with a bulk time adjustment.

Regards.... Guy

Guy Parsons's gear list:Guy Parsons's gear list
Olympus PEN E-P5 Sony RX100 VI Olympus PEN E-PL1 Olympus PEN E-P3 Olympus PEN E-PL5 +2 more
Beachcomber Joe
Beachcomber Joe Senior Member • Posts: 1,173

If you are using Lightroom, you can batch correct the time in the Library Module.

c h u n k
OP c h u n k Senior Member • Posts: 1,473

Beachcomber Joe wrote:

If you are using Lightroom, you can batch correct the time in the Library Module.

I do use lightroom. Where in the library module? I will try to google.

-- hide signature --

“You're off to Great Places! Today is your day! Your mountain is waiting, So... get on your way!” --Dr. Seuss

Canon EOS 70D Canon 6D Mark II Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 USM Canon EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro USM Tamron AF 28-75mm F/2.8 XR Di LD Aspherical (IF) +7 more
PerTulip Senior Member • Posts: 1,056

c h u n k wrote:

Beachcomber Joe wrote:

I do use lightroom. Where in the library module? I will try to google.

In the "Metadata" menu.

Tip: before starting a shooting, such as a wedding, make a photo of  a watch (with seconds) with each camera. Then, in Lightroom, you can shift (using the batch correct function) the capture time to that time. SInce you are even setting the seconds, all the photos will neatly come together in the library. If the cameras are, let's say 40 seconds apart, single events (cuttting cake,...) will be shifted between cameras. If you correct that and the shift is +/- 1 second, it will make your life easier.

It's faster and easier than setting the time in the clumsy camera menus.

PerTulip's gear list:PerTulip's gear list
Nikon D5 Nikon D850 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.4G +5 more
Beachcomber Joe

Here is how to correct the time or date:

• Determine how much of an adjustment needs to be made. 
  • In the Library module, select all the photos that need to be corrected.
  • In the right hand column, scroll down to Metadata and open the panel
  • At the top of the panel select Default for the metadata type to display
  • Scroll to Capture Time and click on the time.
  • Make the appropriate adjustment in the popup window
  • All the selected photos will be adjusted by the same amount

If you are a Canon shooter, Canon's free EOS Utility allows you to sync multiple cameras to your computer's time.  We do this when shooting events with multiple cameras.

Michael Fryd
Michael Fryd Forum Pro • Posts: 10,375

Photo Mechanic can do this.  They offer a 30 day free trial.  It's available for Mac or Windows.

You can select all the images taken with a particular camera serial number, and apply the same offset to all those images.

If you haven't yet changed the clocks on the cameras you used, grab them and take a photo of a clock (with second hand) with each camera.

In Photo Mechanic select all the images with a particular serial number.  Go to the image of the clock, and then enter the time displayed on the clock.  Photo Mechanic will figure out the offset, and you can apply it to all images.

Michael Fryd's gear list:Michael Fryd's gear list
Nikon Coolpix AW130 Canon EOS D60 Canon EOS 7D Mark II Canon EOS 5DS Canon EOS 5D Mark IV +15 more
c h u n k

Beachcomber Joe wrote:

If you are a Canon shooter, Canon's free EOS Utility allows you to sync multiple cameras to your computer's time. We do this when shooting events with multiple cameras.

I dont use Canons software much, but I have it. I manually synced my cameras a couple months ago. Is it normal for them to shift?

Thanks for the help. Ill figure out how to sync in DPP and do it before events in the future. This isnt my first time with this issue, but I just happened to use my 2nd camera more than normal recently.

-- hide signature --

Pontoneer Senior Member • Posts: 2,990

c h u n k wrote:

Beachcomber Joe wrote:

If you are a Canon shooter, Canon's free EOS Utility allows you to sync multiple cameras to your computer's time. We do this when shooting events with multiple cameras.

I dont use Canons software much, but I have it. I manually synced my cameras a couple months ago. Is it normal for them to shift?

Thanks for the help. Ill figure out how to sync in DPP and do it before events in the future. This isnt my first time with this issue, but I just happened to use my 2nd camera more than normal recently.

Once set , the time shouldn’t shift .

The only thing I’ve come across is if I leave a camera unused for an extended period, with no battery in , then all date and time settings are lost and need to be re entered- but it wouldn’t show a wrong time .

If going to do another wedding , sync the cameras the night before.

-- hide signature --

With kind regards
Derek.

Pontoneer's gear list:Pontoneer's gear list
Pentax *ist D Pentax K-01 Pentax K-3 Pentax K-1 Pentax smc DA 15mm F4 ED AL Limited +38 more
Guy Parsons
Guy Parsons Forum Pro • Posts: 31,348
Camera clock accuracy.

c h u n k wrote:

With many different cameras in the house, from system cameras to pocket cameras, then after a few months they will all show different times.

They are generally just as accurate as the average $2 wall clock that uses a battery.

Sync by setting the times again to the same minute/second before any event or trip. Resync when changing time zones, so the morning shots really show as being in the morning.

Regards..... Guy

Guy Parsons's gear list:Guy Parsons's gear list
Olympus PEN E-P5 Sony RX100 VI Olympus PEN E-PL1 Olympus PEN E-P3 Olympus PEN E-PL5 +2 more
Beachcomber Joe

c h u n k wrote:

In my experience the shift is little to none over periods of a few months.

Not DPP, EOS Utility.  Both are part of the software package that comes with Canon EOS cameras.

Michael Fryd
Michael Fryd Forum Pro • Posts: 10,375

c h u n k wrote:

Beachcomber Joe wrote:

The Camera's primary purpose is not to be a clock.  It is normal for the internal clock to drift over time.

Canon cameras with Built-in GPS can be set to auto-sync the time to the GPS system.

For the Canon 6DII, put the GPS in "mode 2". This enables the GPS when the camera is on, but turns it off when the camera is off. Enable "auto time setting" and the camera's internal clock will resynchronize with the GPS system (which provides an extremely accurate time signal).

When synced to GPS, your camera's internal clock should not drift over time.

All you have to do is to remember to turn daylight saving time on/off and set the time zone when you travel.

Michael Fryd's gear list:Michael Fryd's gear list
Nikon Coolpix AW130 Canon EOS D60 Canon EOS 7D Mark II Canon EOS 5DS Canon EOS 5D Mark IV +15 more
c h u n k

Thanks all for the help! I did the adjustment in lightroom just as directed and it worked just as described. Think it was still off by like 10 seconds or so, but it doesnt really matter - that only left like 2 or 3 out of order....much better than 500

-- hide signature --

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads