Compression is Real

100mm

164mm

271mm

312mm

400mm

Any questions?

JackM's gear list:JackM's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark IV Canon EF 100mm f/2.0 USM Canon EF 70-200mm F2.8L IS II USM Canon EF 24-70mm F2.8L II USM Canon EF 16-35mm F4L IS USM +5 more
Blue Jam New Member • Posts: 24
I have a question.

What is your point, caller?

JackM
OP JackM Veteran Member • Posts: 8,496
Re: I have a question.

Blue Jam wrote:

What is your point, caller?

If you have to ask, you wouldn't understand.

Canon EOS 5D Mark IV Canon EF 100mm f/2.0 USM Canon EF 70-200mm F2.8L IS II USM Canon EF 24-70mm F2.8L II USM Canon EF 16-35mm F4L IS USM +5 more
Wheatfield7
Wheatfield7 Veteran Member • Posts: 6,601
Re: Compression is Real

JackM wrote:

100mm

164mm

271mm

312mm

400mm

Any questions?

Did you figure this out on your own or did someone help you?

Oh that's really clever. You're riffing on the phrase, "if you you have to ask, you can't afford it", the implication being that one might not have the wealth required. Only, you are implying that I might be to stupid to understand your point.

Well, lets put that to the test. Indulge me, and elucidate.

JackM

Wheatfield7 wrote:

JackM wrote

Any questions?

Did you figure this out on your own or did someone help you?

It’s my rebuttal to a number of recent pedantic articles and posts.

JackM

Blue Jam wrote:

Oh that's really clever. You're riffing on the phrase, "if you you have to ask, you can't afford it", the implication being that one might not have the wealth required. Only, you are implying that I might be to stupid to understand your point.

I’m not riffing on anything, that’s in your imagination.

As I said below, this is just my rebuttal to a number of recent pedantic articles and posts.

richiebee
richiebee Veteran Member • Posts: 3,675

JackM wrote:

Which ones?

richiebee's gear list:richiebee's gear list
Nikon D610 Nikon D500 Nikon D850 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.4G +17 more
Ron Poelman
Ron Poelman Veteran Member • Posts: 7,071
Semantics St. again ? What is proved here

that can't be endlessly confused and obfuscated with more wordage ?
Your lenses work; good, be happy.

-- hide signature --

Ron.
Volunteer, what could possibly go wrong ?

Ron Poelman's gear list:Ron Poelman's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-H2 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-R1 Sony SLT-A57 Sony a7R Sony a77 II +19 more
24IS
24IS Senior Member • Posts: 1,292

Blue Jam wrote:

You're probably not too stupid to understand. It's hard to figure out what OP is talking about, here. Compression? I expect had the OP used the term 'perspective,' you would have understood the point that he was trying to illustrate.

Changing the focal length of a lens doesn't affect the perspective of the picture. But, subject distance does. As the photographer moves away from the subject, adjusting the focal length to maintain foreground content at the same size, the ratio of the distance between foreground subjects and the background changes. The distance between the subject and the camera controls the size relationships between objects in the picture. The focal length of the lens controls the size of everything in the picture, but as a whole, not individually. Stay in the same spot, and change the focal length, and there is no change in perspective at all.

stevedavidsonphotography Senior Member • Posts: 1,372

You can see it in selfies all the time.  The nose looks large compared to the ears if the camera is too close.

stevedavidsonphotography's gear list:stevedavidsonphotography's gear list
Canon EOS 6D Canon EOS Rebel SL1 Canon EF 28-135mm F3.5-5.6 IS USM Canon EF 70-200mm F4L USM Canon EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS STM
stevo23 Forum Pro • Posts: 20,895
Scratching?

So you're the one in the image scratching his bum? Is that what you mean by compression?

stevo23's gear list:stevo23's gear list
Fujifilm X-Pro2 Fujifilm XF 60mm F2.4 R Macro Fujifilm XF 14mm F2.8 R Fujifilm XF 27mm F2.8 Fujifilm XF 23mm F1.4 R +3 more
dwalby Veteran Member • Posts: 5,874

JackM wrote:

400mm

Any questions?

are the skies really that beige color, or is that a "compression artifact"

JackM wrote:

Blue Jam wrote:

I’m not riffing on anything, that’s in your imagination.

As I said below, this is just my rebuttal to a number of recent pedantic articles and posts.

I see. Well, I don't think that taking a number of photo's from different places really does anything to contradict a single thing in those articles (I will guess at the ones you mean, since you haven't linked to them), especially with no narrative to help your case - whatever that might actually be.

As for the riffing, it's not my imagination, it's there in black and white. You literally said I wouldn't be able to understand. Which is ironic, as since we have teased out a little bit more of what your five word post meant, I think it proves that you are the one who doesn't understand the matter at hand. I might be wrong, but you've not given us much to go on.

Pixel Pooper Senior Member • Posts: 2,990

JackM wrote:

You seem to have missed the point of those articles, which is not that compression doesn't exist, but that it is caused by perspective rather than focal length.

Wellington100 Forum Pro • Posts: 11,764
Comprehension is Real

JackM wrote:

100mm

164mm

271mm

312mm

400mm

Any questions?

As an alien to your fine shores, I am not sure what cultural phenomenon I am looking at. Are the lads praying or singing the national anthem?

-- hide signature --

MOGA ( Make Olympus Great Again)

Wellington100's gear list:Wellington100's gear list
Ricoh GR Fujifilm FinePix S5 Pro Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM1 Fujifilm X-T1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX85 +15 more
JackM
Re: Comprehension is Real

Baseball team post-game meeting.

jrtrent Veteran Member • Posts: 5,028
of course compression is real

JackM wrote:

Any questions?

Just curiosity about the "pedantic articles and posts" you referred to.  I guess I missed them.

Tuloom Veteran Member • Posts: 3,097

Absolutely, I see tons of jpeg artifacts.

ajs jones New Member • Posts: 4

Yup - but it's caused by moving the camera - FL is irrelevant. Stay in one place and change the FL, = no compression

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads