SmugMug Privacy Policy

Started 6 months ago | Discussions
BobT3218 Regular Member • Posts: 183
SmugMug Privacy Policy

SmugMug have announced they have changed their privacy policy.  It might be an idea for DPR to provide a rundown on what this actually means and the impact, if any, on us mug users.

BobT3218's gear list:BobT3218's gear list
Olympus E-M1 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm F1.8 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 60mm 1:2.8 Macro Olympus 12-40mm F2.8 Olympus E-450 +3 more
Mike_PEAT Forum Pro • Posts: 13,309
ANY site that has users from Europe has done this!

BobT3218 wrote:

SmugMug have announced they have changed their privacy policy. It might be an idea for DPR to provide a rundown on what this actually means and the impact, if any, on us mug users.

Why? DPR doesn't own SmugMug!

Due to a law in Europe (called General Data Protection Regulation or GDPR) that came into effect May 25th the majority of websites out there have had to update their privacy polices this week, even if the website itself wasn't hosted in Europe, as long as they had the potential of having visitors from Europe that site had to update their privacy policy.

If DPR had to provide a rundown for EVERY site that updated their site due to the GDPR law it would take months to read it all...not to mention DPR wouldn't have time to do anything else if they had to explain the privacy policy of every photo site!

It's up to YOU to read and understand a site's privacy statement...if you don't understand it you should consult a lawyer.

OP BobT3218 Regular Member • Posts: 183
Re: ANY site that has users from Europe has done this!

Thanks!  I understand your position.  I wasn't being critical.  This was just be way of suggestion that your readers may be interested in an article on this subject which "may" profoundly affect some of them.

Olympus E-M1 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm F1.8 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 60mm 1:2.8 Macro Olympus 12-40mm F2.8 Olympus E-450 +3 more
Mike_PEAT Forum Pro • Posts: 13,309
Actually, GDPR affects almost EVERY site!

BobT3218 wrote:

Thanks! I understand your position. I wasn't being critical. This was just be way of suggestion that your readers may be interested in an article on this subject which "may" profoundly affect some of them.

Not just SOME readers...over the last few days I must have gotten over a dozen emails from websites I'm on as well as from companies who I bought products from whom I registered with the manufacturer. It isn't just Smugug, and it isn't just photography related sites!

Again ANY site, INCLUDING DPReview (if they haven't already), has had to update their privacy policy this week to comply with the GDPR law, if they have visitors who are in Europe.

There are sites out there that explains GDPR, so there doesn't need to be a special article just to explain SmugMug's GDPR privacy policy.

The whole idea of GDPR is to protect your privacy (even if you're not in Europe).

foot Veteran Member • Posts: 3,569

BobT3218 wrote:

Thanks! I understand your position. I wasn't being critical. This was just be way of suggestion that your readers may be interested in an article on this subject which "may" profoundly affect some of them.

Suddenly it now seems like website keep asking to send desktop notifications.  Why does a website need to do that???

Now I also hate web-sites with anything "facebook" on them, since if you're not a member they "need" to scrape your data for "security"...hmmm

foot's gear list:foot's gear list
Sigma dp2 Quattro
Szumi Contributing Member • Posts: 791

I think they want to 'push' some trivia your way along with ads.  I'm not for sure as I've never agreed to let it happen.

Szumi's gear list:Szumi's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX7 Canon EOS 6D Canon EOS 700D Canon EOS 7D Mark II Canon EF 200mm f/2.8L II USM +12 more
Tatouzou
Tatouzou Senior Member • Posts: 1,624
Re: Actually, GDPR affects almost EVERY site!

Mike_PEAT wrote:

BobT3218 wrote:

Not just SOME readers...over the last few days I must have gotten over a dozen emails from websites I'm on as well as from companies who I bought products from whom I registered with the manufacturer. It isn't just Smugug, and it isn't just photography related sites!

Again ANY site, INCLUDING DPReview (if they haven't already), has had to update their privacy policy this week to comply with the GDPR law, if they have visitors who are in Europe.

There are sites out there that explains GDPR, so there doesn't need to be a special article just to explain SmugMug's GDPR privacy policy.

The whole idea of GDPR is to protect your privacy (even if you're not in Europe).

European Union (EU) governments and member of parliaments have prepared this GPDR regulation in concertation with the Internet industry represntatives to protect the private data of EU citizens.

The regulation applies to all companies that use or keep personal data of EU citizens after may 25th 2018.

As EU is the world's most important economic area (over 500 millions people in wealthy countries), most companies have chosen to apply the same Internet privacy policy world wide, like other industries (electronics, chemistry, a.s.o.) did before: business is easier if you apply the same rules worldwide.

This regulation requires companies to warn citizens about how their personal data are collected and used.

You can either accept the default new privacy rules, or, sometimes, go deeper in the company policy to specify your preferences.

If you answer you dont accept the new rules (either default or customized), your personal data must be erased from the company's computers and your account must be closed.

Many companies have considered that if you dont reply to their mail, this means you agree with their default policy. Some companies consider that if you dont answer, you disagree.

This is explained in their mails. No need to worry or ask a lawyer, as it cannot be worse than before.

-- hide signature --
 Tatouzou's gear list:Tatouzou's gear list
Pentax K-3 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM5 Pentax smc DA 17-70mm F4.0 AL (IF) SDM Pentax smc DA 70mm F2.4 AL Limited Pentax smc DA 18-135mm F3.5-5.6ED AL [IF] DC WR +23 more
OP BobT3218 Regular Member • Posts: 183
Re: Actually, GDPR affects almost EVERY site!

Thanks Tatouzou,

That's the sort of run down I was looking for.  However, it still worries me that one probably should read every privacy policy instead of just clicking the box because as you say there can be significant differences. What a PITA but I guess it's for the better.

fishy wishy
fishy wishy Veteran Member • Posts: 8,385
Re: SmugMug Privacy Policy

I thought everybody knew that companies were sending out these emails to keep database contacts legitimately live by getting a response back from you. If you don't click on their links they'll probably have to drop you off their spam list.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads