Does the V3 grip work for you?

Started 4 months ago | Discussions
Stefan BW Senior Member • Posts: 1,045
Does the V3 grip work for you?

I've got my V3 last week. First thought: the optional grip is a pain. I much prefer to leave it at home, when I shoot with my V3 + CX70-300. With a long lens, the left hand supports the lens anyway. It is no help to add this grip. That's my impression after a few days.

I saw in an older thread that Brandon Birder had the same preference, to use the V3 + CX70-300 without the grip. So I am not alone...

Anybody who likes the V3 grip?

Stefan BW's gear list:Stefan BW's gear list
Nikon 1 V2 Nikon 1 Nikkor VR 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6
Nikon 1 V3
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Hiwhat
Hiwhat Regular Member • Posts: 167
Re: Does the V3 grip work for you?

I like it but I use the V3 without a strap...the thing helps me to literally get a grip I also like the additional Fn button you get with it attached.

On the other hand, the camera works totally fine without it!!

Hiwhat's gear list:Hiwhat's gear list
Fujifilm X100F Nikon 1 V1 Nikon 1 V3 Nikon 1 J5 Nikon 1 Nikkor VR 6.7-13mm f/3.5-5.6 +2 more
Parry Johnson Senior Member • Posts: 1,167

Hiwhat wrote:

I like it but I use the V3 without a strap...the thing helps me to literally get a grip I also like the additional Fn button you get with it attached.

On the other hand, the camera works totally fine without it!!

Exactly why I like my grip, too.  Sure, it's annoying to change batteries, but battery power is quite good, so usually not a hassle.  Caution, however, as you only need to have the grip wiggle loose only once and you'll be constantly checking that it's tightened.

Parry Johnson's gear list:Parry Johnson's gear list
Nikon D800 Nikon 1 V1 Nikon D7100 Nikon 1 V3 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED +18 more
OP Stefan BW Senior Member • Posts: 1,045

Perhaps I'll get the charm of the grip later on. My first day with it was a disaster, it was working loose and I got all kind of weird messages. I also had a string of misses when birds took off, the slow reaction from the V3 (as opposed to the V2) was puzzling. So I thought there must be an extra lag from the grip use. Too much communication, viz:

Grip to camera: "User presses button."

Camera to grip: "Are you sure? More silly bird pictures?"

Grip to camera: "Yes. Come on, it's our job." - - -

Anyway, from day 2 onwards I did much better without the grip. When I have developed a better understanding - and trust - of the V3 I'll try the grip again. But any gram counts.

I've bought four replacement batteries (Baxxtar). Nikon's original lasts a bit longer. The long time of recharging (3 hrs or so) is more of a problem. Maybe I'll get a dual charger. Other than that I love the V3. The EVF is sheer pleasure and a major improvement. The AF experience is very different, but that's OK. A new tool in the toolbox, so to say.

JJoyce4699
JJoyce4699 Contributing Member • Posts: 611

Mine is always on, I prefer the shutter button & front wheel positions that match my DSLRs. I regularly shoot my V3/6.7-13 and D750/70-200 as a pair during events.

I can swap a battery in under 30sec if I rush, it has never been an issue.

Stefan BW wrote:

I've got my V3 last week. First thought: the optional grip is a pain. I much prefer to leave it at home, when I shoot with my V3 + CX70-300. With a long lens, the left hand supports the lens anyway. It is no help to add this grip. That's my impression after a few days.

I saw in an older thread that Brandon Birder had the same preference, to use the V3 + CX70-300 without the grip. So I am not alone...

JJoyce4699's gear list:JJoyce4699's gear list
Canon G7 X II Nikon 1 V3 Nikon D750 Nikon D7200 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED +8 more
photoreddi Veteran Member • Posts: 7,973

Stefan BW wrote:

LIke? Love it!

OP Stefan BW Senior Member • Posts: 1,045

photoreddi wrote:

LIke? Love it!

The V3 feels more professional with the grip, that's true. For people who are familiar with a DSLR it may feel just right.

For my birding activity the basic body with its mini grip is sufficient. The 118g of the grip are not much, but still... "every gram counts".

The real sensation of my first V3 contact was the electronic viewfinder. It is a brilliant piece of equipment, a major improvement over the V2's viewfinder. Also, it seems to me, the buffer clears faster than the V2's.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads