Oled TV, Windows and AdobeRGB photos

Started May 23, 2018 | Discussions
bruschini Junior Member • Posts: 25
Oled TV, Windows and AdobeRGB photos

Hi. I have an OLED 65E7 and i want to buy a PC with AMD G2200 for display my photos developed in AdobeRGB.

1) How i can set the TV into wide gamut mode? (Rec.2020 or DCI-P3). From PC or from TV?

2) HDR? Works only for video or also for PC desktop and photo show?

3) Is there a color profile (.icc) for TV Oled LG?

4) I have an Eizo EX3 Calibration Sensor (the same of Spyder 5). Can I use DisplayCal to profile Oled TV in wide gamut mode? How?

Thanks, sorry for my bed english.

bruschini's gear list:bruschini's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LF1 Sony SLT-A68 Sigma 70-200mm F2.8 EX DG Macro HSM II Sony 50mm F2.8 Macro Tamron SP AF 17-50mm F/2.8 XR Di II LD Aspherical (IF) +3 more
Brian_Flex Forum Member • Posts: 66
Re: Oled TV, Windows and AdobeRGB photos

We have a TV like that at work, it produces amazing pictures. Would be good for a photo slideshow.

Majority of TV's only display the REC709 colour space. Why are you looking to change it? Images will appear milky, as most deliverables are in 709.

Uncertain of your question pertaining to HDR, forgive me if I misunderstand you, but essentially HDR TV's are able to reproduce information retained in the bright highlights with less clipping, and in the shadows without producing excessive noise. The images look cleaner.

If your computer grading monitor is calibrated correctly, you could adjust the TV settings by eye to what the monitor is showing. The TV is IPS, so you could calibrate if you wish. Try doing it by eye first.

Where will the photos be displayed? Dark room or bright? That'll effect the calibration of the environment.

OP bruschini Junior Member • Posts: 25

Thanks. I have an Eizo CS2420 monitor and develope and display my AdobeRGB photos in wide gamut colorspace.

I'd like to do the same with the Oled.

BT709 is similar to sRGB. I'd like to dispaly photos in the wider Rec.2020 color space. I think that i need to enable WCG, load a wide gamut .ICC (i will create it by Eizo EX3 and DisplayCal) and use a program that support CMS (mediaportal or Acdsee).

It will be possible? I don't want to buy a new PC if it will not works like i want.

Panasonic Lumix DMC-LF1 Sony SLT-A68 Sigma 70-200mm F2.8 EX DG Macro HSM II Sony 50mm F2.8 Macro Tamron SP AF 17-50mm F/2.8 XR Di II LD Aspherical (IF) +3 more

From the perspective of grading RAW video, the idea is to capture in the wide colour space and display at 709/sRGB. This is how a colourist will do it.

I can send you a link to some 4K video footage which we've screened on the TV at 709 and it's amazing.

Mike_PEAT Forum Pro • Posts: 13,344
Why buy a new PC???

bruschini wrote:

It will be possible? I don't want to buy a new PC if it will not works like i want.

Why would you need to buy a new PC if the TV can't display the AdobeRGB colour space???

TVs (unless specified otherwise) that have computer connections have always been limited to sRGB.  If you want to display the aRGB colour space you need a wide gamut MONITOR.

The easiest solution would be to convert to sRGB the images you want to display on the TV, or put up with the colour differences of your aRGB images.

Craig Gillette Forum Pro • Posts: 12,424

I've had my LG OLED for a while. This thread continues for a while past the point of the link. It should give you the starting point for setting things up.

http://www.avsforum.com/forum/139-display-calibration/2853954-lg-2017-oled-calibration-thread-settings-22.html#post54906032

My PC's onboard graphics card is limited to 1920x1080 nor do I have an installed Blu-Ray player (nor required intensive graphics processing capabilities)   so direct connection wouldn't take full advantage of the LG's capabilities.  However it will display compatible higher resolution files through the various inputs, from the PC or USB drives, etc. and, of course, HDR from connected compatible Blu Ray players or streaming sources.

You can follow the thread for discussions of calibration, etc.  I did a couple of test  images, choosing Pro Photo, Adobe RGB and SRGB from Lightroom and it was hard to see differences between AdobeRGB and SRGB.  The Pro Photo was less satisfactory.  Room viewing conditions, etc., can impact the way images appear so calibration and viewing results vary.  And shared files results will vary from display to display.

You might want to check, there may be a separate thread for the E7 tvs.

Tom_N Forum Pro • Posts: 20,442
Re: Why buy a new PC???

Mike_PEAT wrote:

bruschini wrote:

Why would you need to buy a new PC if the TV can't display the AdobeRGB colour space???

TVs (unless specified otherwise) that have computer connections have always been limited to sRGB. If you want to display the aRGB colour space you need a wide gamut MONITOR.

You are probably correct about NTSC, PAL, and HDTVs being narrow gamut.  But the OP may have (haven't looked it up) an Ultra HD (so-called "4K") TV.

I believe that the Ultra HD TV standards allow for wide gamut (DCI P3) and high dynamic range (HDR).  That's not to say that every Ultra HD TV implements them well, but, at this point, many probably do.

DCI P3 isn't identical to Adobe RGB, but the two have substantial overlap and both are a lot wider than sRGB.

How you would enable those features when the signal source is a PC, I don't know.

Tom_N Forum Pro • Posts: 20,442

Craig Gillette wrote:

I did a couple of test images, choosing Pro Photo, Adobe RGB and SRGB from Lightroom and it was hard to see differences between AdobeRGB and SRGB. The Pro Photo was less satisfactory. Room viewing conditions, etc., can impact the way images appear so calibration and viewing results vary. And shared files results will vary from display to display.

Other people who are much more knowledgeable about color spaces than I am have written that Pro Photo is MUCH wider than what any monitor or TV can display, or any printer can reproduce.

The point of Pro Photo is apparently to have an intermediate color space that won't lose much, if any, information during editing – not for it to be the final output color space.

The LG OLEDs are UHD/HDR displays. The inputs can be set to accept HDR. Lightroom has "Display P3" as one of it's several export color spaces.  I've exported some images using that but aside from using them on my TV, they don't provide any advantage for display on typical monitors, sharing online or the like.

I went back and looked at my sample set again. Turns out I did save in 4 color spaces. I can't readily tell the difference between the AdobeRGB and Display P3 images, there is some difference between those two and the SRGB, and the Pro Photo doesn't display as nicely as the others. But that's specific to that original image, display conditions and (lack of) calibration or any color tuning or selection of an original that might be particularly suited to showing off the potential wider gamut, etc. Just one D7200 NEF image exported in 4 color spaces.

So to the extent a really narrow sample shows, the LG OLED can display images saved in those color spaces that apparently do show differences.  I don't believe it has the capability to display as wide a range as the Eizo, though. The display differences would, I'd think, show up due to a smaller gamut on the display in comparison to the Eizo.  So side by side uses may show a difference?

Maybe display card resolution or refresh rates might call for a new card?  You might need a new PC if you want to stream UHD/HDR content if wanting a compatible internal HDR Blu Ray player.

Mike_PEAT wrote:

bruschini wrote:

My actual PC is old and is not 4k capable.

TVs (unless specified otherwise) that have computer connections have always been limited to sRGB.

where i can find information about this?

Tom_N wrote:

Craig Gillette wrote:

I did a couple of test images, choosing Pro Photo, Adobe RGB and SRGB from Lightroom and it was hard to see differences between AdobeRGB and SRGB. The Pro Photo was less satisfactory. Room viewing conditions, etc., can impact the way images appear so calibration and viewing results vary. And shared files results will vary from display to display.

Other people who are much more knowledgeable about color spaces than I am have written that Pro Photo is MUCH wider than what any monitor or TV can display, or any printer can reproduce.

The point of Pro Photo is apparently to have an intermediate color space that won't lose much, if any, information during editing – not for it to be the final output color space.

I don't know of any TV's which display any other gamut than REC709. If you are viewing multiple photos in different colour spaces, they may look different, but that's because the TV doesn't know how to reproduce the hues the image is asking for. From the perspective of a colour grader, all monitoring is done in 709. You have the ability to adjust the white balance/picture settings/black point, but it's not changing the gamut.

We have the same TV for monitoring at work. As it's IPS, we can calibrate the luminance of each pixel to ensure an even latitude over the image.

Brian_Flex wrote:

I don't know of any TV's which display any other gamut than REC709.

Have you already tested this?
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4040263/windows-10-hdr-advanced-color-settings

bruschini wrote:

Brian_Flex wrote:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4040263/windows-10-hdr-advanced-color-settings

You are 100% correct, and I humbly apologize for note including HDR in my response. For this particular case regarding displaying photos on a TV, I don't believe HDR will improve an SDR photo per se. The TV requires the input (i.e. 6G) to be represented in the required colour space.

My knowledge is only based on our camera which records in both HDR and SDR, and how we monitor it on set. We can take a still from the footage and view it, but I don't know about photo cameras when capturing in AdobeRGB/ sRGB.

I'd like to be the first to be proved wrong, then I'll have learnt something incredible.

KWNJr Contributing Member • Posts: 924

Brian_Flex wrote:

bruschini wrote:

Brian_Flex wrote:

Some monitors used for production might, at prices ~ >$10,000 for say a 19" or 27" monitor. See:

https://pro.sony/ue_US/products/broadcast-monitors

You are 100% correct, and I humbly apologize for note including HDR in my response. For this particular case regarding displaying photos on a TV, I don't believe HDR will improve an SDR photo per se. The TV requires the input (i.e. 6G) to be represented in the required colour space.

My knowledge is only based on our camera which records in both HDR and SDR, and how we monitor it on set. We can take a still from the footage and view it, but I don't know about photo cameras when capturing in AdobeRGB/ sRGB.

I'd like to be the first to be proved wrong, then I'll have learnt something incredible.

HDMI 2.1 was released last year see HDMI 2.1 and Comparisons of HDMI versions in:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/HDMI#Version_2.1

Very few TVs or monitors or sources meet this spec yet. For the highest spec/performance it requires a new HDMI cable too, labeled 48G for 48 Gigabits/second.

I do not know if any available product uses this version, it includes the possibility of 8K,

10 bit/color, HDR, 120Hz. Bit of course nothing requires a mfg to offer all features allowed under a standard.

I pulled a still from some footage recorded in RED WIDE GAMUT and converted to DPX in Rec.2020 for HDR. It was recorded in 8K and I've down-sampled to UHD.

The colours look washed out, but that's how it's represented on a 709 monitor. See what you can do with it on the TV in HDR mode.

Here's what a standard grade looks like converted from RED WIDE GAMUT.

The Eizo monitor is an ips lcd display. The LG OLED television is not an ips lcd.

I have the B7P. The OP has a 65" E7 discussed in the review.

The article discusses the wider color gamuts a variety of TVs can operate in.

https://www.rtings.com/tv/tests/picture-quality/wide-color-gamut-rec-709-dci-p3-rec-2020

https://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/lg/e7-oled

The OLED tvs do operate in a wider space than earlier tvs.  How it's going to look side by side with the Eizo monitor?  Don't know.  But it's not a plain old sdr tv.

Craig Gillette wrote:

The Eizo monitor is an ips lcd display. The LG OLED television is not an ips lcd.

I have the B7P. The OP has a 65" E7 discussed in the review.

The article discusses the wider color gamuts a variety of TVs can operate in.

https://www.rtings.com/tv/tests/picture-quality/wide-color-gamut-rec-709-dci-p3-rec-2020

https://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/lg/e7-oled

The OLED tvs do operate in a wider space than earlier tvs. How it's going to look side by side with the Eizo monitor? Don't know. But it's not a plain old sdr tv.

The LG E7 is IPS. We've calibrated them.

Now i have HTPC with Ryzen 2200G connected to LG Oled 65E7.

I can enable WCG and HDR in windows 10 control panel and display my wide gamut photos on TV by mediaportal.

They are FANTASTIC!!!! You must try it!!!

I'd like to switch on WCG and HDR automatically whe i run mediaportla. it is possible? (by command line or external program).

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads