D40 - no hi ISO capability, no in-body focus motor

Started 6 months ago | Discussions
photoeng Senior Member • Posts: 1,150
D40 - no hi ISO capability, no in-body focus motor

but I still use it!

The shot is not tack sharp and super noisy in the shadows, so I converted to B/W.

But the image brings me delight.. and unfortunately for Nikon - I don't ever seek to upgrade my gear till it falls apart.

Perhaps I'll by a D7500 to show my support for the company.. don't know what I'd use it for though

50mm F1.4 N-AI

-- hide signature --

David

photoeng's gear list:photoeng's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX5 Nikon D70s Nikon D300 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 55-200mm f/4-5.6G VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G II +7 more
Nikon D40 Nikon D7500
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
TacticDesigns
TacticDesigns Veteran Member • Posts: 5,117
Re: D40 - no hi ISO capability, no in-body focus motor

photoeng wrote:

but I still use it!

The shot is not tack sharp and super noisy in the shadows, so I converted to B/W.

But the image brings me delight.. and unfortunately for Nikon - I don't ever seek to upgrade my gear till it falls apart.

Perhaps I'll by a D7500 to show my support for the company.. don't know what I'd use it for though

+1

Great capture! I love it!

As for no hi iso capability . . . at least the D40 had ISO3200, which our D70s cameras did not.

That was the main reason I ended up upgrading was to have better high ISO (and in the case of my D70s . . . at least ISO 3200) in order to chase my growing kids around at indoor sports with an f/2.8 zoom.

For me, the keepers I've gotten has been worth the upgrades.

Take care & Happy Shooting!

-- hide signature --
 TacticDesigns's gear list:TacticDesigns's gear list
Fujifilm XP80 Pentax *ist DS Nikon D5100 Pentax Q Nikon D750 +8 more
fPrime
fPrime Senior Member • Posts: 2,476
Re: D40 - no hi ISO capability, no in-body focus motor

photoeng wrote:

but I still use it!

The D40 was a classic! Along with the D60 it scored the highest SMI color accuracy ever recorded for a Nikon camera body.

If a minty D40 ever shows up on my local Craigslist for a reasonable price, I'll surely pick it up to add to my collection. The problem seems to be that those who own them know better than to give them up, lol.

fPrime

-- hide signature --

Half of my heart is a shotgun wedding to a bride with a paper ring,
And half of my heart is the part of a man who's never truly loved anything.

fPrime's gear list:fPrime's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Fujifilm FinePix S5 Pro Nikon D1X Nikon D200 Nikon D700
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads