Switch LEE Holder vs Nisi v5 pro?

Started 10 months ago | Discussions
Kaitlyn Regular Member • Posts: 454
Switch LEE Holder vs Nisi v5 pro?

Nisi absolutely comes up a ton more in social media as I see all these "ambassadors" promoting it as they seem to be resellers. Recently I decided to actually take a look though, and the v5 pro seems interesting indeed.

The idea of the "internal CPL" looks very interesting on paper, though of course I have no idea in practice.

The only other standout item I've noticed is that apart from the included step-up rings, the "holder adapter" actually screws on, making it difficult (time consuming) to switch between lenses.

Lastly it seems the nisi system has a smaller footprint, which is of course nice!

I haven't really seen too much of a comparison between the v5 pro and LEE. Anyone have some experience between the two? Has anyone made the switch to the v5 Pro? It seems all the glass is interchangeable, which means the switch could be just the holder or more of a gradual switch...

Koban
Koban Regular Member • Posts: 486
Re: Switch LEE Holder vs Nisi v5 pro?

I switched from the Lee landscape CPL to the NiSi landscape CPL. The NiSi V5 Pro works great on my Sony 16-35 GM. No vignetting when using cpl and two (G)ND filters. With the Lee filter holder I had a lot of vignetting when using the CPL.

I stil have two filter holders from Lee. But not using them that often any more. Like the NiSi V5 Pro beter. And also fits my Lee (G)ND filters like the Big and Little stopper.

-- hide signature --

" The camera is an instrument that teaches me how to see without a camera "[Website] - https://wagner.photography

akustykmagmanetpl Senior Member • Posts: 1,006

Nisi absolutely comes up a ton more in social media as I see all these "ambassadors" promoting it as they seem to be resellers. Recently I decided to actually take a look though, and the v5 pro seems interesting indeed.

The idea of the "internal CPL" looks very interesting on paper, though of course I have no idea in practice.

in practice: if you would like to be able to just add/remove polarizer frequently (ie. don't just leave it on all the time) then Nisi can be very cumbersome. this is a very slim sprocket which is difficult to attach/remove.

otherwise it's excellent. no vignetting all the way down to 16mm on FF, even if you rotate the holder to 45 degress. that won't work with Lee. and the price saving is enormous compared to Lee.

one note though - do yourself a favour and get holder kit including the new Landscape polarizer. Nisi's old polarizer is crappy, has very moderate polarization effect and rather muted colours.

The only other standout item I've noticed is that apart from the included step-up rings, the "holder adapter" actually screws on, making it difficult (time consuming) to switch between lenses.

this depends. I use Nisi (V3 in my case) with two 77mm lenses. then it works like a marvel. I just have the step-up ring screwed tightly into the adapter. and then it's just a matter of unscrewing the entire set (holder, adapter, step-up ring) from one lens to the other.

it is total pain in the * if you are using lenses with different filter size. to me the whole idea of having adapter with 82mm diameter and separate step-up rings is completely retarded. just give me  77mm adapter and I'm good. and let me buy separate 67mm adapter for my telelens. or perhaps another 77mm adapter so I can just switch adapters rather than have to toy with polarizing filter (because it'd spare me a lot of time).

in the end... Nisi works for me, even with it's quirks. but it is a product that clearly has the marks of being developped in warm climate by someone who has never shot in sub zero temperature. because removing Nisi polarizer with bare fingers at -10C is total pain in the a*. and I can't really imagine anyone doing it on purpose, it's just pure lack of real life tests.

Lastly it seems the nisi system has a smaller footprint, which is of course nice!

I haven't really seen too much of a comparison between the v5 pro and LEE. Anyone have some experience between the two? Has anyone made the switch to the v5 Pro? It seems all the glass is interchangeable, which means the switch could be just the holder or more of a gradual switch...

both are 100mm systems and should be interchargable. I use Lee (or Hitech or 84dot5) filters with Nisi V3 and it's perfectly fine, even if Lee grads sit very tight

akustykmagmanetpl's gear list:akustykmagmanetpl's gear list
Canon EOS M5 Canon 6D Mark II Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 USM Canon EF 200mm f/2.8L II USM +8 more
calson Veteran Member • Posts: 9,426

I switched over to the Lee holder as I can use 150mm filters and their adapters for the 19mm tilt shift lens I use as well as my 14-24mm zoom lens. I find it more convenient to have an adapter I can leave on the lens and a separate filter holder.

-- hide signature --

Of all the preposterous assumptions of humanity over humanity, nothing exceeds most of the criticisms made on the habits of the poor by the well-housed, well-warmed, and well-fed. -- Herman Melville

figatz Junior Member • Posts: 37

Regarding the Nisi V5 does anyone knows more about the V5 Alpha ?

It's a cheaper version of the V5 PRO without the polarizer, but I would like to know if the quality is similar and there is no light leakage like in the V5 PRO

figatz's gear list:figatz's gear list
Nikon D5300 Sigma 30mm F1.4 EX DC HSM Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-140mm F3.5-5.6G ED VR Tokina 11-20mm F2.8
TheBlackGrouse
TheBlackGrouse Senior Member • Posts: 2,701

When you screw a polarizer directly on the lens and put the Lee system in front of that you don't need the 105 mm polarizer.

Works fine, I have a B+W MRC brass polarizer that is strong and easy to handle.

Far more simple, smaller and more lightweight system, makes the camera less front heavy.

-- hide signature --

TheBlackGrouse
Active Outdoor Photographer

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads