hp envy laptop

Started May 20, 2018 | Discussions
twainerm Junior Member • Posts: 45
hp envy laptop

Hi All,

Couple of months back, i posted question about laptop recommendation for photo editing. After reading all the responses - I finally decided on this one, please let me know what you think. I do not want to buy a desktop. My second option will be xps15 but that is very expensive. I have used both hp and dell in the past and did not have any bad experience with either.  I will mostly use lightroom - to covert raw into jpeg and some editing. I am not a professional photographer, this is mostly a hobby and i am fairly new to this. thank you all you took time to respond to my questions.

Mark

https://store.hp.com/us/en/pdp/hp-envy-laptop-17t-best-value-2rx66av-1?jumpid=ma_memorial-day-sale-2018~laptops~11~CTO~2RX66AV_1~HP_ENVY_Laptop_-_17t_Best_Value

(unknown member) Veteran Member • Posts: 4,585
Re: hp envy laptop

Understanding the lack of monitor real estate on a smaller sized laptop... my question is do you want to lug around a nearly 7 (6.73) pound 17 laptop everyday?

Other than that I say go with what makes you and your wallet happy as everyone has an opinion and some may not agree with your final choice. With that, realize you are the one that has to live with said notebook, not us!

Good luck.

-- hide signature --

That Windows is the messenger of issues doesn't mean it's the cause of them.

Carey Brown
Carey Brown Senior Member • Posts: 2,208

twainerm wrote:

Hi All,

Couple of months back, i posted question about laptop recommendation for photo editing. After reading all the responses - I finally decided on this one, please let me know what you think. I do not want to buy a desktop. My second option will be xps15 but that is very expensive. I have used both hp and dell in the past and did not have any bad experience with either. I will mostly use lightroom - to covert raw into jpeg and some editing. I am not a professional photographer, this is mostly a hobby and i am fairly new to this. thank you all you took time to respond to my questions.

Mark

https://store.hp.com/us/en/pdp/hp-envy-laptop-17t-best-value-2rx66av-1?jumpid=ma_memorial-day-sale-2018~laptops~11~CTO~2RX66AV_1~HP_ENVY_Laptop_-_17t_Best_Value

The 17" screen is 4k (UHD) which is fine for new software (e.g. Photoshop CC) but for any older software you will probably find that text and/or icons will be very tiny. So, this depends on how much older software you own and plan on continuing to use.

512MB SSD is a bit cramped for photo work. If you have a fairly large archive of photos this may force you to use an external hard drive, which works, but is inconvenient. I would even consider a larger spinning disk drive if available, just to get more capacity, or see if you can bump the SSD up to 1TB.

Definitely go with the Nvidia graphics card.

Carey Brown's gear list:Carey Brown's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M10 IV +1 more
Gesture Veteran Member • Posts: 8,037

Seems to have good specs.  I would check if the RAM and hard drive are user-upgradeable.  Also, is the battery sealed as in Apple MacBook pros.  This is why I like older technology.  I like to be able to switch out the hard drive and battery.

OP twainerm Junior Member • Posts: 45

ADMint wrote:

Understanding the lack of monitor real estate on a smaller sized laptop... my question is do you want to lug around a nearly 7 (6.73) pound 17 laptop everyday?

Other than that I say go with what makes you and your wallet happy as everyone has an opinion and some may not agree on your final choice. Realize you are the one that has to live with said notebook, not us!

Good luck.

I totally agree with you. I do not want a 17 laptop. I was looking for 15 inch one. but HP does not have that in envy series.

My other two choices are:

http://www.dell.com/en-us/shop/dell-laptops/inspiron-15-7000-touch/spd/inspiron-15-7570-laptop/dncwkc109s

http://www.dell.com/en-us/shop/dell-laptops/new-xps-15/spd/xps-15-9570-laptop/dncwxb1656s?selectionState=eyJGUHJpY2UiOjE2OTkuOTksIk9DIjoiZG5jd3hiMTY1NnMiLCJRdHkiOjEsIk1vZHMiOlt7IklkIjo4LCJPcHRzIjpbeyJJZCI6IkdNVkhFMjMifV19LHsiSWQiOjU3MiwiT3B0cyI6W3siSWQiOiJGRzAwMDIifV19XX0%253D

Jim B (MSP) Forum Pro • Posts: 10,802

twainerm wrote:

Hi All,

Couple of months back, i posted question about laptop recommendation for photo editing. After reading all the responses - I finally decided on this one, please let me know what you think. I do not want to buy a desktop. My second option will be xps15 but that is very expensive. I have used both hp and dell in the past and did not have any bad experience with either. I will mostly use lightroom - to covert raw into jpeg and some editing. I am not a professional photographer, this is mostly a hobby and i am fairly new to this. thank you all you took time to respond to my questions.

Mark

I think you will like it.

I have used an Envy 17 for quite a few years with an older 7th gen i7. I did lose a motherboard, but HP replaced it. You will also like the 8th gen i7. Lightroom will work well.  I recently built a new desktop with this in it, and it flies. I use the HP Envy for travel and off site work.

I would spend the an extra $280 and upgrade to the 1TB SSD. Lightroom and Photoshop will run much better (they like some work space) and it will also give you some room for more photos. Plan on buying a large USB hard drive for backup and for storage of "older photos".

I eventually bought a larger 2nd monitor for use with the Envy when I worked at home.

-- hide signature --

Jim
"It's all about the light"

Jim B (MSP)'s gear list:Jim B (MSP)'s gear list
Canon EOS 90D

btw - i customized xps to use 4k display and 512 ssd.

Carey Brown

twainerm wrote:

ADMint wrote:

Other than that I say go with what makes you and your wallet happy as everyone has an opinion and some may not agree on your final choice. Realize you are the one that has to live with said notebook, not us!

Good luck.

I totally agree with you. I do not want a 17 laptop. I was looking for 15 inch one. but HP does not have that in envy series.

My other two choices are:

http://www.dell.com/en-us/shop/dell-laptops/inspiron-15-7000-touch/spd/inspiron-15-7570-laptop/dncwkc109s

http://www.dell.com/en-us/shop/dell-laptops/new-xps-15/spd/xps-15-9570-laptop/dncwxb1656s?selectionState=eyJGUHJpY2UiOjE2OTkuOTksIk9DIjoiZG5jd3hiMTY1NnMiLCJRdHkiOjEsIk1vZHMiOlt7IklkIjo4LCJPcHRzIjpbeyJJZCI6IkdNVkhFMjMifV19LHsiSWQiOjU3MiwiT3B0cyI6W3siSWQiOiJGRzAwMDIifV19XX0%253D

I'd go for the second one. It offers an option of a 1TB SSD drive which I would consider (almost) a must. It also offers a 1920x1080 screen option, which I would consider on a 15" screen, especially if you plan on installing any older software that doesn't support scaling.

Carey Brown wrote:

The 17" screen is 4k (UHD) which is fine for new software (e.g. Photoshop CC) but for any older software you will probably find that text and/or icons will be very tiny. So, this depends on how much older software you own and plan on continuing to use.

There's always the what if in screen size and only the OP knows their eye sight. And you can always scale the monitor to work with software in use.

Also define "older software"?

512MB SSD is a bit cramped for photo work. If you have a fairly large archive of photos this may force you to use an external hard drive, which works, but is inconvenient. I would even consider a larger spinning disk drive if available, just to get more capacity, or see if you can bump the SSD up to 1TB.

Have you honestly looked at the cost of going with a 1TB SSD drive in a notebook??? If so, you wouldn't be so quick to tell someone to opt for that when they're already on a tight budget. I opted to bump my SSD drive in my Lenovo laptop from 512gig to 1TB and that bumped the price by at least $280 bucks.

Anyway, a 512gig SSD drive is plenty when coupled with an external 2TB drive that could be had for less than a hundred bucks later down the road.

Instead of thinking of our needs, let's remember others may have different needs as well as budget restraints.

-- hide signature --

Hi Cary, I understand where you are coming from. I have a 4TB external hard drive so I think 512 is plenty. Since I am just starting in this world, I do not have any existing softwares that i would want to install on a new laptop.

my eye sight is very good. hp envy does not have 15 inch option thats why i went with 17 inch.

this one has similar specs. so this is my other option.

i configured xps similar to above inspiron but it is still way more expensive than inspiron.

do you guys know what is so special about xps?

twainerm wrote:

ADMint wrote:

Something that is often overlooked is going directly to the vendors site and putting a laptop together to suit your needs. Lots of times stores only carry the most popular models.

When I bought my Lenovo laptop, I went to Lenovo's site and customized what I wanted since no store had a model with the specs I wanted.

Also if you're a student, active or retired military, you can often get a discount. As a retired military veteran I got a 10 percent discount on the laptop I purchased. I also qualified as college student but could only get one discount at a time.

Point... they may be other options out there not explored.

Peace:)

-- hide signature --

twainerm wrote:

my eye sight is very good. hp envy does not have 15 inch option thats why i went with 17 inch.

this one has similar specs. so this is my other option.

i configured xps similar to above inspiron but it is still way more expensive than inspiron.

do you guys know what is so special about xps?

aah... it is the GPU.

Carey Brown

ADMint wrote:

Carey Brown wrote:

There's always the what if in screen size and only the OP knows their eye sight. And you can always scale the monitor to work with software in use.

Also define "older software"?

Have you honestly looked at the cost of going with a 1TB SSD drive in a notebook??? If so, you wouldn't be so quick to tell someone to opt for that when they're already on a tight budget. I opted to bump my SSD drive in my Lenovo laptop from 512gig to 1TB and that bumped the price by at least $280 bucks.

Anyway, a 512gig SSD drive is plenty when coupled with an external 2TB drive that could be had for less than a hundred bucks later down the road.

Instead of thinking of our needs, let's remember others may have different needs as well as budget restraints.

These are my suggestions with my reasoning. The OP is perfectly able to choose which reasons may apply to him/her and what choices they make based on their budget. I'm within my rights to offer my opinions. If you feel you have better opinions, by all means, offer them up.

Old: Photoshop CS6, pre CC days. I refuse to subscribe.

Carey Brown wrote:

Old: Photoshop CS6, pre CC days. I refuse to subscribe.

CS6 might have scaling issues, but that's a Photoshop thing, but was fixed in later versions.  I do subscribe and am currently running the latest version of Photoshop CC on a 14 inch laptop with a screen resolution of 2560 x 1440 and it does scale well there.

Another reason to update

-- hide signature --

georgia hiker Junior Member • Posts: 31

twainerm wrote:

aah... it is the GPU.

A slightly faster CPU, faster memory, slight upgrade to the SSD, and a different GPU (which may be better for gaming but not photography)

If you are willing to go with a 1080 screen (like the XPS) you may want to try this:

http://www.dell.com/en-us/shop/dell-laptops/new-dell-g7-15-gaming/spd/g-series-15-7588-laptop/dncwfsb806s

which has similar specs to the XPS, except for the hard drives, and is less expensive

georgia hiker's gear list:georgia hiker's gear list
Olympus XZ-1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-TS3 Olympus E-M5 II Nikon D7200 Nikon Z6 +13 more

georgia hiker wrote:

twainerm wrote:

aah... it is the GPU.

A slightly faster CPU, faster memory, slight upgrade to the SSD, and a different GPU (which may be better for gaming but not photography)

If you are willing to go with a 1080 screen (like the XPS) you may want to try this:

http://www.dell.com/en-us/shop/dell-laptops/new-dell-g7-15-gaming/spd/g-series-15-7588-laptop/dncwfsb806s

which has similar specs to the XPS, except for the hard drives, and is less expensive

i customized xps with uhd screen (4k). based on previous responses, i think resolution is more important than gpu.

twainerm wrote:

i customized xps with uhd screen (4k). based on previous responses, i think resolution is more important than gpu.

No matter what or when you buy it, there's always going to be something better or a better deal to be had.

There are thousands of options out there with many more opinions to match. Don't become paralyzed by over analyzing things.

When I bought my Lenovo notebook last year I immediately regretted I hadn't waited for the next great thing as newer models where released later that year.  It happens.

-- hide signature --

ADMint wrote:

twainerm wrote:

No matter what or when you buy it, there's always going to be something better or a better deal to be had.

There are thousands of options out there with many more opinions to match. Don't become paralyzed by over analyzing things.

When I bought my Lenovo notebook last year I immediately regretted I hadn't waited for the next great thing as newer models where released later that year. It happens.

you are right. i am trying to not have a regret for at least 2-3 years. there are so many options, it drains all the energy looking at this stuff.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads