Canon mark IV 4K video question

Started May 20, 2018 | Discussions
RuneKChristensen New Member • Posts: 19
Canon mark IV 4K video question

Hi.

I would like to hear your experience with using the canon 5d Mark IV for 4K video shooting.

How much space does 1 minute of 4K footage use and which CF card is preferred for this?

thanks

rune

Jon555 Veteran Member • Posts: 7,366
Re: Canon mark IV 4K video question

As I just posted this elsewhere here's the card write speeds:
https://www.cameramemoryspeed.com/canon-5d-mark-iv/sd-cf-card-speed-test/

Jon555's gear list:Jon555's gear list
Nikon Coolpix 950 Fujifilm FinePix Real 3D W3 Sony RX100 V Canon EOS 5DS R Panasonic GH5 +31 more
gavin
gavin Veteran Member • Posts: 8,077

From the manual. I recommend getting a digital version so you can easily search

4K - CF UDMA 7 100MB/s or faster. SD UHS-I Class 3 or higher. 3587Mb/min (pg 359)

FHD - CF UDMA 7 60Mb or fsater. SD UHS-I Class 3 or higher. 1298 Mb/min in MOV and 431Mb/min in MP4

-- hide signature --
 gavin's gear list:gavin's gear list
Sony RX100 III Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS 5D Mark IV Canon EF 50mm F1.4 USM Canon EF-S 17-85mm f/4-5.6 IS USM +5 more
Steven Blackwood Senior Member • Posts: 2,058

No longer have a 5d iv but a 2 minute 4k Time lapse on a 6d ii takes over 7.5 GB.  I found a 51 second video from the Mark iv which took 3.16 GB. This is consistent with the time-lapse size. This compares to about 800MB per minute using ALL-I and 250B using IPB.

The reason for this is that the photo are MJPG. The plus side is that the video resulting is fairly high quality. The downside of course is file size and choppy playback on many systems. This means it is very necessary to process the files.

-- hide signature --

Steve
stevenblackwood1950@gmail.com
Milwaukee WI

Steven Blackwood's gear list:Steven Blackwood's gear list
Canon EOS R Canon EOS R6 Sigma 100-400mm F5-6.3 Canon EF 70-200 F4 II Canon RF 35mm F1.8 IS STM Macro +1 more
JerryriggedTECH
JerryriggedTECH Senior Member • Posts: 1,096

RuneKChristensen wrote:

Hi.

I would like to hear your experience with using the canon 5d Mark IV for 4K video shooting.

How much space does 1 minute of 4K footage use and which CF card is preferred for this?

thanks

rune

With regard to memory cards, I use 256GB CF and 256GB SD cards - and both are Sandisk Extreme Pro.  Writing to the CF card is not a problem at all, but many SD cards won't work. The Sandisk Extreme Pro SD has been shown to be able to keep up with the high data rate of 5D4 4K video.

JerryriggedTECH's gear list:JerryriggedTECH's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark IV Canon EOS R Canon EF 100mm F2.8L Macro IS USM Canon EF 70-200mm F2.8L IS II USM Canon EF 24-70mm F2.8L II USM +5 more
JerryriggedTECH
JerryriggedTECH Senior Member • Posts: 1,096

JerryriggedTECH wrote:

RuneKChristensen wrote:

Hi.

thanks

rune

With regard to memory cards, I use 256GB CF and 256GB SD cards - and both are Sandisk Extreme Pro. Writing to the CF card is not a problem at all, but many SD cards won't work. The Sandisk Extreme Pro SD has been shown to be able to keep up with the high data rate of 5D4 4K video.

I should add that I rarely shoot 4K on my 5D4.  The 1080p is really beautiful, and supposed to be better than 1080p on earlier Canon cameras.

JerryriggedTECH's gear list:JerryriggedTECH's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark IV Canon EOS R Canon EF 100mm F2.8L Macro IS USM Canon EF 70-200mm F2.8L IS II USM Canon EF 24-70mm F2.8L II USM +5 more
BlueCosmo5050
BlueCosmo5050 Senior Member • Posts: 1,665

I use the top of the line Lexar cards although now that they are switching companies I'd buy Sandisk. Both my CF and SD cards work for 4k.

For a minute... I don't know how many GB, probably like 4. I know 256GB cards gives you an hour of 4k. That might not seem like much but if you're like me, you might not be recording hour projects at one time.

The 1080p does also look much better than the 6D Mark ii or previous 5D.

BlueCosmo5050's gear list:BlueCosmo5050's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark IV Canon EF 100mm f/2.0 USM Canon EF 135mm F2L USM Canon EF 24-70mm F2.8L II USM Canon EF 35mm F2 IS USM +1 more
Alexsfo Senior Member • Posts: 2,358

I use 256GB Lexar CF and it’s about 50mins of 4k video. This is enough for my typical usage of less than 30mins within a day - I delete non-keepers on the spot. I also have a second Sandisk Extreme Pro 64GB card which doesn’t work well for 4k video but is fine for stills. Of course you can always shoot hours of video with extra memory cards. By the way, 500mbps 4k footage requires SSD drive to play smoothly. I transcode all files for archival to H264 149mbps after I’m done with editing. I know some people prefer to transcode upon transfering files to the computer right off the card reader. This may seem like extra work but considering you are getting very high quality footage which does not require any color correction, the workflow is actually very fast and automated.

Alexsfo's gear list:Alexsfo's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark IV Canon EOS M6 II Canon EF-M 22mm f/2 STM Canon EF 35mm F2 IS USM Canon EF 24-70mm F4L IS USM +4 more
MarshallG
MarshallG Veteran Member • Posts: 7,580
You can use an SD card

RuneKChristensen wrote:

Hi.

thanks

rune

SD cards are quite a lot cheaper than CF cards.  With video, you only need a write speed fast enough for the video to record to the card.  Manual says an SD card of UHS-I speed Class 3 or higher will work for all video modes.

For stills, the faster the card, the better.

MarshallG's gear list:MarshallG's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark IV Canon EF 50mm F1.4 USM Canon EF 85mm F1.8 USM Canon EF 16-35mm F2.8L II USM Canon EF 70-200mm F2.8L IS II USM +2 more
I think not enough for 4k (needs V90 for SD)

MarshallG wrote:

RuneKChristensen wrote:

Hi.

thanks

rune

SD cards are quite a lot cheaper than CF cards. With video, you only need a write speed fast enough for the video to record to the card. Manual says an SD card of UHS-I speed Class 3 or higher will work for all video modes.

For stills, the faster the card, the better.

That's slightly confusing as most SD speed classes are MB/s (so 2 is 2MB/16Mb, 4 is 4MB/32Mb per sec) minimum write speed. However 3 is a UHS speed class and 30MB/s (240Mb/s). BUT it isn't a video write speed class and doesn't guarantee it for an extended period. I suspect for an SD card you'd want the video version of 30MB/s which is V30 (or the faster ones, V60 and V90).

However the 4k is 500Mb/s, which is over 60MB/s, so you'd want a V90 SD card (or a fast CF card).

P.S. From the spec (highest speeds bolded):

Bitrate / Mbps

MOV:
4K (29.97p/25.00p/24.00p/23.98p): Approx. 500 Mbps
Full HD (59.94p/50.00p)/ALL-I: Approx. 180 Mbps
Full HD (59.94p/50.00p)/IPB Approx. 60 Mbps
Full HD (29.97p/25.00p/24.00p/23.98p)/ALL-I: Approx. 90 Mbps
Full HD (29.97p/25.00p/24.00p/23.98p)/IPB (Standard): Approx. 30 Mbps
HD (119.9p/100.0p)/ALL-I: Approx. 160 Mbps

MP4:
Full HD (59.94p/50.00p)/IPB (Standard): Approx. 60 Mbps
Full HD (29.97p/25.00p/24.00p/23.98p)/IPB (Standard): Approx. 30 Mbps
Full HD (29.97p/25.00p)/IPB (Light): Approx. 12 Mbps

Nikon Coolpix 950 Fujifilm FinePix Real 3D W3 Sony RX100 V Canon EOS 5DS R Panasonic GH5 +31 more
irm Veteran Member • Posts: 3,087
Re: I think not enough for 4k (needs V90 for SD)

I have been trying out my various SD cards for video and experimented with 4k, everyone was a failure. 144gb of SD cards. The CF 120mb/s card successful. So today I tried to buy an extreme pro SD ,but they only come in micro SD, so I bought a 64gb extreme 90mb/s, no good on 4k.

Conclusion is 4k is nice but the disk cost is too high. Sticking with fhd.

-- hide signature --

my 2 exposed flashcubes worth.
Ian the pbase supporter.
http://pbase.com/ianm_au
Please check my profile for equipment list.
An amateur with dreams of being a good to excellent photographer.

irm's gear list:irm's gear list
Canon EOS 10D Canon EOS 5D Mark IV Canon EOS M6 II Canon EF 50mm F1.4 USM Canon EF 50mm F1.8 II +11 more

irm wrote:

I have been trying out my various SD cards for video and experimented with 4k, everyone was a failure. 144gb of SD cards. The CF 120mb/s card successful. So today I tried to buy an extreme pro SD ,but they only come in micro SD, so I bought a 64gb extreme 90mb/s, no good on 4k.

Conclusion is 4k is nice but the disk cost is too high. Sticking with fhd.

Did you try a V90 card, as that's what I think is required, however per https://www.cameramemoryspeed.com/canon-5d-mark-iv/sd-cf-card-speed-test/ it looks like some others may do.

No, I didn't basically because I haven't found any for sale, that is full size SD, not microSD with adapter.

I have another supplier to investigate today.

-- hide signature --

Ian the pbase supporter.

Canon EOS 10D Canon EOS 5D Mark IV Canon EOS M6 II Canon EF 50mm F1.4 USM Canon EF 50mm F1.8 II +11 more
Jason_L Forum Member • Posts: 65

I’ve had good luck with Sandisk Extreme Pro 256GB SD cards.  Zero problems, and they hold about an hour of 4K video. I have 2 of them.  I paid about $130 US each, which is a small fraction of the price of the camera or any lenses.

irm wrote:

No, I didn't basically because I haven't found any for sale, that is full size SD, not microSD with adapter.

I have another supplier to investigate today.

I went with this:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B074M64L1L
But haven't really tested it yet...

Hi and thank you for the link. I tried the AU branch and not available, I have tried a number of electronic shops and camera shops, nothing that is reasonably priced.

Looks like the CF card will have to do if I feel the need for 4k. That would also mean a new TV at home and new monitor, currently 2k, death wish I think.

-- hide signature --

Ian the pbase supporter.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads