Can Leica 12-60/2.8-4.0 shoot indoor?

Started 7 months ago | Discussions
Kent Ekasak
Kent Ekasak Regular Member • Posts: 355
Can Leica 12-60/2.8-4.0 shoot indoor?

Can Pana Leica 12-60/2.8-4.0 on IBIS camera body really shoot indoor sport/stage, such as basketball, table tennis, or concert, especially on FL between 40-60mm (f4)? Or noise is too much to have good images..

Thank you for your advice..

apekkpul Contributing Member • Posts: 923
Re: Can Leica 12-60/2.8-4.0 shoot indoor?

It is almost 4 in longer lenghts, so it is not very bright. I used Oly 12-40/2.8 to shoot my son’s sports events and found it too dark. I purchased Oly 75mm/1.8 and it is pretty good, but I miss flexibility of zooms.

apekkpul's gear list:apekkpul's gear list
Panasonic LX100 Olympus OM-D E-M10 II Panasonic G85 Panasonic GH5 Sony a7 III +13 more
SiFu
SiFu Veteran Member • Posts: 5,772
it depends...

Hello!

It depends on various things, light levels being the most important one, as venues can be completely different.

IBIS will not help you with subject motion - you might get a mighty stable shot of the venue and a few ghosts of players. A nice effect, but typically not useable in masses.

So, to stop motion you need either good enough light to reach sufficient shutter speed levels or play the ISO/push-in-post game. Especially because you are limited to f/4.0 at the long end.

Here it absolutely depends on your needs and pain-threshold when it comes to determining what is useable or sufficient to you / your client/ editor.

For example, if you were the only one recording a once-in-a-lifetime shot of public interest, you will get away with the blurriest, noisiest mess you can imagine, and so on.

Best,

Alex

-- hide signature --

carpe diem, quam minimum credula postero

eques Veteran Member • Posts: 3,245
12-60mm is ok if you can get really close.

There are a few things to consider, but usually it is a question of learning.

Kent Ekasak wrote:

Can Pana Leica 12-60/2.8-4.0 on IBIS camera body

IBIS usually is no help whatsoever if your objects move.

really shoot indoor sport/stage, such as basketball, table tennis

Here you need very short shutter speeds, but usually the light there is not very low. TT players need good light, BB perhaps not quite as much. Set your shutter speed to the desired value (1/1000 or 1/2000) and ISO to AUTO. 12-60 is rather short however, I'd prefer the 2,8/40-150. Noise is not so much a problem in sports photos, I find.

, or concert,

and stage: again concerts and stage performances are well lit most of the time; so set shutter speed in S mode to a high enough value and expose for highlights (spotlights!).

Again, it is vital to get close. Best time for stage photography is the full rehearsal, where you can move around without getting in the way of the audience. Otherwise get as close as possible and use a longer tele zoom, again the 40-150 is invaluable.

Or noise is too much to have good images..

Get DxO for NR in post. This gives you about an extra stop compared with other editing software.

Peter

eques's gear list:eques's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 R Samyang 7.5mm F3.5 UMC Fisheye MFT Olympus 12-40mm F2.8 +2 more
Holistic Photog Contributing Member • Posts: 719
Stage/Concert I would say yes...

Kent Ekasak wrote:

Can Pana Leica 12-60/2.8-4.0 on IBIS camera body really shoot indoor sport/stage, such as basketball, table tennis, or concert, especially on FL between 40-60mm (f4)? Or noise is too much to have good images..

Thank you for your advice..

There's a big difference between stage/concert shooting and sports shooting. For the former, you probably don't need too fast of a shutter speed and the lens can likely handle it. You may actually be able to use a slow enough shutter where the OIS, IBIS, or dual IS (if you have a Panasonic body) would make a difference.

For sports, it's a tough call. It depends on the shutter speed you need for that sport and the lighting in the venue. You likely will be using shutter speeds fast enough that any stabilization will be irrelevant. But I can tell you that f/4 is pushing it for a lot of indoor sports.

-- hide signature --

Live long and prosper.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads