First attempt at some owling with the K-1 MkII.

Started 5 months ago | Photos
Shivaess
Shivaess Contributing Member • Posts: 502
First attempt at some owling with the K-1 MkII.

I was pretty happy with the results. The camera did an okay job tracking the owls but the flights are short and very short notice. Images are sharpened with photoshop shake reduction. Burrowing owls in the Denver area.

Shivaess's gear list:Shivaess's gear list
Pentax K-3 Pentax K-1 II Pentax smc FA 50mm F1.4 Tamron SP AF 70-200mm F/2.8 Di LD (IF) MACRO Pentax smc DA 12-24mm F4.0 ED AL (IF) +2 more
Comment & critique:
Please provide me constructive critique and criticism.
Pentax FA 150-450mm F4.5-5.6 Pentax K-1 II
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
13thBagel
13thBagel Senior Member • Posts: 1,252
Just...

WOW!

Owls in flight are in the top tier of my target subjects.

The K-1 MkII+HD DFA150-450 looks to be a great BIF combo. I took delivery of an HD DFA 150-450 this afternoon and am looking forward to pairing it with my K-1 MkII. Currently, I'm stuck in some heavy weather and poor light... tomorrow, perhaps.

Don't be afraid to consider f/13 as the new f/8 with the MkII. Select TAv, 1/1250 and just let the iso run. I've found iso 12800 is easy to address in LR (Classic) 7.3.1 when the MkII is paired to the DA*300/4+HD1.4TC (420mm). Judging from a few 'out-the-window' backyard test DNG shots with the MkII, the 150-450 high iso images should be even easier to fine tune.

Great shots... Keep 'um coming.

Cheers... M

-- hide signature --

Bet my camera is cr@ppier than your camera...

13thBagel's gear list:13thBagel's gear list
Pentax Q7 Pentax K-1 II Pentax smc DA* 300mm F4.0 ED (IF) SDM Pentax smc FA 31mm F1.8 AL Limited Pentax smc FA 43mm F1.9 Limited +8 more
Joseph Tainter Forum Pro • Posts: 10,320
Re: First attempt at some owling with the K-1 MkII.

Nice catches. Sharp.

One of my favorite aspects of the 36 mp sensor in the K-1 is how much you can crop images and still have plenty of detail and sharpness. You might try cropping in to the owl in these images and see if you like the results.

Joe

Shivaess
OP Shivaess Contributing Member • Posts: 502
Re: Just...

Coming from the K-3 I really have noticed the loss in depth of field. So thanks for the thought to bump it up into the teens on aperture, not something I did all that much with the crop sensor.

Pentax K-3 Pentax K-1 II Pentax smc FA 50mm F1.4 Tamron SP AF 70-200mm F/2.8 Di LD (IF) MACRO Pentax smc DA 12-24mm F4.0 ED AL (IF) +2 more
Shivaess

Sadly these are already cropped to some degree and with the sharpening done to them I think they only have a little more to give. But yes I have noticed how nice cropping is with all the extra real-estate

MightyMike Forum Pro • Posts: 38,503

Thanks for sharing

-- hide signature --

Mike from Canada
"I am not a great photographer! God is a great creator! All I do is capture His creation with the tools He has provided me."
'I like to think so far outside the box that it would require a telephoto lens just to see the box!' ~ 'My Quote :)'
http://www.michaelfastphotography.com/galleries/VP-BDI_3a.jpg
http://www.airliners.net/search/photo.search?sort_order=views%20DESC&first_this_page=0&page_limit=180&&emailsearch=mighty_mike88%40hotmail.com&thumbnails=

Adam007 Regular Member • Posts: 325

Can I ask you a question about your advice?

I have only tiptoed into bird photography.  I'm terrible at it!  But, I can't understand why one would need such a high ISO. I get that you're probably talking about some shot where the bird flew into a shadow or something, rather than your standard ISO setting.  But why not cap ISO at...2,500 or something and push in LR?

Thanks,

Adam

Adam007's gear list:Adam007's gear list
Sony RX10 III Pentax K-1 Pentax smc FA 31mm F1.8 AL Limited Pentax smc FA 43mm F1.9 Limited Pentax smc FA 77mm 1.8 Limited +3 more
13thBagel
13thBagel Senior Member • Posts: 1,252

Adam007 wrote:

Can I ask you a question about your advice?

I have only tiptoed into bird photography. I'm terrible at it! But, I can't understand why one would need such a high ISO. I get that you're probably talking about some shot where the bird flew into a shadow or something, rather than your standard ISO setting. But why not cap ISO at...2,500 or something and push in LR?

Thanks,

Adam

Good question...

No argument from me... along with faster shutter speeds and greater DOF, the lower the iso the better.

Ah, but If only birds/nature would perform on command, or in predictable ways when conditions are right and it's sunny and bright.

The owls I pursue tend to fly at dusk/bad weather where the window for good light closes fast. Finding the proper balance between shutter speed and f-stop while staying in-bounds with iso might be easy for others, but not me.  Compared to the K-3 II and K-1 (from my experience), the K-1 MkII seems to significantly increase the size of my acceptable iso window. It helps improve my chances of getting an acceptable photograph while using a faster shutter speed and smaller f-stop (greater DOF) when something interesting is happening.

Cheers... M

-- hide signature --

Bet my camera is cr@ppier than your camera...

13thBagel's gear list:13thBagel's gear list
Pentax Q7 Pentax K-1 II Pentax smc DA* 300mm F4.0 ED (IF) SDM Pentax smc FA 31mm F1.8 AL Limited Pentax smc FA 43mm F1.9 Limited +8 more
Shivaess

Ultimately as long as the noise is acceptable you can run some level of NR in post and get a shot. The extra depth of field is unrecoverable and helps insulate for the camera’s autofocus.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads