A7iii viewfinder shimmers when hold shuter button down to focus

Started May 18, 2018 | Questions
mikey fried New Member • Posts: 11
A7iii viewfinder shimmers when hold shuter button down to focus

Ok, not sure what's going on here but when I hold down the shutter button half way and camera focuses there is a change in the way the image appears with a kind of aliasing along straight lines, like zebras to show whats in focus, but I (think) I have switched off all focusing aids. Its like the whole mage through the viewfinder shimmers. Doesn't happen using the screen.

ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
Johnsonson Regular Member • Posts: 165
Re: A7iii viewfinder shimmers when hold shuter button down to focus

mikey fried wrote:

Ok, not sure what's going on here but when I hold down the shutter button half way and camera focuses there is a change in the way the image appears with a kind of aliasing along straight lines, like zebras to show whats in focus, but I (think) I have switched off all focusing aids. Its like the whole mage through the viewfinder shimmers. Doesn't happen using the screen.

Do you have focus peaking on?  It'll color whatever is in focus.

berni29 Veteran Member • Posts: 3,083

Hi

Pre AF is on?

-- hide signature --

Berni29
m4/3 (long time), Sony FF, Fuji X (sold) and Ricoh GR, please see gear list.

berni29's gear list:berni29's gear list
Ricoh GR II Olympus E-M1 Sony a7R II Olympus OM-D E-M10 II Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 50mm 1:2.0 Macro +13 more
golfhov Forum Pro • Posts: 10,474
You are not alone.

My camera was doing the same thing when I got it. It has gone away and unfortunately I cannot tell you if it was the software update or a setting I changed. I use bbf btw

golfhov's gear list:golfhov's gear list
Panasonic LX10 Sony a7R II Sony a7 III Samyang 14mm F2.8 ED AS IF UMC Tamron SP 70-200mm F/2.8 Di VC USD +11 more
DavesDP New Member • Posts: 17

My camera did the same thing no matter my settings. After a couple of weeks of this, I returned it. I also compared it to an a7iii at my local camera store, and their camera was exactly the same.

thiefofpresence
thiefofpresence Contributing Member • Posts: 731

mikey fried wrote:

I've seen this and I think its inconsistent. My guess if that because of some software "race condition" we are seeing the supposed to be invisible opening up of aperture, gaining focus and closing it back down, or the increasing of ISO gain. The point is they designed the software for that to be invisible, but its poking out and showing up as this flash. Sometimes. Its pretty rare for me, but I have seen it.

For the record its a bug in firmware, and it can be fixed. Not worth throwing away platform over.

thiefofpresence's gear list:thiefofpresence's gear list
Sony a7 III Leica Elmarit-M 28mm f/2.8 ASPH Sony FE 55mm F1.8 Sony FE 70-200 F4 Sigma 150-600mm F5-6.3 | C +4 more
ziggyzag Regular Member • Posts: 115

Is the OSS/IBIS on? Sony lenses or other lenses?

ziggyzag's gear list:ziggyzag's gear list
Sony RX100 II Sony a7 III Voigtlander 15mm F4.5 Super Wide Heliar Sony FE 70-200 F4 Sony FE 24-70mm F2.8 GM +2 more
thiefofpresence
thiefofpresence Contributing Member • Posts: 731

thiefofpresence wrote:

mikey fried wrote:

I've seen this and I think its inconsistent. My guess if that because of some software "race condition" we are seeing the supposed to be invisible opening up of aperture, gaining focus and closing it back down, or the increasing of ISO gain. The point is they designed the software for that to be invisible, but its poking out and showing up as this flash. Sometimes. Its pretty rare for me, but I have seen it.

For the record its a bug in firmware, and it can be fixed. Not worth throwing away platform over.

Forgot to conjecture, bet if you shoot wide open you don't see this, but am open to throwing away the conjecture if there are data points to the contrary #science

thiefofpresence's gear list:thiefofpresence's gear list
Sony a7 III Leica Elmarit-M 28mm f/2.8 ASPH Sony FE 55mm F1.8 Sony FE 70-200 F4 Sigma 150-600mm F5-6.3 | C +4 more
Kenneth16 Forum Member • Posts: 74

I have an A6000 and an A6500. I find the difference in viewfinder between those body's quite noticable both in shooting and in reviewing pictures. How does the EVF of the A7III compare to the A6500? Better? Worse? More like the A6000 of more like the A6500? If it's the latter, I am sure I will have no problems with the viewfinder of the A7III.

RussKNY
RussKNY Regular Member • Posts: 156

mikey fried wrote:

Pretty sure this was also the case with A7RIII and a9 when I had them, although it was less noticeable due to those two models having higher resolution EVF.

I've also wondered why this aliasing only appears during half-press of the shutter button. Since I have AF decoupled from the shutter button, it's only activating metering, DoF preview and IBIS.

This aliasing is also absent (or less apparent) when Focus Magnification feature is used and magnification is x5.9 or higher.

RussKNY's gear list:RussKNY's gear list
Sony a7 III Sony FE 85mm F1.4 GM Sony FE 50mm F1.4 ZA +1 more
Kenneth16 Forum Member • Posts: 74

Is what you mean visible in this video?

Using the SONY A7III for PORTRAITURE

All of the above. Sony lenses with and without OSS, combined with IBIS both on and off. I went through every possible combination. And the same with Canon lenses via the MC-11 adapter.

It may be... it’s hard to say with the video resolution. But watch it between about 3:40 and 4:10. The image is smooth, and then right before he shoots a photo you can see the viewfinder get a little crunchy, with some horizontal lines. My bet is that this is occurring when he’s depressing the shutter.

eastvillager Senior Member • Posts: 1,338
Fix this Sony!!!!

I see the same thing in my new A7RIII. Its really annoying. It only happens when you stop the lens down. If you try it with the lens wide open you don't see it. I tried it with different lens and the same result. Stopped down shimmering , wide open fine. Funny I just notice it and was going to google it and see if I can find a reference to it and your thread pops up.

Driving me nuts!!! Fix this Sony!!!!

mikey fried wrote:

eastvillager's gear list:eastvillager's gear list
Sony a9 Sony a7R III Sony FE 35mm F2.8 Sony FE 55mm F1.8 Sony FE 70-200 F4 +3 more
asdf photographer Regular Member • Posts: 239

Isn't it depending on the aperture?

Wide open, it's not there,  f6.3 (or smaller) it blinks.

Dslr's are always wide open until you take the shot (not the case mirrorless??).

asdf photographer's gear list:asdf photographer's gear list
HP Photosmart 320 Ricoh Caplio G3 Samsung Digimax 130 +1 more
dkojevnikov Regular Member • Posts: 477

mikey fried wrote:

It looks like when camera focuses, it reduces the resolution of the viewfinder for some reason, probably increasing the sensor read speed.

dkojevnikov's gear list:dkojevnikov's gear list
Olympus E-M1 II Sony a7 III Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm F1.8 Sony FE 55mm F1.8 Panasonic Leica DG Summilux 15mm F1.7 ASPH +1 more
alekt449 Regular Member • Posts: 114

This problem is already discussed with sony cameras and of course no reviewer would say this. The marketing trick is that the higher resolution of the viewfinders is only used in picture review and video recording. For stills almost all a7 and a9 use the same resolution in the EVF regardless of the specs. The difference might come from the higher refresh rate of the more expensive models. You can read more in this thread.

Jeff2013
Jeff2013 Senior Member • Posts: 2,734

I have experienced this in other A7X cameras and always assumed it was related to the speed/timing of the aperture blades closing down.  I wish Sony would make focusing at open or closed aperture a menu option!

-- hide signature --
 Jeff2013's gear list:Jeff2013's gear list
Sony RX1R II Sony a9 Sony a7R III Sony FE 55mm F1.8 Sony FE 90mm F2.8 macro +16 more
Musashi1205 Regular Member • Posts: 105

There is a similar discussion in this thread:

https://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/61161954

I was playing around with my settings and figured out that this issue may be related to anti-flicker mode. Try turning it off. Maybe this helps you too, as I have the impression it helped with my a7riii.

Musashi1205's gear list:Musashi1205's gear list
Sony a7R III Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 USM Sigma 70-200mm F2.8 EX DG Macro HSM II Sigma 35mm F1.4 DG HSM Art Sony FE 55mm F1.8 +5 more
eastvillager Senior Member • Posts: 1,338

I find no difference on or off. Its just awful.

Musashi1205 wrote:

There is a similar discussion in this thread:

https://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/61161954

I was playing around with my settings and figured out that this issue may be related to anti-flicker mode. Try turning it off. Maybe this helps you too, as I have the impression it helped with my a7riii.

eastvillager's gear list:eastvillager's gear list
Sony a9 Sony a7R III Sony FE 35mm F2.8 Sony FE 55mm F1.8 Sony FE 70-200 F4 +3 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads