a9 battery life

Started May 15, 2018 | Discussions
JimKasson
JimKasson Forum Pro • Posts: 24,737
a9 battery life

I just completed a series of shots with the a9 over 3 days:

• Electronic shutter (1/400 - 1/2500 seconds)
  • Continuous AF, medium spot
  • Continuous high drive speed (20 fps)
  • Sony 100-400 G lens
  • Sony 1.4x TC
  • OSS and IBIS off
  • EVF, standard

I made about 7500 exposures. The battery was fully charged at the beginning. At the end, it was down to 42%. I did not chimp.

Pretty impressive.

-- hide signature --
 JimKasson's gear list:JimKasson's gear list
Nikon D5 Fujifilm GFX 50S Sony a9 Sony a7R III Sony a7 III +5 more
Sony a9
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
lattesweden
lattesweden Senior Member • Posts: 2,776
Re: a9 battery life

Yes, I have a similar experience. It just keeps going.

The A9 also has zero resting consumption which I can't say about my A7RII that can consume the battery in some days even if its off through the power switch. And at times it hardly uses anything at all in off mode and the battery indicator is the same after a week as when I turned it off. This shifting consumption from time to time in off mode is somewhat strange. I know you made some measurements earlier, did you see this variations as well on the A7RII?

Anyway, back to the A9, according to the official numbers the A9 is not the best to preserve the battery of the generation 3 bodys. The A7III should do best of the new pack of bodys from my understanding.

When shooting events, compressed RAW+JPEG which is about a 52 MB combo on the A7RII and slightly under 30 MB on the A9. I often have zero battery left when my 32 GB card fills in the A7RII and the A9 battery lasts until I fill a 64 GB card. So I get about 3.5 times more images with the A9 than the A7RII on one battery.

-- hide signature --

Best regards
/Anders
----------------------------------------------------
42 Megapixels is the answer to life, the universe and everything.
You don't have to like my pictures, but it would help: http://www.lattermann.com/gallery

PeterGuyton.com
PeterGuyton.com Senior Member • Posts: 2,283

Wow, that's great.  Are there certain settings you think helped (besides avoiding chimping)?

PeterGuyton.com's gear list:PeterGuyton.com's gear list
Fujifilm X-T2 Sony a9 Sony a7R III Sony FE 55mm F1.8 Fujifilm XF 56mm F1.2 R +16 more
K1000usr Regular Member • Posts: 475

Great news. I generally don't get anywhere such good results.

And looking forward to some of these photos in the weekly thread part-III, IV ...

Zefah Regular Member • Posts: 327

I've had similar experience for sure. I shot an indoor sporting event for my son's class over the course of 4 hours (camera being on most of the time) using the Zeiss 35mm F1.4 lens, so at 15 FPS and captured over 7,000 frames. It was almost constant shooting. I even bought a battery grip for the event, but I had around 18% battery life in my first battery remaining at the end of it. This is with both the EVF and LCD ad maximum brightness. Most shooting done through the LCD. IBIS on. Not much time spent reviewing images.

I was always super nervous with my A7R II, but the A9 has definitely removed my concerns about battery life.

Zefah's gear list:Zefah's gear list
Sony RX100 V Fujifilm X100F Sony a9 Sony FE 35mm F1.4 Sony FE 35mm F2.8 +8 more
JimKasson
OP JimKasson Forum Pro • Posts: 24,737

Cogset wrote:

Wow, that's great. Are there certain settings you think helped (besides avoiding chimping)?

Just the ones I noted.

Jim

-- hide signature --
tesilab
tesilab Veteran Member • Posts: 3,002
Long shelf life, too apparently I have yet to recharge a battery.

I have not been getting a lot of opportunities to shoot my A7III. (Supposedly a bit  better than A9 in terms of power consumption)

I was bummed when I picked up the camera on April 10th, and couldn't even try the camera due to the totally depleted battery. That evening I charged the battery, and thirty five days later, I still have plenty of power on my first charge.  (I'm still impressed though I haven't made thousands of shots yet). Not sure why I thought I needed two  whole spares.

tesilab's gear list:tesilab's gear list
Sony RX1R II Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX8 Sony a7 III Panasonic Leica Summilux DG 25mm F1.4 Sony FE 85mm F1.8 +1 more
Curtis Khan
Curtis Khan Senior Member • Posts: 1,415

What's you a9's shutter count Jim?

-- hide signature --

CURTIS R. KHAN
"The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few...or the one!"

Curtis Khan's gear list:Curtis Khan's gear list
Sony RX100 III Sony a99 II Sony a7R III Sony 70-200mm F2.8 G Sony 24-70mm F2.8 ZA SSM Carl Zeiss Vario-Sonnar T* +33 more
trainerKEN Senior Member • Posts: 1,152

JimKasson wrote:

• Sony 100-400 G lens
  • Sony 1.4x TC
  • OSS and IBIS off
  • EVF, standard

I made about 7500 exposures. The battery was fully charged at the beginning. At the end, it was down to 42%. I did not chimp.

Pretty impressive.

I had similar experience last month at the Toyota Long Beach Grand Prix (same setup)

-- hide signature --
 trainerKEN's gear list:trainerKEN's gear list
Fujifilm X100F Sony a9 Sony a7R III Canon TS-E 17mm f/4L Sony FE 55mm F1.8 +9 more
JimKasson

Curtis Khan wrote:

1695. It's been there for months.

-- hide signature --
Curtis Khan
Curtis Khan Senior Member • Posts: 1,415

Oh Right!! Electronic shutter!!

JimKasson wrote:

Curtis Khan wrote:

-- hide signature --

CURTIS R. KHAN
"The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few...or the one!"

Curtis Khan's gear list:Curtis Khan's gear list
Sony RX100 III Sony a99 II Sony a7R III Sony 70-200mm F2.8 G Sony 24-70mm F2.8 ZA SSM Carl Zeiss Vario-Sonnar T* +33 more
trainerKEN Senior Member • Posts: 1,152

JimKasson wrote:

Curtis Khan wrote:

I'm around 200, only switched to mechanical shutter for a studio photoshoot, yet I've taken at least 6 to 7k pictures with the a9 

-- hide signature --
 trainerKEN's gear list:trainerKEN's gear list
Fujifilm X100F Sony a9 Sony a7R III Canon TS-E 17mm f/4L Sony FE 55mm F1.8 +9 more
RE Alpha
RE Alpha Contributing Member • Posts: 507

JimKasson wrote:

• Sony 100-400 G lens
  • Sony 1.4x TC
  • OSS and IBIS off
  • EVF, standard

Pretty impressive.

Impressive numbers. I can't say that I have ever counted the number of 'clicks' but the A7riii and A9 have never worried me about running out of juice during important shoots (the A7rii did). This is a nice additional assurance that Sony got it right. Thanks Jim!!

RE Alpha's gear list:RE Alpha's gear list
Sony a9 Sony a7R III Sony FE 24-70mm F4 OSS Sony FE 90mm F2.8 macro Sony FE 24-70mm F2.8 GM +6 more
Seeky Senior Member • Posts: 1,064

JimKasson wrote:

• Sony 100-400 G lens
  • Sony 1.4x TC
  • OSS and IBIS off
  • EVF, standard

Pretty impressive.

Impressive indeed. If one would extrapolate to complete battery depletion you could shoot approx. 12000 shots under these conditions. I assume that the use of electronic shutter compared to mechanical shutter contributes significantly to these results?

I also guess that it requires a full time job to go through the images?

-- hide signature --
 Seeky's gear list:Seeky's gear list
Sony SLT-A57 Fujifilm X-T1 Sony a7 II Sony a7 III Sony DT 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 SAM +14 more
noggin2k1
noggin2k1 Senior Member • Posts: 2,317

2nd shooting this weekend - 2x A9's both with grips (4x FZ100's in total). There'll be zero concerns about the batteries lasting the day!

noggin2k1's gear list:noggin2k1's gear list
Sony a9 Fujifilm X-T3 Fujifilm XF 50-140mm F2.8 Fujifilm 16-55mm F2.8R LM WR Zeiss Batis 85mm F1.8 +6 more
randomguy Regular Member • Posts: 395

If I am shooting a lot of action at 20FPS, 10000+ shots per battery is common for me. I suspect battery life depends more on how long the camera is kept awake and less on how many shots I shoot during that time though. If one just holds down the shutter at 20FPS until battery wears out I wouldn't be surprised if it can shoot 100000 shots on 1 charge. Though I am not eager enough to wear out my memory card just to test it.

-
Best Regards,
Morten Smedsrud
https://www.flickr.com/photos/154088944@N03/
https://500px.com/msmedsru

PeterL6312
PeterL6312 Regular Member • Posts: 393

Very impressive, especially since it's quite a long lens to drive AF for

Probably time to remove the battery life as a con for mirrorless, at least within normal temperatures, might still be an issue in very low temps compared to DSLR though.

Thanks for sharing.

-- hide signature --

Kind Rgds, Peter

PeterL6312's gear list:PeterL6312's gear list
Sony a9 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 58mm f/1.4G Sony FE 24-70mm F2.8 GM Sony FE 70-200mm F2.8 GM OSS Sony FE 50mm F1.4 ZA +6 more
EOSLenny Regular Member • Posts: 145

JimKasson wrote:

• Sony 100-400 G lens
  • Sony 1.4x TC
  • OSS and IBIS off
  • EVF, standard

Pretty impressive.

Why do you switch IBIS and OSS on the lens off?

Is is not working? Would it drain the battery too much? Is the picture better without it?

The Davinator
The Davinator Forum Pro • Posts: 21,868

Would be interesting to see a shootout between the a9 and Nikon D5 and Canon 1DX2.  7500 has got to be a record on a single battery.

The Davinator's gear list:The Davinator's gear list
Canon EOS D30 Canon EOS 10D Nikon D2X Fujifilm X-Pro1 Fujifilm X-T1 +17 more
JimKasson

Seeky wrote:

JimKasson wrote:

• Sony 100-400 G lens
  • Sony 1.4x TC
  • OSS and IBIS off
  • EVF, standard

Pretty impressive.

Impressive indeed. If one would extrapolate to complete battery depletion you could shoot approx. 12000 shots under these conditions. I assume that the use of electronic shutter compared to mechanical shutter contributes significantly to these results?

I also guess that it requires a full time job to go through the images?

Three cheers for Fast Raw Viewer !

-- hide signature --
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads