A7Rii overheat in still mode

Started May 11, 2018 | Questions
Angrymagpie
Angrymagpie Contributing Member • Posts: 763
A7Rii overheat in still mode

My trusty A7Rii gave me an overheat warning when I was working earlier, and I wasn't sure what to do.

I was working in a pretty temperature environment, directly under the tropical sun for 3 hours. It was hot, but nothing out of the ordinary.

I've done this for years with the same camera, and never had this issue before. When the overheat warning appeared the first time, I ignored it because I had to continue. But after it blinked for a while, I decided to switch off the camera and used my backup camera instead. Roughly 15 minutes later, I switched back to the A7Rii, and the overheat warning came back up a few minutes in. Not wanting to break the camera, I put it away and finished with my backup.

I was wondering if other users have had this problem?

How worried should I be?

I found another thread on this issue, but got the impression that it was a new camera which was perhaps faulty

Cheers

ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
lattesweden
lattesweden Veteran Member • Posts: 3,459
Re: A7Rii overheat in still mode

I am work at the moment, but if I remember correctly, the A7RII got a FW update some year ago to improve overheat issues so make sure you are on the latest one.
Also getting the battery out from inside the body seems to help. Like using the battery grip or a dummy battery power feeding from a battery pack source.

-- hide signature --

Best regards
/Anders
----------------------------------------------------
42 Megapixels is the answer to life, the universe and everything.
You don't have to like my pictures, but it would help: http://www.lattermann.com/gallery

Angrymagpie
OP Angrymagpie Contributing Member • Posts: 763
I have v 4.00 (latest as of now)

lattesweden wrote:

I am work at the moment, but if I remember correctly, the A7RII got a FW update some year ago to improve overheat issues so make sure you are on the latest one.
Also getting the battery out from inside the body seems to help. Like using the battery grip or a dummy battery power feeding from a battery pack source.

I have the latest firmware update v 4.00 so that shouldn't be the problem

Thanks for the suggestion re: taking the battery out; I shall give that a try next time this happens

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads