Tamron 28-75 mm f/2.8 XR Di LD SP

Started 2 months ago | Discussions
Deb789 Regular Member • Posts: 195
Tamron 28-75 mm f/2.8 XR Di LD SP

Hello,

I am considering this lens for my Canon 7Dii

I know Tamron SD series is reportedly weather sealed   Not looking to take it out in a monsoon, but I am curious if anyone has experience with this lens or Tamron’s sealing in general

Is there any reason to think it would be less well sealed than a Canon brand lens?

Deb789's gear list:Deb789's gear list
Nikon D90 Nikon D750 Canon EOS 7D Mark II Sigma 70-300mm F4-5.6 APO DG Macro Tamron SP 150-600mm F/5-6.3 Di VC USD +2 more
Canon EOS 7D
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
diness Senior Member • Posts: 2,578
Re: Tamron 28-75 mm f/2.8 XR Di LD SP

Deb789 wrote:

Hello,

I know Tamron SD series is reportedly weather sealed Not looking to take it out in a monsoon, but I am curious if anyone has experience with this lens or Tamron’s sealing in general

I used to own this lens and I don't remember it having any weather sealing, nor being built all that well.

Tamron's newest G2 lenses however seem to have pretty good weather sealing

Is there any reason to think it would be less well sealed than a Canon brand lens?

Pretty hard to say since some Canon's have no weather sealing and others are incredibly well sealed.

diness's gear list:diness's gear list
Canon EOS 6D Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 USM Canon EF 17-40mm f/4.0L USM Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM Tamron SP 24-70mm F2.8 G2
OP Deb789 Regular Member • Posts: 195

diness wrote:

Deb789 wrote:

Hello,

I know Tamron SD series is reportedly weather sealed Not looking to take it out in a monsoon, but I am curious if anyone has experience with this lens or Tamron’s sealing in general

I used to own this lens and I don't remember it having any weather sealing, nor being built all that well.

Pretty hard to say since some Canon's have no weather sealing and others are incredibly well sealed.

Good to know.  Thank you!  My current personal fav lens is the 100-400 f4 ii, so pretty good seal, I think.  That lens goes everywhere with me.  The shorter zoom would not, but we are all dirt roads in my neighborhood, so dust gets kicked up randomly.

Nikon D90 Nikon D750 Canon EOS 7D Mark II Sigma 70-300mm F4-5.6 APO DG Macro Tamron SP 150-600mm F/5-6.3 Di VC USD +2 more
diness Senior Member • Posts: 2,578

Deb789 wrote:

diness wrote:

Deb789 wrote:

Hello,

Good to know. Thank you! My current personal fav lens is the 100-400 f4 ii, so pretty good seal, I think. That lens goes everywhere with me. The shorter zoom would not, but we are all dirt roads in my neighborhood, so dust gets kicked up randomly.

I can safely say that the build and weather sealing is the 28-75 is not even close to the same league as the 100-400 Lii.

diness's gear list:diness's gear list
Canon EOS 6D Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 USM Canon EF 17-40mm f/4.0L USM Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM Tamron SP 24-70mm F2.8 G2

diness wrote:

Deb789 wrote:

diness wrote:

Deb789 wrote:

Hello,

Good to know. Thank you! My current personal fav lens is the 100-400 f4 ii, so pretty good seal, I think. That lens goes everywhere with me. The shorter zoom would not, but we are all dirt roads in my neighborhood, so dust gets kicked up randomly.

I can safely say that the build and weather sealing is the 28-75 is not even close to the same league as the 100-400 Lii.

Agreed.  I decided to give up on 2.8 to cover the range and save my pennies for the Cannon 28-105 f4- . .  I actually purchased a super cheap Quantaray 28-90 to see if it can cover the range and I can buy something serious but more interesting sooner.  My first online used purchase and it came with no caps.  Oops, LOL.  Now I am researching whether any Canon EOS rear cap will fit any lens for EOS ..  . .

BillAngel Junior Member • Posts: 34

Deb789 wrote:

Hello,

I have that lens in its Nikon mount version.

My main gripe is that it isn't real sharp wide open as it is when it's stopped down to f 4.0.  I don't know if this is a problem just in my copy or for this lens generally.

BillAngel wrote:

Deb789 wrote:

Hello,

I have that lens in its Nikon mount version.

My main gripe is that it isn't real sharp wide open as it is when it's stopped down to f 4.0. I don't know if this is a problem just in my copy or for this lens generally.

I have read that in a lot of reviews of the lens.  It sounds like the norm for that lens, though the salesperson said 2.8 is fine with hat lens in bright daylight.  Makes me a little wary.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads