Which Travel tripod should I buy?

Started May 7, 2018 | Questions
AlisonE New Member • Posts: 5
Which Travel tripod should I buy?

Hi,

I am going on two holidays this year to places I am not likely to revisit - Vietnam/Cambodia and Morocco.  I'm obviously keen to  get the best pictures i can.

I  would appreciate advice on buying a tripod.  It has to be lightweight and fold to relatively small size or I know realistically it'll be difficult for me to to carry around  (I'm a fairly diminutive female!).   My main camera is a Leica V-Lux so is not heavy and is a zoom lens camera.  I won't be taking extra zoom lenses.

What would you recommend as a good trade off between weight and stability?  I have a 'big' birthday coming up so am prepared to treat myself to a decent tripod.

ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
Leica V-Lux (Typ 114)
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Hamiltionian Senior Member • Posts: 1,010
Re: Which Travel tripod should I buy?

AlisonE wrote:

Hi,

I am going on two holidays this year to places I am not likely to revisit - Vietnam/Cambodia and Morocco. I'm obviously keen to get the best pictures i can.

I would appreciate advice on buying a tripod. It has to be lightweight and fold to relatively small size or I know realistically it'll be difficult for me to to carry around (I'm a fairly diminutive female!). My main camera is a Leica V-Lux so is not heavy and is a zoom lens camera. I won't be taking extra zoom lenses.

What would you recommend as a good trade off between weight and stability? I have a 'big' birthday coming up so am prepared to treat myself to a decent tripod.

What is your budget?  The best travel tripods are the Really Right Stuff TFC-14 or Gitzo Traveler Series.

Do you want the camera to reach eye level when you shoot?  A lot of size and weight can be shed and stability increased with a slightly shorter one.

-- hide signature --

Stay Calm and Carry Cameras
https://thecentercolumn.com/

CoryP2003 Forum Member • Posts: 93

I like my Mefoto RoadTrip.  bought it at Best Buy.  Lightweight and folds up small enough o stuff inside my backpack if needed.

CoryP2003's gear list:CoryP2003's gear list
Sony RX100 VII Canon 6D Mark II Canon EF 16-35mm F4L IS USM Canon EF 24-70mm F2.8L II USM Canon EF 50mm F1.8 STM +4 more
David5833 Senior Member • Posts: 1,882

A couple of less expensive ones to consider:

https://www.amazon.com/Leofoto-LS-284C-Section-Smaller-Lighter/dp/B077X7BRLR

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/822143-REG/Sirui_BSRT2205_T_2205X_5_Section_Carbon_Fiber.html

Some kind of head will be extra. Unless you get something like a Gorilla Pod or table top tripod, or flimsy full size tripod, expect the tripod and head to weigh about 3.5 - 4 lbs or more, fold up to a bundle of at least 14 inches long and at least 4 inches in diameter.

David5833's gear list:David5833's gear list
Canon G9 X II Nikon D810 Nikon D7500 Olympus OM-D E-M10 II Olympus E-M5 III +13 more
HRC2016 Veteran Member • Posts: 6,364
Look at the specs

Don't be fooled by a tripod that's called a "travel tripod". RRS is overpriced.

If you are looking for a very affordable, compact and stable tripod, check the Sirui T-025X with the C10S ballhead or it's aluminum version. It's the most compact tripod I found that's not a tabletop tripod.

-- hide signature --

I believe in science, evolution and light. All opinions are my own. I'm not compensated for any of my posts. Can you honestly say that?

HRC2016's gear list:HRC2016's gear list
Olympus M.Zuiko ED 75-300mm 1:4.8-6.7 II Olympus 12-100mm F4.0 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 45-200mm F4-5.6 OIS Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 12-50mm 1:3.5-6.3 EZ Sigma 150-600mm F5-6.3 | C +2 more
EDub24 Junior Member • Posts: 42

I’m a big fan of the Joby Gorillapod. Super small, lightweight and relatively cheap depending on the model you need for your camera size.

EDub24's gear list:EDub24's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark IV Canon EF 16-35mm F4L IS USM Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM Canon EF 35mm F2 IS USM

EDub24 wrote:

I’m a big fan of the Joby Gorillapod. Super small, lightweight and relatively cheap depending on the model you need for your camera size.

I believe I've seen a few posts about the Joby tripods cracking after a bit.

-- hide signature --

I believe in science, evolution and light. All opinions are my own. I'm not compensated for any of my posts. Can you honestly say that?

Olympus M.Zuiko ED 75-300mm 1:4.8-6.7 II Olympus 12-100mm F4.0 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 45-200mm F4-5.6 OIS Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 12-50mm 1:3.5-6.3 EZ Sigma 150-600mm F5-6.3 | C +2 more

HRC2016 wrote:

EDub24 wrote:

I believe I've seen a few posts about the Joby tripods cracking after a bit.

I’ve seen those too. I’ve had mine for close to 7 years without cracking so I personally haven’t had that issue though. I tend not to wrap the legs around objects and use it mainly to stand on uneven surfaces when hiking so maybe that explains its longevity.

Canon EOS 5D Mark IV Canon EF 16-35mm F4L IS USM Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM Canon EF 35mm F2 IS USM
Rodger in Edmonton
Rodger in Edmonton Veteran Member • Posts: 3,683

Buy once cry once.

http://www.reallyrightstuff.com/BH-40-Ballhead

http://www.reallyrightstuff.com/TVC-24L-Mk2-Tripod

...been using the Mark I version for 2 years, I cannot believe how well made it is.

It will last 3 lifetimes.

Solid s as a rock, 40 lb capacity, weight 3.7 lbs, travel bag available, height range of 7 " - 66 ", clamp system unites camera to tripod like a weld.

...would feel comfortable swinging the tripod with mounted camera like a baseball bat, it behaves like 1 piece of material.

-- hide signature --

Rodger in Edmonton
Quaecumque vera

Mark B.
Mark B. Forum Pro • Posts: 28,218

EDub24 wrote:

The Gorillapods are really a tabletop tripod, though.  Not something I would take as a replacement for a true tripod.  Good for ground-level shots, or where you have something convenient like a tabletop/platform, or pole/tree to wrap the legs around.

I haven't found too many uses for it, and only take it as another option to my travel tripod (MeFoto Globetrotter).

Mark

I usually take my gorillapod when I’m hiking/backpacking and when I’m traveling overseas and don’t want to bring my full tripod. The point of view is definitely lower but that just means you have to get creative

higbee
higbee New Member • Posts: 17

Best travel tripod 2018: 5 carbon fiber stands for your camera

• MeFoto GlobeTrotter Carbon C2350Q2T.
  • Vanguard VEO 265CB. Stable and versatile
  • Gitzo Traveler Series 0 GK0545T-82TQD.
  • Benro Travel Angel FTA28CV1.
  • Manfrotto Befree

higbee wrote:

Best travel tripod 2018: 5 carbon fiber stands for your camera

• MeFoto GlobeTrotter Carbon C2350Q2T.
  • Vanguard VEO 265CB. Stable and versatile
  • Gitzo Traveler Series 0 GK0545T-82TQD.
  • Benro Travel Angel FTA28CV1.
  • Manfrotto Befree

I have that Vanguard. It does not travel well, which is why I bought/use/recommend the Sirui which is carbon fiber. BH says the Vanguard is unavailable.

You may want to consider an ultrapod.

-- hide signature --

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads