Travel Set-Up - A7R III + what lenses

Started Apr 30, 2018 | Discussions
Neurad1
Neurad1 Senior Member • Posts: 2,498
Re: Travel Set-Up - A7R III + what lenses

sullivanrp wrote:

Everyone has different shooting styles, everyone likes different lenses - that aside I want to hear what some people are using out there or would use in my situation.

Heading to Prague, Budapest, Vienna this summer (2 week trip). Not a photography based trip (won't be chasing golden hours, don't want to carry ALL my gear) - but a romantic trip. Expecting most days to be walking around the cities, aside from a wine tour in austria in the countryside. Likely will not be returning to our hotel room/airbnb throughout the day. This means whatever I leave with in the morning I am carrying on my shoulder/back the entire day, potentially.

Gear I have:

A7R III | 16-35mm f4 | Rokinon 35mm 1.4 | FE 85mm 1.8 | Pre-ordered tamron 28-75

My thoughts so far: Pretty much ruled out the 85mm because its too niche and would only likely be used for portraits or scenic views, aka carrying dead weight around. The 35 1.4 can achieve the portraits I'd want while still being a friendly street photography/normal field of view walk around. Love the 1.4 look. The 16-35 would basically take all the interior/architecture shots any place we visit. 28-75 general use for anything really, compromises on wide end, but decently light and covers a lot.

Any tips/advice from someone who has been to these cities or travels a lot given my options? A Fuji x100 is on my mind as well just to say screw it, don't carry multiple lenses, and have a pocketable camera.

Just got back from two weeks in Italy. I used the 24-105 F4 nearly 100% of the time. I also used the Laowa 15 on several days for selected shots. I didn't find not having a faster lens indoors and issue...I just pushed the ISO. Mind you, I may not be as picky as others on this forum, but I was pretty happy with my results. My only complaint/potentially pertinent observation is that the 24-105, while lighter than some other options, is still heavy when carried all day long in a bag with batteries and another lens.

Neurad1's gear list:Neurad1's gear list
Sony RX1 Sony RX100 III Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus E-M1 Olympus PEN E-PL5 +44 more
Trek of Joy Regular Member • Posts: 268
Re: Travel Set-Up - What I decided

sullivanrp wrote:

In case anyone was wondering what I ended up doing:

• I rented an X100 to try out. Enjoyed it, a lot. Decided it wasn't worth the $ given its size and IQ next to an A7R III + 35 or 28mm. I like full frame. The sony isn't too large to begin with. If I still had an slr with bigger lenses, I probably would have grabbed the Fuji, though.
  • Bought a Sony 28mm F2
    (recently replaced my 35 2.8 with a 1.4 so looked to minimize redundancy in my kit)
  • Will be taking just the 28mm with me on this trip.
  • Looked for a sling-style bag that could carry just this set-up plus a few other small items. Ruled out Peak Design sling, too large. Ideally wanted a 2-4L capacity to fit this. I bought a North Face Kanga hip pack, and I think it will wear cross-body well after some initial testing. I have two short weekend trips coming up where I'll test the full set-up and see if I need to grab a different bag due to weight distribution/comfort. Trying to avoiding carrying a backpack/larger bag around and leaving all the extra nonsense at the airbnbs.

As always, YMMV. Happy to answer any specific questions regarding 28mm vs 35mm on the Sony, the other bags I looked into, and anything else. After the trip I'll follow up with a few photos I'm sure.

Its a great choice, I love the 28 - small, light, fast focusing. The 21 conversion may come in handy as well.

Thinktank has a really small sling that's pretty good for what you're carrying.

https://www.thinktankphoto.com/collections/turnstyle/products/turnstyle-5-v2

Cosyspeed has a nice single smaller options as well, came be worn as a belt pack or a sling.

https://cosyspeed.com/streetomatic-2/?lang=en

I use the Cosyspeed finger strap when wanting around with a small pack, love it, makes it faster to just get the camera out and shoot. I make the loop large enough for my index and ring finger, its very comfortable to shoot and faster (for me) than a neck or wrist strap.

https://cosyspeed.com/equipment/?lang=en

Cheers

Chris

-- hide signature --

Follow our trek around the world! Please like, comment, share and make suggestions on future destinations!
http://www.trekofjoy.com (coming soon)
https://www.instagram.com/trekofjoy/
https://www.facebook.com/trekofjoy/
https://twitter.com/trekofjoy

Trek of Joy's gear list:Trek of Joy's gear list
Fujifilm X-T2 Sony a7 III Sony a6300 Fujifilm XF 10-24mm F4 R OIS Fujifilm XF 23mm F1.4 R +4 more
Yarik85 Forum Member • Posts: 55

sullivanrp wrote:

• I rented an X100 to try out. Enjoyed it, a lot. Decided it wasn't worth the $ given its size and IQ next to an A7R III + 35 or 28mm. I like full frame. The sony isn't too large to begin with. If I still had an slr with bigger lenses, I probably would have grabbed the Fuji, though.
  • Bought a Sony 28mm F2
    (recently replaced my 35 2.8 with a 1.4 so looked to minimize redundancy in my kit)
  • Looked for a sling-style bag that could carry just this set-up plus a few other small items. Ruled out Peak Design sling, too large. Ideally wanted a 2-4L capacity to fit this. I bought a North Face Kanga hip pack, and I think it will wear cross-body well after some initial testing. I have two short weekend trips coming up where I'll test the full set-up and see if I need to grab a different bag due to weight distribution/comfort. Trying to avoiding carrying a backpack/larger bag around and leaving all the extra nonsense at the airbnbs.

As always, YMMV. Happy to answer any specific questions regarding 28mm vs 35mm on the Sony, the other bags I looked into, and anything else. After the trip I'll follow up with a few photos I'm sure.

Would love to hear about how it went. I'm about 6 months to a year from any trips, and have just completed my switch over from Canon to Sony. So far I've picked up the 55mm 1.8 and the Batis 135mm. Have been considering the 28mm 2.0, then the Tamron got announced, so have been considering that instead. Now not even sure. One of the two above, or perhaps the batis 25mm, or a Sony 16-35mm, be it the 4.0 or the 2.8GM (although the GM is way too expensive)... Maybe Tamron or Sigma will happen to come out with a small range uwa zoom that is light with high IQ. Something like an 18-28mm or something.

Yarik85's gear list:Yarik85's gear list
Sony a7R III Sony FE 55mm F1.8 Zeiss Batis 135mm F2.8 +3 more
(unknown member) Senior Member • Posts: 8,068

Yarik85 wrote:

sullivanrp wrote:

• Bought a Sony 28mm F2

Would love to hear about how it went. I'm about 6 months to a year from any trips, and have just completed my switch over from Canon to Sony. So far I've picked up the 55mm 1.8 and the Batis 135mm. Have been considering the 28mm 2.0, then the Tamron got announced, so have been considering that instead. Now not even sure. One of the two above, or perhaps the batis 25mm, or a Sony 16-35mm, be it the 4.0 or the 2.8GM (although the GM is way too expensive)... Maybe Tamron or Sigma will happen to come out with a small range uwa zoom that is light with high IQ. Something like an 18-28mm or something.

Loxia 25 ?

Yarik85 Forum Member • Posts: 55

BBQue wrote:

Yarik85 wrote:

Loxia 25 ?

Forgot to add, with a 5 year old and a 2 year old, really prefer having the AF and EyeAF.

Yarik85's gear list:Yarik85's gear list
Sony a7R III Sony FE 55mm F1.8 Zeiss Batis 135mm F2.8 +3 more
sullivanrp
OP sullivanrp Forum Member • Posts: 54

Trek of Joy wrote:

sullivanrp wrote:

• Bought a Sony 28mm F2

Its a great choice, I love the 28 - small, light, fast focusing. The 21 conversion may come in handy as well.

Thinktank has a really small sling that's pretty good for what you're carrying.

https://www.thinktankphoto.com/collections/turnstyle/products/turnstyle-5-v2

Cosyspeed has a nice single smaller options as well, came be worn as a belt pack or a sling.

https://cosyspeed.com/streetomatic-2/?lang=en

I use the Cosyspeed finger strap when wanting around with a small pack, love it, makes it faster to just get the camera out and shoot. I make the loop large enough for my index and ring finger, its very comfortable to shoot and faster (for me) than a neck or wrist strap.

https://cosyspeed.com/equipment/?lang=en

Cheers

Chris

Thanks for all of this info - I'll look into these bags!

-- hide signature --

instagram.com/ryansullivanphoto

sullivanrp's gear list:sullivanrp's gear list
Sony a7R III Sony FE 85mm F1.8 Sony Vario-Tessar T* FE 16-35mm F4 ZA OSS Samyang AF 35mm F1.4 FE
sullivanrp
Europe Trip Photographs - Sony A7R III with 28mm F2

Here are some favorites from the trip. All taken on the Sony 28mm. Happy to answer any follow-up questions after spending 16 days with just this lens in different cities in Europe. I also have a much larger gallery for those interested.

-- hide signature --

ryansullivanphoto.com

Sony a7R III Sony FE 85mm F1.8 Sony Vario-Tessar T* FE 16-35mm F4 ZA OSS Samyang AF 35mm F1.4 FE
Mike Fouc Regular Member • Posts: 312
Re: Europe Trip Photographs - Sony A7R III with 28mm F2

Nice images, and great to hear this single lens setup worked so well for you. I'm sure there were plenty of situations where you would have liked a more portrait FL, so I don't need to ask about that. Instead, I'd be curious to know if/when you wanted a wider FL. How wide would have been wide enough? My widest FL now is 28, and I'm trying to decide between a 21 (Loxia (a bit more than I want to spend) or, if it doesn't have the QC issues of the 15, the soon-to-be-released Voigtlander 21) and 15mm (the Laowa/2 or maybe Voigtlander 15 if I can find a good copy). I do mostly street shooting, but would like to dabble more in landscape. 15 and 21 are obviously really different, and 21 is probably the safer (next step) for me, but 15 is such a unique look that I think it would force me to be far more creative in my composition.

Anyway, the idea would be a light travel kit (where camera gear has to fit in with family gear) consisting of a 15 or 21, 35, and 55. All the lens changing would be a pain, so Tam 28-75 might cover most of the bases; that's why I'm curious to know your experience with 28.

I have the Samyang 35/2.8 which is so light you might as well keep it in your bag if you're using primes. I love the 55/1.8 for its light weight and portraits. 55 is not very long, but you got by with 28, so I think for city-based trips, it should be good enough. If I can find a good copy of the CV15 or CV21, that plus the Samyang and Sony 55 would add up to ~650g, so less than the GM zooms and just 100g more than my Tamron 28-75. Thanks.

Mike Fouc's gear list:Mike Fouc's gear list
Sony a7 III Sony FE 55mm F1.8 Tamron 28-75mm F2.8 III Samyang AF 35mm F2.8 FE Samyang AF 85mm F1.4 FE +8 more
IamJF Contributing Member • Posts: 673

Wow - i really like the "light bulb" staircase 👍

IamJF's gear list:IamJF's gear list
Sony a7 III Sony Vario-Tessar T* FE 16-35mm F4 ZA OSS Sony FE 35mm F2.8 Sony FE 90mm F2.8 macro Sony FE 55mm F1.8 +4 more
sullivanrp

Mike Fouc wrote:

Nice images, and great to hear this single lens setup worked so well for you. I'm sure there were plenty of situations where you would have liked a more portrait FL, so I don't need to ask about that. Instead, I'd be curious to know if/when you wanted a wider FL. How wide would have been wide enough? My widest FL now is 28, and I'm trying to decide between a 21 (Loxia (a bit more than I want to spend) or, if it doesn't have the QC issues of the 15, the soon-to-be-released Voigtlander 21) and 15mm (the Laowa/2 or maybe Voigtlander 15 if I can find a good copy). I do mostly street shooting, but would like to dabble more in landscape. 15 and 21 are obviously really different, and 21 is probably the safer (next step) for me, but 15 is such a unique look that I think it would force me to be far more creative in my composition.

Anyway, the idea would be a light travel kit (where camera gear has to fit in with family gear) consisting of a 15 or 21, 35, and 55. All the lens changing would be a pain, so Tam 28-75 might cover most of the bases; that's why I'm curious to know your experience with 28.

I have the Samyang 35/2.8 which is so light you might as well keep it in your bag if you're using primes. I love the 55/1.8 for its light weight and portraits. 55 is not very long, but you got by with 28, so I think for city-based trips, it should be good enough. If I can find a good copy of the CV15 or CV21, that plus the Samyang and Sony 55 would add up to ~650g, so less than the GM zooms and just 100g more than my Tamron 28-75. Thanks.

So, in my experience, the 28mm was wide enough for my shooting style and overall trip documentary work/snapshots. On landscape photos/viewpoints, I often found 28mm was too wide (shooting across a river), just right, or if I needed to go wider, I actually just did a few vertical shots and stitched in post no problem. I was pretty impressed with those stitches as well because you get way more resolution out of that image than if you had lets say a single shot from 16mm.

I didn't care much for church interior photos and the common travel Europe architecture shots, and that is where I'd say some people may want a wider lens than just 28mm. There were some cool modern buildings where I could have spent a good portion of time in there with an ultra-wide, something closer to 16-20mm, but the 28mm still did fine and once you get used to ONE focal length you readjust your style and compositions to work within the constraints you gave yourself.

Final note/disclaimer: Know the trip you're taking, and set your expectations accordingly. This was my first big trip with my fiance. Not a photography trip. If it were, I would have likely brought more gear or at least my 16-35 instead of the 28. I very intentionally chose a small, light lens that could fit in a small sling bag. I carried my camera on my shoulder every single day, all-day, and didn't notice it. That was the goal.

-- hide signature --

Arizona Sunset
Arizona Sunset Senior Member • Posts: 3,795

Great captures and memories for you here.  I don't think that you could ask for more.  Did you find that you cropped much from 28mm, or did you wish to switch to a longer focal length ever?

Arizona Sunset's gear list:Arizona Sunset's gear list
Canon G7 X II Sony RX100 VI Sony RX1R II Apple iPhone 7 Plus
sullivanrp

Arizona Sunset wrote:

Great captures and memories for you here. I don't think that you could ask for more. Did you find that you cropped much from 28mm, or did you wish to switch to a longer focal length ever?

A quick glance at my final dimensions of about 100 "selects" suggests I kept about 75% uncropped and composed from camera. Included in that 75% are images that were just slightly adjusted to straighten/adjust perspectives, so were pretty close to full res.

That being said, I think I prefer the 35mm focal length more. After using the 28 extensively on this trip, I did not feel it limited me given the constraints i put on myself of one small lens. A 35 2.8 would have yielded similar results for the most part. I think I just prefer a slightly tighter field of view.

Sure, it would have been nice to have a 50 or 85 for some street photographs that are hard to capture inconspicuously when you get close with the 28, or some longer landscapes or portraits with the 85, but those make up such a small number of opportunities that I can say with 100% confidence I am glad I didn't carry around a second longer lens for this trip. I think it depends on the research you put forward before you travel and if there are any "must have" photos in the city/region.

-- hide signature --

Dennis from Florida
Dennis from Florida Regular Member • Posts: 346

Where was the "light bulb" staircase taken?   Love it!

Dennis from Florida's gear list:Dennis from Florida's gear list
Sony a7R III Sony 70-300mm F4.5-5.6 G SSM Sony FE 12-24mm F4 Sony FE 85mm F1.8 Sony FE 24-105mm F4 +3 more
sullivanrp

Dennis from Florida wrote:

Where was the "light bulb" staircase taken? Love it!

That gem is at the cubist museum near the town center in Prague. Surprisingly, the two of us were the only ones in the museum during our visit, both photographing the staircase and viewing the pieces on display.

-- hide signature --

Dennis from Florida
Dennis from Florida Regular Member • Posts: 346

sullivanrp wrote:

Dennis from Florida wrote:

Where was the "light bulb" staircase taken? Love it!

That gem is at the cubist museum near the town center in Prague. Surprisingly, the two of us were the only ones in the museum during our visit, both photographing the staircase and viewing the pieces on display.

Ah hah!!  My favorite city !!!

I have a friend who only looks for patterns (and only photographs black and white w/film).

I sent him a link to your pic and he's probably arranging his travel now.

Dennis from Florida's gear list:Dennis from Florida's gear list
Sony a7R III Sony 70-300mm F4.5-5.6 G SSM Sony FE 12-24mm F4 Sony FE 85mm F1.8 Sony FE 24-105mm F4 +3 more
Trek of Joy Regular Member • Posts: 268

Looks like you came back with a lot of great images, nice job!

Chris

-- hide signature --

Follow our trek around the world! Please like, comment, share and make suggestions on future destinations!
http://www.trekofjoy.com (coming soon)
https://www.instagram.com/trekofjoy/
https://www.facebook.com/trekofjoy/
https://twitter.com/trekofjoy

Trek of Joy's gear list:Trek of Joy's gear list
Fujifilm X-T2 Sony a7 III Sony a6300 Fujifilm XF 10-24mm F4 R OIS Fujifilm XF 23mm F1.4 R +4 more
snigs Regular Member • Posts: 153

Some great shots of Budapest and Prague. And sage advice too

snigs Regular Member • Posts: 153

Some excellent shots - am sure you enjoyed the trip and had a lot of fun

sean lancaster
sean lancaster Veteran Member • Posts: 7,398

Nice captures. I don't know if I replied to this discussion, but I would have suggested taking just the FE 28. I did the same thing in China recently and it was great! A single focal length is very easy to do when traveling and not "needing" to capture certain shots. You had fun and captured some great photographs. Mission accomplished.

sean lancaster's gear list:sean lancaster's gear list
Sony a7R II Sony FE 55mm F1.8 Voigtlander 35mm F1.2 Nokton Sony FE 28mm F2 Rokinon 135mm F2.0 +4 more
TheOwl360 Regular Member • Posts: 212

I just went through a similar decision-making process before traveling through nine states in the US, and just decided to bring a bit of everything.

In the end, it would have been wise just bringing the 16-35GM, which on the A7RIII is effectively 16-50mm, and the 24-105.

TheOwl360's gear list:TheOwl360's gear list
Sony a7R III Sony Carl Zeiss Sonnar T* E 24mm F1.8 ZA Sony FE 24-105mm F4 Zeiss Batis 85mm F1.8 Sony FE 90mm F2.8 macro +10 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads