Travel Set-Up - A7R III + what lenses

Started Apr 30, 2018 | Discussions
SafariBob
SafariBob Contributing Member • Posts: 772
Re: X100F Test 1 - Pike Place Market
2

Arizona Sunset wrote:

I’m convinced Sony didn’t release a 35 f2 to protect RX1 sales.

I would glue a compact 35 f2 to an A7 III if they had one.

I’m convinced Sony wasn't able to create a comapct 35mm f2 because of the narrow throat of he emount - ostensibly to maintain backward compatability with the aps-c bodies. They released the 28 f2 instead which I guess was everyone’s big hope but it is somewhat uninspiring.

 SafariBob's gear list:SafariBob's gear list
Sony a7R II Sony Vario-Tessar T* FE 16-35mm F4 ZA OSS Sony FE 35mm F2.8 Sony 70-400mm F4-5.6 G SSM
IamJF Contributing Member • Posts: 673
Re: X100F Test 1 - Pike Place Market

I don't think so. RX1 is a very special thing.

They have 2 great 35mm (and Zeiss and ...). I think they don't see the urgency unless they didn't completed the rest of the line-up.

I also really believe they will bring a 35/1.8 in the range of the 85, 28, 50/55mm. And don't make it to cheap - it has to be great! (quality of the 85mm, not 50mm!)

Will probably preorder that lens 🤓

 IamJF's gear list:IamJF's gear list
Sony a7 III Sony Vario-Tessar T* FE 16-35mm F4 ZA OSS Sony FE 35mm F2.8 Sony FE 90mm F2.8 macro Sony FE 55mm F1.8 +4 more
sullivanrp
OP sullivanrp Forum Member • Posts: 54
Re: X100F Test 1 - Pike Place Market
2

Consensus seems to be, for nearly every 30-35mm FL lover who owns an A7, that regardless of the reasoning - whether engineering challenges for size, or marketing challenges to not cannibalize sales of the rx1r - we all want a 35 1.8-2.0 close to the size of the 28 f/2, with AF, and would pay a decent amount for it.

If only.

-- hide signature --

instagram.com/ryansullivanphoto

 sullivanrp's gear list:sullivanrp's gear list
Sony a7R III Sony FE 85mm F1.8 Sony Vario-Tessar T* FE 16-35mm F4 ZA OSS Samyang AF 35mm F1.4 FE
Trek of Joy Regular Member • Posts: 268
Re: Travel Set-Up - A7R III + what lenses

sullivanrp wrote:

Everyone has different shooting styles, everyone likes different lenses - that aside I want to hear what some people are using out there or would use in my situation.

Heading to Prague, Budapest, Vienna this summer (2 week trip). Not a photography based trip (won't be chasing golden hours, don't want to carry ALL my gear) - but a romantic trip. Expecting most days to be walking around the cities, aside from a wine tour in austria in the countryside. Likely will not be returning to our hotel room/airbnb throughout the day. This means whatever I leave with in the morning I am carrying on my shoulder/back the entire day, potentially.

Gear I have:

A7R III | 16-35mm f4 | Rokinon 35mm 1.4 | FE 85mm 1.8 | Pre-ordered tamron 28-75

My thoughts so far: Pretty much ruled out the 85mm because its too niche and would only likely be used for portraits or scenic views, aka carrying dead weight around. The 35 1.4 can achieve the portraits I'd want while still being a friendly street photography/normal field of view walk around. Love the 1.4 look. The 16-35 would basically take all the interior/architecture shots any place we visit. 28-75 general use for anything really, compromises on wide end, but decently light and covers a lot.

Any tips/advice from someone who has been to these cities or travels a lot given my options? A Fuji x100 is on my mind as well just to say screw it, don't carry multiple lenses, and have a pocketable camera.

Been to 55 countries in the last year and a half, the 16-35 is my most used lens by far. If the 24-105 was around that may be different. But when walking around the UWA zoom is so handy. I carried the 28/2 for low light stuff, but most of the time I didn't swap lenses because of dust. If you want a smaller setup, I'd go with the FE 28 over something like a X100 as IBIS and 42mp give you so much flexibility.

Budapest is a cool place, after the sun goes down the bugs really come out in force around the river. Prague is just awesome, so much to see, so many Czech beers to try, move slowly through the streets to take in everything - and don't forget to look up.

Budapest

Charles River

Enjoy!

Chris

-- hide signature --

Follow our trek around the world! Please like, comment, share and make suggestions on future destinations!
http://www.trekofjoy.com (coming soon)
https://www.instagram.com/trekofjoy/
https://www.facebook.com/trekofjoy/
https://twitter.com/trekofjoy

 Trek of Joy's gear list:Trek of Joy's gear list
Fujifilm X-T2 Sony a7 III Sony a6300 Fujifilm XF 10-24mm F4 R OIS Fujifilm XF 23mm F1.4 R +4 more
Bruce Oudekerk
Bruce Oudekerk Veteran Member • Posts: 3,614
Re: Travel Set-Up - A7R III + what lenses
2

The correct focal length always depends on what you will be shooting and how you choose to shoot it.  In Alaska I used 'longer' frequently but not so much in urban or conventional scenic settings.

We got back from Prague, Krakow etc. less than two weeks ago and EVERYTHING was shot with the FE16-35 ZA f4.0 or FE24-105G f4.0... both great lenses. If push came to shove and I could only have had have one, I suppose it would be the 16-35. A few years ago that would have surprised me.

Like the OP, I only wanted to carry one lens all day and I typically started out having a rough inkling of which lens would be better for that day's excursion. A boat trip or shots from atop Prague's Old Town Hall = 24-105... but walking in narrow streets or cathedral interiors = 16-35. Most of the time I got it right:)

The realities are that you are not going to get THE perfect answer unless you are willing to carry more than one lens... but life is a compromise.

Bruce

 Bruce Oudekerk's gear list:Bruce Oudekerk's gear list
Sony a7R II Sony FE 50mm F1.8 Sony FE 70-300mm F4.5-5.6 G OSS Sony Vario-Tessar T* FE 16-35mm F4 ZA OSS Sony FE 24-105mm F4
MizBrown
MizBrown Regular Member • Posts: 469
Re: X100F Test 1 - Pike Place Market
1

I've taken most photos on the street both in Nicaragua (where I live and don't take pictures of the riot police right now) and Mexico City with either a a6000 and the Sony/Zeiss 24mm f/1.8 (a brilliant APSC lens) or an a7 and a 35mm Sony/Zeiss f/2.8.  This is especially the way to go when traveling with people who aren't photographers on something that isn't a photographic mission.

For tiny shop interiors here, I use an 18mm Batis f/2,8 and found the 35mm too wide.

If I were just doing a photographic trip, I'd bring three lenses: 18mm, 35mm, and 55mm.  Or those and an adapted 105mm Nikkor f/2.5.

Distorting someone else's experience by dragging around a lot of lenses and gear makes things less fun.  If this was a woman photographer on a romantic trip with a non-photographer, would anyone give the advice to just do the photography full out and let the romantic partner get used to it.

Other option would be the 24-105mm zoom, but there's something to be said for just having one prime and the pictures can be fantastic.  Advantage of primes is that they're somewhat less conspicuous for snatch and run thieves.

I like the a6000 for street work because it's a less conspicuous camera, but I've had one camera buff explain that he had a better camera than mine -- Canon with a zoom lens instead of a Sony a7 with a Zeiss Batis 18mm non-zoom.   I'm happy that my gear isn't Canon or Nikon which thieves world wide know about.

 MizBrown's gear list:MizBrown's gear list
Sony a7 Sony FE 55mm F1.8 Sony a6000 Sony E 35mm F1.8 OSS Sony Carl Zeiss Sonnar T* E 24mm F1.8 ZA +6 more
Arizona Sunset
Arizona Sunset Senior Member • Posts: 3,795
Re: X100F Test 1 - Pike Place Market

SafariBob wrote:

I’m convinced Sony wasn't able to create a comapct 35mm f2 because of the narrow throat of he emount - ostensibly to maintain backward compatability with the aps-c bodies. They released the 28 f2 instead which I guess was everyone’s big hope but it is somewhat uninspiring.

Sony's 28mm f2 has a more aggressive angle to deal with than a regular old 35mm f2. There is not a technical limitation.

For another angle, take a look at the Techart Pro, which adds AF to Leica M's (short flange distance lenses):

Remember, Sony has the 50 1.8, 55 f1.8, 50 f2.8, and 50 f1.4.  Different strokes for the 50.  Time do the same for the 35.

 Arizona Sunset's gear list:Arizona Sunset's gear list
Canon G7 X II Sony RX100 VI Sony RX1R II Apple iPhone 7 Plus
sullivanrp
OP sullivanrp Forum Member • Posts: 54
Re: Travel Set-Up - A7R III + what lenses
1

Trek of Joy wrote:

sullivanrp wrote:

Everyone has different shooting styles, everyone likes different lenses - that aside I want to hear what some people are using out there or would use in my situation.

Heading to Prague, Budapest, Vienna this summer (2 week trip). Not a photography based trip (won't be chasing golden hours, don't want to carry ALL my gear) - but a romantic trip. Expecting most days to be walking around the cities, aside from a wine tour in austria in the countryside. Likely will not be returning to our hotel room/airbnb throughout the day. This means whatever I leave with in the morning I am carrying on my shoulder/back the entire day, potentially.

Gear I have:

A7R III | 16-35mm f4 | Rokinon 35mm 1.4 | FE 85mm 1.8 | Pre-ordered tamron 28-75

My thoughts so far: Pretty much ruled out the 85mm because its too niche and would only likely be used for portraits or scenic views, aka carrying dead weight around. The 35 1.4 can achieve the portraits I'd want while still being a friendly street photography/normal field of view walk around. Love the 1.4 look. The 16-35 would basically take all the interior/architecture shots any place we visit. 28-75 general use for anything really, compromises on wide end, but decently light and covers a lot.

Any tips/advice from someone who has been to these cities or travels a lot given my options? A Fuji x100 is on my mind as well just to say screw it, don't carry multiple lenses, and have a pocketable camera.

Been to 55 countries in the last year and a half, the 16-35 is my most used lens by far. If the 24-105 was around that may be different. But when walking around the UWA zoom is so handy. I carried the 28/2 for low light stuff, but most of the time I didn't swap lenses because of dust. If you want a smaller setup, I'd go with the FE 28 over something like a X100 as IBIS and 42mp give you so much flexibility.

Budapest is a cool place, after the sun goes down the bugs really come out in force around the river. Prague is just awesome, so much to see, so many Czech beers to try, move slowly through the streets to take in everything - and don't forget to look up.

Budapest

Charles River

Enjoy!

Chris

Thanks for the advice and photos! I am leaning towards just a 28 at this point, or the 16-35 + 28 right now. Means more money to spend on the trip, and lightweight kit relative to other options.

The x100 was great, but cant justify the cost next to an a7r + 28 or 35 combo when the size isn't incredibly different - if I still had my 5D III or 1DX that would be a different story.

-- hide signature --

instagram.com/ryansullivanphoto

 sullivanrp's gear list:sullivanrp's gear list
Sony a7R III Sony FE 85mm F1.8 Sony Vario-Tessar T* FE 16-35mm F4 ZA OSS Samyang AF 35mm F1.4 FE
Trek of Joy Regular Member • Posts: 268
Re: Travel Set-Up - A7R III + what lenses

sullivanrp wrote:

Trek of Joy wrote:

sullivanrp wrote:

Everyone has different shooting styles, everyone likes different lenses - that aside I want to hear what some people are using out there or would use in my situation.

Heading to Prague, Budapest, Vienna this summer (2 week trip). Not a photography based trip (won't be chasing golden hours, don't want to carry ALL my gear) - but a romantic trip. Expecting most days to be walking around the cities, aside from a wine tour in austria in the countryside. Likely will not be returning to our hotel room/airbnb throughout the day. This means whatever I leave with in the morning I am carrying on my shoulder/back the entire day, potentially.

Gear I have:

A7R III | 16-35mm f4 | Rokinon 35mm 1.4 | FE 85mm 1.8 | Pre-ordered tamron 28-75

My thoughts so far: Pretty much ruled out the 85mm because its too niche and would only likely be used for portraits or scenic views, aka carrying dead weight around. The 35 1.4 can achieve the portraits I'd want while still being a friendly street photography/normal field of view walk around. Love the 1.4 look. The 16-35 would basically take all the interior/architecture shots any place we visit. 28-75 general use for anything really, compromises on wide end, but decently light and covers a lot.

Any tips/advice from someone who has been to these cities or travels a lot given my options? A Fuji x100 is on my mind as well just to say screw it, don't carry multiple lenses, and have a pocketable camera.

Been to 55 countries in the last year and a half, the 16-35 is my most used lens by far. If the 24-105 was around that may be different. But when walking around the UWA zoom is so handy. I carried the 28/2 for low light stuff, but most of the time I didn't swap lenses because of dust. If you want a smaller setup, I'd go with the FE 28 over something like a X100 as IBIS and 42mp give you so much flexibility.

Budapest is a cool place, after the sun goes down the bugs really come out in force around the river. Prague is just awesome, so much to see, so many Czech beers to try, move slowly through the streets to take in everything - and don't forget to look up.

Budapest

Charles River

Enjoy!

Chris

Thanks for the advice and photos! I am leaning towards just a 28 at this point, or the 16-35 + 28 right now. Means more money to spend on the trip, and lightweight kit relative to other options.

The x100 was great, but cant justify the cost next to an a7r + 28 or 35 combo when the size isn't incredibly different - if I still had my 5D III or 1DX that would be a different story.

I carry 4 lenses when I travel and typically have 2 bodies in the bag with a lens attached, so when I walk around I can avoid changing lenses. If I only carried one I agree with Bruce - the 16-35/4 is the way to go. The UWA zoom is so versatile as a walkabout lens - especially with tight streets and interiors - and in crop mode it gains reach. It has nicer sunstars than the 28, in my opinion as well.

Depends on what you shoot, but I find a UWA zoom indispensable when traveling, more so than a standard like the 24-70.

Cheers

Chris

-- hide signature --

Follow our trek around the world! Please like, comment, share and make suggestions on future destinations!
http://www.trekofjoy.com (coming soon)
https://www.instagram.com/trekofjoy/
https://www.facebook.com/trekofjoy/
https://twitter.com/trekofjoy

 Trek of Joy's gear list:Trek of Joy's gear list
Fujifilm X-T2 Sony a7 III Sony a6300 Fujifilm XF 10-24mm F4 R OIS Fujifilm XF 23mm F1.4 R +4 more
sportyaccordy Forum Pro • Posts: 14,944
Re: X100F Test 1 - Pike Place Market

SafariBob wrote:

Arizona Sunset wrote:

I’m convinced Sony didn’t release a 35 f2 to protect RX1 sales.

I would glue a compact 35 f2 to an A7 III if they had one.

I’m convinced Sony wasn't able to create a comapct 35mm f2 because of the narrow throat of he emount - ostensibly to maintain backward compatability with the aps-c bodies. They released the 28 f2 instead which I guess was everyone’s big hope but it is somewhat uninspiring.

If they could make the 28/2 they could make an even smaller 35/2.

-- hide signature --

Sometimes I take pictures with my gear- https://www.flickr.com/photos/41601371@N00/

 sportyaccordy's gear list:sportyaccordy's gear list
NEX-5T Sony a7R II Canon EOS 5D Mark IV Samyang 14mm F2.8 ED AS IF UMC Sigma 70-200mm F2.8 EX DG Macro HSM II +6 more
jrfarrar Junior Member • Posts: 33
Re: Travel Set-Up - A7R III + what lenses
3

Browsed this thread right before I left for Hanoi and Beijing. I was in a similar position and also wanted to take some of my manual converted lenses. First, I'm glad I didn't. The 24-105 almost never came off the camera. I only carried it and the 16-35 in my small shoulder bag. I did pop on the 16-35 a few times but less than I thought I would. However I find myself a bit more of a street shooter than buildings and architecture. The 105 seemed to give me that quick reach at times where I wanted to capture a scene or person quickly. It was just there. The 16-35 went on inside buildings mostly.  I also tend to like to isolate things. So I think this one is a little more of personal choice in shots. I love both lenses and couldn't imagine a better pair. I was using my new a7iii and the low light capability of this camera made night shots a non issue with the f4. Previous to it i used my a7.

At any rate thanks for the thread. It was an interesting read.

snigs Regular Member • Posts: 153
Re: Travel Set-Up - A7R III + what lenses
1

I did this trip last year with my family and I thought that the wide-angle zoom was the most useful lens. And ofcourse the cell phone camera. My flick'r stream has a few of my favourite photos with EXIF data included.

For a trip with an emphasis on romance, and these cities are certainly great choices, a rented Sony RX100 may bring back a lot of great memories.

Al D Regular Member • Posts: 301
Re: Travel Set-Up - A7R III + what lenses

travelguymiami wrote:

While I can't speak for your travel weight desires, I can say that as I have just returned last month from tuscany and took photos at every sunrise and sunset, you will use the 150-300 range an insane amount of the time. The landscape is so wide open that you will be left with a lot of empty photos without it. Many of the best angles require you to be far away and zoom in. In many other cases, you would BE ABLE to get a shot with out that zoom, but would require zooming with your feet for long distances. The photo below is an example- that is at 200mm and after i already walked about 300 yards off the road . I could have zoomed out to probably 20mm and still would not have seen a single object of interest to break up the rolling hills. There are certainly still a good number of shots you can get at lower, but you'll be surprised at how often you'd want to go in much more . Its fantastic btw and I hope you love your trip.

As for the OP: when will you be in Prague? I am going to be driving through Moravia and will stop in Prague sometime in the 3rd week of May.

Nice photo! strangely similar to some of the photos I took in Andalucia last year with a... 35mm. I like to travel light...

 Al D's gear list:Al D's gear list
Sony a7 Sony FE 35mm F2.8 Sony FE 28-70mm F3.5-5.6 OSS Sony FE 28mm F2 Sony FE 24-240mm F3.5-6.3 OSS +2 more
Al D Regular Member • Posts: 301
Re: Travel Set-Up - A7R III + what lenses
3

sullivanrp wrote:

Any tips/advice from someone who has been to these cities or travels a lot given my options? A Fuji x100 is on my mind as well just to say screw it, don't carry multiple lenses, and have a pocketable camera.

I've carried a lot of gear around, in the end I settled on just one lens for walking around all day in crowded streets and tourist areas, outdoor, indoor, churches and museums... my 35mm f2.8. It's been to a dozen countries, cities and villages big and small, tooks thousands of great pictures with it. I like to travel light, not show off, blend in with the locals whenever possible. I have my camera on wrist strap with the smallest lens and just a small shoulder bag that doesn't look like it's hiding thousands of dollars of photo gear. Recently added a 28mm f2.0 to my travel kit because I've been wanting wider than 35 and on my last trip I mostly used the 28. Just my two cents.

 Al D's gear list:Al D's gear list
Sony a7 Sony FE 35mm F2.8 Sony FE 28-70mm F3.5-5.6 OSS Sony FE 28mm F2 Sony FE 24-240mm F3.5-6.3 OSS +2 more
(unknown member) Senior Member • Posts: 8,068
Re: Travel Set-Up - A7R III + what lenses

travelguymiami wrote:

Beautiful shapes and colors!

wwwOKCOMEONcom
wwwOKCOMEONcom Contributing Member • Posts: 540
Re: Travel Set-Up - A7R III + what lenses
wwwOKCOMEONcom
wwwOKCOMEONcom Contributing Member • Posts: 540
Re: Travel Set-Up - A7R III + what lenses
1

In Prague I used Hasselblad 500cm + 3 lens

CF50 = 30,CF100 = 60, CF150 = 90

I used CF 50&100 most,each around 40 %

……………………………………………….

Now,I would buy
CV12 ,Loxia 21 , Batis 85
Using apsc mode & clear image zoom
They(except cv12)become
21,31.5,42 & 85,128.5,170
Loxia 21 would be my all-rounder
……………………………………………….
Many years ago I found that 25mm
was not wide enough for most churches
exterior scenes in Macau,therefore,
21mm must be the solutuon

sullivanrp
OP sullivanrp Forum Member • Posts: 54
Re: Travel Set-Up - What I decided
1

In case anyone was wondering what I ended up doing:

  • I rented an X100 to try out. Enjoyed it, a lot. Decided it wasn't worth the $ given its size and IQ next to an A7R III + 35 or 28mm. I like full frame. The sony isn't too large to begin with. If I still had an slr with bigger lenses, I probably would have grabbed the Fuji, though.
  • Bought a Sony 28mm F2
    (recently replaced my 35 2.8 with a 1.4 so looked to minimize redundancy in my kit)
  • Will be taking just the 28mm with me on this trip.
  • Looked for a sling-style bag that could carry just this set-up plus a few other small items. Ruled out Peak Design sling, too large. Ideally wanted a 2-4L capacity to fit this. I bought a North Face Kanga hip pack, and I think it will wear cross-body well after some initial testing. I have two short weekend trips coming up where I'll test the full set-up and see if I need to grab a different bag due to weight distribution/comfort. Trying to avoiding carrying a backpack/larger bag around and leaving all the extra nonsense at the airbnbs.

As always, YMMV. Happy to answer any specific questions regarding 28mm vs 35mm on the Sony, the other bags I looked into, and anything else. After the trip I'll follow up with a few photos I'm sure.

-- hide signature --

instagram.com/ryansullivanphoto

 sullivanrp's gear list:sullivanrp's gear list
Sony a7R III Sony FE 85mm F1.8 Sony Vario-Tessar T* FE 16-35mm F4 ZA OSS Samyang AF 35mm F1.4 FE
snigs Regular Member • Posts: 153
Re: Travel Set-Up - What I decided

Excellent choice and wise decision with the 28mm - did you get the 21mm add-on lens too. May be useful.

When you do find a bag that works, I am very interested in knowing about that  - look forward to the photos

Al D Regular Member • Posts: 301
Re: Travel Set-Up - What I decided

sullivanrp wrote:

In case anyone was wondering what I ended up doing:

  • I rented an X100 to try out. Enjoyed it, a lot. Decided it wasn't worth the $ given its size and IQ next to an A7R III + 35 or 28mm. I like full frame. The sony isn't too large to begin with. If I still had an slr with bigger lenses, I probably would have grabbed the Fuji, though.
  • Bought a Sony 28mm F2
    (recently replaced my 35 2.8 with a 1.4 so looked to minimize redundancy in my kit)
  • Will be taking just the 28mm with me on this trip.
  • Looked for a sling-style bag that could carry just this set-up plus a few other small items. Ruled out Peak Design sling, too large. Ideally wanted a 2-4L capacity to fit this. I bought a North Face Kanga hip pack, and I think it will wear cross-body well after some initial testing. I have two short weekend trips coming up where I'll test the full set-up and see if I need to grab a different bag due to weight distribution/comfort. Trying to avoiding carrying a backpack/larger bag around and leaving all the extra nonsense at the airbnbs.

As always, YMMV. Happy to answer any specific questions regarding 28mm vs 35mm on the Sony, the other bags I looked into, and anything else. After the trip I'll follow up with a few photos I'm sure.

Basically what I travel with.

I've been using an Osprey sling bag with zipped pockets, etc. Multipurpose, like a women's purse but without the make-up kit and better organized? I take it with me everywhere. Small enough to fit under the seat in a plane, yet functional and large enough to hold camera, wallet, phone, travel documents, second battery, memory cards, a filter or two, a small pack of kleenex, pills,... you know, stuff you need to have on you. Daytime walking around, other than the camera, I can take a second lens if I want to, or not, sometimes a travel book, even a small water bottle, a granola bar, etc. Large enough to stuff in a light sweater if I choose (actually pads the camera).

Something like this does the job: https://www.travelonbags.com/anti-theft/anti-theft-classic-cross-body-bucket-bag-1284

I think your choice of lens is a good one for what you want to do. I mostly used this lens on my last trip, my first one with it. Now that I'm back and had a chance to better look at my pics and start processing them I find that the ones I take with my 35 come out better. The 28mm will not replace my small 35 f2.8. Not for size or image quality.

 Al D's gear list:Al D's gear list
Sony a7 Sony FE 35mm F2.8 Sony FE 28-70mm F3.5-5.6 OSS Sony FE 28mm F2 Sony FE 24-240mm F3.5-6.3 OSS +2 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads