Travel Set-Up - A7R III + what lenses

Started Apr 30, 2018 | Discussions
AlbertDros
AlbertDros Regular Member • Posts: 285
Re: Travel Set-Up - A7R III + what lenses

Neurad1 wrote:

Headed to Tuscany for two weeks next month.

Right now I have the Laowa 15 2, Loxia 35 2 (it's my only 35mm prime), and the Sony24-105 packed.

I ditched the 70-300, though at first I had planned to take it for some compresed landscapes in Val d'Orcia. I just don't want to deal with the extra weight and doubt I'd use it enough to justify. Hopefully I'll get by using the 105 in APS-C mode for a few of those compressed landscape shots.

I also took the Gitzo Travel Tripod out of my suitcase and decided to leave it home.

If I lived in Tuscany and was traveling all around by car it would be different. I hope to keep it simple and get what I can with a limited kit. I'm sure I will have a few regrets. That's life.

I normally use my wide angle for 90% of my shots, but for tuscany the 70-300 is by far my most used lens with around 80% of all the shots I take there! 'few of those compressed landscape shots'. Not sure what kind of shooter you are but In tuscany I was basically ONLY taking those compressed landscape shots. And often shooting at 300. Next time im bringing the 100-400.

sullivanrp
OP sullivanrp Forum Member • Posts: 54

PWPhotography wrote:

16-35mm f4 and Tamron 28-75 should be great setup, Rokinon 35mm 1.4 if take evening photos hand-held.

I went to exact the same cities (except wine tour) a few years ago with A7r, 5D III, EF 24-70L/2.8 II, EF 70-200L/4.0 IS, FE 35/2.8 ZA and FE 55/1.8 ZA then. Carried two sets in daytime then returned hotels, left 5D III there and only carried A7r with tripod for evening photos.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/55485085@N04/albums/72157642018613634

Love all these three cities, very romantic

Personally I will still carry two cameras as it's a hassle for me to swap lenses. Now FE 16-35 GM (or EF 24-70L/2.8 II, one of them) on A7r III, FE 70-200G (or Batis 135 for lighter/smaller option) on A7r II (or A9), FE 55, Canon 17L TS-E swap in when needed.

Thanks for your advice, and the image link to your great photos! This really helped give me a sense of landscape/cityscape lens use looking at focal lengths. Definitely a number of similar shots I want to create seem to be primarily in the 24-50mm range, however seeing shots on the 35 2.8 was a great sign too.

-- hide signature --

instagram.com/ryansullivanphoto

sullivanrp's gear list:sullivanrp's gear list
Sony a7R III Sony Vario-Tessar T* FE 16-35mm F4 ZA OSS Sony FE 85mm F1.8 Samyang AF 35mm F1.4 FE
(unknown member) Senior Member • Posts: 8,068

sullivanrp wrote:

Thanks for your advice, and the image link to your great photos! This really helped give me a sense of landscape/cityscape lens use looking at focal lengths.

If you are uncertain about what look different focal lengths give, Flickr is always a great source!

PeterY Senior Member • Posts: 2,269

sullivanrp wrote:

PeterY wrote:

3. X100F - renting this to test it out this weekend. Smaller than the sony+28 combo, no changing lenses, won't probably notice the weight compared to #1 when walking around all day. And let's be honest, it's got the aesthetic advantage too. But we will see how I actually like the performance and handling.

Just warning you now....you're not gonna wanna give this thing back! Get the 28mm converter and you're all set!

Have you used it a lot, both with and without the converter? The converter definitely intrigues me, as I find my preferred FL always seems to be between 28-35 for walk-around.

No I haven't yet. Just got the converter about a week ago and the camera a couple of weeks ago. Been out a couple of times but nothing serious. I also got the 50mm converter as well for the upcoming trip in the summer. The wide converter is still relatively compact but the tele is a honking big lens for such a small body. They both work well with no loss of IQ what so ever.

For a trip I think the X100F and the wide converter is all you need. Don't forget also that the X100F has a fantastic digital zoom albeit only in jpg. The 50mm digital zoom has no loss of quality but the one after that has a slight loss.

PeterY's gear list:PeterY's gear list
Fujifilm X100F Sony a7R III Sony a7 III Canon EF 70-200mm F4L IS USM Sony FE 55mm F1.8 +4 more
James Stirling
James Stirling Senior Member • Posts: 4,865

Dennis from Florida wrote:

IamJF wrote:

Check out Cosyspeed Camslinger - best bag for a small A7 setup.

I noticed B&H has one for $20 and one for $120...looks like the same size...must be materials are better.

Dennis , I am Scottish the $20 model is obviously better

-- hide signature --

Jim Stirling
“Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passion, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence.” John Adams

James Stirling's gear list:James Stirling's gear list
Sony RX100 IV Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX8 Nikon Z7 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 60mm F2.8 Macro Panasonic 12-35mm F2.8 +8 more
Arizona Sunset
Arizona Sunset Senior Member • Posts: 3,795

PeterY wrote:

sullivanrp wrote:

PeterY wrote:

3. X100F - renting this to test it out this weekend. Smaller than the sony+28 combo, no changing lenses, won't probably notice the weight compared to #1 when walking around all day. And let's be honest, it's got the aesthetic advantage too. But we will see how I actually like the performance and handling.

Just warning you now....you're not gonna wanna give this thing back! Get the 28mm converter and you're all set!

Have you used it a lot, both with and without the converter? The converter definitely intrigues me, as I find my preferred FL always seems to be between 28-35 for walk-around.

No I haven't yet. Just got the converter about a week ago and the camera a couple of weeks ago. Been out a couple of times but nothing serious. I also got the 50mm converter as well for the upcoming trip in the summer. The wide converter is still relatively compact but the tele is a honking big lens for such a small body. They both work well with no loss of IQ what so ever.

For a trip I think the X100F and the wide converter is all you need. Don't forget also that the X100F has a fantastic digital zoom albeit only in jpg. The 50mm digital zoom has no loss of quality but the one after that has a slight loss.

The Fuji adapters changed the fun factor for the X100 cameras for me.

When I compared the X100S/T to the 28mm f2 and 35mm f2.8, the compact Sony lenses gave a more pleasing result than the X100 at 28, 35, and 50 effective, regardless of with WCL and TCL on or off.

With the newer III cameras, the difference is more noticeable.

Arizona Sunset's gear list:Arizona Sunset's gear list
Canon G7 X II Sony RX1R II Sony RX100 VI Apple iPhone 7 Plus
PeterY Senior Member • Posts: 2,269

The Fuji adapters changed the fun factor for the X100 cameras for me.

When I compared the X100S/T to the 28mm f2 and 35mm f2.8, the compact Sony lenses gave a more pleasing result than the X100 at 28, 35, and 50 effective, regardless of with WCL and TCL on or off.

With the newer III cameras, the difference is more noticeable.

"Pleasing result" is simply too subjective. But granted, we are talking vacation photos here not paid work. For that subtle difference (which you can probably match in post anyway) I would much rather carry around an X100 series rather then an A7 series + 35 2.8 or the like.

PeterY's gear list:PeterY's gear list
Fujifilm X100F Sony a7R III Sony a7 III Canon EF 70-200mm F4L IS USM Sony FE 55mm F1.8 +4 more
Arizona Sunset

PeterY wrote:

"Pleasing result" is simply too subjective.

Put differently, the 28mm f2 had better center sharpness, details around the frame, subject isolation, colors, autofocus, and responsiveness, and that resulted in a more pleasing image (and also shooting experience, as the grip of the 7 series doesn't require a palm pinch like the X100 and RX1 series).

I used the RX1 and RX1R II exclusively for a couple of years, and wanted to believe the X100 hype.

Can it create great pictures?  Sure, but beyond the aesthetics and OVF, I'm not sure anything is really better.

sullivanrp

Arizona Sunset wrote:

PeterY wrote:

"Pleasing result" is simply too subjective.

Put differently, the 28mm f2 had better center sharpness, details around the frame, subject isolation, colors, autofocus, and responsiveness, and that resulted in a more pleasing image (and also shooting experience, as the grip of the 7 series doesn't require a palm pinch like the X100 and RX1 series).

I used the RX1 and RX1R II exclusively for a couple of years, and wanted to believe the X100 hype.

Can it create great pictures? Sure, but beyond the aesthetics and OVF, I'm not sure anything is really better.

After holding it in my hand, right next to my a7r III now with a 35mm 2.8 equipped. I am not sold on aesthetic, feel, and size alone. I am going to see how it makes me feel when I shoot. I must admit the 35 2.8 leaves a lot to be desired for me in terms of shooting experience. That may be unfair given they fit that lens into its size, and that I want it closer to 1.8 or 2, but still, it doesn't wow me at all.

If anything I'd give the 28mm f2 a try for this trip over the 35 2.8 for the extra stop of light while maintaining a compact size.

-- hide signature --

Sony a7R III Sony Vario-Tessar T* FE 16-35mm F4 ZA OSS Sony FE 85mm F1.8 Samyang AF 35mm F1.4 FE
IamJF Contributing Member • Posts: 673

Interesting - what's you don't like?

APS-C will not deliver more "wow" photos ...

Keep us updated!

IamJF's gear list:IamJF's gear list
Sony a7 III Sony FE 35mm F2.8 Sony FE 55mm F1.8 Sony Vario-Tessar T* FE 16-35mm F4 ZA OSS Sony FE 28mm F2 +4 more
envnews Regular Member • Posts: 262

sullivanrp wrote:

Everyone has different shooting styles, everyone likes different lenses - that aside I want to hear what some people are using out there or would use in my situation.

Heading to Prague, Budapest, Vienna this summer (2 week trip). Not a photography based trip (won't be chasing golden hours, don't want to carry ALL my gear) - but a romantic trip. Expecting most days to be walking around the cities, aside from a wine tour in austria in the countryside. Likely will not be returning to our hotel room/airbnb throughout the day. This means whatever I leave with in the morning I am carrying on my shoulder/back the entire day, potentially.

Gear I have:

A7R III | 16-35mm f4 | Rokinon 35mm 1.4 | FE 85mm 1.8 | Pre-ordered tamron 28-75

My thoughts so far: Pretty much ruled out the 85mm because its too niche and would only likely be used for portraits or scenic views, aka carrying dead weight around. The 35 1.4 can achieve the portraits I'd want while still being a friendly street photography/normal field of view walk around. Love the 1.4 look. The 16-35 would basically take all the interior/architecture shots any place we visit. 28-75 general use for anything really, compromises on wide end, but decently light and covers a lot.

Any tips/advice from someone who has been to these cities or travels a lot given my options? A Fuji x100 is on my mind as well just to say screw it, don't carry multiple lenses, and have a pocketable camera.

I mostly agree with you:go with the 16-35, tamron and 35 1.4.if you have the tamron the 85 would become redundant.the 35 1.4 gives you the aperture you need to shoot in lowlight.you need wider than 28 in those narrow european streets. Forget the fuji, it's not truly pocketable, you would give up too much for little gain in terms of portability compared to your sony with only only the 35 attached

envnews's gear list:envnews's gear list
Canon EOS 7D Sony a7R Sony a7R II Sony a7R III Canon EF 400mm f/5.6L USM +6 more
sullivanrp
X100F Test 1 - Pike Place Market

It took me a little bit to figure out the best button layout and settings with the X100F, also learning what does what. I will say that it was fun to shoot with a small camera, and people didn't give me the same looks, both in shyness or anger or curiosity, as when I use my Sony with a 35 1.4. That being said...

You can't separate the shutter button half press for focusing (i.e. no backbutton af). I've been using BB-AF for 5+years now, so that's a problem for me. I can throw it into manual mode and use the AEL button, but then I don't have the same AF point control.

The interface is a little sluggish to get through and find everything, coming from both Canon and Sony (the a7r III, mind you, not an earlier model) this could be the worst of those 3 systems I've used in terms of menu interface for me.

AF performance was good. No problems there. IQ is great, albeit I didn't shoot a lot of stuff wide-open, and didn't try too many cityscapes/landscapes. I see how people fall in love with this camera, but I am not sure I'd spend the money on it over a 28 f/2 for my sony for a trip. The 35 2.8 on a a7 is pretty darn close in size too, after holding both.

I did bring my Sony 35mm 1.4 and A7R III with me, in a shoulder bag, on this photowalk, to get a sense of weight and feel for travel. I definitely could see that size combination, in addition to any more lenses, being annoying after a couple hours. Realistically while traveling, though, I'd guess you are stopping/sitting throughout the day breaking up the load, and carrying the camera more than having it in the bag, ideally.

Anyhow, for those interested, here are some snaps from today:

-- hide signature --

Re: X100F Test 1 - Pike Place Market

Very nice, especially the first two!!! (These are the "famous Fuji colors" - i.e. neutral, desaturated, yet with good contrast and strong primary colors). Nice composition too!

Arizona Sunset

Fun compositions and colors - Fuji red blessings from the final image there.

If you tried to snap my pic with an X100F, I think the X100F would make me think, “how old is that camera that dude’s using?”, only later to realize you just snuck a fast one.

What’s your inclination now?

sullivanrp

Arizona Sunset wrote:

Fun compositions and colors - Fuji red blessings from the final image there.

If you tried to snap my pic with an X100F, I think the X100F would make me think, “how old is that camera that dude’s using?”, only later to realize you just snuck a fast one.

What’s your inclination now?

It was a fun little camera to use. If I still had a full size DSLR then I think this would be the go-to travel option instead.

However, having an A7R (with a 35 2.8), and seeing it next to the Fuji, the size factor isn't so much there. I think the 42mp and the EVF, along with back-button focus, outweigh the size. The Fuji was excellent, if it was full-frame I think I'd maybe try it for the trip to iron out the quirks. But, I wasn't convinced. I didn't give it an "exhaustive" test by any means. I just think the A7R, with a 35 2.8 or the 28 2 will be the best FOR ME. (not to mention the $ savings given I already have the Sony system).

Would highly recommend the Fuji - but not against an A7 series with the small 28/35, despite the 35 still not being an f1.8-2.

-- hide signature --

sullivanrp wrote:

Would highly recommend the Fuji - but not against an A7 series with the small 28/35, despite the 35 still not being an f1.8-2.

Voigtlander 40/1.2 tempting?

sullivanrp

BBQue wrote:

sullivanrp wrote:

Voigtlander 40/1.2 tempting?

Personally, I prefer closer to a 30mm FL for a walkaround/all-purpose lens. YMMV. That lens does look good minus the lack of AF, though.

-- hide signature --

Dennis from Florida
Dennis from Florida Regular Member • Posts: 334

sullivanrp wrote:

1. If the 24-105 stock issues are sorted out by the time I leave and I can obtain one (decided to cancel my 28-75 pre-order), I would grab that lens instead. If I'm bringing a lens of that size I want the fuller range travel lens with some good IQ to match.

I'm scratching my head on the Tamron price.   If the optics are as good as or better than the 24-105, I would think they'd price it higher than they did as it is f/2.8

Dennis from Florida's gear list:Dennis from Florida's gear list
Sony a7R III Sony 70-300mm F4.5-5.6 G SSM Sony FE 85mm F1.8 Sony FE 12-24mm F4 Sony FE 24-105mm F4 +3 more
noel2 Contributing Member • Posts: 984

I use the 24-105 with my A7rIII. A perfect combination in all circumstances. High ISO capability of the A7rII and high optical quality of the lens. Also, changing lenses often increases the problem of dust on the sensor - can get annoying while travelling.

noel2's gear list:noel2's gear list
Pentax K-5 IIs Pentax K-1 Sony a7R III Pentax smc FA 50mm F1.4 Pentax smc DA 12-24mm F4.0 ED AL (IF) +23 more
Arizona Sunset

I’m convinced Sony didn’t release a 35 f2 to protect RX1 sales.

I would glue a compact 35 f2 to an A7 III if they had one.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads