Travel Set-Up - A7R III + what lenses

Started Apr 30, 2018 | Discussions
sullivanrp
OP sullivanrp Forum Member • Posts: 54
Re: Travel Set-Up - A7R III + what lenses

Arizona Sunset wrote:

Haha, 16mm street photography must be a riot...

And $30 rental can't go wrong for certain.

Let us know how it goes.

"Street Photography" I suppose. Here are a couple I am referring to.

But I'll keep ya updated!

-- hide signature --

instagram.com/ryansullivanphoto

sullivanrp's gear list:sullivanrp's gear list
Sony a7R III Sony FE 85mm F1.8 Sony Vario-Tessar T* FE 16-35mm F4 ZA OSS Samyang AF 35mm F1.4 FE
Doux Vide
Doux Vide Contributing Member • Posts: 921

I usually tend to recommend taking only the 16-35 when travelling to cities, yet Prague and Budapest offer some nice perspective along the rivers, so I would take the 85mm as well.

Jeff108 Regular Member • Posts: 105

I’ve gone through lots of various setups in my travels and ultimately for the type of trip your on you will probably use the 16-35 90% of the time

after that you would want a fast prime for shots inside (churches, museums, restaurants )

i carry the 16-35GM, 55mm 1.8 and the 85mm 1.8

I have brought a 70-200 f4, but found I never really use it

you can always use apsc mode and the 16-35 becomes 24-52

The question is after the 16-35 should you take the 35 or  85

Jeff108's gear list:Jeff108's gear list
Sony a7R III Sony FE 85mm F1.8 Sony FE 16-35mm F2.8 Sony FE 70-200 F4 Sony FE 55mm F1.8 +3 more
travelguymiami
travelguymiami Regular Member • Posts: 110

Neurad1 wrote:

Headed to Tuscany for two weeks next month.

Right now I have the Laowa 15 2, Loxia 35 2 (it's my only 35mm prime), and the Sony24-105 packed.

I ditched the 70-300, though at first I had planned to take it for some compresed landscapes in Val d'Orcia. I just don't want to deal with the extra weight and doubt I'd use it enough to justify. Hopefully I'll get by using the 105 in APS-C mode for a few of those compressed landscape shots.

I also took the Gitzo Travel Tripod out of my suitcase and decided to leave it home.

If I lived in Tuscany and was traveling all around by car it would be different. I hope to keep it simple and get what I can with a limited kit. I'm sure I will have a few regrets. That's life.

While I can't speak for your travel weight desires, I can say that as I have just returned last month from tuscany and took photos at every sunrise and sunset, you will use the 150-300 range an insane amount of the time. The landscape is so wide open that you will be left with a lot of empty photos without it. Many of the best angles require you to be far away and zoom in. In many other cases, you would BE ABLE to get a shot with out that zoom, but would require zooming with your feet for long distances. The photo below is an example- that is at 200mm and after i already walked about 300 yards off the road . I could have zoomed out to probably 20mm and still would not have seen a single object of interest to break up the rolling hills. There are certainly still a good number of shots you can get at lower, but you'll be surprised at how often you'd want to go in much more . Its fantastic btw and I hope you love your trip.

As for the OP: when will you be in Prague? I am going to be driving through Moravia and will stop in Prague sometime in the 3rd week of May.

travelguymiami's gear list:travelguymiami's gear list
Sony a7R II Sony a7R III Sony FE 100-400mm F4.5-5.6 Sony FE 16-35mm F2.8 Sony FE 24-70mm F2.8 GM +3 more
olstrup Veteran Member • Posts: 3,731

+1.

One often reads on internet fora that a tele is of no use when travelling, but I don't agree. I wouldn't be without a medium tele - neither in a city nor in the open landscape. I like to pick out details of buildings, compress the perpective of streets etc. as well as take advantage of the compressed perspective for landscapes (like in your example). A tele is great for emphazising just the essentials and exclude the clutter in order to get better and stronger pictures. My choice for travel is the good old Nikon 200/4 AI-S - because I already had it in the closet from the film days and because it's compact and light for its focal length.

-- hide signature --

"Sharpness is a bourgeois concept." (Henri Cartier-Bresson)

biza43 Forum Pro • Posts: 10,225

Take:

1 camera

1 lens (ZA 35 f2.8)

2 lenses (above) plus 85 f1.8

Done.

-- hide signature --

www.paulobizarro.com
http://blog.paulobizarro.com/

biza43's gear list:biza43's gear list
Fujifilm X-H1 Fujifilm X-T2 Fujifilm XF 16mm F1.4 R WR Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R XF 90mm +1 more
npires
npires Senior Member • Posts: 1,738

sullivanrp wrote:

Everyone has different shooting styles, everyone likes different lenses - that aside I want to hear what some people are using out there or would use in my situation.

Heading to Prague, Budapest, Vienna this summer (2 week trip). Not a photography based trip (won't be chasing golden hours, don't want to carry ALL my gear) - but a romantic trip. Expecting most days to be walking around the cities, aside from a wine tour in austria in the countryside. Likely will not be returning to our hotel room/airbnb throughout the day. This means whatever I leave with in the morning I am carrying on my shoulder/back the entire day, potentially.

Gear I have:

A7R III | 16-35mm f4 | Rokinon 35mm 1.4 | FE 85mm 1.8 | Pre-ordered tamron 28-75

I'd say the 16-35 and the 28-75 (provided you get that before you go). This would be the ideal combination. You don't need that big 85mm 1.8 unless you're shooting some portraits. The 28-75 is more than enough. 
I normally travel with my A7II and RX100M3. With the A7II I take the 16-35 and the 28-70. This covers pretty much all the general photography. When I don't want to carry the weight with me and be ultra light I use the RX100. 
It's a great combination as they'll be places where you don't feel like taking the A7 out all the time. Especially if you're just walking around most of the day. 
Also another way I go about is keeping the 16-35 on the A7II and use the RX100 for anything over 35mm. This has suited me very well.

-- hide signature --

An avid Kickstarter Superbacker with a penchant for all things, Tech, Travel and Bag related.
-------
http://www.instagram.com/nick.does.bags/

npires's gear list:npires's gear list
Sony RX100 III Sony Alpha NEX-5 Sony a7 II Sony FE 55mm F1.8 Sony Vario-Tessar T* FE 16-35mm F4 ZA OSS +3 more
IamJF Contributing Member • Posts: 673

I would take the 1635(GM) and the 55mm!

The 85 is often to long for the evening ("bartender shot " etc.) when you are inside but gives you more "portrait" look. Way smaller as 35f1.4.

If you can afford the GM ... it's the lens for indoor/outdoor/filming/... and you can get your 35mm shot when space is very limited.

I would also bring something like a Minolta or Contax 135mm manual lens for some long shots, these lenses are still small enough. But that's personal,  I love that 135mm compression.

IamJF's gear list:IamJF's gear list
Sony a7 III Sony Vario-Tessar T* FE 16-35mm F4 ZA OSS Sony FE 35mm F2.8 Sony FE 90mm F2.8 macro Sony FE 55mm F1.8 +4 more
sullivanrp

Jeff108 wrote:

I’ve gone through lots of various setups in my travels and ultimately for the type of trip your on you will probably use the 16-35 90% of the time

after that you would want a fast prime for shots inside (churches, museums, restaurants )

i carry the 16-35GM, 55mm 1.8 and the 85mm 1.8

I have brought a 70-200 f4, but found I never really use it

you can always use apsc mode and the 16-35 becomes 24-52

The question is after the 16-35 should you take the 35 or 85

Ya the 16-35mm is one of my favorite versatile lenses. I don't intend on taking a large amount of church interiors and museum shots, honestly, they just don't interest me as they do others. I love patterns and architecture, but maybe something about growing up Catholic and looking at photos or being inside of churches all of the time turned me off on the idea of photographing them/publishing those types of photos. And at restaurants I want to be focused on the woman sitting across from me, and the food, before the space/photography opportunities.

All that being said, I still am considering the 16-35 and a fast prime, maybe even a 28 f/2. I am renting an x100 this weekend to try out as a one camera/one lens solution as well.

Thanks for the feedback, it helps having the perspective of people who have traveled and brought some of this gear along!

-- hide signature --

Sony a7R III Sony FE 85mm F1.8 Sony Vario-Tessar T* FE 16-35mm F4 ZA OSS Samyang AF 35mm F1.4 FE
sullivanrp

Unfortunately I will not be there until the last week in June!

-- hide signature --

That would be exactly my setup ... 85/1.8 is next and hope the 1635GM gets cheaper till next year.

Sony a7 III Sony Vario-Tessar T* FE 16-35mm F4 ZA OSS Sony FE 35mm F2.8 Sony FE 90mm F2.8 macro Sony FE 55mm F1.8 +4 more
sullivanrp

I think I've narrowed it down to 3 scenarios...

1. If the 24-105 stock issues are sorted out by the time I leave and I can obtain one (decided to cancel my 28-75 pre-order), I would grab that lens instead. If I'm bringing a lens of that size I want the fuller range travel lens with some good IQ to match.

So: 24-105 + 28mm f/2 or my 35 1.4 for lower light stuff. Deal with 24 as my widest rather than also carry a 16-35, and have up to 105 for those compressed landscapes and portraits (and at 42mp I can live with cropping that in quite a bit)

2. Just a 28mm f/2. Little more flexibility than a 35mm, whether 2.8 or 1.4. Wider FOV suits me more and will help with tighter spaces around cities/interiors. One lens solution on my existing camera.

3. X100F - renting this to test it out this weekend. Smaller than the sony+28 combo, no changing lenses, won't probably notice the weight compared to #1 when walking around all day. And let's be honest, it's got the aesthetic advantage too. But we will see how I actually like the performance and handling.

-- hide signature --

PeterY Senior Member • Posts: 2,269

3. X100F - renting this to test it out this weekend. Smaller than the sony+28 combo, no changing lenses, won't probably notice the weight compared to #1 when walking around all day. And let's be honest, it's got the aesthetic advantage too. But we will see how I actually like the performance and handling.

Just warning you now....you're not gonna wanna give this thing back! Get the 28mm converter and you're all set!

PeterY's gear list:PeterY's gear list
Fujifilm X100F Sony a7 III Sony a7R III Canon EF 70-200mm F4L IS USM Sony FE 85mm F1.8 +4 more
Hosko Contributing Member • Posts: 812

May I suggest if this is a new relationship that you should get them use to your photography endeavors from the get go. Dont over do it on the first outing though.

If ypur partner gets irritated by your photography then the question is this someone you want to holiday with in the future. People are on their best behaviour early in a relationship so if there is fraction about photography early then its only going to get worse later.

I would personally look for a smaller bag to fit your current kit into. A mirrorless camera and a couple of lenses can fit into a very small bag. Have your cake and eat it to.

sullivanrp

Hosko wrote:

May I suggest if this is a new relationship that you should get them use to your photography endeavors from the get go. Dont over do it on the first outing though.

If ypur partner gets irritated by your photography then the question is this someone you want to holiday with in the future. People are on their best behaviour early in a relationship so if there is fraction about photography early then its only going to get worse later.

I would personally look for a smaller bag to fit your current kit into. A mirrorless camera and a couple of lenses can fit into a very small bag. Have your cake and eat it to.

This is getting a little too personal for me, but relationship advice taken I suppose!

I still haven't nailed a bag down yet either, thats another rabbit hole. But will largely be based on the camera I choose to take.

-- hide signature --

The 28/2 is somehow uninspiring for me. Like to use it for video but in comparison to the Sony/Zeiss stuff ... I  grab thec35/2.8 or 55 when possible.

24-105mm will suit you well for sure. I prefer to carry my cam in a belt bag, wouldn't want to have that weight around my neck.

Much fun & enjoy!  And visit Schönbrunn on a sunny day

sullivanrp

PeterY wrote:

Just warning you now....you're not gonna wanna give this thing back! Get the 28mm converter and you're all set!

Have you used it a lot, both with and without the converter? The converter definitely intrigues me, as I find my preferred FL always seems to be between 28-35 for walk-around.

-- hide signature --

Check out Cosyspeed Camslinger - best bag for a small A7 setup.

PWPhotography Senior Member • Posts: 7,680

16-35mm f4 and Tamron 28-75 should be great setup, Rokinon 35mm 1.4 if take evening photos hand-held.

I went to exact the same cities (except wine tour) a few years ago with A7r, 5D III, EF 24-70L/2.8 II, EF 70-200L/4.0 IS, FE 35/2.8 ZA and FE 55/1.8 ZA then. Carried two sets in daytime then returned hotels, left 5D III there and only carried A7r with tripod for evening photos.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/55485085@N04/albums/72157642018613634

Love all these three cities, very romantic

Personally I will still carry two cameras as it's a hassle for me to swap lenses. Now FE 16-35 GM (or EF 24-70L/2.8 II, one of them) on A7r III, FE 70-200G (or Batis 135 for lighter/smaller option) on A7r II (or A9), FE 55, Canon 17L TS-E swap in when needed.

PWPhotography's gear list:PWPhotography's gear list
Canon EOS-1D Mark III Sony a9 Sony a7R III Canon TS-E 17mm f/4L Canon EF 24-70mm F2.8L II USM +15 more
Dennis from Florida
Dennis from Florida Regular Member • Posts: 334

IamJF wrote:

Check out Cosyspeed Camslinger - best bag for a small A7 setup.

I noticed B&H has one for $20 and one for $120...looks like the same size...must be materials are better.

Dennis from Florida's gear list:Dennis from Florida's gear list
Sony a7R III Sony 70-300mm F4.5-5.6 G SSM Sony FE 12-24mm F4 Sony FE 85mm F1.8 Sony FE 24-105mm F4 +3 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads