Travel Set-Up - A7R III + what lenses

Started Apr 30, 2018 | Discussions
sportyaccordy Forum Pro • Posts: 14,595
Re: Travel Set-Up - A7R III + what lenses

I would try to think about what you're going to shoot. In my experience, these kinds of trips prompt the following kinds of photography:

1. Environmental portraiture (outdoors/indoors, mostly day with some night)
  2. Street scenes/photography
  3. Architecture
  4. Some landscapes

With that in mind, coming from a blank lens slate, I would want a discreet 35-40 for indoor stuff, a fast 50 for the outdoor portraiture/street stuff, an ultrawide for architecture and basically some coverage from ~16-200 for landscapes. So from what I have I would bring my Samyang 14, Canon 40 STM, Rokinon 50 1.4 and probably a legacy telephoto prime like a 135mm to cover the gamut for landscapes.

From what you have, I imagine the 16-35 and 28-75 could be enough; I would want a 50 1.4 for street stuff/portraits and that telephoto prime just in case. I'd only go out with 2 or 3 lenses tops each day.

-- hide signature --

Sometimes I take pictures with my gear- https://www.flickr.com/photos/41601371@N00/

sportyaccordy's gear list:sportyaccordy's gear list
NEX-5T Sony a7R II Canon EOS 5D Mark IV Canon EF 24-85mm f/3.5-4.5 USM Sigma 70-200mm F2.8 EX DG Macro HSM II +6 more
Jonathan117 Regular Member • Posts: 107

If photography is not the focus of the trip I will take either my X100F or I will pack the A6300 with a few lenses.  I can normally get the A6300, 10-18, 18-105, Sigma 19 and the 50 1.8 in a small sling back that I can carry the entire day without trouble.

The X100F is handy but I miss many of the features from my Sony.  Autofocus is far better on the Sony and the face and eye af make taking people photos much easier.  Also moving pictures from your camera to phone to Instagram works much better on the Sony as the Fuji app is quite awful.  For Europe I need a wide angle lens so the X100F just does not cut it for those indoor church shots.

I went to Paris and Ireland last year and took the 16-35 f4, 50 macro and 24-240.  Overall I was pretty satisfied with the results but the combo was quite heavy after walking 15-25 miles each day in Paris.  The wide angle was a must and apart from a few shots I could have likely done the trip with a 50 prime vs. the heavy 24-240.

Jonathan117's gear list:Jonathan117's gear list
Fujifilm X100F Sony a7R III Sony FE 35mm F2.8 Sony FE 70-200 F4 Zeiss Batis 25mm F2 +5 more
splashy
splashy Veteran Member • Posts: 3,039

gaseouscreature wrote:

I don't travel without my Sony 24-240 lens. Super-zoom with excellent quality, and good enough for any pro account, unless it's going into a glossy magazine.

+1

splashy's gear list:splashy's gear list
Sony a7R III Sony FE 28mm F2 Sony FE 24-240mm F3.5-6.3 OSS Sony FE 70-300mm F4.5-5.6 G OSS Sony FE 50mm F1.8 +1 more
sullivanrp
OP sullivanrp Forum Member • Posts: 54

splashy wrote:

gaseouscreature wrote:

I don't travel without my Sony 24-240 lens. Super-zoom with excellent quality, and good enough for any pro account, unless it's going into a glossy magazine.

+1

Forgot about this one. Oh dear.

-- hide signature --

instagram.com/ryansullivanphoto

sullivanrp's gear list:sullivanrp's gear list
Sony a7R III Sony Vario-Tessar T* FE 16-35mm F4 ZA OSS Sony FE 85mm F1.8 Samyang AF 35mm F1.4 FE
bpatient Regular Member • Posts: 340
Pack light: one or two lenses--and a cell phone

sullivanrp wrote:

Not a photography based trip . . . but a romantic trip.

The author of the post linked below suggests that there are really two types of photographs that you might be interested in making on your outing--a “romantic” trip that is not designed to be "photography based":

• Capturing a memory
  • Creative work

Almost of the images that you'll bring back will be in the first category, and—since you’ll likely view those images on screen and never consider turning them into large prints—those memories could be saved with a lightweight camera like the RX100 V--or the cell phone that you'll likely be carrying. Because artistic expression doesn't require you to cover myriad focal lengths or be ready for any and all photographic opportunities, one or two favorite lenses should suffice for the second category of images without turning your planned romantic adventure into a rather less romantic, gear-laden photo safari.

https://www.dearsusan.net/2018/04/23/715-monday-post-23-april-2018-finding-a-useful-spot-for-my-smartphone-in-my-photographic-workflow/

As for me: I’d take my A7R III and only a 25mm and a 55mm lens (or perhaps, instead, the Voigtlander 65mm that I'd like to try) along with the RX100--and expect that the tiny camera would (in lieu of a cell phone) get most of the work. Since you are considering the Fuji, you might be happy with just the RX7 III and 35--plus your cell phone.

bpatient's gear list:bpatient's gear list
Carl Zeiss Tele-Tessar T* 4/85 ZM Sony FE 55mm F1.8 Carl Zeiss Distagon T* 1,4/35 ZM Zeiss Loxia 25mm F2.4
Arizona Sunset
Arizona Sunset Senior Member • Posts: 3,795

gaseouscreature wrote:

Retired pro here. I don't travel without my Sony 24-240 lens. Super-zoom with excellent quality, and good enough for any pro account, unless it's going into a glossy magazine.

The 24-240mm is underrated around these here parts.

Arizona Sunset's gear list:Arizona Sunset's gear list
Canon G7 X II Sony RX1R II Sony RX100 VI Apple iPhone 7 Plus
Dennis from Florida
Dennis from Florida Regular Member • Posts: 334

I've been to all those cities. Prague has a wealth of photo ops. Vienna...a little. Budapest is also good.

I agree with your plan - wide angle and normal zooms. I had a 24-70 for most shots and carried a Sony NEX for those times I didn't want a big camera.

Here's a few of my shots on Flickr

Dennis from Florida's gear list:Dennis from Florida's gear list
Sony a7R III Sony 70-300mm F4.5-5.6 G SSM Sony FE 85mm F1.8 Sony FE 12-24mm F4 Sony FE 24-105mm F4 +3 more
(unknown member) Senior Member • Posts: 8,068

I am from Germany. I would take the three lenses you already got and leave the new Tamron at home.

PS: Great photos on your Instagram !!! Somewhat surprised, that a photographer like you asks for lens advice. That's usually reserved for noobies, who don't know the different focal length or the difference between f2 and f4 in practice.

bpatient Regular Member • Posts: 340
Re: Pack light: one or two lenses--and a cell phone

bpatient wrote:

you might be happy with just the RX7 III and 35--plus your cell phone.

Well, I meant to type A7R III . . . .

bpatient's gear list:bpatient's gear list
Carl Zeiss Tele-Tessar T* 4/85 ZM Sony FE 55mm F1.8 Carl Zeiss Distagon T* 1,4/35 ZM Zeiss Loxia 25mm F2.4
(unknown member) Senior Member • Posts: 8,068

sullivanrp wrote:

Sounds like a solid set-up. Currently have a relative traveling in Italy with a 24-105 and 35mm 1.4 (canon) and is loving the pairing. The 24-105 does seem to be the travel lens of choice. I can't deal with the stock issues of it for sony, though

You can buy it from reputable dealer right now: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Sigma-24-105mm-1-4-DG-OS-HSM-Art-Series-for-Sony/323196556365?hash=item4b4004144d:g:H6MAAOSweDdayMDX

If you need better f-stop for shallower DOF, then you would be better off with a set of primes. Just my personal opinion, being a PLOG "prime-lens-only-guy"

Also check out this discussion: https://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/61079531

sullivanrp

Thank you

-- hide signature --

Sony a7R III Sony Vario-Tessar T* FE 16-35mm F4 ZA OSS Sony FE 85mm F1.8 Samyang AF 35mm F1.4 FE
Alantkh Regular Member • Posts: 315

BBQue wrote:

I am from Germany. I would take the three lenses you already got and leave the new Tamron at home.

PS: Great photos on your Instagram !!! Somewhat surprised, that a photographer like you asks for lens advice. That's usually reserved for noobies, who don't know the different focal length or the difference between f2 and f4 in practice.

+1 I think u should have plenty of experience and know what u want

daran
daran Regular Member • Posts: 298

BBQue wrote:

sullivanrp wrote:

Sounds like a solid set-up. Currently have a relative traveling in Italy with a 24-105 and 35mm 1.4 (canon) and is loving the pairing. The 24-105 does seem to be the travel lens of choice. I can't deal with the stock issues of it for sony, though

You can buy it from reputable dealer right now: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Sigma-24-105mm-1-4-DG-OS-HSM-Art-Series-for-Sony/323196556365?hash=item4b4004144d:g:H6MAAOSweDdayMDX

That is not the lens you are looking for. It's for A-mount.

daran's gear list:daran's gear list
Sony a7R II Sony FE 55mm F1.8 Sony FE 70-300mm F4.5-5.6 G OSS Zeiss Batis 18mm F2.8 Sony FE 24-105mm F4 +5 more
sullivanrp

Appreciate the compliment! Haha I haven't done much travel, especially with a significant other. That territory is much newer to me than the photography side.

Possibly walking around all day and carrying gear on my shoulders (when its not a paid gig) doesn't sound as appealing in the travel scenario.

I think I'm going to rent an x100 soon for a weekend and put it through its paces, then go walk around with my 35 1.4 and 16-35 and see how I like the feel better.

Part of me likes the idea of doing the fuji x100 and the sony, picking up one or the other depending on the day's itinerary we determine.

-- hide signature --

kelstertx Veteran Member • Posts: 4,934

sullivanrp wrote:

Everyone has different shooting styles, everyone likes different lenses - that aside I want to hear what some people are using out there or would use in my situation.

Heading to Prague, Budapest, Vienna this summer (2 week trip). Not a photography based trip (won't be chasing golden hours, don't want to carry ALL my gear) - but a romantic trip. Expecting most days to be walking around the cities, aside from a wine tour in austria in the countryside. Likely will not be returning to our hotel room/airbnb throughout the day. This means whatever I leave with in the morning I am carrying on my shoulder/back the entire day, potentially.

Gear I have:

A7R III | 16-35mm f4 | Rokinon 35mm 1.4 | FE 85mm 1.8 | Pre-ordered tamron 28-75

My thoughts so far: Pretty much ruled out the 85mm because its too niche and would only likely be used for portraits or scenic views, aka carrying dead weight around. The 35 1.4 can achieve the portraits I'd want while still being a friendly street photography/normal field of view walk around. Love the 1.4 look. The 16-35 would basically take all the interior/architecture shots any place we visit. 28-75 general use for anything really, compromises on wide end, but decently light and covers a lot.

Any tips/advice from someone who has been to these cities or travels a lot given my options? A Fuji x100 is on my mind as well just to say screw it, don't carry multiple lenses, and have a pocketable camera.

For me personally, 28mm is as wide as I ever need to go. Assuming your Tamron arrives in time, I would take just that one. No lens changes on vacation takes a lot of the hassle away. Every time you're about to leave for the day, you just grab the small daily bag - no worrying about which lenses to pack. My daily bag is only big enough for the body with one attached lens.

But that's just me. Only you know if you can get by without the other focal lengths.

-Kelly

kelstertx's gear list:kelstertx's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M10 II Olympus E-M1 II Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm F4-5.6 R Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm F1.8 Panasonic Lumix G X Vario PZ 45-175mm F4.0-5.6 ASPH OIS +4 more
sportyaccordy Forum Pro • Posts: 14,595

Another idea is to pick up an old RX1. It has its quirks, and you'll obviously be limited to 35mm, but it seems perfect for minimalist travel. That lens is supposedly the bees knees and worth all the... quirks.

-- hide signature --

Sometimes I take pictures with my gear- https://www.flickr.com/photos/41601371@N00/

sportyaccordy's gear list:sportyaccordy's gear list
NEX-5T Sony a7R II Canon EOS 5D Mark IV Canon EF 24-85mm f/3.5-4.5 USM Sigma 70-200mm F2.8 EX DG Macro HSM II +6 more
sullivanrp

sportyaccordy wrote:

Another idea is to pick up an old RX1. It has its quirks, and you'll obviously be limited to 35mm, but it seems perfect for minimalist travel. That lens is supposedly the bees knees and worth all the... quirks.

Ya I've considered an Rx1 versus an X100. The pop-up viewfinder sort of bugs me, instead of just having a fixed one. The RX1R II seems better than the mk i in that matter. And full frame + that 35mm f/2 seem killer, not to mention megapixel count for cropping. It felt a little small in my hand when I handled it in a store, ergonomically I wasn't in love with the feel of it. But I guess I could get past that, if I also got past the price point being more than double the x100...

I'll have to look into it a bit more. If the x100 rental I do doesn't sell me on it then I will have to rent the rx1r ii too.

-- hide signature --

Arizona Sunset

sullivanrp wrote:

sportyaccordy wrote:

Ya I've considered an Rx1 versus an X100. The pop-up viewfinder sort of bugs me, instead of just having a fixed one. The RX1R II seems better than the mk i in that matter. And full frame + that 35mm f/2 seem killer, not to mention megapixel count for cropping. It felt a little small in my hand when I handled it in a store, ergonomically I wasn't in love with the feel of it. But I guess I could get past that, if I also got past the price point being more than double the x100...

I'll have to look into it a bit more. If the x100 rental I do doesn't sell me on it then I will have to rent the rx1r ii too.

It sounds like an itch you just have to scratch.  What does a rental cost for an X100?  Surely you could buy the original or an X100S for pennies on the dollar now.

A while back, I went through a similar debate, and used the RX1 (1 year), X100S/T (1 month each), RX1R II (1 year).

The Fuji Classic Chrome simulation was a lot of fun, and some of my most memorable moments were from it. I preferred the handling of the Fuji by a mile.

None of these combinations beat a the newer R III or 7 III with the 28mm in my opinion, but the fun of the compactness (or OVF/EVF) is there.

sullivanrp

Arizona Sunset wrote:

sullivanrp wrote:

sportyaccordy wrote:

It sounds like an itch you just have to scratch. What does a rental cost for an X100? Surely you could buy the original or an X100S for pennies on the dollar now.

A while back, I went through a similar debate, and used the RX1 (1 year), X100S/T (1 month each), RX1R II (1 year).

The Fuji Classic Chrome simulation was a lot of fun, and some of my most memorable moments were from it. I preferred the handling of the Fuji by a mile.

None of these combinations beat a the newer R III or 7 III with the 28mm in my opinion, but the fun of the compactness (or OVF/EVF) is there.

$30 for a weekend rental of an x100 locally. Easy decision. I'll pick one up and walk around the city for a day or so.

The 28mm is also on my radar as a cheap alternative too on the a7r iii. From experience I find I shoot a lot right around 30-32mm, so I think the 28 would be a good option if a fixed 35 doesnt come into play (cause no way im shelling out for a leica Q, it also isn't as compact as the others and at that point i should just stick to the a7r III)

It's hard for me to analyze focal lengths in LR with my portfolio/past images because so little of it is from traveling, but rather events, landscapes, sports, etc. The one instance I have of more street photography in my archive seemed to be shot on my 16-35 and almost every shot I saved was from 16mm, so raises more concerns. (I think this is largely because I like to shoot close to people without them thinking I have a camera pointed straight at them, the ultrawide definitely helped with that - But I know a smaller camera will have a similar effect versus a larger canon 1d I was using before for those) And, at the same time, I know all of my mobile work with an iphone when I don't have my camera is close to 30mm. And I have plenty of photos I love from that FL.

-- hide signature --

Arizona Sunset

Haha, 16mm street photography must be a riot...

And $30 rental can't go wrong for certain.

Re: Leica, when I traveled to Tokyo earlier this year, you would not believe the number of folks with the newer Leica mirrorless and Q cameras in the fashion districts.  Seemed like every other camera was a Sony or Leica.

Let us know how it goes.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads