Travel Set-Up - A7R III + what lenses

Started Apr 30, 2018 | Discussions
sullivanrp
sullivanrp Forum Member • Posts: 54
Travel Set-Up - A7R III + what lenses
1

Everyone has different shooting styles, everyone likes different lenses - that aside I want to hear what some people are using out there or would use in my situation.

Heading to Prague, Budapest, Vienna this summer (2 week trip). Not a photography based trip (won't be chasing golden hours, don't want to carry ALL my gear) - but a romantic trip. Expecting most days to be walking around the cities, aside from a wine tour in austria in the countryside. Likely will not be returning to our hotel room/airbnb throughout the day. This means whatever I leave with in the morning I am carrying on my shoulder/back the entire day, potentially.

Gear I have:

A7R III  |  16-35mm f4  |  Rokinon 35mm 1.4  |  FE 85mm 1.8  |  Pre-ordered tamron 28-75

My thoughts so far: Pretty much ruled out the 85mm because its too niche and would only likely be used for portraits or scenic views, aka carrying dead weight around. The 35 1.4 can achieve the portraits I'd want while still being a friendly street photography/normal field of view walk around. Love the 1.4 look. The 16-35 would basically take all the interior/architecture shots any place we visit. 28-75 general use for anything really, compromises on wide end, but decently light and covers a lot.

Any tips/advice from someone who has been to these cities or travels a lot given my options? A Fuji x100 is on my mind as well just to say screw it, don't carry multiple lenses, and have a pocketable camera.

-- hide signature --

instagram.com/ryansullivanphoto

 sullivanrp's gear list:sullivanrp's gear list
Sony a7R III Sony Vario-Tessar T* FE 16-35mm F4 ZA OSS Sony FE 85mm F1.8 Samyang AF 35mm F1.4 FE
Fujifilm FinePix X100 Sony a7R Sony a7R III
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
SafariBob
SafariBob Contributing Member • Posts: 675
Re: Travel Set-Up - A7R III + what lenses

sullivanrp wrote:

Heading to Prague, Budapest, Vienna this summer .

Gear I have:

A7R III | 16-35mm f4 | Rokinon 35mm 1.4 | FE 85mm 1.8 | Pre-ordered tamron 28-75

My thoughts so far: Pretty much ruled out the 85mm because its too niche and would only likely be used for portraits or scenic views, aka carrying dead weight around. The 35 1.4 can achieve the portraits I'd want while still being a friendly street photography/normal field of view walk around. Love the 1.4 look. The 16-35 would basically take all the interior/architecture shots any place we visit. 28-75 general use for anything really, compromises on wide end, but decently light and covers a lot.

I think the 16-35 + 28-75 is good for daytime, and the 1.4 good for evening, if bringing the camera. Personally I have the 24-105 on order. But considering swapping my 16-35 for a 10-18.

Any tips/advice from someone who has been to these cities or travels a lot given my options?

My main advice is to get most of the photography done in Prague, it’s a lot prettier than the two other cities. In Budapest I would mainly recommend the spas and the ruin bars. Try to get outside the cities too if you can, take the train and make a stop or rent a car and drop by some villages.

A Fuji x100 is on my mind as well just to say screw it, don't carry multiple lenses, and have a pocketable camera.

i have set my eyes on an rx1 for the same purpose, but would be intrigued to hear your experiences with the 35 1.4.

instagram.com/ryansullivanphoto

Very slow internet here, but will check that one out!

 SafariBob's gear list:SafariBob's gear list
Sony a7R II Sony 70-400mm F4-5.6 G SSM Sony FE 35mm F2.8 Sony Vario-Tessar T* FE 16-35mm F4 ZA OSS
sullivanrp
OP sullivanrp Forum Member • Posts: 54
Re: Travel Set-Up - A7R III + what lenses

SafariBob wrote:

I think the 16-35 + 28-75 is good for daytime, and the 1.4 good for evening, if bringing the camera. Personally I have the 24-105 on order. But considering swapping my 16-35 for a 10-18.

My main advice is to get most of the photography done in Prague, it’s a lot prettier than the two other cities. In Budapest I would mainly recommend the spas and the ruin bars. Try to get outside the cities too if you can, take the train and make a stop or rent a car and drop by some villages.

i have set my eyes on an rx1 for the same purpose, but would be intrigued to hear your experiences with the 35 1.4.

Thanks for the reply!

I appreciate the trip advice as well as the camera thoughts. I like the idea of an rx1 - besides the fact that the fuji is 1/2 the price and has some newer features.

The rokinon 35mm 1.4 seems pretty good from my initial testing and walks, at least my copy. And I grabbed it for $550 on sale brand new. Really hard to beat that price on a 35mm 1.4 with AF. The only hindrance is its size, especially for travel. But I love the focal length and the 1.4 look.

-- hide signature --

instagram.com/ryansullivanphoto

 sullivanrp's gear list:sullivanrp's gear list
Sony a7R III Sony Vario-Tessar T* FE 16-35mm F4 ZA OSS Sony FE 85mm F1.8 Samyang AF 35mm F1.4 FE
Neurad1
Neurad1 Senior Member • Posts: 2,498
Re: Travel Set-Up - A7R III + what lenses

Headed to Tuscany for two weeks next month.

Right now I have the Laowa 15 2, Loxia 35 2 (it's my only 35mm prime), and the Sony24-105 packed.

I ditched the 70-300, though at first I had planned to take it for some compresed landscapes in Val d'Orcia. I just don't want to deal with the extra weight and doubt I'd use it enough to justify. Hopefully I'll get by using the 105 in APS-C mode for a few of those compressed landscape shots.

I also took the Gitzo Travel Tripod out of my suitcase and decided to leave it home.

If I lived in Tuscany and was traveling all around by car it would be different. I hope to keep it simple and get what I can with a limited kit. I'm sure I will have a few regrets. That's life.

 Neurad1's gear list:Neurad1's gear list
Sony RX1 Sony RX100 III Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus PEN E-PL5 Olympus E-M1 +44 more
sullivanrp
OP sullivanrp Forum Member • Posts: 54
Re: Travel Set-Up - A7R III + what lenses
1

Sounds like a solid set-up. Currently have a relative traveling in Italy with a 24-105 and 35mm 1.4 (canon) and is loving the pairing. The 24-105 does seem to be the travel lens of choice. I can't deal with the stock issues of it for sony, though, and the tamron is cheaper and has the extra stop which I will use more often outside of this singular trip.

Let me know how Italy goes!

-- hide signature --

instagram.com/ryansullivanphoto

 sullivanrp's gear list:sullivanrp's gear list
Sony a7R III Sony Vario-Tessar T* FE 16-35mm F4 ZA OSS Sony FE 85mm F1.8 Samyang AF 35mm F1.4 FE
jandu
jandu Regular Member • Posts: 331
Re: Travel Set-Up - A7R III + what lenses
1

You should be doing OK with the 16-35 f4, for night time or low light pics, the 35 f1.4 should work.

I have a set up quite the same, 16-35 f4 with the ZM 35 f1.4, so my night time set up is MF, which will take a while longer to set up. But it works just the same. I do carry a longer, small/tiny Minolta Rokkor 90mm f4 for the few occasions that may require a bit of a tele.

The places you have planned are really nice places to visit. Don't worry about the pics, just enjoy the time, food and sights, and maybe your companions.

Have a fun time!

SafariBob
SafariBob Contributing Member • Posts: 675
Re: Travel Set-Up - A7R III + what lenses
1

Awesome photos on your Instagram btw!

 SafariBob's gear list:SafariBob's gear list
Sony a7R II Sony 70-400mm F4-5.6 G SSM Sony FE 35mm F2.8 Sony Vario-Tessar T* FE 16-35mm F4 ZA OSS
Arizona Sunset
Arizona Sunset Senior Member • Posts: 3,795
Re: Travel Set-Up - A7R III + what lenses

A compact system, or a lone prime.

For a system... the 85mm must come along even though you’ll only use it for her and a few other compression shots, and the 16-35 wide angle must also come because Europe’s doors open with a wider field of view. The debate between 24/28/35 for a wide angle is irrelevant. None of them are wide enough for Europe.

If you are going the lone prime route, I would bring the 35mm f1.4 or the 28mm f2. The 16-35 f2.8 would be better, too expensive to acquire for this trip probably. The Fuji is another option but I’d skip it in favor of the color depth of the filmic A7R III files.

 Arizona Sunset's gear list:Arizona Sunset's gear list
Canon G7 X II Sony RX1R II Sony RX100 VI Apple iPhone 7 Plus
peteygas Regular Member • Posts: 120
Re: Travel Set-Up - A7R III + what lenses
5

24-105 is all you need

 peteygas's gear list:peteygas's gear list
Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-140mm F3.5-5.6 O.I.S
PeterY Senior Member • Posts: 2,269
Re: Travel Set-Up - A7R III + what lenses
4

As you said, this isn't a photography trip but a romantic one. I wouldn't take more then 1 lens. Last year I did Europe with my A6500 and of all lenses, the kit lens. Loved the size....and I took mostly snaps so it was fine.

This year I am headed to the Caribbeans with my X100F. So we are in a similar frame of mind.

If you can have the Tamron before your trip, that would most definitely be the only one I'd take. Or ditch them all for the X100 like you said.....now that's romantic!

Lugging around a big camera bag with multiple lenses isn't very romantic in my books!

 PeterY's gear list:PeterY's gear list
Fujifilm X100F Sony a7R III Sony a7 III Canon EF 70-200mm F4L IS USM Canon EF-S 10-18mm F4.5–5.6 IS STM +4 more
Arizona Sunset
Arizona Sunset Senior Member • Posts: 3,795
Re: Travel Set-Up - A7R III + what lenses
4

peteygas wrote:

24-105 is all you need

Meh, wide and fast would be missed.

 Arizona Sunset's gear list:Arizona Sunset's gear list
Canon G7 X II Sony RX1R II Sony RX100 VI Apple iPhone 7 Plus
Rol Lei Nut Veteran Member • Posts: 4,576
Re: Travel Set-Up - A7R III + what lenses

Travelling through Liguria and Tuscany right now, including mountain walks.

What I've taken:

Kit A - Sony 24-105 + UWA (in my case Leica WATE 16-18-21, though any good 18mm prime would be a good alternative).

Kit B for mountains and light moving - UWA (the WATE again) + Pentax K 28 3.5 (in other situations I take a Leica M 35 2.0 mk IV) + Leica Macro-Elmar-M 90 4.0.

I've also packed an ancient, slow and light Canon ef 100-300 5.6 L for good quality 200 & 300mm shots if I need them.

Alantkh Regular Member • Posts: 315
Re: Travel Set-Up - A7R III + what lenses
4

http://www.flyingmummy.com/prague2017/

The above is my photos on my recent trip to the cities you mentioned. I travel with lens very similar to yours. Ultra wide, 35mm f1.4, 85mm f1.8.

the 85mm gives me a lot of shots, my keepers is around even for all three lens.

to me it’s either three lens or just one travel zoom. If I really have to bring one kens only, I probably will get the 16-35mm F2.8

sjazz
sjazz Contributing Member • Posts: 659
Re: Travel Set-Up - A7R III + what lenses

If it is not a photography trip, in my case I’d leave the FF at home and pack the A6xxx with the 10-18mm, the 18-70mm and perhaps the FE 85mm F1.8

But it’s about the A7xxxx, so I take the 16-35mm F4, the 28-75mm (24-105mm in my case) and a fast prime around 35mm or 50mm (mine are F2)

-- hide signature --

j.a.

 sjazz's gear list:sjazz's gear list
Sony a7 II Sony a7R III Zeiss Loxia 50 Zeiss Loxia 85mm F2.4 Sigma 135mm F1.8 Art +21 more
sullivanrp
OP sullivanrp Forum Member • Posts: 54
Re: Travel Set-Up - A7R III + what lenses

PeterY wrote:

As you said, this isn't a photography trip but a romantic one. I wouldn't take more then 1 lens. Last year I did Europe with my A6500 and of all lenses, the kit lens. Loved the size....and I took mostly snaps so it was fine.

This year I am headed to the Caribbeans with my X100F. So we are in a similar frame of mind.

If you can have the Tamron before your trip, that would most definitely be the only one I'd take. Or ditch them all for the X100 like you said.....now that's romantic!

Lugging around a big camera bag with multiple lenses isn't very romantic in my books!

She knew what she was getting herself into when she started dating a photographer, right? 

-- hide signature --

instagram.com/ryansullivanphoto

 sullivanrp's gear list:sullivanrp's gear list
Sony a7R III Sony Vario-Tessar T* FE 16-35mm F4 ZA OSS Sony FE 85mm F1.8 Samyang AF 35mm F1.4 FE
sullivanrp
OP sullivanrp Forum Member • Posts: 54
Re: Travel Set-Up - A7R III + what lenses

Alantkh wrote:

http://www.flyingmummy.com/prague2017/

The above is my photos on my recent trip to the cities you mentioned. I travel with lens very similar to yours. Ultra wide, 35mm f1.4, 85mm f1.8.

the 85mm gives me a lot of shots, my keepers is around even for all three lens.

to me it’s either three lens or just one travel zoom. If I really have to bring one kens only, I probably will get the 16-35mm F2.8

Wonderful photos, thanks for sharing and giving me an idea of lens selection.

-- hide signature --

instagram.com/ryansullivanphoto

 sullivanrp's gear list:sullivanrp's gear list
Sony a7R III Sony Vario-Tessar T* FE 16-35mm F4 ZA OSS Sony FE 85mm F1.8 Samyang AF 35mm F1.4 FE
Neurad1
Neurad1 Senior Member • Posts: 2,498
Re: Travel Set-Up - A7R III + what lenses

sullivanrp wrote:

Sounds like a solid set-up. Currently have a relative traveling in Italy with a 24-105 and 35mm 1.4 (canon) and is loving the pairing. The 24-105 does seem to be the travel lens of choice. I can't deal with the stock issues of it for sony, though, and the tamron is cheaper and has the extra stop which I will use more often outside of this singular trip.

Let me know how Italy goes!

Yeah, the Tamron is indeed enticing. I have the 24-70 GM (purchased in the past). It's a bit sharper than the Sony 24-105 in my experience, but too big and heavy for this old guy to carry around all day.

The Tamron is lighter (550g) than the Sony 24-70 GM (886g). The 24-105 is a compromise, for sure....weighing it at 663g but slower, but it also covers more FLs.

Seems like Sony frequently has issues with supply when they make a good lens....Is that careful manufacturing to avoid dusty inventory or keeping demand and prices high? Who knows. Competition is good. It was pretty interesting to see the price of the Batis 135 drop (to about the same price) when the Sigma 135 ART was announced. However, at 1130g (Sigma) vs. 614g (Batis), I'd buy the Batis if I was looking for a 135. Now how did I get off on that tangent? Oh yeah...I was looking at the Batis 135 as a candidate for a light travel tele (instead of taking my 70-300).

 Neurad1's gear list:Neurad1's gear list
Sony RX1 Sony RX100 III Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus PEN E-PL5 Olympus E-M1 +44 more
Gary Dean Mercer Clark
Gary Dean Mercer Clark Veteran Member • Posts: 5,613
Re: Travel Set-Up - A7R III + what lenses

I have the Sigma 24-105mm F 4 lens in Canon EF mount with the Sigma MC-11 that works flawlessly with my new Sony A7R3.  The lens is large, but that is the only lens you would need as it covers from wide angle to portrait focal length.  This is a great lens and a good price.  Just a thought.

sullivanrp wrote:

Everyone has different shooting styles, everyone likes different lenses - that aside I want to hear what some people are using out there or would use in my situation.

Heading to Prague, Budapest, Vienna this summer (2 week trip). Not a photography based trip (won't be chasing golden hours, don't want to carry ALL my gear) - but a romantic trip. Expecting most days to be walking around the cities, aside from a wine tour in austria in the countryside. Likely will not be returning to our hotel room/airbnb throughout the day. This means whatever I leave with in the morning I am carrying on my shoulder/back the entire day, potentially.

Gear I have:

A7R III | 16-35mm f4 | Rokinon 35mm 1.4 | FE 85mm 1.8 | Pre-ordered tamron 28-75

My thoughts so far: Pretty much ruled out the 85mm because its too niche and would only likely be used for portraits or scenic views, aka carrying dead weight around. The 35 1.4 can achieve the portraits I'd want while still being a friendly street photography/normal field of view walk around. Love the 1.4 look. The 16-35 would basically take all the interior/architecture shots any place we visit. 28-75 general use for anything really, compromises on wide end, but decently light and covers a lot.

Any tips/advice from someone who has been to these cities or travels a lot given my options? A Fuji x100 is on my mind as well just to say screw it, don't carry multiple lenses, and have a pocketable camera.

-- hide signature --

" A fool and his money soon part"--advice I heard my grandfather give.

olstrup Veteran Member • Posts: 3,731
Re: Travel Set-Up - A7R III + what lenses

It depends.

Do you want native FE mount or adapted lenses?

Do you want zooms or primes?

Do you want AF or MF?

Do you want new or legacy?

My take has been a reuse of my old Leica M lenses + a single Nikon AI-S:

WATE, Summicron 35 type IV, Tele-Elmarit 90, Nikon 200/4 AI-S.

Such a setup is small and light. It covers everything from super-WA to medium tele. Now, the WATE and the Summicron 35 is expensive second hand, but the Tele-Elmarit 90 can be found for a reasonable cost. The Nikon 200/4 AI-S is a bargain, considering the quality. If a 135mm is wanted, one should check out the Leica Tele Elmar 135/4 (first or second version) - in practice apochromatic optics, compact size and built to last a lifetime, can be found for very reasonable prices.

As for which lenses to bring to which cities: I don't believe in some lenses suitablæe for one city and other lenses for another city. It all depends on which pictures you want to bring back.

-- hide signature --

"Sharpness is a bourgeois concept." (Henri Cartier-Bresson)

gaseouscreature Forum Member • Posts: 67
Re: Travel Set-Up - A7R III + what lenses
3

Retired pro here. I don't travel without my Sony 24-240 lens.  Super-zoom with excellent quality, and good enough for any pro account, unless it's going into a glossy magazine.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads