A7iii (Sony mirrorless in general) artifacts in EVF

Started Apr 28, 2018 | Discussions
Ken Ross Contributing Member • Posts: 957
A7iii (Sony mirrorless in general) artifacts in EVF

I've noticed this when shooting stills with my A7iii and prior A7Rii. The EVF shows artifacts that are not present when shooting video. The image in the EVF is clean and artifact-free in video mode, but when switching to stills mode, artifacts show up as rainbows around fine detail or edges on certain objects. This isn't related to zebras or any focus/exposure assist.

I have a GH5 and I don't see this same issue with it. I've always wondered why this is.

Ken Ross's gear list:Ken Ross's gear list
Sony RX100 VI Panasonic GH5 Sony a7 III
Panasonic GH5
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
oriomenoni Contributing Member • Posts: 556
Re: A7iii (Sony mirrorless in general) artifacts in EVF

I have noticed this problem in the A7III only, when enlarging the pictures. The A7RIII doesn't show that.
I think this may be caused by the lower resolution of the EVF in the A7III model.
The pictures however are not affected. It is only a monitoring problem.
For people who do a lot of manual focusing, the A7RIII is a more suitable camera.

oriomenoni's gear list:oriomenoni's gear list
Sony a7R II
The Davinator
The Davinator Forum Pro • Posts: 22,383

It's the lower rez EVF of the a7iii.  All EVFs have their quirks.

The Davinator's gear list:The Davinator's gear list
Canon EOS D30 Canon EOS 10D Nikon D2X Fujifilm X-Pro1 Fujifilm X-T1 +17 more
OP Ken Ross Contributing Member • Posts: 957

The Davinator wrote:

It's the lower rez EVF of the a7iii. All EVFs have their quirks.

Actually, when I was researching this, I found numerous complaints from A7Riii users too. So it seems endemic to Sony mirrorless EVFs. Despite the higher rez of the EVF in the A7Riii, the same complaints were voiced by a number of people. IMO that significantly mitigates the advantages of the higher rez EVF in the A7Riii. Interestingly, when I use my GH5 for stills, I don't see this issue at all.

But If you shoot a lot of 4K video as I do with the A7iii, you'll find the issue disappears when using the EVF for video. So something weird changes in the way information is displayed in the EVF in stills mode vs movie mode.

ArtAlt
ArtAlt Senior Member • Posts: 1,973

oriomenoni wrote:

For people who do a lot of manual focusing, the A7RIII is a more suitable camera.

Crucial insight, thanks!

-- hide signature --
 ArtAlt's gear list:ArtAlt's gear list
Nikon D810 Nikon D750 Sony a7 III Nikon 85mm F1.8G Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm F4G ED VR +4 more

Ken Ross wrote:

The Davinator wrote:

Actually, when I was researching this, I found numerous complaints from A7Riii users too. So it seems endemic to Sony mirrorless EVFs. Despite the higher rez of the EVF in the A7Riii, the same complaints were voiced by a number of people.

Well, count me out. I have the A7RIII and no problem whatsoerver with enlarging images in the EVF.

Sony a7R II
OP Ken Ross Contributing Member • Posts: 957

oriomenoni wrote:

Ken Ross wrote:

The Davinator wrote:

Actually, when I was researching this, I found numerous complaints from A7Riii users too. So it seems endemic to Sony mirrorless EVFs. Despite the higher rez of the EVF in the A7Riii, the same complaints were voiced by a number of people.

Well, count me out. I have the A7RIII and no problem whatsoerver with enlarging images in the EVF.

I don't think the question is whether the image is compromised when enlarging, but rather how it appears at normal magnifications. In that case both cameras seem to suffer from some type of moire which becomes less of an issue upon enlargement. I had the same issue with my A7Rii.

techjedi
techjedi Senior Member • Posts: 3,579

Ken Ross wrote:

I've noticed this when shooting stills with my A7iii and prior A7Rii. The EVF shows artifacts that are not present when shooting video. The image in the EVF is clean and artifact-free in video mode, but when switching to stills mode, artifacts show up as rainbows around fine detail or edges on certain objects. This isn't related to zebras or any focus/exposure assist.

I have a GH5 and I don't see this same issue with it. I've always wondered why this is.

My theory here is that in video mode, the camera is previewing at the shutter speed of the video which is usually 1/50 or 1/60 in default modes. This is usually "slow enough" that the sensor gain does not need to be greatly increased to show you a normal exposure.

However, in stills mode, the EVF in Display Quality=High is 120hz, or updating at 120 times per second. Lets say that roughly 1/120. So there is half as much light captured to "preview" in the EVF/LCD, so more gain is applied on the sensor to make it visible and thus more noise artifacts are visible.

To test this theory, can you reduce the Display Quality to Standard and see if the difference between video is as pronounced?

techjedi's gear list:techjedi's gear list
Sony a7R III Sony FE 70-200 F4 Sony FE 90mm F2.8 macro Sony RX100 Sony a6500 +18 more
Vz777
Vz777 New Member • Posts: 4

Interesting enough the kind of moire only shows when you half press the shutter button. It is very distracting and annoying. Regarding to the standard or HD setting, I thought that's just for the LCD back screen?

Foivos Junior Member • Posts: 25

I noticed the following during shooting through the evf on Sony A7 iii

On af-c and af-a the evf image changes angle a little bit during focusing and shows some artifacts

on af-s mode evf is crystal clear.

Sony mentions on the online help guide

• When [Continuous AF] or [Automatic AF] is set, the angle of view may change little by little while focusing. This does not affect the actual recorded images.

I think that the change on the angle of view creates the artifacts which are not showing during af-s focus.

I will be obliged if you post your findings.

Foivos's gear list:Foivos's gear list
Nikon D2X Nikon D700 Nikon D800E Sony a7 III Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR +7 more
Trollmannx Senior Member • Posts: 5,458

The A7III finder is a bit busy.

Adjusting the diopter scale on the eyepiece might help - the image in the viewfinder is worse when slightly out of focus.

Guess most will adapt rather quickly - after the initial critical peep I do not have second thoughts when looking into the A7III viewfinder. After all it is just a finder...

Well - at least there is a good reason to get the next incarnation of the 7 series... 

Isabel Cutler
Isabel Cutler Forum Pro • Posts: 17,760
Re: I got excited when I read your observation....

Foivos wrote:

I noticed the following during shooting through the evf on Sony A7 iii

On af-c and af-a the evf image changes angle a little bit during focusing and shows some artifacts

on af-s mode evf is crystal clear.

Sony mentions on the online help guide

• When [Continuous AF] or [Automatic AF] is set, the angle of view may change little by little while focusing. This does not affect the actual recorded images.

I think that the change on the angle of view creates the artifacts which are not showing during af-s focus.

I will be obliged if you post your findings.

...and thought, "Oh, that's why I'm having a problem.  I'm in Af-C mode.  Went to change it and I WAS in AF-S mode!

Back to square one.

I took my RX10 iv outside to see if it too shimmered and had moire in the bright sun and found no shimmering and a tiny bit of moire.  It sells for $200 less and has a similar viewfinder.  Why should the A7 iii be so bad?

Isabel

-- hide signature --

“If you shoot film, you’re a photographer. If you
shoot digital, you’re an editor.” - Charlie Kirk
http://www.pBase.com/isabel95
https://www.flickr.com/photos/isabel95/

Isabel Cutler's gear list:Isabel Cutler's gear list
Sony RX10 IV Canon EOS 7D Olympus PEN E-PL5 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Olympus OM-D E-M10 II +1 more

You're welcome

Sony a7R II
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads